Two most common mistake new Keyword Researchers make.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. QuestionMaster profile image79
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

I keep seeing people making these mistakes so I thought I'd just point them out:

1. When doing a search for keywords make sure you select "exact" not "broad." Broad brings in any keyword searches that feature your keywords ANYWHERE in the search sentence. Exact will match how many searches are made for those exact keywords on their own.

2. Ignore the "competition" bar. This shows competition for ADVERTISERS not PUBLISHERS. To check accurately how many websites are competing for a certain keyword term, you are best off searching it in either Chrome Incognito or Scroogle  so your results are not effected by Google tracking. Plugins like SEOquake will help you track the page rank - and you can look at the pages and see whether the keywords are featured in the URL and title.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh i always thought its publishers and not advertisers. Thanks for this info

2. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well done question master.. hadn't someone pointed that out to me a long time ago I would have given up and gone.. Great work.. I appreciate your effort

3. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Questionmaster: I actually use Broad and Exact - sometimes using 'broad' I'll come up with a nice longtail I hadn't thought about - while it won't be my primary keyword or keyphrase, it never hurts adding variances especially if they fit the content well!

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too. "broad" can be good for coming up with ideas, then switch to "exact" and check them or variations on them.

In fact keywords for a hub I wrote yesterday I found by doing just that; I couldn't come up with anything showing more than 50 searches per month and was ready to give up, but ended up with something decent by trying "broad" and getting ideas.

2. QuestionMaster profile image79
        QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very true Simey. However I named the thread "for New Keyword Researchers" as many use broad only, then don't understand why they don't get thousands of hits.

Of course once people are more familiar with keyword research, there are plenty of basic beginner rules that can be broken - but doing so without knowing exactly how it works can often result in angst for beginners.

1. SimeyC profile image89
          SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL fair point! I didn't see the 'new' bit!

smile

4. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I pointed the 1st out in a forum thread about 4 months ago. So many people do that, its surprising.

5. profile image0
      Mike Bigioniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your post was a rude awakening for me, but so glad to learn. Thanks.

6. writingfrosh profile image60
      writingfroshposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also thought that the competition is for publishers, but now I know better.. Thanks to you! smile

2. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

This info is useful, thank you.

3. Rosie2010 profile image69
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Thanks, QuestionMaster.  I've been doing #1, but I had also misunderstood "competition" and I thank you for pointing this out.  I've noticed lately that competition now shows "low", "medium" or "high" instead of a graph.  This makes more sense for me now. smile

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rosie i preferred the graph :-) it used to also state low med and high smile

I personally use the drop down to turn the competition off when possible... I find it distracting and something I don't really need. If you  have an Adwords account, you can view the average payout for clicks which I find works better.

4. Topnewhottoys profile image61
    Topnewhottoysposted 12 years ago

@questionmaster - uhh... just one note, re: writing for monetization.

Competition IS an important factor to consider IF you are involved with adsense income.

Low competition means fewer advertisers are bidding on that search term - which means that term will have lower value clicks. So I believe it IS an important keyword search factor if you are monetizing your work with adsense.

I guess it's all about the purpose of your writing.

GA

Good point. Although it does add extra backup to my own point - most people would assume that "low competition" is what they're aiming for. According to what you're saying (which I agree with), to earn the best money you need that graph to say "high competition" or at least "medium competition."

1. kmackey32 profile image65
        kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I am guilty of thinking low competition was what we where aiming for.

1. HikeGuy profile image69
          HikeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tips. I'm still new to using the keyword tools. Last time I was active on HP the Wonder Wheel still existed...

I knew the AdSense keyword tool was directed at advertisers, and I'm picking up pointers from hubs and throughout the forum, but I still don't think I'm getting the best use out of it. I look for long-tail keywords that don't have extreme numbers of searches, in hopes of hitting zones that aren't saturated.

If this isn't off-topic, what do you think of using Traffic Travis or Market Samurai? Or InboundWriter -- now advertised on the HP page that comes up after logout?

Thanks for taking time to help with the basics!

-- Trent

I guess it depends how serious you are about keyword research - Market Samurai is complicated and slow I've found. Micro Niche Finder doesn't give as many details but it is a lot faster and easier to use in my experience.

However they really do the same thing you can do with the free Google Adwords tool, just in a bit more depth. So you have to decide if it's worth the money.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)