Flagged as "duplicate" but it's original!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Time Spiral profile image80
    Time Spiralposted 12 years ago

Hubbers,

My latest Dexter review is being blocked, essentially, by HubPages. They are saying it requires revision for all sorts of reasons.

I will post the exact warning below. But, it is a 100% original, handwritten article! WTF?! It is a review. Obviously things like the title of the episode are scholarly and are going to be the same on every review. Character names, actor names, screenshots ... these are 'necessarily similar' but the actual writing style, and opinions, and the review itself I did are completely fresh and original.

I've written them twice. They have not responded. As you may or may not know, a review MUST BE TIMELY or it will get swept under the rug.

Is HubPages trying to move away from publishing reviews?

Here is the link to my hub: <snipped link, issue resolved>

Here is the exact warning:

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you using extensive quotes, photos or videos without much of your own text?  Have you published the hub or even large portions elsewhere?

Time Spiralposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Word count is 1,893 and there are no quotes from the show.

There are about (5) photos that are screenshots from the episode.

I have not published any of the hub anywhere else. I have a few places that I publish inbound links, like FB, the Twitter, and tv.com, etc ... but each intro paragraph is custom there as well.

Were you able to access the link, or has the hub been taken down?

1. Ania L profile image82
          Ania Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's no longer published which could be expected if they say it requires revision.
          If you've got too many links - more than two - to one website (like your screenshots - if they have links under them it counts), it can be treated as over promoted.
          Besides, look for paragraphs from your text in google - you may find there is a copy of your writing somewhere else.

performing search now ... good idea.

2. Time Spiral profile image80

Negative Ghost-Rider, the pattern is full.

2. wilderness profile image96

The hub is unpublished, and I can't even find the google cache.

As Ania says the only other thing I can think of is that it's been stolen.  Search for a chunk of text from it and see if it is elsewhere on the web.  Other posters have said that there should be a note from HP as to where the duplicate is, but I can't verify that as I've never had it happen.

And you can email HP at team@hubpages.com

2. Time Spiral profile image80

Here is the exact warning text from HP:

NOTE: A substantial portion of the content on this hub appears on other pages

Please address the moderator set alert below before submitting this Hub for publication.

Duplicate

This Hub contains text that also appears on another site or Hub, or is substantially similar to another work. Duplicate content is not permitted on HubPages. In order for this Hub to be republished, you will need to ensure that its content is original. If you previously published this content elsewhere and it has been recently removed, it can take up to 8 hours for our system to recognize that removal.

Please note that the issue of duplicate content is completely separate from issues of plagiarism or copyright. All that it means is that we found text very similar to what is contained in this Hub elsewhere on the Web.

If you would like to make changes to the Hub in order to bring it into compliance, please do so and then click the Submit for Publication button. We will review your Hub, and if appropriate, republish it. This process can take up to 72 hours. Repeatedly publishing or submitting for publication Hubs that contain duplicate content will result in the banning of your account.

This information is based on a human review of this Hub, and can only be cleared by HubPages staff. Edit your Hub and then use the "Submit For Publication" button to request that it be reviewed and republished.

Repeatedly submitting Hubs for review that are still in violation of the rules will result in the permanent closure of your account. If you have questions about the rules, please review the FAQ, ask for clarification in the forum<, or contact us before submitting your Hub for review.

This Hub needs to be revised before it can be published.

Is there a link from HP at the top of the hub showing where the duplicate is?

If searching several times for various paragraphs doesn't show any duplicate I would email HP for clarification.

2. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Contact the admin team and ask for a manual review.

It is possible to trip the duplicate content filter by having content that is not an exact duplicate of something already on the web but because the wording is incredibly similar.  The sort of thing that can happen when hundreds of people all suddenly review the same thing.  I had that happen once, and the hub can be manually certified as original if that's the case... Or they'll tell you flat out where they think you copied it from...

Thanks. I contacted them, twice.

I'm eagerly awaiting their response. The thing that sucks is that a review NEEDS to be published within 8 hours of the original airing date in order to be relevant in the arena. This article is suffering unnecessarily right now.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just my two cents, but as someone who's been on the site for five years, I've found MUCH more success with evergreen content, not by playing "strike while the iron is hot." I'd also like to add that entertainment topics pay terribly due to overall market saturation.  Of course, if you aren't hoping to earn anything from your content here, you can just disregard what I've said and go about your business.

I completely agree.

I essentially only write two types of articles: (1) How To articles, which are evergreen and (2) Review articles because while they are not "evergreen" in the typical sense, if you're good, you'll develop a readership which is arguably just as valuable as evergreen content.

My how-to articles are doing WONDERFUL on here so far. Thanks for the tip!

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Could it be that something like a list of actors who appear in the show are showing up as duplicate text?

It could very well be, Paul, but the OP indicates a good sized hub and that shouldn't be a problem with all the other text.

My current theory is that it might have something to do with the H tags, or the reference to the actual show title itself.

No matter who writes or references the show, it will always have the same title, albeit maybe slightly different arrangement of words: Dexter Season (6) Episode (2): Once Upon a Time

This is just simply what the thing I'm talking about is called. I cannot see how such a reference could be considered duplicate content, but that's the only thing I can think of.

1. Mark Painter profile image61
          Mark Painterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It seems to be a bug.  For some reason we are only picking up text from the module captioned "Follow my reviews on Twiiter @TimeSpiraling"  which is short and by itself a duplicate.  I will look into it.  I haven't seen other complaints along this line.  So, you most likely got struck by some rare bit of bad luck.

I include that module in all my hubs. It's just a "follow me on Twitter" module.

Should I not be doing that? Do I need a customer "follow me on Twitter" module for every hub to avoid this in the future?

Thanks SO MUCH for the response! Can we get the flag waived on this Hub?

4. Time Spiral profile image80
    Time Spiralposted 12 years ago

HP staff published the article. They think it was a bug.

Check it out!

5. SweetMocha-Monroe profile image68
    SweetMocha-Monroeposted 12 years ago

I just had the same experience with one of my hubs. Although my content was original, I had posted it on several other sites. This is a No No with Hubpages. I had to rewrite my poem and move on. Once this was done I was able to republish my hub. I hope this helps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)