What are your favourite winter comfort foods?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (25 posts)
  1. debbie roberts profile image72
    debbie robertsposted 12 years ago

Winters not far off now - where I live at least. It's the time of year to enjoy some warming comfort foods...
    I'm looking forward to beef and beer pie with suet pastry, roast potatoes, veg and a nice thick beefy gravy followed by steamed syrup pudding and custard.....Some beef stew and dumplings.....I could go on.
    What are your favourite winter comfort foods?

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just cannot wait to make my 'signature' Guinness Irish Stew - it's so tasty, warming and filling - add some nice crunchy bread and I'm in heaven! I even have a hub dedicated to this wonder!!!

2. debbie roberts profile image72
      debbie robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A nice hot, steamy bowl of avgolemono (egg & lemon) soup with big chunks of chicken, potato and carrot...Mmmmmm maybe an idea for tea tonight....

2. cashmere profile image76
    cashmereposted 12 years ago

Soups! Of all kinds. I love to make and drink soups all winter.

3. profile image0
    blatvaposted 12 years ago

I'm all about warm drinks. Apple cider, hot chocolate, peppermint tea... Always seems to taste better in the winter.

4. Erin Boggs1 profile image76
    Erin Boggs1posted 12 years ago

Chili and corn bread for me. I love vegetable soup , and the hot cider too. Oh Eggnog...but Chili on a gold day is great.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Chicken stew and dumplings and home made pea and ham soup.

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

It's not exactly any one meal that I look forward to. I look forward to getting the slow cooker out, each day adding different new ingredients to change the stew to a soup, ets.
    I love how cheaply one can eat with something like a slow cooker. The first meal is usually the only one that takes any real work, we start off with raw beans soaked overnight and 'preped' for cooking as the base. Raw beans are way cheap. At first it might be like a veggie chili with beans and veg and lots of sweet chili sauce (I want enough that a single bite is so hot you could almost orgasm from the heat! lol). Each day after its, a little fresh veg (or frozen) and maybe a tin of baked beans and then either potatoes or rice. It's crazy how one meal can last a week! And there is always hot stew/soup to warm up with during the day. The other treat I look forward to are chestnuts! Backing them in our mini-oven works a treat! Hot little nutty balls of yumminess!

1. Erin Boggs1 profile image76
      Erin Boggs1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I never thought of doing that with the slow cooker but it sounds amazingly good

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Slow cookers are brilliant. My only gripe is that when you walk into the kitchen and smell the food, you become impatient. I don't want to wait that long, I want to eat it there and then.

6. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 12 years ago

Oh, how I love the cooler season for entertaining my friends! Among my favorites are minestrone, roasted meats and roasted winter veggies, chicken and rice, tamale pie, and meatloaf w/ garlic mashed potatoes. In the #1 spot is beef stew w/ rosemary sourdough bread and a baby greens salad w/ Asian pear, walnuts, cranberries, and Gorgonzola cheese, and a balsamic vinegarette dressing. You're making me hungry! :>)

7. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

Hot custard on Currant cake - for "afters" or just a snack...

8. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

This is a great topic.

We just put up our first pot of chili the other night and it was awesome.
    Now I'm going to go make some minestrone (or in honor of Halloween "sinisterone") soup.
    Pretty soon it will be time for POT ROAST (yum yum!).
    Oh, and a lovely baked macaroni and cheese.

Can't wait around for it to get cold. Or else I'd have only about a month's worth of winter comfort!

1. homesteadbound profile image81
      homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sinisterone! I love it!

9. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

I can't get enough stew in winter.  I had it four night's running last week.  I have also started on the Christmas puddings, as they are already in the shops.  Stew, followed by Christmas pudding and a pot of tea constantly on the go is the ideal winter recipe for me.

10. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

I must confess - I am like Wilfion - I have had stew three nights in a row and lunch tomorrow is calling for the same. As I sit here with my English hot tea and honey, I wonder what Christmas pudding is...that is a new item for me.

Great forum post - thank you!

1. profile image0
      Wilfionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had assumed everyone had Christmas pudding after their Christmas dinner.  Most people usually eat it, even if they hate it, because it is traditional, like sprouts.   It is also known as plum pudding or figgy pudding, and has been eaten after Christmas dinner since mediaeval times.  It is like a fruit cake but richer, and is served with brandy sauce or has brandy poured over it before it is set on fire.  However, I wouldn't recommend this, as a relation of mine once set her hair on fire in the process.  It is often decorated with holly, and traditionally had a sixpence mixed with the fruit, so that whoever found it received some luck.  At least if they hadn't broken their tooth on it.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5679519_f248.jpg

1. debbie roberts profile image72
        debbie robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I gave up making our Christmas pudding a few years ago as I could never get it right, I think I managed to make one decent one..They either tasted nasty or went mouldy, it's very damp here in the winter and even keeping it near the de humidifier didn't work..
        After months of anticipating what the pudding would taste like or even if it had been successful was more than I could bear. So I now buy it and stick to making the cake...It is a Christmas must have though!!...With lashings of cream!!

11. homesteadbound profile image81
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

Hot chocolate!

12. leahlefler profile image96
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering (and cat on a soapbox, can I come over for dinner - YUM)!

I love hot tea and cinnamon rolls for a snack in the winter, but my favorite dinners are stews and chilis. Anything that takes a while to cook and heats up the kitchen!

Our first snow is tomorrow night, so I suppose I should start the slow cooker!

13. Claudia Tello profile image68
    Claudia Telloposted 12 years ago

Pumpkin in all its forms but specially roasted and soup.

1. Claudia Tello profile image68
      Claudia Telloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh! And fruitcake of course!

14. profile image0
    twodawgsposted 12 years ago

In cooler weather, I like soups, stews, casseroles, roasted veggies and meat of all kinds.

15. At Home Mommy profile image60
    At Home Mommyposted 12 years ago

Pretty much anything pumpkin - pumpkin muffins, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin soup, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin cheesecake. And I love butternut squash soup. smile

16. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Soups, stews, and pasta.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)