Do You Miss An Ex?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Princess Kari profile image59
    Princess Kariposted 14 years ago

hey,

I miss my ex. when, if ever, is it too late to try get back together?

1. Elynjo profile image59
      Elynjoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I miss him and our endless ridiculous fights over nothing.

2. Princess Kari profile image59

I think people are really in love when they would rather be with the person in the worst of fights then go without them. I never got over my ex. I have been bottling up all this sadness. He doesn't talk to me so its very hard to get over. I think he might have been the one. I would have loved to have married that guy

1. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Speaking as someone who has prosecuted quite a few domestic violence cases, I disagree. That's victimhood, not love.

1. mandybeau profile image59
        mandybeauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mmmm I hate how people think a controlling relationship, is a relationship in any way.

Princess Kariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i agree

oh. yeah, sorry. i mean a bad argument, not a bad physical fight or assault.

3. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I don't know your entire relationship history, so I wouldn't feel right giving you advice on whether or not you should get back together. I think it's great when people can, but it's not always the best or even the right thing to do.

I miss my ex terribly too, I probably still love him. I had to end things with him after I found out that he wasn't being completely honest with me. It was the hardest thing I've ever done because spending time with him was amazing and I really care for him. Ending things with him was also the most "grown-up" thing I've ever done.

I have a lot of resentment towards him, but when I think about it, I can justify everything and I have to stop myself from doing that. I won't go into details, but he's a lot older, very handsome & charismatic and had me fooled in many ways, that is for sure.

I saw him last week when I was out shopping (he didn't see me, he was in traffic at a stop light). I felt like I had to be sick because I realized how much I miss him. I also realize that I will never be able to date him again and we can't be "just friends" because a relationship with him is very wrong and very selfish to someone else.

So, I'm still in the process of moving on...but it is difficult when you still really care for the person. Trust me, I know all about that! smile

4. Princess Kari profile image59

Did you ever suspect him? You deserve someone who will be honest with you and devoted to you. Seeing ex's is so awkward, I never know where to  or what to do. I always feel stupid even if they don't see me. Its not selfish to have feelings, you were very hurt by someone you thought was the one for you. That kind of thing can take a long time to get over so its natural. Sometimes ex's do get back together, my friend and her man got back together and they look so happy. So how does one know when its a happy decision and when its too late? It was probably best to leave him in your situation, just because he is older and charming doesn't mean he can treat people like that.

5. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

I miss all my ex-es. i just couldn't commit now am filled with regrets

wow you look exactly like someone i know and she also did law. hectic!

6. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

If you have really been in love, I don't think you ever get over your ex(es).  I know I haven't stopped loving any one of them, and for some, its been years.  Weird how that is.  I know where each of them are, what they are doing, etc., etc.  We on occasion still talk--though no--we are not 'friends,'in the common assumption of that word, as I don't think that is possible, given the nature of the relationship

I also don't think it is ever necessarily 'too late' to get back together--things happen, people change, life is strange.  It can change for the better as well as change for the worse.  Definitely things are not static...  It seems to come down to a point of practicality a lot, though--as people do move on to other relationships and experiences.

That is not a lot of concretes, I know--but maybe truthful.  smile

thats cool that you're on good terms and at peace. i wish i was like that. i think it shows great maturity. i am inspired now and hope to learn from your example :-)

7. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Yeah, I miss my ex's n they each have a spot in my heart. Each one had something truly wonderful but alas...we parted ways...but I still hold a love of that wonderful part...and I hope I will end with my James Bond big_smile tongue wink hehe

only if he is sean connery smile
      "yesh miss money-penny, yesh" smile
      wow. i think i'm in love with him

8. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Yes, I haven't seen or spoken to her in five years, but I've missed her every day. 

All you can do is be thankful for the time you shared, and hope that they have found true happiness.

wow you must have loved her very much. i think its awesome that you care about her happiness and wellbeing despite the break-up. thats true love people.

9. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

No, I don't miss them.  I have managed to remain friends with most of them -at least the ones that were worth it-.  They know that I will always be there for them if they need me and I know that I can count of them regardless.

Relationships change, they evolve and in my case the relationship with ex boyfriends have become a very close friendship.

thats awesome. i want to be friends with my ex's too! sad

10. mandybeau profile image59
    mandybeauposted 14 years ago

I miss them like "a hole in the head"Not

ha ha ha thats funny. lol.

11. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Once I break up with someone it is over in my mind.  I went on two dates with a guy, and it was nice, but then he went several months without calling me.  Low and behold three months later he is calling me up and suggesting we should go out, but I pointed out to him that if he really had wanted to date me he would have stayed in touch.  It did not work for a reason, and it is highly toxic, even in the best of circumstances, to seek out someone that broke up with you.  If you broke up with him, then why are you having second thoughts?  It is better to get out and do things you like, and then you might meet someone along the way.

its good reasoning but its tough emotionally hmm

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is tough emotionally, but several years ago I was in the same place as you.  I missed this guy and just thought we should be back together, but I finally realized I was wasting time on something very unhealthy.  I only say try your best not to think about him because if you two broke up there was probably a reason for it.  Now I am just very distant about people who decide they do not want to date me.  I am sure they are great people and all that, but if they do not really like me very much, I really just cannot be bothered to spend any time thinking of them.  My approach may seem extreme, but I am holding out for the type of relationship I know I deserve, and where the guy truly wants to be with me, not someone he thinks I should be, and not me trying to be what I think he wants me to be.

1. marcofratelli profile image77
          marcofratelliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spot on. Kari, I think I was trying to say what SweetiePie just did about being open & honest and also not settling for less than the real thing...

12. The Phil profile image60
    The Philposted 14 years ago

I'll name your ex 'Alex'

Let your heart guide you to your answer. If you miss Alex because you got used to being together, I'd say move on. If you miss Alex because you feel like Alex is an important part of your like, do what makes you feel good.

Life is short, spend the good times the way you best enjoy! Good Luck

wow you remind me of dr phil smile
      i miss alex because he was someone i could see myself marrying, i loved him very much. but alex isnt taking to me. which kind of blocks most of my attempts and getting back together hmm

13. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 14 years ago

yes i miss my ex it has been 6mths now but i dont miss the way he carried on and things he did if he had not done of few things i think we would have still been together.

sigh. why cant they all just be perfect and stuff

14. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I went out with someone for close to a year (maybe over a year, if you count the time he didn't seem to "get" that we were broken up).  I wanted to break up, and I didn't regret it in the least.  Still, when he moved away and was no longer around I was shocked to find myself missing him.  I know it was only a matter of not having someone around who had been around.  It was bad, though.  I actually started to re-think my decision to break up. 

My point is, I think we miss people who have been in our lives, even when we should not be together (and even when we don't really love them, or at least don't love them the way people are supposed to love a romantic partner).

My advice to anyone who knows they had good reasons to break up would be to stay strong through the temporary "miss-them phase". Don't confuse missing them with regretting breaking up, or with loving them.  That phase passes.  I compare what I experienced as the kind of withdrawal discomfort that goes with breaking any bad habit.  When the "bad habit" was a person who was nice it can be even more difficult to recognize "withdrawal symptoms".

1. marcofratelli profile image77
      marcofratelliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My ex, who was coincidentally my first girlfriend at the time, was not good for me. She was head over heels in love with me but I had to be convinced to go into the relationship, that I had nothing to lose. We were always on the phone for about 2 months - i felt like she had become my soul mate, even though I didn't really feel *that* attracted to her.

I broke up with her twice, because all of the stuff she kept telling me about herself and/or her family (AND my family - she reckoned she was a little bit psychic) just didn't add up and I found myself doubting her and losing trust. Overall the relationship prob lasted 2-3 months off and on. There is too much to say in detail about it and I have written a "poem" about it in one of my hubs, just as a creative way to let it all out (something I highly recommend).

Anyway, the long and long of it is - she was no good for me and I knew that and I'm ok with it (I did the breaking up). But it's been over a year now and she is anything but forgotten. Regularly in church I still pray for her. I have a lot of resentment too and a LOT of unanswered questions I probably will never get closure for. I try to block them out sometimes but I can't help trying to search for answers sometimes. Despite it all I did feel she really loved me and I didn't want to hurt her but I had to end it otherwise I'd be living a lie. It was only a few months but it felt like a lifetime, in that we'd been through so much. Who am I kidding, I'm still trying to really deal with it but it's basically stopped me searching so hard to find a girlfriend and made me realise I shouldn't even bother getting into a relationship and settle for less.

Didn't mean for this to be too long and it probably doesn't make sense, but it's my story.

I did get a little bit confused. You're quite funny. I can kinda relate, who wants a relationship after breaking up anyway

yeah i know some people who just get back together because they are bored or want an ego trip. its sad.

15. sassychic profile image61
    sassychicposted 14 years ago

I miss an ex that moved away. I will never forget him, he was truly a wonderful guy we were really attached to eachother until he moved back to his country because his family was homesick

16. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

We all have an 'ex' somewhere in our lives.  Until you realise that your ex really is an ex; I guess many of us forget to see why we are better than any opinion an ex has of us.  If you have a good heart that was not complimented by another good heart; never look back towards the ex.  That's exactly what many ex s need to avoid seeing their own shortcomings.

Your ex is limiting our ability to be who you are destined to be, because you are allowing yourself to stop and look back.

Be strong Kari, this is your time to find yourself.  It's only a short journey alone, you will see.

Be your best, let your heart heal and when you least expect it you will find a prince.

17. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

Yes! I miss all the past girlfriends I had but cannot undo the past!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)