After recent surgery, I humbly come to the HubPages community for aid

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

I have only alluded to it in the past, but I have been struggling with a cancer diagnosis for a few years. I went through chemo and was considered to be in remission. After a few chest x-rays, PET scans, and all that good stuff my oncologist became concerned and ordered surgery and a biopsy doing to some concerning growths.

So, being a good patient, I went under the knife (ouch, by the way)it turns out that everything was fine: the growths were benign and the spots were just oversized bloodvessels.

Unfortunately, since I am a freelancer, my only insurance was the state cancer program which has refused to cover my recent surgeries and the follow ups because it was not diagnosed as a cancer.  I am still paying off my initial surgery in NYC from two years ago, and the multiple thousand dollar bill is well past due and things are looking grim.

To top off a rather pathetic tale of woe, I was recently the victim of identity theft. Some random criminal somehow managed to use my information to make very large purchases at a WalMart in Texas and a truly baffling two dollar purchase at a vending machine in PA. The charges will be returned to me but it has left me with negative money for the next few days as well.

I do not come to it lightly because I feel like I have been pretty deatched in my "HubPages" life and my personal life, but the situation is looking a bit dire.

I am asking for help from the community to get my (what I once thought were insured) medical costs under control. And although I come here asking for assistance, I also understand there is no such thing as a free lunch. Anyone who donates and needs help editing, finding natural keyword phrases, etc has it. I also have a few personal domains from which I can provide backlinks. For particularly generous donations, I will ghostwrite a Hub or article on your personal site on any topic you want. You can see from my profile page that I get above average traffic and have earned a fair amount off of Amazon at times.

Anyone kindhearted enough to help can do so through <self-promotion is not permitted in the forums>

I understand if anyone finds this distasteful and wants to complain to a HP authority. Truthfully, I find it sad myself. But we are all dealt and have to do what we can.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations on being cancer free.

Would love to help but I'm unemployed at the moment. I am lucky, living in Canada when I was diagnosed with cancer I got all the tests and treatments covered under national health care and supplemental work insurance. I'm sure something will come up...Hubbers are a good lot...

And I can sympathize with the identity theft. Last Christmas someone got my credit card number. It didn't cost me anything I got it all back, but it took months and months and me having to cancel my credit card account completely to clear it up. The death penalty is not severe enough for these "people."

2. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 12 years ago

I pray you stay healthy and overcome your financial difficulty.

3. Len Cannon profile image87

To the kind Australian gentlewomen who just provided me with a very welcome blessing, if you need any help with your hubs anything else you think I can provide, send me a message any time.

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

I feel your pain. I have nothing. I can give nothing but encouragement, however, that encouragement I give whole heartedly. I hope someone who can help will help meet your needs.

If I hit the lottery, you'll be the first person I think of.

Keep your chin up.

5. SiddSingh profile image61
    SiddSinghposted 12 years ago

I hope and pray you come out of this crisis better and stronger.

6. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Len my heart goes out to you as this must have been so hard for you to do.  Unfortunately, my cupboard is rather threadbare at the moment, but I hope that an angel comes by to help you on your way.

7. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years ago

I don't mean this to sound .....I can't think of the right word, but.....like something people just say all the time and don't really mean....

I am so happy to hear the good news in this!!! The growths were BENIGN!!
    smile

It is also good news that you will be refunded the stolen money, it's more of an inconvenience then a complete loss.

As far as bills and negative money, I have been there many times. It can cause you to loose weight, sleep, and sanity. Is there any chance of speaking with the hospital and working out some sort of payment plan? I was able to pay off the birth of my first daughter slowly, sure another bill stinks but I never got sued or anything.

I hope someone can financially help you.

I hope money worries don't overshadow the fact that your getting well. Having been there many times myself, I can tell you it does get better and the best thing you can do to keep from depression is focus on what you have that is good. Sometimes there are things we simply can not change and just have to wait them out. I wish you the best of luck and better times soon. And again, congrats on the continuing remission.

8. Len Cannon profile image87

You have a really good way of putting things into perspective. Thank you.

9. grinnin1 profile image69
    grinnin1posted 12 years ago

It takes guts to go humbly before a forum of people and tell your story. I'm sorry for all that you have been through. I have been there and it is dreadful. I also know any little bit helps so I will send a little because that's all I've got at the moment. Let me know where. I will pray for you as well.

10. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Len,

First of all, no offense taken by your humble plea.  You've been a vital and important part of this community for a long time now.

Having been in a similar situation as a result of my son's devastating eye condition, Coates Disease, I feel your pain.  We crawled and clawed our way out of that hole finally, but it was miserable.

I'd like to help.  We had help and I would like to give back.

I will turn my contact me button back on my profile so you can email me...

Sorry for what you're going through...

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
      wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what the dealio is, but I'm unable to reenable my "contact me" button.  As such, I've emailed you...

Talk soon.

11. Len Cannon profile image87

No, I appreciate it but if HubPages thinks what I did was inappropriate I will let it drop. I appreciate the kind words and I'll let it drop. If ya'll want to have some cancer/insurance chat though, let it rip.

It sucked because my original (emergency) surgery wasn't covered but Iw as able to get all of my chemo, blood tests, CAT scans and all that covered but apparently if it couldn't be put under my cancer diagnosis medical code it won't be covered. I can't complain too much because i am very fortunate to have had it covered in the first place, but having a multi-thousand dollar operation suddenly not be covered anymore was pretty jarring.

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
      wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Len, I imagine they'd close the entire thread if they felt it was inappropriate.  I believe they only had issue with the inclusion of your PayPal address, which they snipped.  Don't let it drop...  I'd like help and I'd like to help you.  Win win, I say.

12. quotations profile image87
    quotationsposted 12 years ago

I read your article and am sorry to hear about your medical troubles. As a cancer survivor myself, I know what you are going through - though medical bills were not one of my problems thanks Canada's excellent free medical system.

If I read your post correctly, you may be interested in writing an article or two or offering backlinks in exchange for a donation. Please let me know what your "rates" would be.

I may be interested in commissioning some articles for some sites I run outside of hubpages. I am impressed by the number of views you have received and I guess you must know what you are doing smile

If you are interested please contact me through hubpages using the contact button on my profile.

13. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this, that is awful. There is no reason you should be in this situation.

What is a good article or link that I can post on google+ for you? Because that is about all I can do.

14. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

Great idea Mikey - we can help promote his work or other causes. Let me know - we are here to help.

15. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 12 years ago

Len - I'm sorry to hear about your woes and can completely relate. I had insurance when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and it covered a good portion, but I was left with thousands and thousands in out of pocket costs from treatment and surgeries over a two year period. I am still paying toward that - what's good about medical bills though is that as long as you're paying something, it can't hurt your credit. Sometimes I pay $5 a month if I can't swing more than that. Needless to say, I'm not in a position to help out (could use help myself!) but my thoughts are with you and your plight and I hope that helps even the tiniest little bit.

I've also been the victim of fraud - three times in the last couple of years! Thankfully, like you, in the end I was not responsible for the charges, but it it scary and a huge inconvenience!

Congratulations on being cancer free, by the way! I am too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)