Dating While Going Through A Divorce: Is This Considered "Cheating"?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (48 posts)
  1. miss butterfly profile image61
    miss butterflyposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately all marriages don't last a lifetime. But when going through a divorce, is it bad to begin dating BEFORE the divorce is final? Some strongly believe dating someone new should not begin until the final paperwork has been signed. Others believe that the paperwork is merely a formality. What are your thoughts?

1. emrldphx profile image60
      emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's up to the individual. For instance, my friend was going through a divorce when he met his current wife and started dating. He had been separated for 2 years before he filed for divorce. After he filed, his ex got a lawyer who specializes in delaying court dates, and it took 2.5 more years to get it finalized.

I see no reason to wait if the divorce is going to happen. Maybe if it's not a certainty, but I think it's an individual choice.

2. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont think it has anything to do with paperwork. I have seen a few friends "dating" while divorcing. It seems the biggest problem is jumping from one relationship to another, with no rest in betweeen can be a huge strain on the new relationship. So far, none of my friends first after divorce dating, has worked out. I think a person needs time to recover from the failed marriage, and be whole and healthy, before attempting a new relationship.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
        Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, for many reasons. The process of divorce can leave anyone vulnerable, and when you're vulnerable, you're likely to make bad relationship decisions.

3. profile image0
      Mike Bigioniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's definitely not. I completely agree with DoorMattnomore though. Don't get serious. Take time for yourself.
      If a marriage is over, it is over. If you are going to date just have some respect for the other person and not bring your dates around the house or family. I have seen that done and it isn't very nice.

1. profile image53
        poopypauntz2112posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course dating while married is cheating - just because man says that it's okay, doesn't make it any more right. If a person(s) are going to get married with all the ponce and circumstance, they SHOULD know, dating while married is considered a SIN in the eyes of the Lord. Now, if those same folk(s) choose to sleep around etc then they are willfully going against the grain of the bible.

1. Cardisa profile image88
          Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How did the bible get in here? Why is it that Christians (and I am a Christian) always use the bible to make others feel like they are bound to hell?

The definition of cheating:

"Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: Deceive or trick."

So long as the individual is not deceiving the other person by lying about seeing some, then it isn't cheating. Plus, the fact that they are already broken up and probably not living together means there is no way that is cheating.

Cheating implies that you are deceiving someone who trusts you. If the marriage is okay and they believe you to be faithful and you go behind their backs and get involved with someone else, then you are cheating.

1. hubpagegirl profile image60
            hubpagegirlposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In the eyes of the court, it's technically cheating. It depends on the judge as to how seriously it will be taken. As far as it being labeled cheating by some Christians... it technically is cheating in a moral sense. If one is a Christian, then one obviously made a promise to God first, then their husband or wife. It doesn't mean you're bound to hell, but I'd ask for forgiveness. God understands that we're human, but He also gave us self-control. No one said anything about being bound for hell except for you. Cheating is cheating as long as you're legally married.

2. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

Nah.  Just tacky to most folks although is a definite to your spouse that you're serious.

3. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I don't see how it could be cheating. A divorce is just putting a legal end to something that's already over.  The cheating is usually what happens before the divorce.

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Upon divorcing, one should abstain from sexual relations for a period of 15 years, so as to allow the body time to rid itself of the former spouse's essence.

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ewwwwwww yuk lol

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

emotional essences.. that is smile

2. Sally's Trove profile image79

I do agree that some kind of purification is in order...15 years might be a stretch. lol

7 hours ok?

Not without REALLY intensive psychotherapy.

that's what i called my looooooooooove making skills

Oh my goodness, some pricey therapist would really like to see you. lol

As long as they are registered

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OMG! LOLOLO! big_smile A person could become a little dusty by then. tongue

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

If you are officially separated it is not cheating, especially as the process can take years.

Having been through this, I can tell you that entering into a love relationship before a divorce is final is not a good idea. Losing a marriage is like experiencing a death. There's a grieving process that needs to happen. In that process, you put your life back in order. I don't think you can do that if you put the demands of a new relationship ahead of what you need to learn about yourself regarding how the marriage failed.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As the child of a woman who waited over ten years from separation to divorce, I think you should keep in mind that your situation is not universal.

I think we agree?

2. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the above. I'm not even close to divorced after four years and I'm living with someone. I've been with the one guy since some time after we separated, my ex ... I've lost count of the women he's had.

I don't consider either of us a cheat.

You got the conversation back on track...no, it is not cheating. Some of this went to whether or not having a relationship while separated but not divorced is a good or bad thing. I think I'll get off my horse now.

1. frogdropping profile image78

Dearest Sally ... I wasn't meaning to get the topic back on track, just answering the OP. I agree with you and Denise by the way, about being healthy and whole before embarking back into coupledom (supposing the opportunity presents itself).

I'm not one to follow, I never do anything by halves and rarely do I do anything sans the unhinged part of my brain being involved.

Hear that people? Do not jump feet first into a new relationship until you're ready *looking for a stern-faced smilie* post-separation.

I don't think any part of your brain is unhinged. smile

I think I love you smile

I know i love you both

Love is in the air. Is it February?

6. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

If a relationship has come to an end and all you're doing is waiting for the paperwork to be completed then I would say go ahead a date. It makes no sense to put your life on hold. I have a friend who has been going through a difficult divorce process for over 2 years! I also know of other couples who have been separated for 20 years and never filed for a divorce or legal separation. My only suggestion would be to inform the other person you are dating that you are "legally" still married at this time. You'd hate to have something turn serious and then later have to state "it's complicated"...etc

Your comment brings up another question, not to derail the purpose of this thread, but why can divorce proceedings take so terribly long? Because people are undecided about how they feel about each other, because dealing with the finality is so painful, or because there is so much hatred and resentment that these negative feelings get played out in court in terms of dollars at which point no one is willing to bend, or that the children are being used as pawns?

If any of these responses to divorce is in play, then how could one of the parties to the divorce even begin to entertain a relationship with someone else?

With this question, cheating takes on another dimension...who are you cheating when you engage in a romantic relationship before your divorce is final, yourself, your spouse, your children? What is "cheating"? I think it means dodging around your responsibilities, promises, and commitments, whatever they may be. Just food for thought.

to answer your question....

BECAUSE LAWYERS AND THE LEGAL SYSTEM THEY USED ARE A BUNCH OF MONEY-HUNGERY SOBs

smile

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
        dashingscorpioposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In my friend's case there are no children invovled. They own a few real estate properties and had a business together. They can't seem to strike a compromise on the $$$$ involved. A prenup would have made life a lot easier but that's now water under the bridge. Eventually one of them will cave in to get it over with. It might take falling in love with someone and want ing to be free to marry again....

7. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

We belong...to a mutual...admiration society. My baby and me, oh... (repeat refrain) smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdSnVOc9ew

8. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

@ Sally - my divorce isn't happening because I haven't yet found the motivation to download all the paperwork and fill it out. Just laziness on my part. He's happy, I'm more than (I mean in our current relationships) and the paperwork is one of those 'I'm gonna get round to it' things.

@ Greek - yeppers. Which is why I ain't using any. I did try but they just saw how much money I was entitled to and started getting excited. I'm not interested in that side of getting divorced. If I was, I'd have stayed for the big bucks. Anyway long story short they despaired with me. I tried a different one, she also ended up depressed.

I bowed out before they started suing me for stress.

9. sweet face profile image61
    sweet faceposted 12 years ago

I believe its up to each individual on what they decide to do.  Depends also if children are involved as you need to be there for them throughout this.  I personally could not move on until everything was settled as the whole thing is mentally exhausting. Paperwork is a formality but your life is turned upside down.

*sigh* and so it is.

10. IJR112 profile image60
    IJR112posted 12 years ago

Why would it be cheating?  You aren't together anymore, even if it's not technically official yet.

11. miss butterfly profile image61
    miss butterflyposted 12 years ago

So many interesting comments and feedback! Most agree that once the papers have been filed and the process itself is in motion, it is OKAY to date and doing so is NOT considered cheating.  I believe that those going through divorce should take some time to find out who they are--seperate from their soon to be ex--before they venture out into the world of dating. I also believe that divorce is a long and painful process that no one should endure alone. That being said, as long as one is emotionally ready to date...I say go for it :-)

12. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

No, just being a glutton for punishment.

13. samnashy profile image71
    samnashyposted 11 years ago

If you are both ready for a divorce then it's ok, and to be quite honest if divorce is on the cards I reckon cut the ties and move forward. Every cloud has a silver lining

14. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

The simple fact that one half of  marriages end in divorce  tells me .....That the answer  doesn't much matter in that two people  have already failed at doing  something right .  Put your hormones back in your pants until you learn impulse control.  To begin another relationship before the other is "over " is an invitation for added baggage .........the next time around .  Humankind is about the most inept lover of all of  natures pairs.

15. profile image52
    steveo42posted 10 years ago

It is not all that simple, several aspects to consider (it's complicated, of course)

emotionally, and generally, speaking, If one or both of you are committed to the relationship, you should not cheat, but you should earn your way out of that relationship before starting another one.  That is the decent thing to do, as you can seriously traumatize an otherwise decent person who has every reason to trust you, they were serious enough to marry you, they will likely be devastated for a long time.

If you have worked through the issues with your marriage partner, or at least put your best effort into it, and realize you can't stay together, then it isn't exactly cheating if you both agree that moving on is what is best.

If your partner is one of those worthless cheating unrepentant scumbags, especially one who starts a new relationship secretly or sleeps around, then you are obviously free to do what you will whenever you think you are ready, though chances are you are not in a good place mentally.
    In that situation, if you find someone who is patient and understanding, perhaps even been through a similar situation, it can be a tremendous help and validation that you are indeed loveable.  It is ok to try anyway to do a reality check, and forgive yourself if you make a few mistakes along the way while trying to adjust.

If you are not interested in a relationship, that is fine too.  I think we glorify relationships too much in this society anyway, giving childless couples tax breaks and insurance breaks and a host of other perks just because they are a fancy form of couple, which either one can walk away from at anytime anyway (and be rewarded monetarily in many cases).  If you bother to look, there are plenty of satisfied single people out there, some of whom are lifers.

Legally, there is a chance it can cause problems depending on where you are and even which judge you get (and the attorneys involved if any).  Also there is some consolation in waiting till you are actually divorced if you are too busy to find and develop a relationship anyway, which is likely the case if there are kids and your spouse is acting like a horny teenager and you think the kids should have at least one parent who doesn't undermine their integrity.  But it would be good, legally to keep any "adult" activities on the downlow once you know the marriage is over before the divorce is final if it isn't too inconvenient anyway.  If your spouse would be hurt by it then conflict will be more likely, if your spouse is already seeing someone and they are a jerk, they may collect actual evidence of your activities and use it against you anyway.

Even if you both agree to see other people I would put the agreement in writing in duplicate and have both parties sign it.  And I would limit kids exposure to such partners until you are pretty sure about them being around for a while and offer your partner the opportunity to meet with them first.

Kids and new partners is a whole separate book.

16. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

I think once divorce papers have been served, that's pretty official notice the marriage
    is over. But not always!
    I think a lot depends on your motives, too.
    Rushing into dating to make yourself feel better about your divorce could end up "cheating" your date -- and also yourself.
    Revenge dating is emotionally sick (but so common).
    The ideal thing is to grieve for your marriage and figure out what exactly you have to
    bring to a new relationship and what you want in a dating partner.
    If you do get involved with someone else, but the divorce lingers indefinitely, is that really fair to the someone else? Doesn't s/he deserve as much or more than your not-quite ex?

But ... we are human and thus imperfect.

I would caution anyone considering getting involved with someone who is "going through a divorce" to be prepared to be the transition/rebound person. If you are ok with that, then go with it...

17. Mohamed Aamer profile image60
    Mohamed Aamerposted 7 years ago

A lot of men preceive the task of starting a conversation with a woman especially if she is highly attractive stranger a hard and discomforting one. Besides that, they typically take the wrong attitude of being too nice and over openhanded with flowers, paying for dinners and expressing their lack of confidence and low self esteem.

The women on their part are not attracted to unconfident, dishonest, wussy men. They will either decline him on the spot or possibly worse take...

18. Angel C Dye profile image61
    Angel C Dyeposted 4 years ago

I think I may be a personal expert at this one considering I’ve divorced twice and sadly recently widowed for my third.
    First off, Angel’s rule #1: NEVER say you will never remarry again, because you will be the 1st one to do that such thing.
    Angel’s rule #2: always have fun. I know after a divorce there is so much stress. If there are kids involved or not, the stress of finances, of material items and sadly the ending of your once “forever, till death do you part” love. (Side note if you truly loved your spouse don't feel alone when you realize that you still love them, because you always will to a degree).
    Anyway, with all this going on, male
    or female, you need to enjoy yourself once again.
    Sometimes to enjoy yourself again is to go out and flirt a little and yes even go out on a date or 2. I do not think you should have anything serious, at first while you are still in this roller coaster of stress, emotions, anger and so many other feelings you probably never knew existed.
    Angel’s rule #3: Joy’s of the internet. Now I am the 1st to say that the internet has ruined personal relationships with texting and social media and no talking anymore to the person sitting in the same room even, but I also say, just like the Ying Yang, there is always a little good in everything bad and a little bad in everything good. Social media is great reconnecting lost family, friends and loved ones while staying connected to people in your life that are miles away. It also is my cure for divorce and any self loathing you may get from time to time. I use the word loosely, but “date” hundreds of people online. Not saying you send naughty things, well unless you’re of age and you want to, but I’m saying anyone, I mean anyone, can go online and find the right social media site, i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Kik (not just for teens anymore), Fubar, Meetme, and thousands more. Do not feel defeated if you are not high on the radar on the first few you try, keep trying. Get dressed up in your best and do your hair and makeup, if you wear it, and take hundreds of selfies back-to-back. You may delete most, but you will have a few hot ones that some cannot resist. Then go into groups or rooms or whatever your site called them and say/type hello.
    When my husband passed after several months I had been staring at the same 4 walls never leaving, well I took my advice and I did everything I have stated and let me tell you, I even smiled for the 1st time in 5 months after I lost him. You will get crazy people but hey at least not face to face and you can virtually date anyone.

So answering this discussion yes, yes date till your heart's content if that will make you smile, but advisable not to get serious which can be hard, but try.
    If having people flirt with you and compliment you in the most overly dramatic way, is not your thing, then try to have a little fun, a little sunshine to brighten up a dark gray time in your life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)