OWS's 'Valley Forge' moment

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (66 posts)
  1. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 12 years ago

Is anyone else offended by people making reference to Valley Forge in this way?

Valley Forge was a brutal winter encampment. 12,000 men, 8,000 of which who didn't have shoes. Many had very little in the way of clothes. Rations were short, sometimes only flour and water. 2,500 men died that winter.

It's unfathomable to me...

1. Brooke Lorren profile image59
      Brooke Lorrenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  They're not nearly there yet.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Tell me about it after you have spent a winter of owing in New York City.

emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I understand the cold pretty well. I've been in some tough spots, but luckily I have training.

Seeing kids huddled up in their tents with parkas talking about Valley Forge just shows a level of disrespect that I can't believe.

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Maybe but they are putting their bodies where there mouths are.

No. I respect them for staying out there where it's cold. Calling it a Valley Forge moment though...

If they want to put their bodies where their mouths are to call it that, they would have to drop the coats and shoes, only eat a small amount of bread every day(with occasional niceties like jerky), and still work chopping down trees and hauling logs(again, barefoot) to make temporary shelters.

It's a long distance between Valley Forge and what these people are doing. It would be nice if our citizens understood and appreciated our history a little better.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I think you have missed the point. Whether or not they sit shoeless in the bitter cold doesn't matter. The fact is that they could easily get out of the elements; but  instead they stand firm in their resolve. It mirrors the unshakable and defiant spirit at Valley Forge.

I just don't see how anyone can draw that similarity. One is a group of people protesting something they believe in, in the cold, with parkas and tents and nice food and the safety of public facilities nearby. I understand they are doing something, but to compare that to Valley Forge...

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, but it disrespects the struggles our founders went through to make this nation.

1. knolyourself profile image61
        knolyourselfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And the homeless who live in this nation.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Look at it from another angle. It honors our founders because the nation born of their struggle has come so far that those who struggle to restore the freedoms we have lost can do it without weapons fired and with food in their belly. Because of our prosperity, that could never have been attained without that sacrifice, those who sacrifice now aren't forced to risk their lives in the cold; because they can afford the clothing necessary to survive it.

It's a different world. But the soldiers at Valley Forge left their jobs and their families to fight for what they believed in. As these people at OWS have. The soldiers were starving and cold because they weren't getting the support they needed. They lived off of the provisions sent to them. OWS has more monetary support, so they are surviving a little more easily.

If that's the way they want to be viewed, then they should say things like 'This is our way of honoring the founders' sacrifices', or something like that that actually shows respect for it. Calling this their Valley Forge moment is comparing the two, and they just can't be compared. Those soldiers gave life and limb to fighting for their cause. I'm fine if they want to try and honor that, but not if they try and compare themselves to it.

1. profile image0

Tell you what. Run on up there and walk a mile in their shoes. Then let us know what you think.

What, walk a mile in the shoes of the OWS people? Please.

I once did a survival challenge in the Rockies in February. 1 week, pants, shoes, shirt, sweater, pocketknife, at 10,000 ft. I slept in a snow cave, I had to make a fire for warmth, and I lived off fish I caught in an icy stream with my hands.

What they are going through isn't that bad, and it definitely isn't Valley Forge.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
                Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Man, no Starbucks?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
                  Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's you, isn't it? Love affair with a corporate abuser?

You would have a lot more time to stop wars if you quit stalking me.

2. emrldphx profile image60

Actually, there was, but I didn't take my wallet with me...

I love when I'm somewhere that doesn't have a starbucks within 50 miles.

2. profile image0

Oh yeh? Well, I walked five miles to school. Up hill both ways.. Naked in the snow. My fantasy beats your fantasy. Don't you think? smile

His is actually believable.

1. profile image0

Not really. All things considered.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
                    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So is hers. My Parents AND Grandparents both had that same up-hill walk to and from school. tongue

2. emrldphx profile image60

Do you need to know what I did?

First, a snow cave. Most inexperienced people will make one that is much too large so it won't be kept warm with your body heat. Big enough to sit in, no larger, and  no longer than you need to lay down. The opening needs to be small, you can use large blocks of snow to close it in more when you are inside, so you don't have to struggle through a large hole.

Pine boughs on the floor and as blankets, you can always find dry pine boughs close to the trunks of large pine trees. You can cut through or break smaller ones, or find a rock twice the size of your fist with an edge to chop through.

For making fire, the bow method works very well. Take a lace out of your shoes or boot, and tie it to two ends of a curved stick, like a bow. Then, take another stick and wrap it once with the lace. So, you have the lace going from one end of the bow, around your second stick once, and attached to the other end of the bow. Get a flat rock to put pressure on top of the second stick with, and you can draw the bow back and forth. This will spin the stick at very high speeds, getting friction you need to start fire.

For food, find a running stream. Mountain streams can stay running most of the year. The friction of the water keeps the water above freezing. On small streams there is usually a slight undercut on the sides of the stream, 3-4 inches. Reach down in the water and run your hand along the undercut. When you find a fish, you can rub its belly without scaring it. Then, it's a matter of practice to learn to flip it up out of the water.

It's worse if the stream is frozen over. You have to break a large section open ahead of time, as it can scare the fish away when you do.

When you have fish, well, do you need me to explain how to gut a fish?

You can discredit my story, but it doesn't make it false. I grew up in the Rockies, I know a thing or two about cold. I've camped out in -30 degree weather.

1. profile image0

I've camped in the Rockies in the winter. It's exhilarating. But you did not do it in a sweater. You can post anything you want to attempt to pretend that you survived the winter there in a sweater in a snow cave. But, I got frostbite once fully decked in winter gear. This was in broad daylight. You'd have died from exposure.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

I thought they were protesting with a bunch of unwashed, drug addled homeless murderers.

Honestly, I have no idea what they are protesting... without becoming an actual group with actual views, it's hard to know what the fuss is about. I get the feeling it's a 'we don't like the way things are, but we don't really understand what to do about it' kind of thing.

Were you not the one in another thread, that plead you were so poor that you couldn't feed your own child after you had had your bus pass stolen? That despite working hard and being an honest citizen, you could not cope with (what in previous economic times would have been a minor event?) Yet, apparently, you were one of the fortunate ones. You kept a roof over your head and you had people to turn to for help.

I thought you were a christian, isn't that supposed to mean you care about your fellow man? Despite allowing your child to starve, you still support the people that put you in this situation, and condemn those that were not as fortunate as you? Think about it?

Yes, I had a very rough stretch. Luckily, we had been smart and saved up money and food in case of problems. We were able to get by, through job loss and sickness, because we were financially responsible in the years before. We didn't build up large amounts of credit card debt or anything like that. Bought used cars to save money on car payments. Lived within our means.

I don't actually label myself a Christian per se... I believe that God is known by many names. I do care about my fellow men, and try to help them as much as possible.

I don't think you know who caused the mess we are in. I'll give you a hint: it was very involved with lots of people, including the average american. I dont' condemn those who can't do without. However, I don't appreciate naive protestors comparing themselves to the soldiers at Valley Forge.

Then I'l ask you again. Why, if you had been so fiscally responsible, had you allowed your child to starve and lose weight, because you had your bus pass stolen? You're ever a liar or you neglected your child. If you want to post in these forums, you need to have a long memory.

I'd say that sums it up really well.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

That is exactly what they are saying, just in their words not yours.

3. Repairguy47 profile image60

You're not alone, these brats with their hands out wont suffer for long if they suffer at all. When they get a few years behind them and realize that income is tied to revenue they will hit heir foreheads and come to the realization that they were stupid. Low risk low reward.

I don't want to judge people as a group... I don't know what their situation is individually... but from what I've seen of people talking to news and such, they don't even realize what it is they are upset about...

Capitalism is evil, especially for those who work hard and get/make jobs.

Nice.

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

Hey I remember , in the real world , getting out of high school and college in the seventies and actually taking a job at min. wage and growing from there !!!
    Not standing in a park waiting for the world to hand me my dream! Grow up ! Put your tent away and go to work!

Yeah, people used to have to really work for things... My parents started out saving $5/month. After 20 years they had their own house paid for. Now, everyone expects to have a house right out of college...

It's quite a different world than it used to be.

6. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

Exactly , and I don't fault anyone who is hungry , unemployed , or standing up for a real  cause . Hell, thats honorable !  But this OWS is a joke! "Valley forge "....please !  Everyone today wants to start at the top with everything already "earned"!

7. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

And, as if I have to ask this question......

But, what moron made the comparison of the OWS to Vally Forge?

Just curious the source that said it.

Eh, I've closed down all the news sources... you can just do a search ows valley forge... OWS people are the ones calling it that.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh okay.

But, I'll pass. It's not that important.

8. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Sounds like most places they are camped at are tired of them and are kicking them out.  Too much crime and too much mess.

At least people can be responsible, clean, peaceful, if they want to make a point. I've heard a lot of stories of stuff getting messed up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)