List the Top Ten Books you've read (thus far)

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (66 posts)
  1. Sarahredhead profile image82
    Sarahredheadposted 12 years ago

TOP TEN BEST BOOKS (yet...)

If you are a ridiculous, I mean...er, avid reader like myself, then you will read just about anything. I have a love of so many authors, genres and subjects, but there are always a few that stay with me for many years. Sometimes it is difficult to find other voracious readers (probably because we have our noses in books somewhere) so I implore you; what were some of the best books you ever read? And why? I am describing books with which you connected, or couldn't stop thinking about for weeks, months or years. We all have a definition of what we believe a great read should be. Share the love, and the inspiration. After all, "we read to know we are not alone." (CSL)

My favorite reads over the years, in no particular order:

1.    The Outsiders by SE Hinton
    2.    Arundel By Kenneth Roberts
    3.    Ahab’s Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund
    4.    Motherhood: The World’s Second Oldest Profession by Erma Bombeck
    5.    Annie Freeman’s FabulousTraveling Funeral by Kris Radish
    6.    Julia’s Chocolates by Cathy Lamb
    7.    InkHeart by Cornelia Funke
    8.    The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis
    9.    The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein
    10.               Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Sarahredheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Outsiders, which I read when I was 8, made me very aware of people as characters and souls, not the classes and categories into which society often places them. Arundel was one of the first historic adventure novels which completely transported me to another time and place; I stayed up all night to finish it. Ahab's Wife: I still think about scenes form that book. It was an amazing expanse of story, character, emotions.... It was one of the only books where a scene caught me off guard and I gasped out loud - that's a good book! I'll just say my own writing style pays homage to Erma and may her wit live forever on. She taught me to find the humor in almost everything. Julia's Chocolates was a delicious surprise with laughter and tears. Inkheart was one of the best adventures the children and I have read since Tolkein and Rowling. C.S. Lewis and his Narnia books were the first books I read as a child - and they left a permanent mark on my overactive imagination! So, too, did his best friend's works, Mr. Tolkein's literary wonders. I read Atals Shrugged last year and I loved it. For me, it was the intelligent combination of romance, conspiracy, prophecy, and I couldn't resist Dagny. She should have been a redhead!

2. Sarahredhead profile image82

I forgot to add The Agony and The Ecstasy by Irving Stone - as an artist, I could not get enough of that book! It re-read it every ten years!

2. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

I'll list the top 5 books that really made an impression on me. I was a history major in college so you might understand the reasoning behind some of my choices. Even though these books are fictional, they really captured the essence of the era they cover. 

1. Shogun a novel of Japan by James Clavell
    2. Gai-Jin also by James Clavell
    3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    4. Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry
    5. The Secret River, by Kate Grenville

Clavell made me feel as if I were in feudal Japan.  Fitzgerald paints scenes with words and reminds us that chasing the 'American Dream' we should be prepared for an unhappy ending. McMurtry allowed me to live vicariously as a real cowboy. And Grenville showed me that Australia's beginnings were not that dissimilar to ours here in the US.

I don't really have a favorite genre. I like books that have a  continuous storyline with characters that cross over into a series, characters that are intriguing and fully dimensional. Books like:

W.E.B Griffin's Badge of Honor
    Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels
    The Left Behind series
    The Harry Potter series

I also enjoy almost anything by John Grisham and Stephen King.

3. Sarahredhead profile image82
    Sarahredheadposted 12 years ago

Excellent!! I have read all but three of these.                                                                                                                          I remember reading the Red Badge in the 4th grade, and it was the first book I ever read which contained graphic descriptions of death and realistic war scenes. I went through a Fitzgerald addiction at one point, as well... you are exactly right - his language is so beautiful, so concise, and it DOES remind us of the pitfalls of the American dream.                                                                                                                         I must say my close encounter with cowboys came from all of my parents' LAmour novels: reading those made me want to learn to ride horses - which I did! And I can still conjure the smell of a campfire, thick slabs of bacon and camp coffee.                                                                                                                                                                                          Thanks for sharing the list!!!

4. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

The books that make the biggest impression on me are self-help and science books.  I am not a big reader of fiction, except for the stories of Sherlock Holmes, which I enjoy reading over and over again.

1. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies by Rob Willson &  Rhena Branch.
    2. A Seperate Creation by Chandler Burr.
    3. Mind Watching - Why We Behave The Way We Do by Hans and Michael Eysenck
    4. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
    5. The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes

1. profile image0
      Sherlock221bposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is odd, when I consider that I have a personal library of over 6,000 books, yet can only remember five titles off the top of my head.

1. Nurfninja profile image59
        Nurfninjaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wow you're a lucky man.  6,000 books?   That's larger than my local library.

5. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

1. Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut
    2. Life, The Universe & Everything by Douglas Adams
    3. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    4. How To Be Good by Nick Hornby
    5. World Without End, Amen by Jimmy Breslin
    6. The World According to Garp by John Irving
    7. Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey
    8. Enderby's End by Anthony Burgess
    9. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
    10. Romance of the Three Kingdoms (an oral tradition translated by Luo Guan Zhong, detailing the fall of the Han dynasty and the multifaceted conflicts that ensued afterwards, part of which inspired the film Red Cliffs)

1. shogan profile image77
      shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you haven't already, Jonathan, you should read Slaughterhouse Five.  Given your list, you're bound to like it.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did like Slaughter and Breakfast of Champions. They just didnt quite make the list. Def put both in the top20

2. emichael profile image60
      emichaelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I actually read my first Vonnegut a few months ago. Slaughter House Five. Since then I've been picking up every one of his I come across in used bookstores. I just got Timequake a couple days ago. Looks like that's the one I'll be reading next.

3. Sarahredhead profile image82

Oh these are reat lists!

6. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

Let's see....I'd say, to date the best ten books I've read are:

1)   East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    2)   To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    3)   Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
    4)   The Thorn Birds - Colleen McCollough
    5)   The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton
    6)   An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
    7)   The Given Day - Dennis LeHane
    8)   Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
    9)   The Shell Seekers - Rosamunde Pilcher
    10)  The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory

1. emichael profile image60

I am sad to say that I have only read 2 of the books on your list (2 and 3). What of these is your top favorite?

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My top favorites tie and they are East of Eden and To Kill a Mockingbird.

smile  Both brilliantly written, with fantastic characters.

And, I should really have included Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  I love, love, love the book.

Of all Steinbeck's, I always hear the most praise for this one. I'll have to put it next on my list. Though with all of this writing we're doing lately, I haven't found much time for reading! But I'm not complaining.

1. profile image0

I've run into the same little conundrum on my end...lol  But, no complaints here either. 

The book is phenomenal.  Full of fascinating characters and life lessons all over.  Worth every minute it takes to read, and you'll probably find yourself going back multiple times.  I've read it four times so far, and it awaits yet another reading from me.

7. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Shogun and King Rat by James Clavell. Something about Clavell, I love his work.

The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
    The Thorn Birds by Coleen McColloch.
    Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
    The Shining by Stephen King
    The Painted House by John Grisham.
    Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

8. emichael profile image60
    emichaelposted 12 years ago

Ok, let's see. In no particular order...

1. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    2. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
    3. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
    4. Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut
    5. Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton
    6. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
    7. A Separate Peace by John Knowles
    8. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    10. The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis

Sweet. My husband and I love Adams, and also Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett. But then again, I do love a good laugh! To Kill A Mockingbird should have been on my list as well! ALL of these are so great!

I see I have some new books to acquire...

You know...I haven't read any Gaiman yet, but I've heard good things. What's his style?

He writes with wit, irony, and a wicked clever style. I think you'll love it!

2. profile image0

There are a few on your list that I haven't read also...I have to check out the Lewis trilogy.  I've read a lot of his Christian books, as well as "A Grief Observed," but not a lot of his others.  And, can you believe it?  I've never read a single thing by Vonnegut.

See and I'm the opposite. I've only really read his fiction. The Space Trilogy is great not only because it's a good, fun story, but the depth of the theology and philosophy will knock your socks off. Especially in the second book, Perelandra. Also, you should look into Till We Have Faces, if you haven't heard of it. It's a retelling of the story of Cupid and Psyche. Very, very excellent.

Yeah, Vonnegut has become one of my favorites. I feel like being a fan of Douglas Adams, you would appreciate him. They're not totally alike, but they have a similar zany quality in their storytelling.

I have a collection of all Lewis' works - and I must agree. In fact, he is so uniqie as an author that in my mind he has his very own category. Til We Have Faces was superb, indeed. And myhusband (sci fi freak) and I both savored his space trilogy. If you're a thinker on any level, you won't be disappointed. Lewis always provides meat for the mind, regardless of genre!

1. profile image0

That's it!  I'm sold.  The next thing I purchase will be Lewis' space trilogy.  You've both convinced me it will be well worth the read.

smile

In case you haven't gotten these yet...just a little nudge in that direction smile

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Trilogy-Per … amp;sr=8-5

You are welcome.

9. profile image0
    adeaugustusposted 12 years ago

Ok. I love reading so i dont have a special genre. I just read anything, that suits my mood.
    1. Harry potter series started reading at the age of 7 { J.K ROWLINGS}
    2. Chronicles of narnia {C.S LEWIS}
    3. Robinson Crusoe {DANIEL DEFOE} read at the age of 8
    4. Every book written by Join Grisham. Everything.
    5. All of mario puzo's work.
    6.Jurasic Park by Michael Crichton
    7. The Da vinci code by Dan Brown
    8. Prince of Beverely Hills
    9. Digital Fortress
    10. All of Tom clancy's work.

You know...Jurassic Park and Lost World are the only Crichton books I haven't read. I think it's because I am so familiar with the movies. I have a hard time getting into a book if I've already seen the movies.

1. DNCalkins profile image59
        DNCalkinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For what it's worth, I can say that Jurassic Park is absolutely unrecognizable as a movie.  This isn't necessarily an endorsement of the book, but the two share titles, basic concepts and character names and the similarities end there.

10. KBEvolve profile image68
    KBEvolveposted 12 years ago

As far as fantasy goes, the Song of Ice and Fire ruined me for all else. Admittedly it went downhill somewhat in the last two books but I still rank it as the best series I've read in that genre.

I have not read that - I will have to check that out!! Thanks - I am ALWAYS looking for a great read!

11. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I have an annotated list on my blog of the 100 books that have left the greatest impression on me over my decades of reading.

If anyone is interested, it is at:
    http://writeangledwrites.blogspot.com/2 … tated.html

12. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

some of my favorites

most of Michael Crichton's books - simply brilliant writer/storyteller
    http://www.michaelcrichton.net/books.html
    The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy/Tolkien
    Anna Karenina/Tolstoy
    Pride and Prejudice/Jane Austen
    Girl With a Pearl Earring/Tracy Chevalier - her books are like reading art.
    I loved reading the illustrated version of The DaVinci Code/Dan Brown.
    The Yearling and Cross Creek/Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
    Walden/Thoreau

Great list! I have read three of Tracy Chevalier's books - including Pearl Earring - and they are indeed like reading art.

13. truebluewriter profile image60
    truebluewriterposted 12 years ago

Her's my list:

LOTR series
    harry potter series
    Song of ice and fire series
    Gates of fire
    acts of faith
    The paolo coehlo books
    Dan browns books
    The 5 people you meet in heaven
    Memoirs of a geisha
    To kill a mocking bird

Thats actually a lot more than ten but i'm not really good at ranking them. I like them all equally i guess smile

I should have included Harper Lee's masterpiece somewhere on my list as well...in fact, I just finished reading it to my kids. Great list. I never have read Memoirs; may have to pick up a copy!

14. profile image0
    juliafranceschiniposted 12 years ago

This is fun. I love writing about books. I'm just going to do top 5 though, because trying to sort out a top ten seems too daunting to me...

1. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell: This is a book that I reread once every year. And every year I find something new to like about it. Sometimes it's really hilarious, sometimes it's really disturbing, sometimes it's really astute. I love Orwell's conception of a society built on fear, control, and surveillance. And to be honest, half the time I think the Party's politics could actually work. Plus, I love the concept of solipsism and how reality is "inside the skull" as O'Brian would say.

2. The Trial, Franz Kafka: It's an infuriating read and makes me frustrated just thinking about it. I love how Kafka describes space or how space closes in on his characters. And I like that the events in his stories don't always make sense. His subtle humor also really gets me.

3. The Plague, Albert Camus: A great introduction to existentialism. I always try to live my life like the main character, but I don't know if I'd be able to find meaning during a plague. It's hard to find meaning during this financial crisis.

4. Frankenstein, Mary Shelley: I love Gothic fiction. And I'm so impressed with Mary Shelley's inventive story. There are so many ways to interpret this novel.

5. Harry Potter Series, J.K. Rowling: Genius concept that never once gets boring during all 7 books.

Superb list. I must read The Trial; it sounds like a challenge! And the kids and I couldn't agree more with #5: My husband and I started reading the series long before the movies existed, and all seven books kept us reading far into the night!

15. marriedwithdebt profile image77
    marriedwithdebtposted 12 years ago

This is a tough one, but in no particular order

Brightness Falls - Jay McInerney
    Hotel New Hampshire - John Irving
    Black Lamb, Grey Falcon - Rebecca West
    Rising Up and Rising Down - William T. Vollman
    The Stranger - Albert Camus
    The Hawkline Monster - Richard Brautigan
    Bound for Glory - Woody Guthrie
    Money - Martin Amis
    Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
    On the Road - Jack Kerouac

I definitely have some books to buy. I have only read two on your list, so let the reading begin. Atlas is one of my top ten as well!

16. DNCalkins profile image59
    DNCalkinsposted 12 years ago

In no particular order and subject to change at any time:

Audrey Hepburn's Neck by Alan Brown
    The Roaches Have No King by Daniel Evan Weiss
    A Peace to End All Peace by David Fromkin
    The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima
    The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
    Commentarii de Bello Gallico by Julius Caesar
    Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa
    The Serpent and the Rainbow
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
    From Hell by Alan Moore

I'll admit that this list shows a slight bias for Japanese related material that is misleading.  In general, I have no particular taste for most Japanese related literature, but the entries here were unavoidable!

This is a really cool list. I have only read two of these books, so thank you for pointing me in a new direction!

1. DNCalkins profile image59
        DNCalkinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Happy to be of service.

17. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I love to read but usually that means I am reading articles and columns and not to many books. So when I do read I tend to stick with who I generally like and usually only read other authers when forced too, by hospital bed, airplane excedellla excedellla excedellla lol Sorry, for those of you who got that you may think it's funny. I did. Anyway.....

TOP TEN LIST IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

1. The Hobbit
    2. The Stand
    3. Dean Koontzs  Frankenstein Series
    4. The B.F.G. By Raul Daul
    5. Harris and Me
    6. The Green Mile
    7. Why I Stayed by Gayle Haggard
    8. The Visitation
    9. All Calvin and Hobbes collections = ) Yes they count lol
    10. The Shack

I like all these for different reasons but with having 5 kids the best reading time I get in is usually when I can fit in only a thousand words or so which is why the majority of my reading are columns or articles.

1. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Like SarahRedhead, I could not begin to estimate how many books I've read.  After all I joined my first public library at age 12 and have been an avid reader for 63 years.   I've even written over a dozen books, numerous short stories, poems, essays, articles, film scripts myself.   So what are my favourite or best 12 books?

Not easy.   I used to enjoy reading John Steinbeck, but not all of his stuff.  I liked Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday, and his play, The Moon in Down.

Hemingway I also liked.  Snows of Kilimanjaro, and especially his story The Old Man and the Sea.

Then the Master of Story, Rober Louis Steveson and his classic kid's story, Treasur Island.

But mostly nowadays I'm into non-fiction, books such as those written by Wayne W Dyer, Joseph Murphy, Maxwell Matlz, Roberto Assagioli, Louise L Hay - all popular psychology and new age stuff.

I even started to read my own work, the fiction first- stuff I wrote 20, 30 and 40 years back and find myself enjoying it.

As I said, I hardly know where to start.

I wrote this in another hub, but it is pretty funny. Since we're all discussing our literary addiction:

TOP TWENTY-FIVE SIGNS YOU READ TOO MUCH

(Not that you could ever read too much!!!)

25. After hearing about an interesting dilemma or some juicy gossip, you tell people, “You should write a book…” and you mean it.

24. You hear gossip and you say, “I read that in a book once…” and proceed to discuss the plot.

23. You accidentally sign your checks with your pen name.

22. You hear someone else’s name and tell them it would make a great pen name.

21. You randomly quote book lines in conversation.

20. Your children are named after your favorite characters or authors.

19. You recognize archetypal patterns within your family.

18. You compare everyday life to plot structures and decide whether or not you’re the antagonist.

17. You are genuinely shocked when you meet someone who hates to read.

16.You try to convert a non-reader into a bibliophile.

15. You can read the inside cover of a book and know instantly whether or not you will like it.

14.You tell people, “Just give me the cliff notes version.”

13.Embarrassingly, you seem to know something about every topic people are discussing.

12.When asked how you know something, you always answer, “I read it in a book.”

11.Research should be your middle name.

10.Your house has more shelves than furniture.

9. People view your home as a local library, and use it accordingly.

8. You use phrases such as, “I’m sorry, I lost the plot,” or “Are you giving me the unabridged version?”

7. Your cat’s name is Frodo.

6. The bookstore knows you on a first name basis.

5. The book is always better than the movie.

4. You refer to phases in your life as “chapters”.

3. You own more than one dictionary, and they’re huge.

2. You claim you can write better than some of the crap you’ve read, even though you've never published anything.

1. You are the only one you know who doesn’t think climax is a sexual term.

2. Sarahredhead profile image82

I love it. Having three kids, I stay afloat in the world of YA and children's lit! There's some really great stuff out there. Fine list - I have to agree with the articles notion... It's touch and go so often taht articles must fill my literary void until I can find time for a book!

I have written many poems, short stories, and two bokks of sorts...I have never gone back to read them years later. Perhaps I should give it a try!

2. Captain Redbeard profile image60
        Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree my son being 8 years old means that right now we are half way thru the Spiderwick Chronicles and I have to say I enjoy the adventure! Stuff I never would have read if I didn't have kids.

18. 5mics123 profile image59
    5mics123posted 12 years ago

I love to read and suggest that everyone does the same, and if you want I have a list of books that are really great. Some are a little expensive but are worth it.

Go here if you are interested.
    mylitteplaceofentertainment.3dcartstores.com/BOOKS-YOU-MUST-READ_c_26.html
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5746960.jpg

19. DNCalkins profile image59
    DNCalkinsposted 12 years ago

Why not post your list in this thread?

20. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

1. Chesapeake - James Michener

2. Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck

3. Tess of the D'urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

4. Harvest Home - Thomas Tryon

5. Hunter's Horn - Harriet Arnow

6. The Stand - Stephen King

7. Ghost Story - Peter Straub

8. Lyrical Ballads - Wordsworth and Coleridge

9. New Testament

10. anything by Dickens

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
      Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hate to sound stupid but what is your take on the Grapes of Wrath? I like Steinbeck but have yet to travel farther than, Of Mice and Men. I am interested in The Grapes of Wrath, The Moon is Down and a few others though.

21. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago
  22. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

Ulysses
    Lord of the Flies
    Brave New World
    Of Mice and Men
    Les Miserable
    Catch 22
    Great Expectations
    A Tale of Two Cities
    The Great Gatsby
    Wuthering Heights
    East of Eden
    To Kill A Mockingbird

23. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Its cool to see so many shared "tops", will have to glean through and find some unknown treasures for myself.

In no particular order, just glancing at my bookshelf.

Everything is Illuminated, Jonathan Foer
    The Shogun Series - Clavelle
    Magister Ludi - Hesse  (But Anything by Hesse is a must read)
    Cats Cradle - Vonnegut (same deal)
    1984 - Orwell
    Hotel New Hampshire - John Irving (he has a new book coming out!)
    On a Pale Horse - Piers Anthony (Incarnations of Immortality series)
    All Things Wise and Wonderful - James Herriot (again, the whole series works for me)
    The Laws of Success- Napoleon Hill
    Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins (suggested that one read them all!)

I would throw in an Asimov,Adams or Gaiman title but this list was hard enough.

I did a top ten most influential books list ... which varies a bit from this list

http://sunforged.hubpages.com/hub/Books … Best-Books

i think the adams/vonnegut fans would really enjoy robbins and gaiman , at least thats how I "discovered" those two authors

lord of the flies and the jungle belong in there ..they were just to thin to stand out on the shelf, ten is to little to choose!

24. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 12 years ago

I'd rather list them as my top 10 best authors, because I read all of their published books. But honestly, I cannot rate them in terms of numbers. smile

Jack London
    Wilbur Smith
    James Herriot
    James Clavell
    Louis L'Amour
    James Michener
    Irwing Wallace
    Alistair McLean
    Desmond Bagley
    Umberto Eco

Plus

Hammond Inns
    Sidney Sheldon
    Tagore
    James Hadley Chase
    Durga Prasad Khatri
    Ayn Rand
    Uri Bondarev
    Michail Sholokhov
    Gorky
    M.T. Vasudevan
    Thakazhi
    Vaikom Mohammed Basheer

Not in any particular order, that is.

Best Regards
    SunSeven

Niiiiiice......I definitely have some new books to borrow/check out/purchase!

Which Umberto Eco book was your favorite? I am trying to decide which of his I should read first...

1. carol3san profile image60
        carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1 To Kill a Mocking Bird
        2 Jane Erye
        3 Little women
        4 Gone with the Wind
        5 A Tale of Two Cities
        6 Scarlet letter
        7 Valley of the Dolls
        8- Helter Skelter
        9 Several Steven King's books

25. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I'm going to have to go with my ten most recent best reads as my reading habits are too prolific otherwise.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson
    The Black Sun: The Alchemy and Art of Darkness by Stanton Marlon
    The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
    The Ecotechnic Future by John Michael Greer
    The Miracle of Life by JG Ballard
    Zero History by William Gibson
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

26. profile image51
    Travis Mcgeeposted 7 years ago

I compiled my top 10 all time books into a Best books to read in 2017 list. It basically contains the entire Hitchhiker's Guide series as the Trilogy of 5 are my favourites

27. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

Old thread and spammy resurrection but I'm posting anyway.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
    Maus by Art Spiegelman
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)