Why do people ask silly questions just to ask?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (105 posts)
  1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image59
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5732933_f248.jpg
    I have noticed that the forums have been flooded with God, and the proof if there is one or not. Why do you think people ask questions that they really don't believe in. Why do you think they just randomly pick the topic about creation, God. Then they leave some pretty negative comments. Why do you think people act this way?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because people are drawn to Him, whether they wanna be or not.

Love that picture, by the way! smile

1. WD Curry 111 profile image60
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What more can you say?

2. jacharless profile image73
        jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

moths to a flame, love...moths to a flame.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Indeed. smile

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
          Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Moths to a flame? Thats a disgusting analogy. I suppose it is fairly apt though since all people will burn in hell......

1. jacharless profile image73
            jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

bugger me...

what people? what hell? what religion are YOU indoctrinated into.

lol

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think everyone grows at their own rate.  People may start with a silly question then actually learn something.  IMO seekers make up the majority of world population even among those professing to follow a specific religion.  That's why there is so much controversy.  Those who do not question authority or standards are either like cattle or they have a wonderful understanding of who and where they want to be.

But silly may be in the mind of the viewer.  The seeker wants real answers.

3. KellyPittman profile image78
      KellyPittmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed this too and it makes me sad.  I do agree with Brenda, Toby, and Ms Dee that maybe these people who open up the debate are really just hoping to find the "proof" they've been asking for.  - I do believe in God, by the way.  I don't have a 1000 words to try to convince anyone else. For me, the proof is US.  I also believe Science only proves HOW God did it.  - Oh here's a story my Daddy told me.  "Scientist decided that they now could create life on their own just like God did and no longer needed Him. So they went to Him and said, "God, Sorry, we don't need you anymore.  God said, "Okay, show me what you can do".  So they bent down and starting raking the dirt into test tubes and God interupted.  "Excuse me, Use your own dirt"   I thought it was cute.  smile  Y'all have a good day!

You cheered me up.

2. autumn18 profile image58
        autumn18posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kelly. Maybe some people are hoping to find proof but I wanted to bring up another possibility. For myself, I'm not looking for proof. In fact I don't think it's something that has proof and that's OK. Some people feel compelled to ask questions about things that don't make sense to them.

4. Jesus was a hippy profile image60

I question religion because it is the cause of many wars, many deaths and much violence.

People accepting that it is ok to believe in things without evidence leave the path totally clear for crazy people to believe that they have to kill in the name of whoever or they need to kill in order to go to some magical place when they die.

Faith is NOT a virtue and belief without evidence is foolish that causes many problems that this world coul do without.

5. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, believers are pretty serious about their sky fairies and get angry when their invisible friends are mocked or criticized, so they leave negative comments and act atrociously.

1. emrldphx profile image60
        emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and unfortunately, some people get offended by people 'shoving their beliefs' down their throats when they log into religious discussion forums.

Certainly, one who didn't want beliefs shoved down their throat would choose to be active in religious forums... that makes a lot of sense.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Remember Emrld, this is a writers site more than it is about the forums usage. The religion and philosophy threads are not restricted to those who are religious, but are for everyone. wink

No, I definitely understand that. It's just interesting when someone claims to hate hearing people's religious beliefs, yet they spend so much time in a religious forum... it's a bit of a masochistic view, imo.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

Aww, feeling the need to put words in my mouth to support your dishonesty? Filling these forums with fallacies getting boring because others call you on them?  lol

No, you said those words to me before. I would go get them and quote them, but every time I quote you contradicting yourself you just ignore it. So, there's no point.

lol

Do you need reminding of the fact that you ignore when your contradictions are pointed out?

2. WD Curry 111 profile image60

Someone needs to do it. The words that are coming out are garbage. You have no right on the forums until you write a hub or two. Go away and come back when you are finished. I hate it when there is work to be done, but some jerk just wants to hang around the water cooler talking smack. I don't tolerate slackers in my shop.

Much better to pretend to hear the words you want to hear?

Really? You are the authority of who gets rights and who doesn't? lol

LOL! Good thing I have a thicker skin than you believers or I might just report the personal insults. lol

That's not an insult, its an observation. You are in extreme denial of the fact.

2. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know, its one thing to have a discussion where all parties respect the others. It's another to attempt to have a discussion and one particular group insists they have a monopoly on the concept to such an extent that any who don't agree will suffer for eternity for the audacity of having a difference of opinion.

There are quite a few who still enjoy the exchange, even if they do grow tired of those who think it's their  duty and right to  attempt to force their beliefs. I would think you might understand this. You appear to attempt to be open minded.

I enjoy discussing, I just have no respect for Troubled, who mocks people while pretending to be offended by them stating their beliefs.

I have respect for everybody's opinions. I don't have respect for people who demean others.

1. profile image0

Ok. So some here do appear to be completely clueless when it comes to spiritual topics. I still respect their right to choose to be here and weigh in with their opinion. Certain styles of non belief may degrade wide swaths of people in the process of sharing them, but many times so does belief, no matter how sickeningly sweet the believer pretends to be while sharing it.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60

I personally think that the most clueless people when it comes to spirituality are the people who believe it exists.

1. profile image0

Oh, there's one of the clueless ones now. That was cute. Say it again. You guys who can't understand the dialogue keep me in stitches. smile

Haha, and theres the insult. I knew one was coming pretty soon. You guys are so predictable.

2. Repairguy47 profile image59
                  Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Spirituality doesn't exist?

cool

2. Cagsil profile image70

Spirituality is solely based on mystic ideologies, which form mysticism. Mysticism is intellectually dishonest and was deemed that over 40 years ago. wink

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

LOL! The believer believes their beliefs are respectful and don't demean others. Classic stuff! lol

3. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image59
              Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@emrldphx,

That is why he is *troubled*. We should try not to get upset with him but state truth and pray for the soul! smile

I know... but it's so fun smile

@ emrldphx, it may be *fun* but it doesn't set a *good example* dear one!
                  hugs! smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

Aww, you also felt the need to insult me personally simply because your delicate belief system is undergoing scrutiny. lol

3. A Troubled Man profile image57

LOL! It's hilarious you actually believe it has anything to do with logging into religious discussion forums. lol

6. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe in God and God believes in me.

I just don't believe in dogma because dogma does not believe in me.

Mahatma Ghandi once said "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

How do you know god believes in you? Have you met him? That would be awesome.

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image59

@ Xenonlit, I love Ghandi. He was a wise and wonderful spiritual man. Some believe that Ghandi was God coming back to earth. go figure!

7. Don W profile image81
      Don Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The fact that the subject happens to be god is irrelevant. If the subject was politics it would be the same (head to the politics section to see what I mean). Could even be sport. Really doesn't matter. In the environments we have developed in, it's advantageous that we compete with others. So we do. Even though in developed societies this is physically unnecessary (we don't have to fight for food) the imperative remains and is therefore expressed intellectually through the various social layers. Religion and politics are two such layers. Physical competition still occurs, either through sport which is essentially pseudo-fighting, or through real fighting commonly known as war. The latter is usually filtered through social layers as well, which leads people to believe that wars are caused by politics, religion etc. which is not the case. Wars are caused by the same thing that causes people to leave negative comments for those who have a different world-view. 

It's the imperative to identify yourself with a group, then identify 'others' who are part of a different group, then compete with them. That is a fundamental human behaviour. Sometimes the distinction is religion, sometimes politics, sometimes race, sometimes gender, sometimes nationality etc. Usually those making the distinctions always believe they have a perfectly good reason for doing so. If such behaviour couldn't be rationalised, a person would be faced with the prospect that their behaviour is biologically determined, rather than something they control. Not a comfortable prospect for self-aware creatures like us.

So those people who enter religious forums and leave negative comments might have you believe it's because they want to rid the world of the harmful effects of religion through ridicule (a good cause as they see it). The belief in the worthiness of the behaviour may be genuine. But in actuality they are behaving in a way that is biologically determined and their good cause is simply a rationalisation that insulates them from an uncomfortable truth: that all major distinctions between human beings are superficial and artificial. That essentially they are no different than the people in the group they work hard at distinguish themselves from. This is very uncomfortable in the face of human nature as is, because it flies in the face of the natural tendency to believe 'we' are different (better) than the 'them'.

8. pastorjerryl profile image60
      pastorjerrylposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To Jo's original questions:
      1. Questions starting with "why," whether addressed to God or man, almost never seek information, but are the initial start to a bargaining session.
      2. You don't have to be in ministry long before you start running into atheists. They think their comments are creative and original, but usually boil down to the same two general situations: they're mad at God (I prayed that God would heal Grandma, but she died anyway) or they're mad at the church (You're not gonna make me believe that crap).
      3. They start out talking about the non-existence of God and immediately switch over to abuses by the church (That's two different topics, Tonto. That ain't gonna fly here.)
      4. Atheists have a lot at stake here: No God --> No Law --> No Penalty, even though every other choice in life has consequences Yeah, but this is different. Really. I hope. Kinda.
      5. They cap it off by saying that we can't prove that God exists. Nobody can prove that love exists either, but a lot of atheists are looking for it. What is this- selective disbelief? Hmmmm. Please let me in on the secret.
      6. I'll save the rest for a real post later.

@ pastorjerryl, well you have said it in a nutshell. Thank you so much for sharing. I actually learned something from you! smile Blessings & hugs! smile

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I proved it. smile

To you that is. To many others, you've proved nothing.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
            Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True.
            Also true. To many thier personal biased opinion proves it proves nothing. But they fail to prove thier stance with anything other than thier biased personal opinion... hmm

But to many others I have proven it. "technically true and true are technically...the same thing." ....and everything in the proof is true. smile

And, the only thing the above post proves is that stupidity is just another extension of ignorance. lol

And to quote you- "thank for playing". lol

9. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They should ask valid questions; the Creator God by definition is the Being on His own; so it is invalid question to ask who created Him.

Exactly!

2. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

Brenda's right.  Reminds me of two men arguing about the existence of God.  One claims to be an atheist.  The second claims there's no true atheist as we're all drawn toward God whereby the first man avers, "I am an atheist.  Swear to God I am!"

3. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 12 years ago

Even those who say they ask such questions just to get a debate going...because they are bored I think down deep fit what Brenda is saying. They often don't even realize they are being drawn to Him and would call such a notion "hogwash". wink That's an amazing photo, Jo!

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I figured, before I posted, that the obvious would be more than obvious, but I guess not.

Why ask why?

Why ask questions?

People usually ask questions to get answers to those questions. roll

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WITCH!!!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  .....mornin'

2. Cagsil profile image70

Are you describing yourself or your wife? I'm not sure exactly, so you're going to need to clarify. lol

shame

What do you have to be ashamed? lol

My fellow Hubbers, at times

Interesting.....and how can you let that happen? lol

it's a free country

Good to know.

3. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image59

@ greek one, *witch*? is that really necessary? I know you are better than that! smile

5. profile image0
    Eddie-Perkinsposted 12 years ago

I’ve wondered the same thing. The only answer I could think of to gain hub page credit for asking answering questions, commenting on the forums and generally being considered part of the community regardless if it is positive or beneficial to the community.

6. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

Nice thread Jo. smile

Thank you! Good to see you! blessings & hugs! smile

7. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

sometimes things that are silly to you might be pertinent to others

@ prettydarkhorse, it is so good to hear from you! I hope you are doing well! smile  See, I asked this question b/c of all the negative comments about God and the belief about God. Some say they believe in nothing. Then if this is the case, then why ask a question "How can a christian prove that there is a God"? I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. I just can't wrap my mind around some of the comments that folks leave about God is all. To me, it is silly, but I apologize if I am coming across with any disrespect for the person to believe in what ever they choose not to believe in. smile Take care!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)