Selfish People

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Mike Bigioniposted 12 years ago

Getting tired of the people who walk through life with this sense of entitlement. They think the world owes them a favour. I'm sick of doing things for people who show no appreciation and give no effort, but I haven't stopped yet. Why do I keep working hard and sacrificing so other people have an easier life? I need to get my head checked. Anyone else as dumb as I am?

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps it would help to stop and think for a long moment about those who gave selflessly to you:  their time, their patience, their wisdom, and yes, their money.  No one makes it completely on their own.  Many people seem to think they have succeeded solely of their own talent and volition, without the help of teachers, parents, and others, not to mention a societal structure that allowed them to be housed, fed, and educated at a standard higher than most of the rest of the world.

2. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 12 years ago

Maybe because you know it is vain foolishness to just live a life for the love of wealth and money? It is not what truly satisfies. Such vanity turns out to be of little worth. It is sad to see those seeking to acquire only things that lack eternal purpose or value, as it is empty in its power to provide true happiness. After giving yourself a break, Mike, from the foolish and their demands, I hope you will see the wisdom of your values for hard work and sacrifice for others, which is far more satisfying. (Ecclesiastes 4:10)

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You bring religion into a political and social issue thread. roll

Are you completely out in left field somewhere? hmm

Selfishness isn't limited to money or wealth even. So drop the self-righteous attitude. WOW!

@OP- The idea of entitlements is completely skewed. There seems to be a lot of people who think they are entitled to things which they are clearly not entitled to begin with. It's getting beyond absurd.

I wrote a hub- How Can Equality Survive In Capitalism and it clearly states what equality means versus entitlements.

There are too many government programs handing out entitlements for absolutely no reason when the problems can be addressed in a different manner. That different manner is the problem though. Why? Because it leads to educated people who are informed enough and aware enough to see through the political and religious BS influences.

When people are truly informed and educated, then they are much harder to control and/or govern.

1. Topnewhottoys profile image59
        Topnewhottoysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WRONG! Of course there is a perfectly GOOD reason - it buys votes - which means reelection - which means retention of power.

But if we could get rid of our apathy, and become more of what your last statement says we should be - then things will change. Until then "Freebies" trumps personal responsibility every time.

GA

3. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 12 years ago

I recently had occasion to transfer a sum of money to Malaysia. Because of an error in the beneficiary details, the money was refunded to my account, minus 1,500 Riyals - that's US$ 408. HSBC consider themselves entitled to withhold that sum even though the entire transaction was electronic with no human intervention.

So yes, I'm also heartily sick of these big banks that feel entitled to steal our money from us. What makes it worse is they have the law on their side, or in their pockets, more like.

What, that's not the sort of entitlement mentality you were referring to?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The big banks do have an incredibly high sense of entitlement. I avoid them wherever possible.

1. Paraglider profile image89
        Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, here in the Gulf, I have no choice. The OP, of course was moaning about the welfare state. But the far greater rip-off is by the corporations and big banks.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The corporations etc. have developed a welfare state all of their own. We are the cash strapped treasury dept.

We, the 99%, yes.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
          Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

According to George Romney, "Corporations are people, too!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2h8ujX6T0A

There are no bounds to the sophistry of the elite!

4. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

Perhaps it would be more beneficial to get ourselves out of negative situations and surround ourselves with positive ones. I've had to learn myself to cut the dead wood from my life, so to speak like pruning bushes. If those selfish people, banks etc, are not in my reality and I don't participate, or intermingle with them, they can never bother me. smile

5. wanzulfikri profile image61
    wanzulfikriposted 12 years ago

You just have to pick the ones you like and enjoy being with them. Anyhow, people you dislike will come now and then but just take it as a challenge.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)