The smartest in the GOP field?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (21 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I'd have to say Newt.

Next would be a tie between Mitt and Huntsman.

Ron Paul and Cain next.

Down at the bottom would be Bachmann and Perry.

I haven't decided about Santorum.

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Newt would probably be my guess, too. Too bad he's such a slimeball. tongue

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Newt doth some baggage have. Then again, Bill was no saint, either, yet he was a good president.

That's true.

2. quatrain profile image57
          quatrainposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This election is way too important to make it a sexual purity contest.

2. quatrain profile image57

Newt and Huntsman, with Romney a close third. Last would have to be Perry, after last night.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's kinda like being the coolest kid at the nerd table, isn't it? smile

No, I respect Newt's intelligence, and Ron Paul's. none of the other GOP players have impressed me lately. Cain's flailing, ham-handed response to the sexual harassment story shows that he's not all that "street smart" as some would argue. Rick Perry is probably smarter than he lets on (like W), but he'd also be as good for the country as W was, so that's a red flag right there.
      I could support Colin Powell, but he'll never run, so that's just me dreaming.

Romney is probably the best choice out of the lot; he stands out because he's not as crazy as a really crazy thing, and has demonstrated that he can be a pragmatist instead of an ideologue. But that probably just means that he'll never get the nomination. Oh, well.

Ron Paul would be a good candidate, but the GOP won't nominate him because he wants to defund the military as well as Social Security, and they don't want to cut defense spending even a tiny bit.

My prediction? The GOP will run a right-wing ideologue who will lose points with the mainstream of America for b@t$#!t craziness (take your pick, there are many in the field at the moment) and Obama will win a 2nd term, on the grounds that he isn't nucking futs.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You might just be right, Jeff. I've thought along these lines myself. If there is no clear Obama replacement—and I don't think the Repubs have one—then I do think that the abysmal lack of a clear demo contender against Obama will cause a default vote for keeping Obama in office.

But this crazy, batsh** world changes in an instant these days, so who knows what could happen between now and Nov 2012.

I wasn't expecting Paterno to get fired when he had already resigned. Crazy batsh** world. (But that's a different can of worms...)

4. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Newt is very intelligent, though every one of his ideas are lunacy. They always have been. Don't forget, his OWN party through him out of office after his Speakership. You all should read the Rolling Stone article this month...you'll learn a great deal about Newt.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I guess would mean that the GOP is in serious trouble. lol

1. habee profile image92

Lol, Cags. Newt has a PhD in history. I'd love to see a debate between Newt and Obama.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1.  Newt  2.  Cain

Newt has the brain and the experience in the political field.
        Cain has the common sense and the 'street' smarts.

Let's hope they are put on the same ticket in that order - Pres./ VP

1. habee profile image92

Newt is a little too conservative for me, but I do think he's super smart and could get things done. I just worry about exactly what he might get done. lol. Right now, I like Mitt the most. He's not too far to the right. I'm actually not crazy about any of them that might have a shot at the nomination. Huntsman would have been my #1 choice.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62

Newt is very intelligent but doesn't have a lick of common sense. He is a walking billboard for everything gone wrong in his life. He just can't help himself. In that light, I think his intelligence loses its value, to me. Particularly in a high office like the presidency.

I want to like Ron Paul more than I do, but there are just too many red flags the more I know what he's about.

Mitt may be able to turn the economy around, but then he'd own the country. He is incredibly self serving. Huntsman is an extremely smart man. Most people don't know how equitable and sensible he really is. He doesn't follow the normal conservative trends, is more progressive, and did a fabulous job as governor, and then as ambassador. However, he won't win because he's an unknown entity and a dark horse. He would have to pay his dues and try again in 4 years.

And the rest...well...they certainly advertise themselves well.

I think Hilary is going to have to come out of her shell and run again in order to get a good democrat on the ticket. I don't see many other viable options.

1. habee profile image92

Hi, Daniel! I wish Hil would run, too. And I just don't understand how Huntsman has been largely ignored.

Funny, I used to really dislike Hillary. My best friend, however, is a huge Hillary fan. Since I have so much respect for my friend, I began to learn more about Hil, and she def grew on me! lol

I think a couple of moderates (or at least not TOO far to the right or left) should run together - one R and one D - as POTUS and VP. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Hil and Huntsman '12!!

Oh, and I agree with you about Ron Paul. Sometimes he makes so much sense, I'm like, "Go Ron!" But then he comes up with something nutty.

"And I just don't understand how Huntsman has been largely ignored."

Me either. sad Granted, I'm a liberal so my opinion doesn't count, but he seems by far the most sensible candidate the GOP has right now.

"Oh, and I agree with you about Ron Paul. Sometimes he makes so much sense, I'm like, "Go Ron!" But then he comes up with something nutty."

Yup, I'd love for him to get the nomination, because it would make for the most interesting debates since Lincoln-Douglas, but actually become president? Um, no.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62

I absolutely detested the Clintons back in the 90's. But the more I let all my biases go and as I discovered that I really didn't believe most anything I was taught, I looked at what they did (warts and all) and realized that despite their faults, they have positively influenced the entire world in many ways. I don't know that I would like Hilary as a person at all. But she is unflappable in almost every scenario. Doesn't even flinch under pressure.

Huntsmans are a billionaire family. Jon senior has struggled with cancer and has been a huge benefactor to cancer research and treatment. They understand their position and influence and are pretty philanthropical about their approach to a lot of things. Jon Jr. and Mary Kay are as plastic looking as Mitt and his wife, but they are really great people. He is completely consistent in everything he says and does, unlike Mitt. I've watched them both, since Mitt also took over the 2002 Winter Olympic debacle in Utah, and I've rubbed shoulders on the fringes with people who know them well.

Mitt really is a good guy, just a big self-serving ego. And so that makes him inconsistent about what his motives really are. Huntsman has always thought and acted independently of conservative pressure, and scared the liberals. But he's completely consistent, as far as I can tell.

As far as dems are concerned, Hilary is the only one I can even wrap my brain around that I would consider voting for. But that story will yet unfold, I'm sure.

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's nice. All it tells me is that he can be more creative in his deception.
        I'm sure.

3. quatrain profile image57

Me too. Newt comes across as more authentic, and equally quick, if not quicker, on his feet.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A good sense of history will be good, so that one can see beyond and learn the lessons in the past. Plus he is a career politician, lots of experiences.

5. profile image0
        Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seriously? Huntsman is the only one on the entire stage who isn't either out of their mind or as corrupt as Dick Fuld.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)