Music lovers on hubpages!

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (43 posts)
  1. felixkugz profile image41
    felixkugzposted 12 years ago

Hey everyone! This question is to all those who can't live without their music. Who is the greatest artist that has ever lived?

1. profile image0
      RookerySpoonerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is impossible to name the greatest artist of all time, becasue there are many different styles of music, everything from opera to rap music..And each artist has their own interpretation, style and voice quality..

2. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since there are so many different genres and artists within each from classical symphony to todays music, it is difficult to select any one era or music or composer or performer.

3. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would say John Lennon and Paul McCartney. You can't separate them and their influence is still with us today. They took Rock n' Roll and launched it somewhere into another dimension. There's never been anything quite as astonishing than the effect The Beatles had on popular music.

4. stayingalivemoma profile image84
      stayingalivemomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...Michael Jackson or Jill Scott or Kem or Anita Baker or Teena Marie or Luther Vandross or........

2. felixkugz profile image41

Let me rephrase my question. Who is your favourite artist considering your taste in music?

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Depending on my mood, I like listening to world music, traditional folk, baroque, classical, modern classical or mediaeval/renaissance music.

I have preferred composers as well as preferred performers.

It is impossible for me to name a single favourite even within each of these categories separately, let alone a single overriding favourite.

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I also despise this pressure to define "best", "top", "hot" and give ranks and scores to everyone and everything.

5. qsera profile image47
    qseraposted 12 years ago

Bryan Adams! I simply love his songs smile

6. felixkugz profile image41

Excellent choice qsera!

7. felixkugz profile image41

Writeangled helo!
    Theres no artist that comes to your mind when the question is poped to you? All things considered nobody can fit this criteria?
    Even so on a scale of one to ten award points to
    1. The 'hotest' artist...the one who had their moments but also had their lows.
    2. 'Top' to mean they constantly put out songs that dominated charts worldwide
    3. 'Best' to mean an artist that you couldn't live without
    Remember on a scale of 1-10. And if you have an absolute best go ahead and name them just like qsera has done.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can live without anything if necessary.

I have no idea who has what place in what chart. Charts do not interest me and I do not follow them.

Well contenders for some of my personal tops might be:

The sacred music of Monteverdi, particularly when performed by Rene Jacobs and his group.
      Beethoven for his Missa Solemnis, especially the moment when flute and soprano interweave on the "et incarnatus est" in the Credo
      Dvorak for his Stabat Mater
      Fritz Kreisler playing the Beethoven Violin Concerto
      Verdi for his Requiem
      Emma Kirkby singing Monteverdi
      Heather Harper singing Mahler
      Leonard Bernstein conducting just about anything, and also his composition: Chichester Psalms
      Michael Tippet for his Midsummer Marriage opera
      Mozart for his Requiem and Magic Flute

and in a lighter mood:
      Jacques Loussier and the Play Bach Trio
      Stephane Grappelli
      Sabina Yannatou
      Ruth Jaakov
      Nana Mouskouri
      Itzakh Perlman playing klezmer
      Jamie Smith's Mabon
      Mose Fan Fan
      Steeleye Span with Maddy Prior
      Bob Marley

This is today. Tomorrow, the list could well change at least in part.

8. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

It depends on the Genre' of music. I like all types of music and can listen to anything and everything, so that question would be a little complicated for me.

9. sidds123450 profile image58
    sidds123450posted 12 years ago

I love A. R. Rahman, music composer..!!!

10. iamjo5h profile image64
    iamjo5hposted 12 years ago

Lady Gaga !

11. classicalgeek profile image81
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

I'm a professional musician, and people are always asking me this question. The problem is, when someone asks, my brain turns into an auditorium of a thousand third-graders, all waving their hands in the air and shouting, "Pick me! Pick me!" So I don't answer that question, because if I tried I would get paralyzed and fall over.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way. My parents are retired professional musicians. I listen to most genres. But somehow, when I hear "greatest musician," I do feel that you have to  talk about classical music-whichever specific artist you might choose-because they have been dead for hundreds of years and people still perform them and influence other composers-something that can't be known about our own lifetimes. For me then, the so-called contest would have to be between people like Wagner, Beethoven, the Strauss family , Brahms etc.

1. classicalgeek profile image81
        classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm more of the early music type, so I'd be hard-pressed to pick among Dufay, Dunstaple, Binchois, Ockeghem, Obrecht, Frescobaldi, Palestrina, De Machaut, Janequin, Allegri, and hundreds of others, and I've barely scratched the surface. I will point out that CMM picked Dufay for Volume 1.

12. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I guess that would be a toss up between Antonín Dvořák and Steve Perry.

13. DSPickett profile image70
    DSPickettposted 12 years ago

My faves (and influences) include Frank Zappa, Charles Mingus, Mike Oldfield, Kurt Weill, Alan Parsons (alongside Eric Woolfson), a lot of classic rock, progressive, punk and late 70s proto-New Wave. (Television, Gary Numan) - too many, once I get started. In the classical world, the relatively small oeuvre of Samuel Barber has had a tight clutch on my musical brain for many years now. I'm also very keen on Bach, Bernstein, and only fairly recently, Vivaldi. Well, best stop now, as I'm leaving out sp many ...

14. felixkugz profile image41

Hey!
    All am seeing are mostly classical music lovers. Are there no hiphop lovers on hubpages? Jay-z? Anyone?:-)

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh goodness I like hip-hop too. R&B etc. Music is song for our souls. smile

1. felixkugz profile image41
        felixkugzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hehe...you have no idea how much i love my hiphop music. Trance is also catching up. What song are you feeling now?

15. Alecia Murphy profile image71
    Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

I like all kinds of music. I do hubs on pop music felixhugz, if you're interested.

16. Billy Donahue profile image70
    Billy Donahueposted 12 years ago

If i had to choose one, i would have to say Paul McCartney.

17. parveenicai profile image60
    parveenicaiposted 12 years ago

Mj..mj..mj...

18. profile image0
    RookerySpoonerposted 12 years ago
  19. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

The greatest artist that ever lived? Well I'll have to derive from my classic rock as I'm most familiar with this genre.

I don't know.
    My favorites are (some)...well ACTUALLy maybe Billy Joel. His lyrics are so clever especially the Stranger.
    smile

20. felixkugz profile image41

I see we all have different tastes... Keep those nominations coming in and if a name pops up often enough, they will be considered the musical kings of HP. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

21. mjfarns profile image61
    mjfarnsposted 12 years ago

The answer is easy: Tom Waits! He's America's greatest living songwriter. (And yes, I realize Bob Dylan is still alive!)

22. profile image53
    Jakeliesposted 12 years ago

Music is a way to get peace of mind.It is wonderful passion to learn.Moreover, i have learn play the Guitar.Thank you for this useful information.
    http://www.hurghadaeconomy.com/member.php?u=127624

23. trecords0 profile image60
    trecords0posted 12 years ago

From our time I would have to say that Frank Zappa was the most prolific and diversified composers of the 20th century.  Yellow Shark is an orchestral masterpiece.

24. profile image0
    TTC12posted 12 years ago

Hard to say who was the best who ever lived. There are too many who changed the face of music, each withing their won generation.

My favorite would always be the Allman Brothers Band, because it was their music that set me on my path of learning to play guitar and appreciated music.

25. how'd i get here? profile image61
    how'd i get here?posted 12 years ago

Every artist is great in their own way. To some, what they create might not even sound like music.

My personal favourite? For tonight, I'd say Paramore, but that's just me.

1. stayingalivemoma profile image84
      stayingalivemomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love Paramore! I especially like the song she did on the Twilight movie soundtrack!

26. mtkomori profile image88
    mtkomoriposted 12 years ago

Hmmm...difficult question. I guess you can pick a few artists for each genre. In rock, it must be either Elvis Presley or The Beatles. In pop, Michael Jackson and for classical music maybe Yo Yo Ma (the cellist).

27. nicnac profile image61
    nicnacposted 12 years ago

Bruce Springsteen... here's hoping I get tickets for his Irish tour in the morning!! Unbelievable man!

28. Reality Bytes profile image76
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Any of the artists signed to Psychopathic records.

Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope Whoop Whoop!!

29. jdsutherland profile image60
    jdsutherlandposted 12 years ago

That's a tough one but for me... at the moment... i would say Celine Dion

30. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

Tori Amos! But that's down to the effect her music had on my life during some very dark days dealing with severe depression. I consider her music 'survivor music' and her music could help me feel stronger in myself back in those dark days. I don't think any other musician could be said to have saved my life with their music but Tori would start playing in my head sometimes when I needed it most, thus changing my emotional state from ready and walking to the bridge to jump to simply wanting to be home and warm with some of her music.

That said, these days Florence and the Machine is keeping me going while doing some very boring and tedious work! lol

31. weestro profile image77
    weestroposted 12 years ago

Artist?  Ray Charles Singer? Sam Cooke Song Writer? Bob Dylan

32. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

Most will disagree but I just love the music of Morrissey and The Smiths!

33. jtyler profile image59
    jtylerposted 12 years ago

I would have to say it was Miles Davis or Dizzy Gillespie.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)