Children forced to beg for money in Britain.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Mark Psychedlic profile image80
    Mark Psychedlicposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5649257.jpg
    Is it right that children should be forced to beg in this day and age in this modern society?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front … 618872.stm

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's disgusting when any child is put in this situation. Disgusting. Not only is it an awful way for a child to live but they are extremely vulnerable, they shouldn't even be out alone among adults they don't know, anything could happen to them.

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's called child abuse.

2. Mark Psychedlic profile image80
        Mark Psychedlicposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The link I've provided shows that the parents are wealthy with huge houses and only pretend to be poor and the majority of these people are from Romania it is disgusting to see these children forced to beg for their parents while they do not even work!

1. nenytridiana profile image56
          nenytridianaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are they all pretending to be poor? or just a few of them?  because as a normal human, begging is emergency solution. Beside in my opinion, no one would get rich by begging.

2. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

How horrible. Sending a child out to the dangers of the streets to beg for money is just abhorrent, particularly when there are social welfare programs to assist the impoverished (and these programs don't require begging on the streets).

3. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Are we going back to Charles Dickens era?
    is it a sign of the times or are these aprents  using their kids to have strangers feel sorry and make a donation?
    anyway it IS child abuse...

Begging on the streets of britain is against the law, and the link ive included above shows the explotation the children have to endure in order to keep their parents wealthy whilst genuine people suffering hardship recieve hardly any support at all.

4. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 12 years ago

I am shocked that this is going on in England/Britain.  Are the authorities trying to stop this or are they "looking the other way."  I can't believe in a modern society this is being accepted as civilized.  There is much Britain can do to alleviate this problem and they should be doing it.

check the link above and watch the video footage by the BBC the programme was on BBC1 last night.

5. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

A lot of these children (who are not from Britain) are being looked after by the Govt. Their parents are given support but they still beg on trains and on the streets.

So, the parents should be blamed. I actually bumped into one of them last weeekend in a London shopping Centre. I didn't give her money but took her into a Food shop and told her to pick anything she wanted, while I paid for it.

There are some people who beg in London and through it earn more than those who work - it's sad that they use their kids to do it too.

6. saddlerider1 profile image59
    saddlerider1posted 12 years ago

We have them here in the streets of cities in Canada as well. They carry cardboard signs with as innovative as they can scribble to entice citizens to give them offerings. It's getting way out of hand, though there are many who are deserving of our help, to many are making it a business and being pimped in the streets, used to pay for their drug or booze habits. My heart truly goes out to those in serious need from their being homeless to no fault of their own. But to those who are simply their to make extra income as many of them work to and use the street corner as a medium to panhandle for extras. It sickens me to see them, the authorities must crack down, but how are they to determine the ones who really need help and those who are scamming all of us.

7. Mark Psychedlic profile image80
    Mark Psychedlicposted 12 years ago

This is a continuation of the story of the 4 year old boy's family follow the link.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front … 618848.stm

8. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

We had adults with cardboard signs sitting on the streets in Sydney, I had one lady walk past me & ask for my coat which made me nervous , no children begging tho . What an awful life for the poor kids.

9. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Being rich in Romania does not mean you don't have to work in England. And if you do not have a job, don't know language and your relatives in Romania are far away - what can you do? Beg? For some people it's obviously an easy solution. And with children you'll get more. Poor children. If parents are stupid ot reckless - they are first to suffer.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

hmmmm...interesting report by the BBC...

well, in Canada and from my experience through work - my staff would contact 'children and family services' and social workers would arrive on the scene and assess the situation - the children would be considered high risk and the safety of the children would be the priority - so the parents would be taking a huge risk of having their children taken away if the practice was noticed and was as visible as what is shown in the BBC report.  Those children would be considered really high risk especially since they are under 12 years.

a terrible example of another form of abuse in Canada is the sex trade and minors - they are not on the street  - they are not visible - they are behind close doors being abused - it wouldn't be tolerated if it was in the public eye.  Children on the streets begging while their parent is close by would not be tolerated as well.

...so...hopefully something good happens as a result of that report by the BBC

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)