Which is better - Cremation or Burial ?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (35 posts)
  1. dranjesh profile image40
    dranjeshposted 14 years ago

Every year more than 50 million people die worldwide. The two main forms of funeral rites adopted by most are either cremation or burial.

The Parsis (Zoroastrians) in Mumbai, India, a small community, leave their dead out in the open in the Towers of silence to be consumed by vultures.

In the past some civilizations would embalm their dead in the process of mummification.

Now the question is :
    Can the method of disposal of the dead can contribute to or alleviate the distress that the ancestor has to go through in the subtle realm ?

Which is better - Cremation or Burial ?

"Through spiritual research methodologies, we have examined the effect of some of the main modern types of funeral rites from the point of view of helping our ancestors in the afterlife."

Do visit this link for details and you are welcome to post in your valuable comments...

<snipped - do NOT start threads for the sole purpose of promotion or posting links!>

1. RKHenry profile image62
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Vultures?  Are you kidding me?  Hell no, no way!  I know I'd be dead and all, but if someone left me to the vultures, I'd be well on my way of making their lives just as miserable as my death.  Vultures?  That's nasty.  Gross.

1. Shil1978 profile image86
        Shil1978posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What happens when you are buried you think? Decomposition is nasty as well - if you chose to watch the process of it.

1. RKHenry profile image62
          RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fire is just fine with me.

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Parsis consider this as the last act of charity. smile

1. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Makes no difference to me.Its just dust anyways,will be gone.

2. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I think I would rather just not die but being mummified sounds cool.  Probably a crime nowadays though.  Sucks you know, you gotta pay to be alive and you gotta pay when your dead.

Money, money, money ugh!  I don't honestly really care what happens to my body when I am dead, I personally wont be in it.

1. Shil1978 profile image86
      Shil1978posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would never want to be mummified for sure. Wouldn't want people to see me that way - all shriveled up with my insides being sucked out, ugh!!

3. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

1) There's a beach in Newcastle where I'd like my remains scattered.

2) But I don't want to be cremated.

1. Jewels profile image82
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But you don't want your body chopped up and scattered?

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Won't they stink then? Or is this exactly your purpose? wink

1. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You got it!

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

no embalming, mo cremation - people should be buried fresh and free so all their goodness can rot into the ground and revitalize their surroundings.

i really believe that, is that weird?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually there are some places like this. I think I read f one in N.California-- in a beautiful forest. No casket, as I recall. Perhaps a cardboard box, or unfinished wood.

1. countrywomen profile image60
        countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The thought of the body lying in the serene Yosemite area is so peaceful and wonderful (especially in fall season when the flowers would fall and cover the body) smile

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah my mom says she would like to be left on a snowy mountain.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Since we are running out of space everywhere in the world I would say cremation is the best way to go.

7. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I prefer burial as I am not a bit thrilled about my body being burned, although I do know I would never know it, or so they say.smile

8. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

I want to be cremated. As a good gardener, I am very fond of worms, but I am not interested in being eaten by them.

9. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

Francis Drake style, burial at sea:

Slung atween the round shot in Nombre Dios Bay,
    And dreaming all the time of Plymouth Hoe.

10. lawretta profile image61
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

Well as for me,i will like to be buried the old fashion way. In a casket and put 6fit in the ground, wearing my bridal gown.

11. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

Cremating is the practice of caste Hindus. This may the best way to keep the earth clean. If burried, the flesh, bones, nerves, blood, etc. decomposes and creates a lot of small creatures. That place of burial will remain useless for a very long time, indeed for decades. Even afterwards, the bones can be unearthed in some places.  This will make drinking water unsafe. Cremating, that too electric cremation is best.  But leaving a body on the rooftop for vultures is certainly not good. Dead or live, it was once the body of a man... how can we tolerate it being bitten by vultures and others?

12. mugshot profile image57
    mugshotposted 14 years ago

Cremation happens alot in the UK, this started around 120 years ago and is the outcome of the fact that there is just no consecrated land to bury all the dead nowadays and what land is available costs a small fortune.

Religious beliefs before this time in the UK was that people had to be buried as close to a church as possible and those who had done criminal wrong were purposefully not buried on consecrated land so their spirits would not rest.

Things changed when consecrated land ran short and the religous leaders had to convince the UK people that cremation was okay. 

All my family that have sadly passed (God bless them) have all been cremated but I hope to be buried in the small village of Kozarsko in Pazardzhik, Bulgaria. The burial ground is on a hill overlooking the village in the foothills of the Rhodope mountains.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image68
      Lady Guinevereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would like my body parts to be utilized to save lives and then cremated.  Religions tend to forget that the body is ashes to ahsed sust to dust.  Dust it came from and dust it shall go.  The soul and mind lives on.

13. crusador profile image71
    crusadorposted 14 years ago

cremation or burial doesn't make any difference to a dead. Each and every particle of the body has to go back from where it orginated. Ultimately everything is to get mixed in the soil and this way several nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium etc. shall be added to the soil and utilized by plants and living beings. Crematiom shall result in loss of few nutrients. Decomposition is the best way of utilization by soil microbes and all living things.I'm convinced that something that has lost it's utility shouldn't occupy any space on this earth.Hence, cremation is the best choice.

14. compu-smart profile image89
    compu-smartposted 14 years ago

This topic brings me to a subject that's always in my mind with many people being killed, either by murder or accidents where bodies cannot be recovered, and because of this, I think we should all consider alternative funeral arrangements if this does happen to us!

For example. What if someone wanted to be cremated, but because there is no body!, what would the loved ones do for a funeral!?

Just a few things that cross my mind about this subject, i thought important to share!

As for me, I will be donating my body to the medics.! It's the least I could do to help others especially under the circumstances! to give back for all the free medical help Ive had and have!

15. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

Just as an aside, I knew a man who operated the crematorium for a medium sized town. It was in use fairly continuously. He said it was quite high-tech. Gas-fired and closely temperature controlled. There were fine water sprays at different heights in the smoke-stack, and various filters and fans, the aim being to ensure that no visible smoke would appear, as that can distress the relatives.

16. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

Many of us today have made a Living Will where our bodies will be donated to the medical colleges for research. Most students of surgery find it hard not to have human bodies to work on. It's hard for people with a religious bent of mind perhaps - but I know in the city I live in in India, if you have made a Living Will specifying your wish, the people from the hospital attached to the college come in and are extremely professional - they handle everything - the eyes are removed for donation first. It also frees your children from having to make decisions on your behalf.

17. profile image57
    Hell N0posted 14 years ago

They'd both suck if we were still alive.

18. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Burial ( with a nite-light) just in case

19. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I like watching movies where people die a lot. At least it keeps ever aware of the frailty of life. But here's what kills me in a movie though. Where the bad guy has been seeking to kill the good guy for a really long time,then he finally gets the chance.and instead of getting it over with,he starts making this awfully long speech.i'm like,just kill the guy already,when he's dead he's dead.he's not gonna be in some afterlife or wherever and go like,damn just imagine what this guy said to me before he shot me.
    My point is,when you're dead,you're dead. It doesn't matter what they do to you. You're still dead, anyways.

20. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Odd post.  But it should be of course, left up to the individual and the family's wishes.  Work the obit desk of a large newspaper, wink.  You learn a lot about this stuff...

21. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Now there's one more thing I like about Zoroastrians.  Was Freddy Mercury consumed by Vultures?  I have instructed my family to have my remains ground into cat food.  Dead bodies are a valuable commodity that should not be wasted.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL wink Maybe the body should be zapped for moisture and the resulting water given to the Navajo Indians to replenish the holy mountain up there so business interests wouldn't have to use gray water to make snow for skiing?  What'ya think?

How's the weather in Flagstaff? smile

22. Juliet Christie profile image67
    Juliet Christieposted 14 years ago

When one thinks of the amount of money spend for casket and all that goes with burial I would opt for cremation. But my children and husband would never go for that. Cremation is a clean process that does save a lot of land space but I suppose the earth does need the nutritents that decompostion supplies

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)