Fiction: Punctuating Dialogue

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (19 posts)
  1. cdub77 profile image69
    cdub77posted 12 years ago

Given the Patron of the Arts contest coming up, I thought I'd ask a question to help get our minds ready.

I've been reading lots of current literary fiction (stories in The Strand, McSweeney's, The Southern Review, Michigan Quarterly, etc...), and something has come up that I am honestly curious about.

To those of you who write fiction seriously and routinely publish it and/or at least submit it to publications like those above, how do you punctuate dialogue?

It's pretty vogue to leave off almost all punctuation.  Of course I am interested in how you punctuate and if you omit any part or use a dash, etc.  But what I'm really more interested in knowing is why you punctuate dialogue the way you do.

Post-modernism has brought about a syntactic freedom that, I feel at least, is best utilized when an artist doesn't simply abandon structure, but rather re-invents it according to their own rules. 

So, considering the context I've laid out here, serious writers of fiction: why do you punctuate the way you punctuate?

If it's unexamined impulse, that's valid.  That's where I was until recently.  My curiosity about this subject is fairly strong. smile

Also, for those of you judging in the fiction writing contest, care to leave a comment about your expectations on this issue for the contest? 

Clark

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

First, what is the Patron of the Arts contest?

I tend to follow the old school rules in punctuating dialogue.  Everything by the book, pun intended.  Quotation marks at each end, comma before or after if part of a sentence, and so on.  I do have questions about the best way to punctuate dialogue when a character is 'thinking' his dialogue.  Here I simply italicize the 'thought'.

1. profile image0
        Wilfionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have great confusion concerning quotation marks.  Some writers seem to use double inverted commas to indicate dialogue, whilst others use single ones.  I never know which is correct.

1. profile image0
          Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think they both are right.  Single commas create less cluttering effect, that's all. I see both usage in printed contemporary literature.

2. Aficionada profile image79
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the distinction lies primarily in the country of influence on the writer.  Writers influenced more by British English use the single inverted commas ("quotation marks") and place final punctuation outside the inverted commas. 

Writers influenced more by American English use the two-apostrophe quotation marks for direct quotations and place certain punctuation inside the quotation marks and certain punctuation outside. 

Also, for quotations that are being quoted by the person who is being quoted (Whew!), the internal quotation uses the opposite marks (double for British English, single for American English style).  For example, an American would normally punctuate this way:

"Mark Twain once wrote, 'An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before. An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before.' And I think that's humorous, but not always true," Aficionada said with a grimace.

I think someone from the UK would punctuate the same thing this way:

'Mark Twain once wrote, "An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before. An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before". And I think that's humorous, but not always true', Aficionada said with a grimace.

1. profile image0

Until recently, I had always used double quotation marks to indicate dialogue, and placed the punctuation mostly inside.  This was how I was taught in English lessons at school, many years ago.  However, it is in more recent literature that I have noticed the use of single quotaton marks, and placing the punctuation outside.  Having been educated in England, I have a feeling that there must have been a change at some point.  Reading English literature from decades ago, or even from a previous century, the use of double quotation marks seems more common, but modern works do tend to use the single.  I have therefore started to use single inverted commas, although the double looks and seems right to me.  If it doesn't matter which is used, I shall go back to using the double.

1. Aficionada profile image79

Thanks for that perspective!

Do you mind if I ask (so that I can be historically accurate going forward) when you were in school?

1. profile image0

I was in school from 1976 to 1988.

1. Aficionada profile image79

Thanks, Wilfion!

2. cdub77 profile image69
              cdub77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is great! I work for company that does College tutoring internationally online and the whole ' vs. " and s vs. z and , vs no , go round and round between English speaking countries (US,UK, AUS) without us knowing any historical context.  It is a lively debate at work, I'm sure you can imagine.

1. profile image0

I think punctuation, certainly in England has changed a lot over recent years.  In fact in my city of Birmingham, the apostrophe has been removed from street names and signs.  For instance, King's Close is now Kings Close, and Saint Phillip's Square is now Saint Phillips Square.  The city council gave the reason for their removal as being the lack of understanding that people now have of punctuation.  It is a sad day, when the country that gave the world the English language, now cannot seem to understand even the basics. 

Spelling has changed over the past few decades as well.  Reading Sherlock Holmes, I notice how "connection" was then "connexion" and "show" was then "shew."

2. Lisa HW profile image61
                Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Other factors that complicate the matter of punctuation are things like whether one is writing according to AP Style guidelines, writing technical material, or writing something like legal material.  In the US (at least in my state, and from what I've ever seen), court documents will have "Fred vs. Mary".  If I were writing "general" writing, I'd tend to write out "versus".  Some style guidelines really go against my grain (although I can see the reason for them).

Working in International Higher Education, I can tell you Aficionada is 100% right about the ' vs " issue.

3. Lisa HW profile image61

In standard grammar (as opposed to whatever people may do with fiction), the double quotation marks are put around things someone actually said.  If something is quoted within that (for any of the reasons quotation marks would ordinarily be used), the single form is used.

For example,

I said to Fred, "I don't care if Anne did actually say,  'You're an idiot, Fred.'  What Anne said to you is not my concern."     

(For some reason that single-quote mark before the "Y" looks like a double one to me, but it isn't.  It's a single.)

1. profile image0

Yes, this is how I was taught to use the double quotation mark, but every book I read, seems to vary its use, and it has started to become confusing.  However, as your example looks right to me, I shall certainly go back to that use.

1. Lisa HW profile image61

Don't go by me.  I don't write fiction.  (but if I did I'd use conventional grammar unless there was some rare situation that might involve breaking a rule or two for better effect)  smile

For more information on the HubPatron of the Arts contest, here's the post from the blog:

http://hubpages.com/static/hubpatron_of_the_arts.php

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Like most published authors, I punctuate dialogue conventionally.

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

As a retired English teacher, I'm pretty "old School" - unless I'm going for some Joyce-like effect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)