Old vs. New- Footloose Edition

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Okay, I'm sure everyone has probably seen both versions by now, so which is the better movie between the original and the remake?

Here's the criteria to judge by:

Who's the better Ren MacCormack?  Kevin Bacon or Kenny Wormald and why?

Who's the better Reverend Moore?  Dennis Quaid or John Lithgow and why?

Which film had the better supporting cast?

Which film had the best music?

And finally, which movie had the best story and overall was a much better film?

1. AliceKilljoy profile image60
      AliceKilljoyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kevin Bacon made a much better Ren, he is a better actor and played the character a lot better.

I love Dennis Quaid as an actor and was actually the only thing I liked about the new Footloose, but I'm just so used to seeing John Lithgow play the Reverend that I enjoy watching his performance much better.

The original had a better supporting cast, because each actor became the character they were playing, and looked so natural doing so.

The original again had the better music, I didn't like the fact that Ren listened to so much rap in the new one. Ren is not supposed to listen to rap he is supposed to listen to good oldies music.

The original had a better story line. I read that the new movie created a simpler story line. I don't see why they needed a simpler one, they didn't do a whole lot to stay true to the actual town the movie and story line was based off.

2. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Old "Foot Loose" it seems that they can never improve with a recreating an original movie. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is another example. Gene Wilder was not frightening, but Johnny Depp scares the bejeebers out of the little ones. What is the purpose of that? smile

2. tuesdaysflicks profile image60
    tuesdaysflicksposted 12 years ago

OLD FOOTLOOSE...........JUST SOMETHING ABOUT KEVIN BACON......HAD MORE ATTITUDES.

OLD ALL THE WAY WITH THE MUSIC.....BUT THE NEW MUSIC IS GREAT .....BUT I AM GOING WITH OLD SCHOOL....

1. Tusitala Tom profile image67
      Tusitala Tomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Saw a great movie the other night.  Last time I saw it was fifty-five (yes 55) years ago.   It was called, 'The Killing,' and starred Stirling Hayden.   It was about a very elaborate plan to rob a big race track in the US.    Fascinating plot, great acting, real drama, and a surprise ending.   Hard to beat.

Don't think they've ever made a rerun.

3. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

Old Footloose - great.  Kenny Loggins nailed it.

New Footloose - sucks!

Now you know why I'm not a professional reviewer.

4. tuesdaysflicks profile image60
    tuesdaysflicksposted 12 years ago

OLD FOOTLOOSE.....MUCH MORE FUN,MAKES YOU WANT TO GET UP AND DANCE....

NEW FOOTLOOSE JUST NOT FOR ME...

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You said it much better than I did.  I said 'sucks' but I meant 'just not for me'.  smile

5. LoriSoard profile image63
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

Kevin Bacon hands down. He's cuter and a better actor. The new kid did okay, but just can't hold a candle to the bacon.

Dennis Quaid was better. The original father was so unsympathetic and rigid. I truly hated him and understood why Ariel couldn't wait to get away from that town and him. Even at the end, he annoyed me a lot. John Lithgow is an excellent actor, but I didn't like the character in the first one.

I think the first one had a better cast, but I liked the actress who played the lead better in the new one. Lori Singer annoys me with all her screaming. Watch the end of the original one and you'll see what I mean.

I thought the music was even. Each showed the music of the time it was created. My 18-year-old could relate to the music in the new one, but she also likes the original version. I like that they revamped some of the original music and included it.

Each storyline had its positives. I did like the twist in the new one (spoiler coming, if you haven't seen the movie) where Ren is an orphan. I thought it was a better explanation of why someone would pack up a high school senior and make them move to a new place. In the original, the mother was there to find a job. Really? She moved from Chicago, where there are tons of opportunities, to a tiny little town so she could work as a waitress? Doesn't make sense. I also liked the uncle better in the new one. He was kinder. The uncle in the first one was just downright hateful to Ren.

So, I liked both. The original will always have a special place in my heart, but the new one kept the overall spirit of the movie and expanded on it.

6. Ehtesham12 profile image40
    Ehtesham12posted 12 years ago

The Dark knight was the best.

7. profile image52
    shezanenigmaposted 10 years ago

*Who's the better Ren MacCormack?  Kevin Bacon or Kenny Wormald and why?

I liked Kevin Bacon as Ren better than Kenny Wormald. Kevin looks more like a rebel, someone who would challenge the status quo. He had a commanding presence that Kenny does not have. Although, I have always thought Kevin was okay – I just think he looks odd. So I never liked his face for the part of Ren.

*Who's the better Reverend Moore?  Dennis Quaid or John Lithgow and why?

I liked John Lithgow better as the Reverend, but I felt Dennis Quaid did a very good job that made me think of and ‘hear’ Lithgow in his performance, but still it was his own.

*Which film had the better supporting cast?

Well, I again prefer the original supporting cast. But you know, I was a kid in the 80’s. The more I examined the supporting cast of the new Footloose, they are all pretty good for  this movie. I loved the casting of Andie McDowell as the rev’s wife. And I liked Willard almost as much as the original.  I however did not like Julianne Hugh for the part. She did a good job in her performance, but – just like the new Ren, she didn’t look the part to me.

*Which film had the best music?

The music for both movies were appropriate for the time period of each movie, however it was more entwined in the original. It kept you thinking and going through out. It was a part of the plot. I didn’t get that feel in the second one. Arial showing that she is a daring adrenaline junkie was much bettered presented in the original with her jumping at top speed from the car to the truck as opposed to just waving a flag , sitting in the window of a racecar. And the music pumped the viewer’s adrenaline. The part where Willard learns to dance was better in the original. The tractor chicken race vs the bus race was better with the music in the back ground of the original. You sang the words. In the new Footloose, the people who knew the songs from the original could place the words… but if they hadn’t enjoyed the first one they wouldn’t know the songs that were played low, or without lyrics; they would have no idea that they were great songs.  And the song they played as they were getting ready for the dance did not have the same effect as Kenny Loggins. We were excited for the dance in the original. In the new one, we didn’t get that same excitement. I did not like the remake arrangements of the songs. Including the remake of the title song. It was not a country song . They kind of countrified the music. They just didn’t have the same umpf. I was disappointed in the musical arrangements of the second Footloose.

*And finally, which movie had the best story and overall was a much better film?

The original Footloose had a better plot, they had a goal, they wanted a Prom. In the new Footloose, they just wanted a dance. In the new one, the law said they were allowed church dances and school sanctioned dances. So there was no question about an actual prom. It makes me think they were not really deprived of a dance. They just wanted to make it their own. In the original, they couldn’t even listen to music. I know now a days that’s not even near true, but back in the 80’s in the south there were towns that music and dancing were banned. So it rang true there. I liked the feel of the new Footloose, overall. But the Original was better. I also liked  the fact that his aunt and uncle were supportive of Ren in the new one. But the original still has a better overall feel and plot. And the music was a key part. I remember  coming out of ‘chorus’ class on Friday song-sheet day one week. With Footloose blaring out of the music room, and almost everyone dancing in the hall. I don’t think the new version created for the new movie would have the same effect on people.  So the original Footloose is still better.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)