An update on my earnings here

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (119 posts)
  1. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Given the rough-and-tumble year we've had with respect to traffic (Panda), I thought I'd share my experience, and maybe encourage others to share theirs, too.

I can't disclose exact CPMs or traffic numbers that allow you to deduce CPMs (violation of AdSense TOS), but I will share percentage increases.

1st slice: November 2010 - this was the last month I was running AdSense only, and this was before Panda, of course

2nd slice: October 2011 - post-Panda recovery, Ad Program + AdSense together

3rd slice: October 15-31 - smaller slice, but with 2 major changes: my traffic fell about 1/3 (after going gangbusters for a couple of months) but after the AdSense Custom Javascript implementation gave me a huge Ad Program boost

Slice 1: earnings $361
    Slice 2: earnings $681, CPM +24% higher than in Slice 1
    Slice 3: earnings $362, CPM +38% higher than in Slice 1 (and 25% higher than the 2 weeks prior)

Based on my current traffic run-rate, I'm getting 28% more traffic than I was getting in November 2010, but I'm making 83% more money. smile

1. vocalcoach profile image94
      vocalcoachposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is great! I don't understand it all smile but I am more motivated than ever after reading this.  Thanks so much!

livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're quite welcome. I can (try to) explain anything that seems confusing. smile

1. homesteadbound profile image81
          homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is CPM?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
            paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, homesteadbound. I saw you on the HP front page. WTG.

Thanks

2. Garrett Mickley profile image78
            Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CPM is how much money you make per 1000 hits.  So, if your CPM is $5 you will make $5 for every 1000 hits you get.

2. tyra marieza profile image61
        tyra mariezaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you vocal coach, I don't understand it all. But I understand that number after the dollar sign and that's enough to help me comprehend smile

3. Sharicey profile image60
        Shariceyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Vocalcoach...I'm not sure I understand it completely but it gives me some motivation. Thanks

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In 2007, I earned $112 for the whole month of November.

In 2011, I earned that much in the first three days of November.

1. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Significant difference !!

2. againsttheodds profile image61
        againsttheoddsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is this from 200 hubs?

3. beautyspot2010 profile image61
      beautyspot2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

can someone explain how i can earn more smile ive earnt 23 cent so far in 5 days.

1. LeanMan profile image80
        LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Go to the help center and have a read.. or search for other hubs about increasing earnings, keywords, backlinks, seo, onpage seo, and a host of other stuff that you will find as you start to learn (search box is top right)..

But generally having earned anything after just six days is an achievement, hubs mature over time....like a cheese!!

4. jimmythejock profile image83
      jimmythejockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jason thanks for sharing this information, I was doubtful of all of the changes at first but I have been proven wrong here is a breakdown of my earnings since the recent changes.....jimmy
      September 17-October 17 Google adsense = $613.17

October 17-November 17 Hubpages ad Program = $885.14

October 17-November 17 Google Adsense =$145.50

Total for google and Hubpages ad program=$1030.64

TOTAL Difference in earnings  my earnings are up by $417.17

Thanks for sharing this, Jimmy. Was the jump a matter of an increase in traffic, CPM, or a combination of both for you?

1. jimmythejock profile image83
          jimmythejockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Livelonger there was an increase in cpm and i have also had around a 33% increase in traffic all in all my future on hubpages is looking good.....jimmy

Nice smile

1. greatstuff profile image91
              greatstuffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is amazing..how do you guys do it?..any chance of sharing? I know there's a lot of articles on how to increase your earnings etc, but I don't seems to be moving that fast enough. Is it because I have less than 15hubs?

I didn't earn a lot until I had a corpus of well over 100 Hubs, and it does take time for even the best of Hubs to get decent traffic from the search engines. I'm spending more time nowadays making sure my Hubs are full of the best information, because competition is only getting fiercer.

5. againsttheodds profile image61
      againsttheoddsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

livelonger, is that from just 165 hubs?

Yes, although I publish new Hubs and unpublish some unsalvageable old ones from time to time. I've published a bit more than 200 Hubs total, but have unpublished/deleted close to 40 of them (most of which were never big traffic drivers or earners).

That is what I did -- deleted/unpublished articles that were unsuccessful, were bad topics, or simply did not get traffic because of SEO etc...

Based on the fact that I'm getting better traffic now, I think removing stuff that Google has signaled it doesn't like (because it's not getting any traffic) seems to have helped the other stuff.

6. tyra marieza profile image61
      tyra mariezaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very, very encouraging.

7. bry1980 profile image40
      bry1980posted 12 years agoin reply to this

hi we are new how do you make money on here can someone please help us thanks

8. Dorsi profile image86
      Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update. Did you customize your Google ads through Adsense to optimize your ad space? I got an email from them a couple months ago that I had more space to optimize but I don't know how to do that.

No, I ignore those emails because they (i.e. their automated bot) are apparently unaware of the fact that the reason I only have 1 ad unit per Hub is that I'm running the HubPages Ad Program, too, and I get more AdSense units delivered that way.

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I've lost most of my traffic and earnings with the sub-domain switch on August 10th.  I went from making hundreds of dollars per month on both Adsense and Amazon to practically nothing now.  Not too happy at the moment.

No one--including you guys--can tell me why I suddenly plummeted overnight.  A very frustrating experience, to say the least.

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Randy, its you and me both - August 10th - throat cut, only I had another drop on the 13th of October.
      I am glad I started that second account, might be able to rescue something from Christmas, but I wish I knew what was wrong with my main account.
      I'm now earning roughly the same as I did in my first few months here with next to no hubs.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
        theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm still down here with you both on this profile too. sad

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some sort of clusterf**k, no doubt.  Google has screwed us royally!  smile

2. IzzyM profile image85

Yeah of course, you too, and was it CMHypno? We have this little group of hubbers who are collateral damage, and no-one gives a toss so long as their account is OK.

The selfish attitude from some hubbers stinks.

So true, Izzy!  Too bad we have no one here on HP staff who can help other than flinging insults at us!  smile

1. IzzyM profile image85

I even read the Google rating Document, the one they didn't want us to see, and there are no clues there except to say recipe hubs written with non-US measurements will get rated down (for Google.com). I have no hubs that broke any of the rules they talked about there, and the only thing they said about RSS feeds is that they will rate down content that consists of nothing but an RSS feed, in other words those MFA people who don't write any orginal content and just stick a feed on a site and let someone else's content fill it.

They don't especially like affiliate sites with nothing but (ie) Amazon capsules, but add a decent amount of original text too and they are fine with that.

The 50 word rule should take care of that anyway.

Yep, I removed lots of Amazon capsules and all of the RSS capsules too in hopes that might help.  Also links capsules with the duplicate content sentences but nothing has helped one bit.  I don't think we've done anything wrong as I've checked out hubs by those whose traffic has increased and I'm not impressed with their work at all.

Something stinks about this whole thing!

1. IzzyM profile image85

I have to say I agree with you there.

Some of my hubs maybe don't read well out loud according to HP's SEO, but at least they are readable which is more than I can say for some. But I refuse to bitch about other people's work because that isn't nice.

There is a time and place for not being nice.  Besides, I'm a snake!  smile

2. theherbivorehippi profile image65
                    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agree. Honestly...how can we go from having one of our strongest months to garbage in a day? I'm baffled. Something is just not right. I hope our "private party" takes a different direction soon.

2. toygurus profile image56
                  toygurusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am still hopeful things that things will turn around, but it's hard to be optimistic when the community doesn't really support you.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
                    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hubbers can express sympathy with the plungers, or speculate about what causes certain hubs to fall (and I have done both) - But in practical terms the only people who really matter are Google, as they effectively decide how highly your hubs rank and therefore your level of traffic and earnings.

2. authorfriendly profile image64
            authorfriendlyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

for what its worth I care

1. IzzyM profile image85

I just saw this comment. Thanks, authorfriendly smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

It is indeed sad for both of us, Izzy.  I went from the highest earning month ever to the lowest almost overnight.  I wish I knew whose ass to beat!  smile

3. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's great news, Izzy, that something good is happening your way. I surely hope it continues and grows for you.

1. IzzyM profile image85

Its good that my second account hasn't been slapped and is growing, but what a huge amount of work I have ahead of me, just to claw something back! I already put in the two years hard work, and I have to start and do it all over.

Meanwhile I have all those sites and blogs up and need a team to write the content for all of them, but there is just me. I just can't do it all.

And with no guarantee we won't be slapped around by the big G at any time in the future.

2. Lily Rose profile image84
      Lily Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

DITTO

3. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

As of now (November 2011) I am earning pretty much the same as I was last year. However, this is with twice as much traffic as I had this time last year.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Sept 2011 earned as much as Nov. and Dec. last year put together - up until then my best earning period.  10% hub quantity increase.

October fell 10%, a bare handful of new hubs.

Traffic has, by now, gone up from Sept by 20% or more.  Xmas is coming.  I hope to see Nov beat Sept by a considerable amount.  The one day so far was good....smile

1. HikeGuy profile image70
      HikeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Livelonger -- Thanks for posting that encouraging report. I started posting hubs again recently and keep looking for ways to improve my results.

What do you think accounts for the increase in earnings, if you don't mind my asking? I realize no one has a crystal ball for what works post-Panda, yet I suspect that there are things we can learn through experimenting.

I'm glad to see some others here recovering traffic.

Yesterday I edited the tags, tweaked the keywords and added an update and a couple of relevant links to one of my older hubs, and today it's getting more traffic than any of my hubs other than the newest one.

Any thoughts on what's working for you?

I think for the CPM surge it has to do with the Ad Program, which has worked really well for me, personally. (YMMV, and others will tell you they do better with AdSense alone, apparently.)

My traffic has gone up a bit since last year (i.e. it went down drastically with Panda, went back up to just shy of what it was before Panda with the recovery, went up WAY past it for a couple of months, and has now settled to a level a bit higher than before). I've retired close to 2 dozen Hubs which were either never getting traffic or were horribly outdated, and published about 3 dozen more. Most of the new ones, though, are too new to be getting significant traffic yet (there is that long wait before they get authority with Google).

5. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Hey guys, I started a second account just try a keyword ready for Christmas, apparently 'Stocking' gets 100,000 searches, whether it'll be worth anything I don't know..but every bit helps.

1. visitmaniac profile image61
      visitmaniacposted 12 years agoin reply to this

stocking is to general of a term you wont ever rank for it and it could be any number of things such as stockings for xmas, womens stockings etc.

Christmas stockings only gets 12,100 searches world wide and on top of that its in high competition your chances of ranking for it are very low. Plus seasonal stuff means your going to loss that traffic after the hollidays.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know its a general term, I wasn't trying to earn mega bucks with it..but I wanted to get in on the Christmas traffic. I know Christmas Stockings only gets 12,100 searches, but do you think that will stay at 12,100 next month? It was the only keyword domain left when I chose it.

I get 3,000 daily views from this account.

I know other well established SEO hubbers who have chosen keyword domains that only receive 12,000 monthly searches in time for Xmas.

This is not a major project of mine, I have a lot of websites on the go at the moment, I am an SEO developer for a merchant services company as my day job.

I have numerous websites that rank on the first page for over 100,000 exact searches.

Not going off on one or anything, I just don't want you to think I am an amateur, I do remember you were here when I joined..to give me advice..so all respect intended.

6. cardelean profile image87
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

I agree with HikeGuy, thanks for sharing your encouraging info.  I wasn't a member for much before the panda hit so I wasn't affected like others.  I did take a steep plunge (for me) Oct. 13th but I've had my best day since then today and a decent day yesterday so I'm trying to keep positive that I'm on the upswing of this latest hit.

7. HikeGuy profile image70
    HikeGuyposted 12 years ago

Livelonger -- Thanks. Good point about the HP ad program -- I started that in October and the results so far are encouraging. I'm working on creating more new ones and tweaking the old ones. Thanks again for the encouraging post.

-- Trent

My pleasure. Good luck!

8. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Hubpages has always been good for me. Relative to other online platforms it is simple to use and highly profitable.

I wish they had stopped tinkering with stuff last month and left the adsense unit top right. That really delivered in my case. If it benefits the majority, though, I suppose I shouldn't complain (too much).

If I'm not hurt by the Amazon changes that are on the way, I am looking forward to enjoying the doubling of income- relative to last year- that the sub-domain switch ushered in.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am doubling and honestly do not have any complaints and I am happy about that. smile

9. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 12 years ago

For me, the change to subdomains more than trebled my traffic from about 500 to 1,700 views per day. I'm finding the HP ads scheme works better than adsense ever did, but I'm not making any effort to chase money here. I just write what interests me at the time.
    I don't use eBay because I have nothing to sell, and don't use Amazon because of their union-breaking activities and their effect on small bookshops.

10. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

HPads is neither here nor there for me. It cannabilises Adsense, and doesn't return what Adsense did. When I had a huge traffic increase, it didn't come close to touching what I used to earn from Adsense alone.

1. IzzyM profile image85

My adsense has died too, even if I switch HPads off.

What annoys me about Hpads is that if I have 200 views, I have a CPM of <TOS violation>, but if I have 1000 views, the CPM drops to <TOS violation>.

So all those extra views don't equate to extra earnings, like they would do with Adsense.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I get the same thing, and I would be extremely grateful to hear an explanation from one of the staff as to why.

After all it's not much of a motivation to try and write more hubs/increase your traffic, if you know that your CPM is going to go down.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I asked this question a while back and Jason answered it was because I was getting worthless traffic from India. I think it is crazy to make blanket judgements on a geographical basis. You get avid consumers everywhere.

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm. My most viewed hub on this account is currently getting HALF of all my traffic, and it's the hub that is most responsible for any fluctuations in my overall views.

So by looking at its stats, I can get a very good overall idea of where my traffic is coming from. And it's mainly google.co.uk, google.com and google.com.au, with a tiny proportion of google.co.in.

1. IzzyM profile image85

That didn't take long for me to look up either, having so few hubs with views, and one in particular showing a similar traffic pattern to yours.

Less than 10% of all my views over the last month, have come from anywhere at all in the world outside of the US, Canada, Australia and UK and Ireland.

These Indian guys must be earning us a negative CPM!

2. IzzyM profile image85

I do apologise for the TOS violations I unwittingly put in this comment - as the CPMs were not exact but were rather rounded figures, I did not think I was breaking any rules.

Worth noting in case anyone else does the same.

11. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 12 years ago

My results have been good with around 100% earnings increase from Aug to Sep and a further 100% increase from Set to Oct but with only 3 new hubs.  The earlier increase was linked to Panda algorithm changes and the later increase because I switched Hub Ads on again.

I do sympathise with the plungers, however.  I have a secondary account that plunged to zero for a few days in October then traffic returned.  It has now plunged again and i'm waiting to see if it recovers.  Although overall I'm doing well this plunging really upsets me because there is no logical explaination for it.  I'm frustrated that neither hubpages nor the web seem to have a solution.  I appreciate it must really suck if this happens to your primary account AND there is no immediate recovery!

12. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

I am really happy for those in this thread who are posting such good results and increasing their earnings. smile  Good reward for all your hard work and long may it continue for you all.

However, I'm in the plunger club with Izzy, the herbivorehippi and Randy for no good reason that I can see - having tweaked, tweaked and tweaked some more.

Am currently concentrating on short stories for the contest, not for traffic or any thoughts of winning, but because I want to develop my creative writing skills.

As the hypnotherapy side of things has also tanked due to the economy, have had to take a part time job, but the path of life is a twisting one at the best of times, so am just trying to enjoy the journey.

Hope all of you who are doing well have a happy and profitable Christmas season.

(Fellow plungers lets break out the vodka!)

smile

13. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

@ CM - there are a lot more plungers onsite than just the few that hit the forum. And whilst traffic looks on the increase site wide, don't forget how many more pages have been added in the last months, and HP still hasn't got much beyond the traffic it was achieving a couple of years or so back.

So I think there's more in the plunge category than the surge one.

Back to the OP's topic: how are you doing with HPads? (not you CM, I mean folks in general smile)

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My question deleted.

Observation: The answer is that sometimes it takes days for all the adsense results to come floating in.

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol I saw what you'd written originally. HPads have prime position on our hubs. Adsense is positioned badly. So saying that the Adsense revenue has dropped. For me, that's exactly what happened.

Bottom line was this: after the latest ad placement restructuring a few weeks back, the Adsense revenue I was getting post-panda all but died. So I felt forced to use HPads. Then, in comparison to some (I'm using livelonger here as he shared his stats) the revenue HPads generates (for me) still neither match nor exceed Adsense.

As for Adsense taking days to come in - not direct from Adsense. They're fab for the stats side of things. I love how you can see what's doing well, what's not.

@ Simey - I'm happy to hear that you're doing ok out of HPads. I haven't bothered with the Ebay sign-up. As for Amazon, when that kicks in I may well exit.

2. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

frogdropping:

HPads are being really good to me at the moment - I'm probably earning double what I was pre-panda. I'm in a 'surge' mode at the moment, so this could change very quickly!

HP ebay isn't working for me yet - I'm about 50% down on what I earned over the last few months but I guess over time I'll see the 'rate' I earn go up - HP Ads more than makes up for it.

HP Amazon - as most of my sales come from Hubpages then I'm going to benefit from this - probably see an increase of 20% on average.

3. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey I do have HPads you know!

{sighs and slinks back to plunge hole}

14. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years ago

Since I am new to HP, this is very encouraging.  It is good to know that my couple pennies will increase to real numbers that are worth the effort of writing the hubs.  Thank you for sharing the info.

15. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

Intersting figures.  But, 166 hubs over the course of 5 years and this is all that you are earning??

I find it interesting that it takes time to write good articles, yet adding a paragraph of 2 to any recipe that can be copied and pasted, does well.

So apparently, it is not good content that counts, or original content that counts, it is trying to figure out what Google likes, and the right keyword usage that counts. This could also explain why the not good articles and hubs do well.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Curious:  Have you ever said anything positive about Hubpages.com?

16. Time Spiral profile image81
    Time Spiralposted 12 years ago

I'm a little peeved

I implemented the HP AdProgram.

I'm doing okay with that program. I was pretty happy! Then I checked adSense. F-ing LOL!

My adSense pageviews have increased, a decent amount, but my traffic has completely dropped off. Literally, a 94.29% decrease (to be exact) in adSense performance at the same time I'm experiencing an INCREASE in traffic. It's crazy.

I also don't fully understand the HP adProgram either. I thought it was CPM? Some days I will get surges of traffic, much more than usual, and my earnings for that day will be less than some days with less traffic.

It's starting to smell fishy, but I wanted to reach out to the community before I made any moves.

1. wilderness profile image95

No, it's not fishy - every thing you're seeing is expected and normal.

Adsense income decreases drastically because the ad spaces they occupied are now given to HPads.  The only way to actually determine if HPads is a winner for you is to compare the total income (HPads + Adsense) per 1000 views over a month's time.

Your CPM will change daily as advertisers come and go and as what advertisers will pay varies up and down.  When we lost the Drano ads my CPM was cut in half, for instance.

17. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

My traffic as recovered, but my earnings are still low.

18. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

My top traffic/earnings hub is a seasonal hub.  Last year during this season my total pageviews across all hubs at that time topped around 4,000 pageviews in 24 hrs.  This year it got as high as 13,700 views in 24 hrs with this one hub alone counting for 6,100 of them.  My top earnings month was last December.  I just ended October doubling what I had previously made in my top earning month.  I will be one happy camper if November and/or December are anything like October.

19. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

My traffic dropped from 1600 to 700 during Oct 22nd weekend, and is holding there by a thread.  Still, October was my 'bestest' earning month on my first year here on Hubpages... combined earnings from Adsense, HPAds and Amazon = $224.  That's quite amazing for me, considering I earned zero on my first month.

Sound like your doing well! smile I'm trying to hit 500-600 dollars this month November.

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
        Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks, David, and you are doing great. smile

20. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 12 years ago

When you guys speak of your total traffic, are you counting just your impressions or all the impressions (60% of your impressions and 40% of HubPages)????

1. wilderness profile image95

Neither one.  While I will often use HP stats for a 24 hour period, I usually use analytics for anything else.

In very basic terms, HP stats are everything except slide show views (of which I get a lot) while anaytics are the 60% of everything including slide shows. 

At least that's the best I've every come up with to describe what I see in all those numbers.

21. Beth Pipe profile image73
    Beth Pipeposted 12 years ago

It's encouraging to hear.  This is my first full month and I've got 34 cents so far.  I know I've a looooong way to go yet, but I'll get there - everyone has to start somewhere!

22. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

Cool. I do not completely understand the whole earnings end of Hubpages; have not taken enough time to investigate thoroughly. I made a few dollars in several areas last month and in Sept. but apparently not enough to receive pay. Maybe I will learn.
    I have been on eight weeks and love to write; however, being padi would be nice. Good for you.

23. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Hey Dave, the way things are going I should make payout in a week..haven't been able to do a lot on my personal stuff today because I've been designing a webpage for a client...I hate CSS, much prefer the old HTML!

24. Janet21 profile image81
    Janet21posted 12 years ago

My hub traffic was hit with the first Panda update, then traffic spiked up at the end of July.  On Aug 10, it plunged and that is where it is today.  I am getting about 900 visits/day.  At my high, I was getting close to 4K/day.  My earnings have dropped from over 1K a month to about $400 this month.  I would have to go back to Nov 2009 to find earnings lower than what I made here in October. 

Rather than waste more of my time trying to figure out why this has happened, I am taking a break from Hubpages.  I still update hubs when necessary, but I have moved on from HP as far as building any new ones.  I spend my time writing on my blogs and on other platforms that are more profitable for me right now.  For instance, on Squidoo, October was a record earnings month for me. 

On another note, I also think that the plungers are in the majority, but not everyone posts in the forum.

25. HikeGuy profile image70
    HikeGuyposted 12 years ago

Rosie -- Congrats! I'm happy to hear you're doing so well. So good to see happy news.

thanks, HikeGuy!  smile

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94

Yes, well done, Rosie!  smile

Thanks, Paul!  My traffic has recovered too, partly because of my Amazon hubs.  Merry Christmas! smile

26. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

My traffic and earnings have doubled from last Nov.

smile

27. taviasylum profile image59
    taviasylumposted 12 years ago

well done but can you explain it properly?

28. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

I posted a hub last week on my 2011 earnings so far

29. dumindu89 profile image64
    dumindu89posted 12 years ago

Hey.. liverpool nice to hear your achievements.
    I'm bit struggling to get traffic to my hubs. Any suggestions?

30. daisynicolas profile image76
    daisynicolasposted 12 years ago

Aaarrghh...Need help on to even earn a dollar since I don't have any income.  What other techniques do you have besides what has been posted in all the forums and learning center???

I would make sure your Hubs:

- Have search-friendly titles (i.e. what people are actively searching for answers on, not what might appeal to them in a "hmmm...seems interesting, would have never thought about this unless you told me about it" way)

- Have a lot of useful content on each Hub (your own pictures, data tables, etc.). Your Hubs should strive to be better than what Google puts at the top when you google the search term you're targeting.

- Share your Hubs on Facebook and/or Twitter, and maybe add a link in a relevant blog post if you have another blog, from time to time

31. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I think maybe this thread was meant to shed encouragement to new hubbers.

It just makes me feel like shite.
    I am signing off after this, going to my bed, sleeping, and maybe in my dreams I will learn what I did wrong.

I spent two years of my life writing here.

Maybe I'm a crap writer - hey tell me so if I am.

I started on one late last night and it has continued today. I've unpublished all my best hubs now, as well as my hubs that never saw traffic.

Don't listen to me, newbies, there are so many other encouraging hubbers.
    The HP platform is a great idea, and it works well for some.

For others you can find yourself  with an unrealistic expectation.

Treat it as it comes, and good luck smile

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope, you're no crap writer!

I can't claim to understand why you're in a seemingly permanent sandbox - but poor writing and poor subject matter ain't it.

2. David 470 profile image81

Right IzzyM, HubPages is a great platform.

When I firsrt started righting on here (seriously) in 2010, I barely made any traffic/income. I went from a few dollars a month to several hundred.

It took me nearly over a year to get to the level that I am. Some days I think it's hard to believe.

Truth is, I never spoke too much about what I was doing to my family because they woud prob say that it is not possible to make several hundred or more a month online. However, this is not some stupid filling out survey crap -- it's writing content -- writing articles from scratch!! I did not tell anyone because I knew it would take away from my motivation and I would not reach my goals.

If I would of given up after Google Panda (AND i did to some degree), I would of never seen the "true potential" of this site.

More of my family know that I make money here, but prob do not understand it. My Uncle actually recently found out from me and he was quite surprised when I told him I did not even write one article this month and still made money. (my laptop broke -- got a new one now).

I still have a long road ahead of me. I am going to try video editing and other projects most likely in this year 2012.

Honestly, I do not consider myself that great of a writer, just mediocre. I see a lot of typos on my old articles and feel ashamed of them.

I'm not even sure how I have the patience to write. I never read books as a kid -- in fact I disliked the idea. But for some reason, I have something inside me that makes it fairly easy to write. Perhaps it is because I am fairly introverted and things like this do not bore me or make me unmotivated as some people.

While it is possible to make money here on HubPages, you will likely see many failures, but through those failures success may come out somewhere.

I had an article that I NEVER expected to recieve 1000 views daily, and then still over a year later recieve 200+ or so a day.

The best thing I can tell new writers is TO KEEP AT IT! Even if something does not work -- it does not mean that something else won't! Figure out what works for you and expand upon it!

LEARN SEO
      LEARN HOW TO WRITE FOR THE READERS AND SEARCH ENGINES
      STAY PATIENT AND DETERMINED
      EXPERIEMENT!

There is a lot more I would like to say, but this post would be too long....I am done rambling...

3. livelonger profile image86

I agree that you're a talented writer, so that's clearly not it.

It's impossible to know exactly what Google found objectionable (if that's the right word) about your Hubs, but there is a Learning Center entry about this phenomenon:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Subd … of-Traffic

My very personal opinion is that anything that looks like a doorway page (designed to funnel you to another site, the "buy [blank] online" Hubs) is a bit like playing with fire. They can be lucrative if you get good rankings, but they might also piss Google off because they are arguably deceptive, since you don't actually buy anything off a Hub. This is just my impression; I could be wrong. I avoid writing these kinds of Hubs for this very reason.

I never wrote  many of those "buy [blank] online" Hubs. I think many people who write those are trying to make money with Amazon or already are.

I have some old hubs that have a lot of typos, though. Wish it was easier to sort through over 200+ hubs hmm

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that some hubs that I worked hard on were unsuccessful, while the ones that were easier to write were more successful. It's not always like that, however.

32. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Right well this a reply to You David, I need to say that because I have chosen not to quote your long reply.

Somehow or other you hit gold. I am not looking to see because I am  not a thief.

The thieves will look and see what they can emulate.

You say you weren't educated. What would happen the if an educated person came along and chose to re-write your hubs into their words?

Would you know?

This internet stuff is a huge learning curve, and you have to keep one step ahead of all the plagiarists and wannabes.

It's too fast for me. I'm outta here.

Yes, I am just trying to motivate people - perhaps I should not post stuff like this because there are corrupt people out there.

It is not that I am not educated, I graduated High School and took some college classes.

However, I was never "the kid that read books." But whenever I had to write an essay at school I did it with ease. Same with College, essays did not stress me out like it did to some people.

Of course I read books that were required to be read, but other than that I did not read on my own.

Most of my reading I do today is reading articles.

1. IzzyM profile image85

And that is worth stressing to new peeps. You don't need to be a published writer here. Good luck David,long may it continue:)

Thanks, good luck to you in the new year as well. smile

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94

It's strange and disturbing what has happened with you, Izzy.  I hope that 2012 is much better!

1. IzzyM profile image85

Thank you Paul, but I am not holding my breath.

33. freefogging profile image59
    freefoggingposted 12 years ago

I haven't earned a cent here at Hubpages, but I think I am doing something wrong. I am going to start studying others hubs that are the high earners and figure out that way what I am doing wrong. I write on Helium also , but I know that I can make more here at Hubpages if I can get the hang of what I need to change to make more money.

1. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know it is an odd question but have you signed up to the HubPages earning programme and/or Adsense?

Even if you struggled to make money with adsense I would have thought you would have earned at least a few cents with the HubPages ads. programme since it started.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

freefogging, If I remember correctly, I wasn't able to get my Adsense active until I added a avatar on my profile. 

Add the avatar, and check your Account tab, click on my earnings, then settings.  They should say "active" for the ones you are participating in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)