Golden Syrup

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (29 posts)
  1. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 12 years ago

I mentioned this to an American friend recently, and she'd never heard of it!

Is it a common thing in the USA or not?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No ,not called Golden Syrup
      But thinking Karo syrup is the same (havent bought any yet)-just a guess

There are so many varieties ,but Im not supposed to be in that aisle lol

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have fond memories of Golden Syrup growing up in Scotland. I don't believe I've seen it in Canada, but I'm sure it's available somewhere in the country. Is the tin still green? smile

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is indeed. Just as the black treacle tin is still red and is still used here for making Clootie Dumplings! smile

Sorry I didn't have a tin of golden treacle in the house to photo and for the poor quality of this image. Tins are not easy to photo in artificial light...

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5670349_f248.jpg

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
          Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Typo...meant golden syrup!

2. LondonGirl profile image82
        LondonGirlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is indeed still green. And still has a lion on the tin.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can now get it in a squeeze bottle, which is considerably easier than trying to spoon it out of a can....

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

It was such fun putting a spoon in and wrapping the syrup around it and not dripping it all over the place smile

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

No. You have to get it at the International Market. To make your ANZAC cookies.  Hypothetically speaking.

3. jcmayer777 profile image64
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I've never heard of it.

4. psycheskinner profile image83

No, Karo syrup is not the same... it's [shudder] made of corn.  In a pinch you can substitute 1 part molasses with 3 parts simple syrup, but it doesn't taste as good.

Oh yea so it is smile

Whats Golden Syrup from ...Canesugar?

(Back home I always remember it in a (Chelsea Golden Syrup)tin ( Chelsea being the big sugar company)

5. LondonGirl profile image82

It's like very pale treacle, and not a million miles away from honey.

Ah - found the website. Aparently it's:

For those of you who are scientifically minded… the sucrose molecule splits in half to give glucose and fructose sugars. This inverted syrup is blended back with the original syrup to give a partially inverted syrup. The secret of Lyle's Golden Syrup is the final blend of sucrose, glucose and fructose, which allows the syrup to be so thick and velvety without crystallizing.

http://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com/

Thanks LG

Ohh remember toffee apples, sticky fingers n chipped teeth lol

6. LondonGirl profile image82

Made from sugar, yes.

We don't really have corn-sugar-syrup products in the UK, I think.

Was reading (somewhere) that Corn is the major produce grown worldwide now because its by products are used in so many products.

By the time they add it to any products though ,they rename it.

Karo is just one derivative.

I had never really thought about til then, bit scary really.

Karo,I see is in a lot of store bought candy and some beaut recipes as well.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We do unfortunately - but in the UK it's called glucose-fructose syrup rather than the more descriptive high-fructose corn syrup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup

7. psycheskinner profile image83

It's a matter of what is close, UK and NZ are near cane and beet for sugar.  Whereas US is awash in corn smile

You girls are so clever smile

8. psycheskinner profile image83

When I first came to the US everything sweet tasted of corn, which was very disconcerting.  But then I got used to it.  But I still need golden syrup to make biscuits (or as Americans would say, cookies).

9. LondonGirl profile image82

I don't know how one prepares for Bonfire Night without it!

10. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I've heard of Maple Syrup and Golden Shower...

but not of Golden Syrup

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me of my grandmother it was always in her pantry. Though, in all honesty, I have no idea what she used it for.

11. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

Here in Canada I can buy golden syrup in specialty stores and sometimes in regular supermarkets too. Golden syrup sponge pudding was one of my favorite childhood desserts in the UK. The steamed pudding was served with golden syrup dripping over it and was absolutely delicious!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I remember that but my grandmother didn't make it. We usually had the honor of sampling her rock like Christmas cake that she had spent months preparing. Of course, we had to say it was wonderful.

12. LondonGirl profile image82

And, half-inched from the Ocado website, here it is.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5670639.jpg

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I remember it well.

13. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 12 years ago

Ah yes...Nice on Pancakes, Cornflakes and Waffles, although not all three at once!

14. LondonGirl profile image82

I've never had the bottle - and it strikes me as vaguely sacriligious.....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)