Crawl Errors in WMT

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I'd never really used WMT until we got subdomains, but I seem to have an inordinate amount of 'file not found' errors - 78 since the middle of September. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Maybe I'm just clutching at straws, but is there any link between a plunged domain and crawl errors?

I have many hubs that have not been crawled since the end of August/start of September, and many of them have shown a crawl error since, then nothing more. And no they are not getting any traffic, Google or otherwise, whereas they used to do well.

My best hub - everyone has one even in tough times - has just dropped a few more positions in the SERPS, then I noticed it suffered a 'redirect error' on the 22nd that was listed under 'not followed'.

I'll be honest, I don't really understand this aspect of things so really have no clue as too whether they are related or not.

Anyone?

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Sorry, Izzy - showing my ignorance here. I haven't a clue what a WRM is and the only SERPS I know is, "State Earnings Related Pension Scheme."

I presume they are some sort of method of checking Google status for Hubs/websites?

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

It's my understanding that google really, really does hate broken links. I've got a year-old hub right now that the filter inadvertently unpublished and I'm starting to get worried. I sincerely believe you may have found the source of your sandbox problem. As to how to fix it, I have not a clue. sad

4. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

OMG it would help if I could type!!

I meant to say GWT which Google Webmaster tools. The broken links there are completely outside my control.

SERPS are search engine results pages.

5. KeithTax profile image72
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

Contact HP staff to cover any issues at their end.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to, but I won't. I'll get a standard brush-off letter in reply no doubt, if I got one at all.

1. KeithTax profile image72
        KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is not an excuse for not trying.

1. IzzyM profile image88

If I was really trying, I would google the errors and learn all about them, but you know, the older I get, the less I can be bothered!

I got a new wifi long range adapter in the post today to try and boost my own (pretty poor) mobile wifi signal, but when I plugged it in and installed the driver, I got this page up talking about MAC addresses, and SSIDs and WMMs and I haven't a clue what they are talking about!!

I have spent the WHOLE DAY messing about with it, and Googling different things and finally my internet is a little faster, but I'm none the wiser really.

Yet 10 year olds could plug one of these things and be up and running in minutes.

Showing my age, I suppose.

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Izzy, I'm at least as ignorant of this as you are, but:

I have 44 "not found" errors in my 120 hubs - this is probably worse than you show.

Going to "diagnostics" and "html suggestions" shows I have one short meta tag (summary?) but that's all.  Non-indexable content shows nothing.

I do note that every one of my "can't find" errors seem to have truncated URL's.  The last part is simply missing. Every one is also a "404" error.  Don't know what it means, though.

I wish I knew more about this stuff, but I don't most of the stuff G tells me in WMT goes right over my head.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Going by your ratio to mine, then mine isn't high, and your traffic is OK, so maybe it was just another of those ideas I had that didn't mean anything at all - I get a lot of them LOL

Thanks!

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sad I was hoping you would come up with something different.  Like you, I haven't stopped looking and thinking, but never come up with anything.

1. IzzyM profile image88

I think it was when Paradigmsearch asked if anyone had a hub that hadn't been crawled for as long one of his/hers (sorry, I don't know which it is) and I picked one of mine at random, out of the dozens of hubs I have that haven't had a view in a month, and realized it was 2 months since it had been crawled, that I began to look more closely at the whole Google crawling thing.

Don't understand any of it, just looking for a pattern, something..

Of course, I will never know, because whatever is apparently wrong with mine, if it is something wrong that can be corrected, it becomes another way for spammers to learn how to cheat Google.

Google search is all messed up.

There was a major incident in my street today (and don't forget I live in the back of beyond) - police, Guardia, ambulances the lot - and while I know what happened, I wondered if it had been reported in the news.

All these Chinese sites came up! I'm Like...what?

They were half-Chinese/half-English with snippets of the words I'd put into search and when I looked they just links and nothing tangible or related, even to each other!

I never even saw a Chinese search result come up in Google until China Daily stole one of my hubs. Now I see them all the time.

Is this part of their 'personalised search' things? If so, I am seriously going to stop using them.

I don't speak Chinese.

Paradigm may have to just be an "it" for now.  That ought to be good enough smile

Yeah, Izzy, that's the problem all right - google isn't going to tell anyone what's wrong because that knowledge will then be used to scam the system.  It's a mess. sad

Maybe you better just brush up on your Mandarin.  We may all need it in a few years anyway.  smile

1. IzzyM profile image88

ROFL, got that it one!

7. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

404 errors are often displayed when the loading of a page times out as well as when the page can't be found. Perhaps Google is having problems following the redirects of the backlinks?

1. IzzyM profile image88

Maybe that is why the whole site changed to java or whatever the latest change was?

8. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I don't how Java effects load time, I know a bit from changing Java script on my bosses site. What were they using before?

1. IzzyM profile image88

No idea.

Going back to your previous point, 404s can be the result of page timeouts? So increasing the speed of a website's load time should reduce that figure?

Just to interject, WMT shows the load time on my hubs to be way, way over the average.  I can't seem to find where I originally found that, so can't give numbers, but it was much higher than what G seemed to want to see.

Could be length (I probably average 1500+ words), could be lots of pictures, including Amazon and eBay capsules.

Make of it what you will.  I gave up on worrying about it as I can't affect it anyway.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Let the blind lead the blind!

I've noticed that whenever my crawl rate increases, my load time decreases by the same rate.

I have read somewhere that HP is slow compared to many websites, but I have not found that to be the case.

I have a pretty crap access, and HP is better than most at loading pages. Try loading a news site on a slow connection, yet what news site do you know has been penalised in any way?

Hadn't noticed that about crawl rate - I wonder why that happens?

I don't find HP slow, either, but big G apparently does.  Again, no idea why.

Almost certainly another dead end, but what else is new?  Just throwing data and thoughts out there in the hopes you could add your data to it and learn something.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)