Is it narcissistic to follow yourself?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (47 posts)
  1. davenmidtown profile image69
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

Accidentally or as a quirk of purpose, hubpages has afforded us the ability to follow ourselves.  Whether we choose to follow ourselves or not is not really the question here.  The question is more about the motivation behind the action.  Do we follow ourselves out of narcissism, fun, or just because we may be lost?

1. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd follow myself if I were interesting and wrote good...

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here. lol

davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't follow myself... have you seen my from behind!  ahahhahaha

1. Xenonlit profile image60
            Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sknorxx!

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

Maybe neither. Some people may do this for practical reasons, namely to receive the same notifications their followers will receive. If a notification is not being sent, the Hubber will learn about it sooner.

You continue to amaze me. HP really does need to put you on the payroll. They could do it on a part-time, consultancy basis and not have to mess around with the taxes or paperwork. Just a thought.

3. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

i had no idea,.... i have to follow myself now! ha!

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

And now I have to go follow myself, but that's OK. I'm used to running around in circles. big_smile

[edit: Done!]

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

Interesting. According to my profile, I am following myself twice. Am I awesome or what!?! Do others see two entries as well? I'm curious.

6. davenmidtown profile image69

paradigmsearch... maybe it is more algebraic ... and two negatives make a positive????

7. davenmidtown profile image69

or two positives are still positive.... hmmm

8. paradigmsearch profile image60

We could even nuance this some more.

How many entries to my followers see?

How many entries do my non-followers see?

9. davenmidtown profile image69

a ratio approach to stardom?  perhaps an audit of the top hubbers is in order... ... hmmm what if you had so many multiple accounts that you could impact the results of your hubs all by yourself... or even your ad revenue... hmmmm would people really do that?  how would we know???

10. davenmidtown profile image69

paradigmsearch .... 326 followers... that is what I see...

Do you see this statement once or twice on my profile page:

"paradigmsearch is now following you"

?

I'm really curious. Who sees one entry and who sees two?

Due to my blatherings, the entries are now on the second page.

11. davenmidtown profile image69

although on your profile it lists 326 followers... on the information under you name it only lists 324 followers.

Thanks!!! I hadn't noticed that!

Tis curious...

The next experiment is what happens when I un-follow myself. lol

12. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

To un-follow oneself over a minor domestic dispute, I'd call that egocentric.

Talk about timing! Your response is above my reply. lol

2. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Funny big_smile

13. davenmidtown profile image69

you become a denser version of yourself since you are no longer spread so thin???

14. davenmidtown profile image69

one entry of you following yourself???

You see one. I see two. That makes sense. I'm seeing what others see and it is then being reported back to me as to what others see.

15. davenmidtown profile image69

I went through all 17 pages of your followers and only saw that you were following yourself once... so I think you are actually following yourself 3 times and it only appears on your physical list of followers once... which would make the difference 324 (includeing 1 following of yourself) - 326 total followers = 2 so.... 1+ 2 =3.... you have followed yourself so many times that you lost track of who is leading!

I have no choice but to agree. I hope I don't initiate a recursion syndrome, crashing the HP servers in the process. Maybe I should give ehow(sucks) my regards...

16. davenmidtown profile image69

I don't think the blame can be laid solely at your feet... many people follow themselves.. which is why I wrote this forum...  Besides you can always blame your better half and plead for mercy based on the good parts of you...

17. davenmidtown profile image69

great... implement me in this by following me... lol... Hahahahahahahah

You are doomed!lol

18. davenmidtown profile image69

what is interesting... that my profile says I have 226 followers but the info under my name and hubs says only 225... and I am not following myself.

Actually, that second one takes awhile to catch up. All is ok.

I will unfollow myself in another few minutes. It will be interesting to see what happens, re: my profile score and everything else. big_smile

19. davenmidtown profile image69

make you unfollow one of the followers of yourself and not you the leader...

20. paradigmsearch profile image60

Here we go. Follower count is 326 before un-follow. Profile is 95.

21. davenmidtown profile image69

and 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ACTION:...

22. paradigmsearch profile image60

Unfollowed.

Count dropped by one, not two. Turns out I got another real follower while we were having this adventure. So followers 325, and the one that catches up later is still at 324. All is well. big_smile

23. paradigmsearch profile image60

Forum still at 326.

[edit: Which is also normal. I've seen that delay before.]

24. davenmidtown profile image69

Four- Outside interference in technical research.  Penalty... declined!

25. davenmidtown profile image69

I don't know what all that means... but I heard it once on a TV as I was walking by.

26. davenmidtown profile image69

oh... and there is the culprit... its Daniella.... we forgive her

27. paradigmsearch profile image60

And both of these disappeared, not just one or none.

"paradigmsearch is now following you"

28. davenmidtown profile image69

still no change

davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well.. the two sources that indicate the number of followers you have are identical and your hub-score has increased by one digit.

big_smile

29. davenmidtown profile image69

Calm down they have not added up your delay of game penalty yet

30. davenmidtown profile image69

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)