From the protesters:

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (40 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

First, I want to say that I totally support peaceful protests. I'm also sure that many of the Wall Street protesters have a clear purpose as to their reasons for protesting. It's obvious, however, that some are just there to be part of a protest, in general. I'm sure there are some like this in every protest group. These are some of the responses from the protesters, when asked what they were protesting:

What are you protesting?

- Whitey is trying to take over the world and get rid of all the other races.

- The government is sneaking poisons into our foods.

- I'm protesting all the money we send to Israel.

- The Jews are taking over the U.S. They control all the money.

- The government is changing our genetics. I have 2 children, and one has good hair, but the other one doesn't. That's genetic, man. There's no way that could happen if our genetics hadn't been messed with.

I'm not saying there isn't a grain of truth to some of these assertions. I'm just saying that they're not all there to protest corporate greed. BTW, I love the last example I provided!

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand how these people manage to lift spoon to mouth to feed themselves; they obviously don't have two brain cells to rub together. smile

You're right - that last one is a doozy

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, wilderness!

2. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago
  3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Any protest for anything will draw people with other ideologies or fears, and when approached by someone willing to listen, then they are more than happy to open mouth and insert foot, just because they have been noticed.

This is just an example of the divide and willful ignorance going on in this country. roll

1. Moderndayslave profile image61
      Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point but if we don"t try, what ? Do nothing?

Contact your congressman.  Start a political party.  Start a bank.  Write to your newspaper.  Write a hub on it.  Look for others with similar complaints and discuss. 

Lots of things to try, and none of them require you shut down other peoples activities or destroy property.

If that stuff worked they wouldn't be there.

Actually, I seriously doubt that any of them have done any of that except perhaps for the 2 or 3 organizers.  Let each protester write their congressman instead of rioting and let each of them push other people to do the same and you just might get something done.

1. road2hell profile image64
              road2hellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like what you say -- "might" get something done.  Highly unlikely.  Politicans normally ignore citizens when something needs to be done, especially if it's an issue with the corporations.  Who supports the politicans in power?  It doesn't take a brain sturgeon to figure ths at one out.

And it is ok for the Tea Party have it's protest and not the left-wingers?  Where is your democracy now?

2. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Better yet start your own currency, and back it 100% with gold and silver.

Problem is, that will probably get you in far, far more trouble than waving a placard outside a bank.

1. kerryg profile image85
            kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about backing it with gold and silver, but the transition town movement has some alternative local currencies going and I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for it yet.

2. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And, how often have you seen a protest accomplish anything positive? I've seen protests turn really bad and many people end up getting hurt. Not to mention, when those who protest are protesting specific things, such as abortion- then it simply skews individual rights.

Get a bunch of people opposed to abortion and then all of a sudden, new laws are created to diminish/take away rights.

Get a bunch of people opposed to whatever and then all of a sudden something changes and then oppression starts.

I understand the problem on Wall Street better than most. However, what many people do not realize is that there's a better way to handle things and it's about time people woke up to the fact that if they want specific things in their life then they need to do more to get them.

The people on Wall Street are in it for the money, that's what Wall Street was made for......to make money from the Global Markets. If more people were better educated and had a little initiative to better themselves, then this entire point would be moot.

Post a solution.

2. Cagsil profile image69

Did you not read this statement in my post or just overlook it on purpose?

No I read it the first time. Very Vague. Post a way for the people to correct this and disburse.Yes they are in it for the money, but buying our reps to pave the way for more raping of the declining middle class shouldn't be tolerated

1. Cagsil profile image69

Then apparently you didn't understand it.
              If I have to explain the simple words I conveyed, then I would suggest you go get educated.
              I did. To get educated and have a little initiative to better themselves. If I explain that in any other manner, then people are going to tell me that I don't know what is in their best interests and it's not my place to tell them that I know what's best for them, which isn't my intention to begin with. But, the appearance will be there for all to see.

Those who refuse to continue learning, then choose ignorance. Those who choose or refuse to better themselves, are either choosing ignorance or are just completely lost in understanding their own life.

Either way, it's not like they would listen.
              MORE government regulation isn't the option either. MORE Laws are NOT the option either.

The only way to prevent them from "more raping of the declining middle class" is to better educate people and get them to understand their own life.

Nice try on the condescending part. It still seems you have no answer but to Get Educated,how does education help with inflation caused by unregulated commodities,bailouts of entities that should be auctioning off their furniture to pay creditors,but instead our tax money bailed them out?Glass Steagall seemed to be working fine until they gutted it then Phill Gramm got a sweetheart  job with UBS after his political career was over. We wont mention the Government Sachs revolving door with the US government either. The AIG bailout was so they could pay Goldman Sachs? who then took our money on top of it.Maybe you missed these two
                http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/01/1 … y-families
                http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-h … res/nCgbY/
                If you can't screw over your veterans who can you screw?
                Nice job and your answer is to get educated and grab your ankles but smile while doing so.
                As far as this one
                "The only way to prevent them from "more raping of the declining middle class" is to better educate people and get them to understand their own life."      Not everyone is born with the same ability,whether they are applying themselves fully or they aren't capable but who's to judge,you?

1. Cagsil profile image69

It wasn't meant to be condescending, but that's how you took. Color me oh so surprised.
                  First off, by the government not bailing them out in first place. There's no such thing as "TOO BIG TO FAIL" or do you think there is?

Education helps reduce inflation if people actually do work(either employed or self-employed).
                  What's your point? These are just two people doing a job.
                  Sure why not mention it? Did it receive money and it shouldn't have? Probably. It's part and parcel of what I have been calling "status quo = corporate protectionism".
                  Again, "too big to fail" BS. So please.
                  The fact that veterans are getting screwed is government's fault there's no doubt about that. It spends money improperly. This is common knowledge.
                  Willful ignorance among citizens is the problem and it stems from education(lack of).
                  True enough, however there are more born with the capability than not. To think that more people are born with less ability than the average person is utterly ridiculous.

3. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The protests are serving as a catalyst to raise awareness and "wake people up."

Think Occupy Wall St is a Phase?  You Don't Get it

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/111004103034-rushkoff-occupy-wall-street-story-top.jpg

Wake people to what?  That evil govt is changing our genetics and making bad hair as the one protester said? smile

1. profile image0

Apparently, you have not yet awakened.  smile

2. profile image61
            logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If they were in touch with reality, they would be in Washington.  The banks and other financial institutions will only do what the laws passed by Congress will let them.  Yeah,yeah, I know some go beyond that, but for the most part it is true.  The reason they are on Wall Street is that most if not all voted for Obama and the Dems, so they are not willing to admit the error of their ways so they go to Wall Street knowing that they will get on TV.  Then they can text their buddies and tell them what a great protester they are and they are justified in their actions because they have been on TV.

1. recommend1 profile image60
              recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If your government ran your country that might be true - your owners operate through Wall street.   Just because you don't undestand how others have the guts to stand up and do something about all the things that everyone has been griping about, there is no need to try to reduce what these protesters are doing by repeating the drivel from your owner's media.

2. lovemychris profile image77
              lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some people really have no clue, IMO.

Was it gvt policy? Yes...starting with Reagan, and going from there.

The one Dem who tried to lessen the pain, well you see what happened to him: years and years of going after him, resulting in being impeached for cheating on his wife and lying about it.

And which party tries to put some rules and regs on the Greed-Mongers, and which party fights it tooth and nail?

Now you have seen the huge psy-op done on Obama.....Gee, wonder why?

Politicians: Get with the American people, or get lost.

Wall Street has NO loyalty to the people....of ANY country, let alone the USA.

And any pol who has no loyalty to the citizens who pay them can gtfo.

And any citizen who supports these pols.....stop calling yourselves "patriots".

These young people are the patriots...and they see the REAL problems!

Awesome Manifesto!

3. profile image0

I understand.  You don't get it.  It makes you feel uncomfortable.

Don't worry, you can carry on with your life as usual.

4. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 12 years ago

First official statement from Occupy Wall Street Movement

This was unanimously voted on by all members of Occupy Wall Street last night, around 8pm, Sept 29. It is our first official document for release. We have three more underway, that will likely be released in the upcoming days: 1) A declaration of demands. 2) Principles of Solidarity 3) Documentation on how to form your own Direct Democracy Occupation Group. This is a living document. you can receive an official press copy of the latest version by emailing c2anycga@gmail.com.

Declaration of the Occupation of New York City

As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.

They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.

They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.

They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.

They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these practices.

They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.

They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.

They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.

They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.

They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.

They have sold our privacy as a commodity.

They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.

They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.

They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.

They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them.

They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.

They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.

They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.

They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.

They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.

They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.

They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.

They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*

To the people of the world,

We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.

Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

Join us and make your voices heard!

Nice !

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a powerful statement.

3. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your my New Best Friend!I've been saying these folks would get organised and it's about time.
      There is one point I'd like to make however,Direct Democracy did not work in Athens two plus centuries ago and it wont work now.Plato changed his mind about it and wrote"The Republic"which was the model America was founded upon.We were,and hopefully still are,the Beacon of hope for the world as a Republic,a just republic,for some two hundred years.That worked beautifully with adjustments made through amendments.We need to get back to the system that worked...not direct democracy which precipitates chaos and anarchy.imho.

1. profile image0

I agree.  I see this movement as a catalyst to generate involvement from those who have remained silent for a very long time.  I think many people hoped Obama would be the catalyst for change, and have realized he can't be without a major transformation of our system.  It remains to be seen how or if that transformation will occur.

5. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

It is high time the 99% woke up.
    We've got them outnumbered 99:1.
    And we have our Second Amendment rights, too!
    Next thing we do let's kill all the bankers!!!
    (sorry, getting a little silly here).

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ok calm down.nice big breaths...
      big money rules the country and corporate greed has pushed people to the edge..

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think it was silly. I was ready to join your hit squad smile

6. TKs view profile image61
    TKs viewposted 12 years ago

Good statement from the protesters.
    I also believe that if a person wants greater, they must attempt greater things.
    Truly, education is a cornerstone of being able to live better.  Sadly, this is one of the places the U.S. is lagging behind. Not only in promoting those who teach, but falling way short in demonstrating the value of education.
    Too many young people have the 'handout mentality', but where do you think they get it from? Dunk a basketball and we'll pay you several million a year.  Put out a sex tape of yourself and get your own reality show. Get elected not because you stand for something, but because you've already sold your votes on the house or senete floor for the next few years.  These are the people we support with our choices.   And by 'we', I mean all of us that complain about the way things are or how much better they used to be.  We're all a part of this and if it's going to change its going to take all of us to get it done.  Meanwhile those who don't want the change try to create just the right amount of civil war so that we don't stand as one nation.

7. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

About time people woke up.  This is the 11th hour of the last day to change anything.  Soon you (we) will all be barcoded and bound up by  so many laws and loss of free speech that any resistance will be futile.  THEY predict this, not me, with their private prisons ready to take double the current prison population, new bills of 'human rights' that are designed to remove rights etc etc.  THEY have removed so much money from the lower parts of society that most are enslaved to the bank through credit card and mortgage.  In a collapsing economy the only way out for  THEM is globalisation and perpetual war.

99% - it is time to wake up.

8. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

The People are awake? Damn you guys took a long time.

I DID MY TIME, and I want out!
    So abusive FAITH!
    It doesn't cut, this soul is not so vibrant.
    The reckoning, the sickening.
    Back at your subversion.
    Psuedo-sacred sick before dawn.
    Go to your deserts, go dig your graves!
    Then fill your mouth with all the money you will save.
    Sinking in, getting smaller again.
    I'm done! It has begun, I'm not the only one!

And the reign will kill us all.
    Throw ourselves against the wall.
    But no-one else can see.
    The preservation of the martyr in me.

Psychosocial, Psychosocial, Psychosocial.

oooO
    There are cracks in the road we lay.
    But we're the devil filth, the secret death gone mad.
    This is nothing new, but would we kill it all?
    The hate was all we had!
    Who needs another mess, we could start over.
    Just look me in the eyes and say I'm wrong!
    Now there's only emptiness, burn elicit self threat.
    I think we're done, I'm not the only one!

But no-one else can see.

Fate! Cannot catch this lie, (Psychosocial)
    I've tried to tell you thrice! (Psychosocial)
    Your hurtful lies are giving out. (Psychosocial)
    Can't stop the killing, I can't help it. (Psychosocial)
    If it's something secret. (Psychosocial)
    Is this what you want? (Psychosocial)
    I'm not the only one!

But no-one else can see.

But no-one else can see.

SLIPKNOT

9. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

One more just to make it clear!

The movie ran through me
    The glamour subdued me
    The tabloid untied me
    I'm empty please fill me
    Mister anchor assure me
    That Baghdad is burning
    Your voice it is so soothing
    That cunning mantra of killing
    I need you my witness
    To dress this up so bloodless
    To numb me and purge me now
    Of thoughts of blaming you
    Yes the car is our wheelchair
    My witness your coughing
    Oily silence mocks the legless boys
    Who travel now in coffins
    On the corner
    The jury's sleepless
    We found your weakness
    And it's right outside your door

Now testify
    Now testify
    It's right outside your door
    Now testify
    Yes testify
    Its right outside your door

With precision you feed me
    My witness I'm hungry
    Your temple it calms me
    So I can carry on
    My slaving sweating the skin right off my bones
    On a bed of fire I'm choking on the smoke that fills my home
    The wrecking ball is rushing
    Witness your blushing
    The pipeline is gushing
    While here we lie in tombs
    While on the corner
    The jury's sleepless
    We found your weakness
    And it's right outside your door

Now testify
    Yeah testify
    Now testify
    Now testify

Mass graves for the pump and the price is set
    And the price is set
    And the price is set
    And the price is set
    And the price is set

Who controls the past now controls the future
    Who controls the present now controls the past
    Who controls the past now controls the future
    Who controls the present now?

Now testify
    Testify
    Now testify
    Testify

Rage Against The Machine

10. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Millenia, perhaps?

Gotta respect those brain sturgeons.  After they finish with their carping and floundering around, they'll be singing a different tune.  In bass, of course. lol

@wilderness - I appreciated your reference to the OP, even if it was otherwise overlooked or ignored.

1. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oops,Well,two hundred,two thousand,at my age time doesn't matter anymore.I mean,I'm pretty sure I sat behind Plato in the third grade...or was that Socrates?Hmmm,those Greek Philosophers all looked alike to me...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)