Oct 21 Doomsday Predicition Fizzles Out again

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Preacher's doomsday forecast fizzles out ... again
    End-of-world prophecy goes nowhere, five months after previous failure

ALAMEDA, Calif. Once again, the world failed to end, despite a high-profile prediction from a radio preacher in California.

Harold Camping, the 90-year-old leader of Family Radio International, stirred a global frenzy when he predicted that the Rapture would take 200 million Christians to heaven on May 21. When the Rapture didn't occur, Camping said he got his Bible-based calculations wrong and revised his prophecy to set the world's end on Friday, Oct. 21.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44983933/ns … qGZsHIg8is
    maybe the media should stop giving these doomsday predictors any attention... roll

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's still early yet! There's a distinct 'the world's about to end' feel in the air! smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's twenty past six British Summer Time and as God is an Englishman, he goes by our clocks. So we've got at least five hours yet.

Come on Harold, you might be right yet.

Do Englishmen get an automatic pass into heaven then? Cool I was born in Sheffield - lived in the UK for thirty years!

Well in Wales ( where I'm living) they think Welsh is the language of Heaven. If that's true then we might find ourselves ethnically cleansed from Heaven.

Well I also lived in Wales for about 30 years - so I can claim Welshness because of my accent - both ways I win!!!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Doomed I Say! 13 hours to go, HP time.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
      Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why, they don't stop the weathermen...Hey he isn't one is he?  wink

4. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@"maybe the media should stop giving these doomsday predictors any attention.."

I agree with you.

It is the preacher who is wrong. The Creator God says in His truthful Word :

[7:188] They ask thee respecting the Hour: ‘When will it come to pass?’ Say, ‘The knowledge thereof is only with my Lord. None can manifest it at its time but He. It lies heavy on the heavens and the earth. It shall not come upon you but of a sudden.’ They ask thee as if thou wert well acquainted therewith. Say, ‘The knowledge thereof is only with Allah; but most men do not know.’

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … ;verse=187

The preacher relied on the Bible which is neither revealed Word of the Creator God nor written by Jesus; hence the preacher got it wrong.

5. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The media loves drama.  And that guy, along with advocates of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, along with others I imagine, have been shelling-out their false predictions for over a hundred years.  Their predictions aren't even Biblical.

2. Hyphenbird profile image80
    Hyphenbirdposted 12 years ago

I am willing to give the man a reduced rate on Math lessons. Just offering here out of goodwill....

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hyph, you're such a generous soul! smile  I'll be sad to see you go at the end of the day...hehe wink

3. Hyphenbird profile image80
    Hyphenbirdposted 12 years ago

Mo! How are you? I haven't seen you around in weeks!

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm surviving, Hyph.  And finally starting to dig out from under the move! smile

4. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Another failed Doomsday prediction?  Rats!  This means I have to go dig out those bills I thought I didn't have to pay - and pay 'em.  I really think this "predictor" needs to be replaced.  The one we've been using just isn't working out.

5. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

Looks like religious believers are still batting a thousand.

6. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

I am slightly disappointed, as I was rather looking forward to the end of the world.  As fuel and food is so expensive, I had hoped I would be able to save a fortune when the end came.  It would have been at the right time as well, as winter is coming, and I am wrapping up with three dressing gowns and a blanket, to avoid putting on the heating.  I shall have to put in a complaint to Harold Camping for making promises he cannot seem to deliver.

1. profile image0

heh
      to whom will you complain?

And the end actually IS coming; we just dunno when. 
      The end is the end.  It would do no one any good to have money then!

1. profile image0
        Wilfionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think Harold Camping is advertising falsely.  If he is not sure of his facts, he could always include a get-out clause.  Perhaps the fact that he is 90, might excuse his confusion about the dates.  But when people have prepared for the end, and put so much effort into it, it would seem unfair of him to let it all go to waste.  He could at least make a pretense that it is the end, by making a lot of thunderous noise and some flashing lights or other special effects to give people something for their money.

1. profile image0

Yeah I guess.  lol.

Or...people could actually just....read a Bible.  Then they'd know not to pay any attention to false prophets.

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's an interesting thought, isn't it?
        The End, is really a beginning. It's a change. It's like death. Death is a new beginning.

It seems to me Mr Camping can't find himself. There is some big ego thing going on that drives him to look for God's acceptance instead of looking in himself and finding God there. When you do that, you connect and find peace. But predicting all this doomsday stuff is more about his need to end his own demons so he can move on. He's looking for a change for himself, pretending it applies to humanity.

We change when we are ready. It can't be forced.

1. profile image0

Hi Daniel.  Saw your thread about coming back.  I didn't know you were gone!  But then, I've been on vacation for a week or so.   Welcome back Daniel.

I...think Mr. Camping can't find God, not himself.  Unless God found him.  I saw a rumor that Mr. Camping died.  Who knows?

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Only the truly ignorant would claim the end of the world and name a date. hmm

8. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Matthew 25:13

.. and that includes engineers turned 'prophet for profit'

1. profile image0

My chance to Amen you Greek One.
      Cool.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that one was for you wink

1. profile image0

Thank you. smile

9. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

Why are you giving Harold such a hard time just because you've been left behind? I've been having a nice time in heaven for a couple days now, and have been using my new found supernatural powers to send transmissions to the Hub Forum.

It's really nice up here guys, sorry you didn't make it. Just to warn you though I've been watching this 10 headed beastie paddling about in the sea off the west coast of America. There may be troubles ahead......

that just the Jersey Shore kids yachting

http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact_celebrities/photo/9220581-large.jpg

Yes a truly abominable image that I'm afraid does not nearly convey the horrors about to come upon you all.

2. profile image0

haha

That doesn't wash, though, 'cause there's several people I know who would've been raptured; and they ain't gone yet! lol

By the way, do you take the "left behind" reference as literal?  I don't.  I think it's referring to the "spiritual" man as opposed to the literal man, within each person.

Seriously Brenda, I'm not joking. Not many people made it here. We were discussing it amongst ourselves earlier; how amazed we were that many friends we thought would be raptured with us, just aren't here.

As to whether being left behind is literal, I guess that's been answered in the affirmative for you now. yikes

if you are up there, can I have your hubs?

Certainly G1, I don't need them anymore.

By the way Peter says hello.

2. profile image0

If you were in heaven and still able to post here, you'd be capable of holding an earnest conversation instead of sarcasm.  So, time to post a roll

Posting from Heaven isn't actually that difficult Brenda as you'll find out when you get here.

As to sarcasm, you should read what our Lord said to some of the Pharisees. He's a tough act to follow.

I've seen your new house by the way.

1. profile image0

Oh yeah?   Your compass must be off, 'cause my house isn't totally new...
              But if you happen to see where my outdoor kitty cat moved her new kittens to, let me know, will ya? wink

Your new house in Heaven Brenda.

1. profile image0

Describe it for me.  Then I'll see if it lines up with the Word (not Jewish mysticism)....

1. Cagsil profile image70
                    Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This statement is the pure irony of religion. Calling Jews(belief) mysticism and not recognizing that Christianity is no different. lol

10. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"left behind" - I am better than you.

11. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Disappearingdead

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)