How can we get unemployment down?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Just read the US added 103,000 jobs last month but the unemployment rate of 9.1% remains untouched. That is dismaying.

Americans need work.
    Where will these jobs come from?
    When will they arrive and in what form?
    WILL they arrive?
    Will they arrive ONLY if a GOP candidate takes the White House?

Your thoughts on this complex and worrisome problem.
    Feel free to include discussion of world economic collapse -- or keep your comments restricted to the US only.

Thanks for sharing your theories and opinions.
    MM

1. Sue B. profile image93
      Sue B.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The usual way of lowering the unemployment rate is changing the criteria for "unemployed."
      Technically, there are more people without a job than the "unemployed."  In the US people are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work.  That means the homeless, disabled, people who stopped looking, etc. are not counted.

I have no idea how to get the rate to change.  the economy is too big for me.  My only idea then is that the economy is too big and we need to get back to smaller pockets of economies instead of one large global one.  It think we also need more jobs, work and focus on tangible goods.  Too many jobs became "fake" in the sense they have no real product I can actually take a picture of and show you.

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not having looking into it Sue, those figures come from the 'official' unemployment office rolls? Right? Adding to your etc, that would also mean those from say agriculture aren't  counted either when a crop fails or is tainted with ecoli, or the senior citizen on SS looking for work to subsidize that, or the student trying to pay rent, or the person who was fired nixed from the unemployment rolls, or the self employed no longer employed since those taxes were negated, or all those Hollywood actors/actresses out of work, since most are independent contractors. Wow, I see your point while chiming in.

2. lishacutepie9 profile image54
      lishacutepie9posted 12 years agoin reply to this

ok i get it'

3. ricardocortez profile image60
      ricardocortezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

in my opinion start a home base business........

Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

On an individual basis, that's a good idea.
        But on a mass scale, it's simply not feasible for ALL Americans to have home-based businesses!
        Thanks for your suggestion, tho.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mighty Mom,

And what makes you think that exactly? The more, the better.

I mean that we can't convert the entire workforce to home-based entrepreneurs.
            Some work is just not convertible.
            Anyone who wants to start a home-based business -- go for it.
            But America still needs actual JOB jobs.
            You know, like manufacturing and warehousing, truck drivers, construction workers, civil engineers, police, firefighters, teachers, hairdressers, waitrons,butchers, bakers, candlestick makers, doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs...
            Stuff like that.

Mighty Mom, the more home-based businesses the better. Those that truly prosper would grow beyond being a home-based business. Thus, creating more JOB jobs.
              That may be, but with the present system in place it's not good.
              Which is why I said what I said in my other post in this thread.
              All these jobs are already available and if my first post was handled as I said, then there would be more of these types of people to work and create these sort of jobs. It all starts by helping the small business flourish. wink

I guess I'm not following you here, Cags.
                I totally agree, and have been thinking recently that microbusiness is a great idea that has been supported overseas and really should be supported here.

I'm not quite grasping the trickle down (or up up out) effect of how my home-based business creates (for example) construction jobs.

Then there is the thorny issue of health insurance... with all these people becoming self-employed home-based business owners, how do they get insured???

But no argument that any/all creative ways to earn money are good smile!

I didn't think you did.
                  If you're running a prosperous home-based business and have more business than you can handle, then it becomes more than a home based business and becomes large enough to require a brick-n-mortar type location. You either have it built(construction jobs) or you find a suitable location and hire people to help handle your business.
                  They get insurance the same way other places do. They buy it and if they have employees then they can supply insurance to them too, depending on how many employees you have.

It's important that government spends money on education and that the education system(presently broken) gets fixed. Making grants easily available to those who want to or need start up capital for home-based businesses would be a great start too, instead of all the red-tape people need to jump through just to get started. People need to understand that the best way to USE the economy is to be self-employed. More people need to be using it, because self-employment is always better than working for someone else.

Not once have I ever heard a business owner wish that they were working for someone else, who controls their hours and their pay. NONE! All would not change it.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. smile
                    I agree education should be FIXED.
                    We should make it easier to start a business and/or work. Period.
                    But not everyone is cut out to be their own boss.
                    Nor is getting health insurance as easy as you make it sound.
                    Trust me. I'm self-employed as is my husband (different industries).
                    Only one of us has health insurance and that's only due to a COBRA conversion (read $$$$$$$).
                    But that's a rant for another day and another forum.
                    Night, friend!
                    MM

4. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They will come back no matter who occupies the White House.  Depending on who it is, it may take longer, but in the long run they will come back.  Where I work, we are starting to work overtime and increasing production.  Recalling many that had been layed off.  You can see it elsewhere as well.  More positions being advertised in the help wanted section.  Many companies are starting to ramp up production as they receive more orders.  If the climate to promote the growth of business is positive, it will happen sooner than later.  Banks are begrudgingly beginning to lend again, and as soon as they crack open their vaults to the consumer, demand will rise and production will increase, creating more employment.
      Remember when states and cities would fight for companies to locate in their locale?  That is what will stimulate employment, a culture that welcomes business and jobs instead of denigrating and hindering it.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Re-institute the draft. smile

3. davenmidtown profile image68
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

it would be interesting to see WHERE those 103,000 jobs were.  Offshore american companies doing business in foreign lands?  I wonder if that included the reported 35,000 jobs to be cut by the U S Postal Services?  The draft would be good...

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I say we draft everyone under 30. Unless they work for HP. smile

4. davenmidtown profile image68

Even those that work for HP... and Any politician that has served for more then 4 years, regardless of age, should be drafted

5. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Draft everyone!
    What is this, Israel?
    But what about us who are over 30?
    We want jobs, too!

That's the whole idea. With all the under-30 crowd drafted, we can have our pick of all the jobs they were taken away from. big_smile

Ohhhh. Now I get it!
        I've always wanted to be a barista!

http://media.klewtv.com/images/KBCI_Bikini_Baristas.jpg
          You have my full attention. smile

6. davenmidtown profile image68

how many people does it take to operate a blender?

Punchline, please!

Not knowing the actual answer, I would have to guess 8 mexicans? lol

Uh oh, Cags.
          You've said the magic "M" word in a thread about unemployment.
          *ducks*
          You're in for it now, dude!
          Someone, very soon, is gonna start screaming about illegal immigrants taking all our coveted American jobs!

So here's my solution. Deport all the blenders back to Mexico!
          Who needs their margaritas frozen, anyway? lol

Hey Mighty Mom, I don't doubt someone jumping on the band wagon of the illegals. It's a great talking point for the right. lol

However, if you really want to solve the unemployment problem is this country, then I would suggest that more and more people actually take up working at home or out of their home to create earnings.

Almost any sort of products/goods or services can be done from the home and no real need for start up capital or at least very little start up capital. The problem is getting people to do it. If the government provided incentives for people to work out their homes, making it easier for them to get grant money(instead of the BS redtape presently), then it might help.

Originally, the government could have solved a lot of problems by not bailing out the companies that were failing and instead providing a lot of money to the people to eliminate their burdened debt. If the government had used the money to help people eliminate their personal debt and/or business debt via straight forward expenditures, similar to the "bailing out" fund created, then the Economy would have been able to recover, because people would have more money to spend and wouldn't be so worried about the amount debt that they are presently trying to overcome.

I'm pretty sure people would have been able to use some of that money as start up capital for home-based business and website creation, and advertising resources, to get their home-based business into profitability quite quickly, but no government had to give the money to elitist instead, making matters worse.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The right pair (hehe)

Ba da boom ba da bing!

7. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Offer employers more tax incentives if they choose to open more jobs in the united states versus overseas.

Nice carrot approach.
      Guess it's more realistic than slapping a fine on them when they export jobs overseas!
      MM
      P.S. Love the new avatar!

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks MM, I'm glad you like it. im using it right now to promote one of my next preview hubs for movies coming out next year. I'll let you guess which film this character is from.  wink  lol

It's either Die Hard or Pulp Fiction.
          Am I right?

1. lishacutepie9 profile image54
            lishacutepie9posted 12 years agoin reply to this

will u follow me .

Welcome here. It's not polite to ask that question in a forum.
              Give me a reason to follow you and I will!

How about a dog bone? Good enough reason. tongue lol

"Are you calling me a DOG!??"
                  "Who's the dog in this scenario, Harry?"
                  Name that movie.

Do you have to be a dog to enjoy a treat? I think not. lol

2. profile image0

it's from die hard.  allegedly there's another die hard film coming out next year, so i'm endorsing it with this avatar until my previews of "action and adventure" films is published.  i used to have a red skull with a 2 on it to promote the expendables sequel, but i like this one better.

Hooray! I knew that one! smile
              I like the original but "...with a vengeance" is good also.
              Willis is one-of-a-kind.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

Specifically...

Currently all labor expenses are tax deductible.

Change it so that only US labor expenses are tax deductible. Overseas labor would be not.

smile

1. profile image0

Hmm..that's an even better idea, as I can see how that would probably make U.S. employers more interested in developing their operations within this country versus outsourcing overseas.

1. LeanMan profile image81
          LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Free trade agreements with China, low wages etc means that they can undercut home based manufacturers, and greedy companies that can see additional profits for the next three to five years just send out all manufacturing to these Chinese firms. They do not think beyond this time as the stock market wants to see continually improving profits and constant growth, and the executives want their bonuses for this year, so the companies have to follow the rest of the flock to reduce costs and increase profits - but this will cost the companies more in the long run!!

However at some point the cost of transport and the introduction of import duties on various goods will make it more economic to produce back in the west. The trouble will be that the firms that have outsourced will have no capability to bring production back so we will see Chinese manufacturers setting up firms in the west to take advantage of cheap western labor that will endure poor conditions and low wages as otherwise they will have no money!!!
          So the jobs are coming, minimum wage working for subsidized Chinese companies based in the west!!!

8. lishacutepie9 profile image54
    lishacutepie9posted 12 years ago

what ????

9. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

Maybe more frightening is the employment / population ratio
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5625848_f248.jpg

10. Jon Peterz profile image62
    Jon Peterzposted 12 years ago

We have to rebuld our infrastructure of roads and bridges.  That may help a bit.  Long term we have to bring back manufacturing to this country by taking away some of the incentives of comapnies to ship jobs off-shore.  No easy answers for that one.  I think there is a healthy economic policy balance/compromise somewhere that will lead America back.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)