"Sioux" religion and the concept of Wankan-tanka

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

One of our posters here WD Curry 111 has informed while commenting on my hub “Denial of the Creator is a made up delusion of the Skeptics”:

“The Sioux religion was outlawed in this land of freedom of religion. The name Siuox means "human being". Their oral tradition insists that God created them to live on the Great Plains of the American west. They believe they are a remnant that will survive and flourish again. They can be formidable enemies. They have no fear of death. They see it as a door to a better place. They never knew of Mohammed or Jesus of Nazareth. They only knew the "Great Spirit", creator of the universe. I think you know Wankan-tanka as Allah.
    On "Proof Positive of Noah's Flood" (you know where to find it) there is a link for Native American lore, if you want to go to the trouble. I have it set on the Pima tribe, so you will have to look for the Sioux.”

Any Sioux or believer of Wankan-Tanka here.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it's "Wakan Tanka"

Considering that Lakota spirituality is NOT monotheistic but refers to an 'organization of sacred entities', you don't really have an argument.

2. profile image52

@WD Curry 111

Thanks for the information; this is first time I had learnt it. I would have been more happy if a written Word, in pristine form and in the orginal language, whatever, with a translation of it would have been availabe.

I think  Sioux  believe in ONE Creator God by the name Wakan-Tanka.

The Sioux  believe, as WD Curry 111, informs us that humans have soul which is different from the body though within it.

The Sioux   believe in hereafter.

The Sioux  believe that Word from Wakan-Tanka was relieved on some righteous person.

So it is about the same as Islam

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, it is the exact same religion as Islam

In fact, the Sioux were known for the mosques they built

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But they were portable. Had to follow the buffalo.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
          MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm pretty sure the Sioux religion is not monotheistic, nor (in my understanding) do they have a concept equivalent to the "Word." 

I've also heard it claimed (though I can't vouch for the accuracy, not being Sioux myself) that Wakan Tanka does not refer to a single entity at all, but rather to the collective holiness ("wakan") that is found in everything - animate and inanimate alike.

You gotta do your research...

Jesus traveled to America shortly after he left India.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

....yes, but directly to Van. Island because that's where the really, really, really good folks are...

...mornin' GO...guess you're gonna have to move to lala land...and get out of the centre of the universe......

why is that?  Has hell frozen over??

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
              SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...no.............not for awhile....a few years anyway....

http://bite-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/torontosun.jpg

ah yes.. the Toronto Sun... never given to exaggeration to sell a few papers smile

2. kerryg profile image83

Don't the Mormons think the native tribes of America are descended from the 10 lost tribes of Israel?

yes.. Mormons are clearly a branch of Islam

2. habee profile image93

Yes, through Joseph and Manasseh. Some researchers claim DNA connections between the Cherokee and Jews.

1. kerryg profile image83

Interesting! Do you know if they've accounted for the possibility of inter-marriage between the Cherokee and early Jewish settlers to the US? (They're widely overlooked, but there were some.)

I've heard a claim (though I don't know how accurate) that the European Basque language is unrelated to every other known language in existence... except for one spoken by a Pacific Northwest Indian tribe. The implications of that would be awfully interesting if it's true.

1. habee profile image93

I don't know, Kerry, but it is food for thought! Think I'll do some more research. That would make a good hub.

3. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting subject.  It's probably safe to say that all of the original native north americans followed the thinking that there is one great spirit. 

When the trappers and traders came and began to invade their territory, many tribes, including Sioux, began to steal horses from the white hunters.  I won't get into who started what, but this is how the Plains Indians came about.  They were not a tribe at all but a conglomerate of tribes, all of whom met in the plains, all the fighters and renegades.  They were able to do this because of the horses.  Those who were not fighters had to go along or be destroyed, either by savagery or through lack of agrarian resources, which were also destroyed, not by the whites but by savage natives.  They weren't called red savages for no reason.

The Sioux were among the most savage of tribes.  They were scalpers and thieves and were notorious for invading, killing and stealing from other tribes.  Hmmm...brings to mind another group of terrorists.

And don't bring up the argument that America started the colonialism.  There was no America then.  The early white hunters were French and Dutch.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
        DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like the Israelites of the bible as well. And sounds like the Catholic church of the 11th-13th century as well.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any terrorists will do.  I guess the point was all is not always as it seems in the world of IT

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
            DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ain't that the truth.

3. profile image52

I did know about them until WD Curry 111  wrote on my hub.

1. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am an open mind; I thought I should start a thread so that we know about the Sioux from somebody who is a  Sioux himself.

Is there any?

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could you show us that sometime, please, I for one have never seen it.

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Religious wars in native America...

Sioux attack first portable mosque built by Jesus after he told them to wear Mormon underwear

http://americangallery.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/small_bison-hunting.jpg?w=599&h=425&h=425

5. profile image52

In the Sioux way of life, Wakan Tanka (Standard Lakota Orthography: Wakȟáŋ Tȟáŋka) is the term for "the sacred" or "the divine". This is usually translated as "The Great Spirit". However, according to Russell Means, its meaning is closer to "Great Mystery" as Lakota spirituality is not monotheistic.

Before the attempted conversion to Christianity, Wakȟáŋ Tȟáŋka was used to refer to an organization of sacred entities whose ways were mysterious; thus, "The Great Mystery". It is typically understood as the power or the sacredness which resides in everything, similar to many animistic and pantheistic beliefs. This term describes every creature and object as wakȟáŋ ("holy") or having aspects that are wakȟáŋ.[1]

Wakan Tanka was supposed to have placed the stones and minerals in the ground. They were also supposed to change the seasons and weather, and plants were supposed to have come out of the ground by their hand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakan-tanka

1. kerryg profile image83

"It is typically understood as the power or the sacredness which resides in everything, similar to many animistic and pantheistic beliefs. This term describes every creature and object as wakȟáŋ ("holy") or having aspects that are wakȟáŋ."

Yeah, that sounds about like what I've heard, but I've also heard Wakan Tanka described as a single entity and even a creator god, so I'm not sure what's right. It's possible the beliefs vary among the different branches of the Sioux - there are at least three major divisions: the Lakota or Teton Sioux, the Yankton or Western Dakota Sioux, and the Santee or Eastern Dakota Sioux, not to mention many smaller groups within each of the main divisions, such as the Oglala and Hunkpapa of the Lakota, the Mdewakanton of the Santee, etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)