Scariest Episode In Your Life?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

Since spooky Halloween is just around the corner I thought it would be a nice time to find out what has scared all you folks at one time or another. This needn't be paranormal.

My scariest moment was when I was 19. And it wasn't a ghost or poletergeist, but for me something much more frightening. After a night out, I did something really stupid!! Because the taxi was late, I decided to walk, despite the others saying it was dumb. But after a couple of lagers or so, you always think you know best.

So I decided to walk. I hadn't been walking long, when I noticed that I was being followed. As I crossed the road so did this person, when I stopped the person stopped. But whoever it was, was getting closer. If they had known me - I live in a small village - they would have shouted or something. Anyway, I was really creeped out and my instincts were yelling at me to get the hell out of this situation. I ripped the high-heels off and ran into this back garden and hid behind a coal bunker - trying to pretend that I had actually gone into the house - I did know the folks but they were on holiday! I heard the footsteps come in the gate and round to the back near to where I was, and I heard the person breathing. After a few, nerve wracking, minutes they had gone. I waited for another 20 minutes or so before moving and did get home okay. I never did discover who it was that followed me that night. By the height I would have to say male. But I never took any chances again. I would rather meet a spook, as go through something like this again!

2. profile image0
    RookerySpoonerposted 12 years ago

The most terrifying experience in my life was 13 years ago, when I was living in a different house.  I experienced constant fear, because neighbours had decided that it would be fun to have a victim to terrorise.  They threw stones through the windows each night, and tried to break down the front door at midnight.  They also physically attacked me and my mother, who ended up in hospital because it caused her to have an angina attack.  This terror went on for some months, and in the end, we had to move, because I really do think things were getting so out-of-hand that had we not moved, we may well have been killed.

Seeker7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi RookerySpooner - those people were absolutely evil!!! I would have done the same thing and moved, especially if I had my Mum with me as well. Plus the fact as you say, there was nothing really to stop these evil gits from going just that bit further and taking your lives!

I thought my event was scary, but yours is literallly terrifying! Glad you and your Mum got out okay!

3. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

I think for me one of those moments was on a road trip as a kid. My folks were driving on one of those long roads and we saw a car broke down by the side of the road. We almost stopped to ask if they needed help but something didn't seem quite right so we didn't. They hopped in the car straight away and started chasing us! When we got to a city we found a nice populated place to stop and by then they had stopped chasing us but it was pretty nuts driving and hoping to get to town soon. I guess that we didn't fall for their 'trick' upset them a lot since they followed for so long in a car that worked quite well and pushed ours to its limits hmm

I think your instincts served you well on this occasion! What a horrible thing to happen, especially when you were just a kid!!

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

My scariest moment was when a friend and I were driving through the mountains, headed to her house for the weekend. We were only 16. We were going up the side of the mountain on the interstate. I was in the passing lane, behind a station wagon and a tractor trailer truck was on my right. We heard a blood curdling scream. I assumed someone had hit a woman in front of us. I hit the brakes, but everyone else kept going as if nothing had happened. There was no one on the road. It was a sheer rock face to our right and a steep drop off to our left. It couldn’t have come from outside of one of the vehicles.

We picked speed back up and caught up with the other vehicles. I don’t know why, but we assumed it had come from the station wagon. When we pulled up beside it, there was just a man and a boy in the front seat; the back of the car was packed full of boxes. We slowed down to come alongside the truck and when the man looked down at us it was sheer anger on his face. We were pretty sure that the noise had come from somewhere inside and we backed off, got his license and took the next exit.

We called the police and they laughed at us. I guess, since we were kids, they assumed it was a prank. We couldn’t get anyone to listen and they finally sent a car out and the officer told us if we didn’t leave we’d be arrested. The truck got away. I honestly believe someone was murdered that day. I have never heard so much fear in a scream as was in that one. I don’t think I could ever forget it.

That really angers me - and I'm sure a lot of police officers as well - how often are we told that if we see something suspicious to contact the police and when, someone like yourself does so, you are laughed at and then threatened with arrest!! No wonder some murderers are never solved!

I think I would have had nightmares about that - I find your account very frightening indeed, especially hearing that scream. OMG that's awful!

5. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Scariest moment: I ran out of gas and was walking along the highway. A guy pulled over which I knew, I was his nephew's martial arts instructor.  He was giving me a ride to the gas station when out of no where he put a pistol to my temple.

He asked how tough I was now kind of BS.  I knew i did not have a chance so I opened my knife with my right hand.  I told him I would count to three if he had not shot me by three then I would slice his throat.

At two he threw the pistol on to my lap.  I immediately picked it up and dry shot it six times at his face. The gun was not loaded. I then had him pull over and told him to walk back to my car.  I went and got my gas and returned the car to him.  Hopefully for him it was a good lesson.  I DGAF  HaHa  MMFWCL <3

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In 2002 I took my son and daughter to Blackpool for the day. After we'd been on the pleasure beach etc. We started walking back to the car park, a large white van came heading our way, mounted the pavement (it was very Narrow) and ran me over, missing my kids by inches. I ended up with fractured ribs and a dislocated shoulder and was stuck in Blackpool with 2 kids( approximately 50 miles from home).

Hi Hollie,

OMG!! Hollie you are lucky to be alive! Did they get the van driver? I hope so - that was nasty injuries you received but imagine if it had been your poor wee kids? What a horrible thing to have happened!! Luckily you have survived and your kids of course! I hope they got the B--------d! and banned the driver for life!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi seeker7,

After he hit me he swerved (way too late) and drove his van over a verge. The police arrived and arrested him, as we were being driven away in the ambulance. Turns out he was 21 yrs, in a works van, that he should not have been driving outside of his hometown of Chorley when he was not working. So, he wasn't covered by the insurance either. He received a 12 month disqualification from driving with points on his license. No other charges brought, not dangerous driving or even driving without due care and attention. I've always been grateful that he me and not the kids.

2. Seeker7 profile image81

Hi Hollie - that is an absolute disgrace about the sentence - or lack of it!! And you just know, of course, that despite the ban, he would still have been driving about once he left the court!

All this doesn't really surprise me though. My friend Jenna has a lovely sister called Karen. When Karen was only 16 she was knocked down by a driver who was driving dangerously. Lucky enough Karen survived, but she had to have a below knee amputation on her right leg due to the severity of the injury. This lovely lass lost a limb, a life-time's sentence! What did he get? 2 years suspended sentence and 5 year ban!!! He should have been put in jail for the trauma he caused to that youngster.

But getting back to your case - the law has gone to hell! If you are a victim in any form today, forget getting justice from the courts - they are all for the criminals!

2. Seeker7 profile image81

Hi RealityBytes - my god what a creep he was!!! But I just love it when they get what they deserve by someone like you  turning the tables - you deserve a medal for that one! Personally I would have been scared shi-----ess.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
        Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was terrified,  I thought I was going to die.  I fully intended on stabbing him if he did not lower the gun or shoot me.  We were also travelling @ 70 mph so I did not have much hope of survival.

As the wise of this world say - there is nothing to be ashamed of in feeling fear, that's a natural instinct we need to keep us alive, it's how you handle the fear that counts. Reading your story, I think you handled yourself much better than many people could have done - including me.

6. manlypoetryman profile image80
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

I checked out an entire upstairs empty building of a new account. This was nearly 10 months ago. It looked like an excellent place to film a horror movie. Empty classrooms, with a few tossed books lying around, slight dust-not much really-no one goes up there to clean-for any reason, old paint color schemes, fair lighting, but old...not adequate. There was only me and one other guy in the entire building. It was after business hours.  I had a moment where I felt uneasy and noticed a strong cigarette smell. I figured this was coming from outside. The other guy had gone outside to smoke...while I was walking around the inside of the building. This is well inside a building...How many times do you smell cigarette smoke coming through the walls of a building from outside? That was my thinking at the time. This was a very minor thing, but was able to stick in my brain cause of the strong cigarette smoke.

Just recenlty...and 10 months later I was told...that there had been a guy killed with a club over the head. The guy used to operate a clinic with gambling in the back, in the corner of the building. Workers had seen an old guy stooped over with a white clinic jacket back near that corner of the building. Usually, after regular business hours. It is a mammothly wide 2 story building. Strong Cigarette smoke is always detected nearby around the sightings.

I had been over the old clinic when I had smelled the strong smoke. When they mentioned this to me, it triggered my memory. The guy who was smoking at the time, says he never goes that far down to that corner of the building to smoke. It would have to had to been the perfect gust to put it right into an airvent or air leak through the wall...to be that strong. Legend or Myth...I'm not sure...but Thank God that I didn't see some old guy with a white clinic jacket on...up there!

It was kind of funny that I remembered questioning the strong cigarette smell, over the exact place in the building that had been mentioned in the story. I had never told anyone in that building about my strong cigarette sensing up there...until this story was told to me.

(Not the scariest episode in my life...but a fun tale...that hits real close to home...around Halloween...MuHaha!)

This story is really fascinating! It is remarkable how many of us probably do encounter the paranormal without even realising it until much later. As you say, cigarette smoke is very strong, but it doesn't tend to travel that far and lingers, so I think you're right, there's really no way it could have been your mate's cigarette smoke.

As to the scariest - I don't know, I think on realising they might have experienced something paranormal, I know two people for a fact who would have freaked out, even although the event was over! LOL!

I really loved this story, many thanks for sharing it!

Ps - don't you think, apart from abandoned churches, deserted schools/school rooms are really freaky?

I also meant to ask - did the filming go ahead?

1. manlypoetryman profile image80
          manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes...It is freaky...an old classroom place. (Old empty church buildings, too!) I guess it is the lack of anyone being there for so long. The filming of a horror movie there was just my imagination...in overdrive. It is a blowing and going big corporation downstairs...on the bottom floor. It would take too much bureaucracy handling to be able to film something upstairs. But, it would be an awesome place for it. And...a great place for a Halloween haunted house (especially if the apparition with the white clinic coat showed-up!)

On the scariest part thing...guess who is never going up there again alone...Me!

That would be a great idea - having a Halloween party or Halloween ghost hunt in a place like your old school room - especially if Mr White Coat did turn up like you say!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)