"Marriage is a thing of the past" - Why do you agree or disagree?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. ThunderKeys profile image63
    ThunderKeysposted 12 years ago

In recent major survey, 40% of US adults and 50% of young Americans agreed with the statement: "Marriage is a thing of the past".

Do you agree or disagree with this statement about the institution of marriage? What are your top reasons?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that is just perception/views about marriage, people in fact still marry and remarry after divorce. There are advantages of being married - health, financial and emotional security.

I would like to marry somebody in the future.

http://   prettydarkhorse.hubpages.com/hub/What-are-the-benefits-we-can-get-from-being-married

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Marriage has evolved beyond the simplistic ideology that which is based on religion.

Many people have realized that "marriage" or "being married" isn't an actual requirement for happiness and it's not.

3. Modern Greetings profile image57
    Modern Greetingsposted 12 years ago

Cagsil got it right; A lot of people are realizing that you don't need to be married to be happy with the person you're with.

I've been with my fiance for over eight years now, and neither of us are in a big rush to get married. Why?

1. Since we're just out of college, we're not yet financially stable and therefore can't even afford a wedding.

2. We're content with our relationship. We don't need a marriage license and ceremony to prove we're in love.

My concern with the state of marriage, at least in regards to the thoughts of the younger crowd, is that it's no longer a sacred vow but something more akin to getting your driver's license.

Ok. I graduated highschool now I go to college. Ok, I'm  out of college now I get a good job. Ok, I have a good job, time to settle down. Ok, I've settled down, time to get married.

Romantic, eh?

4. ThunderKeys profile image63
    ThunderKeysposted 12 years ago

Thank you for the great responses Cagsil and Modern Greetings.

What about all the recent research that talks about how formal marriage status actually protects men, woman and kids from developing serious physical, mental and economic health problems?

If the formal institution of marriage is so protective, shouldn't we protect marriage itself?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile
      Protects? I'm sure there are some physical, mental(emotional too) and economic health related things that could be a benefit. However, does it actually outweigh that which is also destructive from being married? Who can really determine that, considering every relationship, even on an individual friendship level is different and none are ever the same.
      Marriage has evolved as I said before and should be the right of every individual on the planet. It will remain in place as an option, but even for children, a father is still a father and a mother is still a mother, even without marriage.

ThunderKeysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're right Cagsil, it's not about protecting marriage, but "healthy marriage".

Part of why I asked these questions, is because from what I can tell of the research, a healthy marriage is very protective. That's my assumption or belief right now. So I'm asking to learn from others if my assumption is correct.

2. livelonger profile image85
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should tell that to the right-wing Christianists whose idea of protecting marriage means excluding people who want to get married.

When "protecting marriage" has come to mean legislating bigotry, then the number of people who really want the institution strengthened is much smaller than most people think.

I don't have to tell anyone anything. This thread is just about agreeing or disagreeing with the statement, why or why not. 

Cagsil reminded me that what I'm interested in exploring is the extent to which healthy marriage is protective and should be protected and actively promoted so that people can benefit from it or not.

1. livelonger profile image85
          livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a figure of speech. My point is that you have a significant (and growing) segment of the population that think that marriage is outmoded. You have a significant (and, admittedly, declining) segment, probably with relatively little overlap, that think protecting marriage means limiting it to straight couples.

So, if you want just an answer to your question and little tangential discussion, you might consider asking it in the Answers section of the site.

I think marriage is protective in many different ways (legally and emotionally) and thus should be protected. Part of that protection involves getting as many people as possible who are willing to undertake its commitments access to it. That includes gay and lesbian couples.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Link? Because marriage is clear in full existence in the present and longevity of marriage is actually going up.

Hi Psycheskinner! Welcome to another thread.

If you don't mind, Lets start with your response to my presenting question. Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?

I would clarify that I'm asking about an emotionally healthy marriage.

I'd also love to read your response to my earlier forum question about bullying/mobbing, given your behavioral psychology background.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Stable social attachment and support is healthy.  For some this is in the form of marriage.

Psycheskinner, you are one smart cookie!

2. ThunderKeys profile image63

Does marriage increase the chances of stable social attachment and support, in keeping with the research? For example the many disadvantages to children of married vs cohabiting parents?

http://www.virginia.edu/marriageproject … ummary.pdf

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image61
        Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would want to see those suggested disadvantages quantified.  I am not sure whether it matters how the commitment is formalized so long as it is harmonious and committed. Also some people find that social support in family, friends, a religious order or some other community.

I have a great link posted above for Psycheskinner. Let me know what you think. In the meantime, I'm going to read your Hub on Orbs......

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59
            Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid I'd have to be presented with other evidence, before drawing a conclusion.

7. shea duane profile image60
    shea duaneposted 12 years ago

I don't know the statistics... but I know one thing for sure... if you marry the wrong person, marriage is terrible. BUT if you are lucky enough, as I am, to marry the right person (and for me it was luck), marriage is the greatest thing that could happen. I know a lot of people who have children together and live together on and off who are not married... some have happy, healthy children. Others have children who seem to feel insecure or unimportant. (I'm not a child psychologist, I admit.) I just hope that if parents decide not to marry, they find a way to let their children know that the decision is in no way a reflection on their importance in the lives of their parents.

Hi Shea Duane. It's so nice to hear that you are happily married.

I agree, that the harm done to children of divorced can be reduced through proper communication with all involved. Proper co-parenting plans and supportive counseling can help too.

Serious mental illness supposedly happens in a small % of the population compared to the 50% divorce rate and over 50% marital infidelity rate.

In most divorces, I wonder if it's a lack of relationship skills (i.e. communication, shared problem solving etc.) that's the major problem or challenge.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)