What happens after death?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (306 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PhenomWriterposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5709853_f248.jpg
    Is this the only life we have been given? Or there is a soul that survives this body and goes elsewhere to any God? This is the small question I am having with my fellow human beings who are few in numbers...

Image: hindu funeral pyre. they burn the body after death!

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

After much reading of the bible and looking at Judaism, my view is we rot in the grave, our conciousness is said to be asleep, and we are in total oblivion until a future resurrection. Nowhere does the bible teach that we go to heaven (or hell) upon death.

Logically if we had some immortal spirit/soul that left our bodies after death retaining conciousness, memories and intelligence, then it should be impossible to suffer brain damage in this life. That is how can people lose their memories, undergo personality changes due to brain trauma, or live in a persistent vegitative state? Surely this immortal soul/spirit would still be alive and concious retaking memories and faculties whilst we were alive too.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

Typo "retaking memories" should read "retaining memories". Apple iOS spell checker issues.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's funny that you said retaking memories.  Ironically, most of us come to the next life retaking the past one like a movie rerun.  We're supposed to learn from experience but many of us just let experience rule us.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

From the Bible; didn't Saul have a psychic pull the spirit of Samuel back into this reality for advice? Didn't Samuel complain about it? Different translations appear to in interpret the incident differently, but by Samuel's words it appears he wasn't simply rotting in the interim.

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always wondered ???   When Samuel was awakened;   was he able to go back to sleep?

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

The Hebrew scriptures state that once dead, you are dead, there are no spirits coming back. The interpretation I've read of the Samuel/psychic event was that she was deceiving a gullible Saul by a mix of known Israelite history, cold reading, and theatrics. In the story Saul never actually saw or heard this spirit of Samuel.

1. profile image0

Ok, I just read that part again. That is certainly one valid interpretation. So, what about when the disciples saw the transfiguration? Where did Moses and Elijah supposedly come from? And doesn't the text claim John the Baptist was Elijah reincarnated?

1. aguasilver profile image70
              aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My understanding is that we enter 'soul sleep' i.e. we are held in abeyance until resurrection, whilst the body decays in the grave.

Job 14:12
              So man lies down and does not rise [to his former state]. Till the heavens are no more, men will not awake nor be raised [physically] out of their sleep.

Daniel 12:2
              And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake: some to everlasting life and some to shame and everlasting contempt and abhorrence.

Ephesians 5:14
              Therefore He says, Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall shine (make day dawn) upon you and give you light.

The body is purely a vehicle, we abandon it when we leave.

BTW Samuel appears to have spoken to Saul, and Saul answered, so I guess something was there in some form, with vocal ability!

1. profile image0
                PhenomWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i.e. we are held in abeyance until resurrection, whilst the body decays in the grave.

I may have understood it wrong - then please correct me; but does it then mean that people often rise from their death-sleeps in their graves?

[b]What will happen with poor Hindus, who seem to be ignorant of this fact, and who burn the entire body, after death, into mere ashes?

...I am interested

1. aguasilver profile image70

God is not bothered by what we do with our bodies after death, it's what we do with our lives that counts.

If a Hindu knows God, they will be raised with those who are to be raised.

1. profile image0

Interesting reply, aguasilver , thanks for this one; and very practical.

But, if there is such a thing called 'after-life', then  what we do with our lives  does not count. This is the problem. Then we shall always get a 'second chance'.

I wish you will dispel this system-failure...

2. profile image0

Interesting, but that still leaves the question of the transfiguration; who, ultimately, was John the Baptist; several statements made on the cross, the death of Stephen and a few loose ends left in the Old and New Testament.

I'm not saying anything with that; other than since there is room for differences of opinion I'm surprised anyone feels comfortable speaking with any certainty on this topic.

1. profile image0

I have not much knowledge of religious books. So I have found this above statement of yours a bit intriguing; I quote you-

"still leaves the question of the transfiguration; who, ultimately, was John the Baptist; several statements made on the cross, the death of Stephen and a few loose ends left in the Old and New Testament. "

Do they point to any concrete evidence that supports after-life? Or even Immortality? Or God?

If these are just some stories - then then questions lose their value.

1. profile image0

I don't consider any of it to be concrete evidence; but many do. Who am I to say who is right or wrong? I've always been fascinated with how people can make a stand, from their interpretation of the texts. There is a lot of information that seems to be at odds with other parts.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

Hi Emile,
                  After the transfiguration Yashua instructed the two disciples not to speak of the vision. To me 'vision' is the key word. They did not see the spirits of Elijah and Moses. Both of these were in Sheol (the grave) which according to its use in the Hebrew scriptures is a place of sleep and oblivion until the resurrection. What the purpose of this vision was or what was said, we are not told.

3. Rhonda Elisha profile image59
                Rhonda Elishaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Concerning: Reincarnation
                As noted: In Scripture (Job 33:29-30) “God sometimes brings a soul from the pit to live among those of the living”
                This, thus, demonstrate God power to revive those from death to live again and clarifying also the existence of hell.

As noted: In Scripture (Daniel 12:13) God says to Daniel: “That he will live out the rest of his life and go to eternal peace but will rise again to share in the last days.”
                This, thus, demonstrate God power to revive those from death to live again and clarifying the existence of heaven. (The promised rest).

Concerning: The existence of heaven
                As noted: In Scripture (Job 33:23-24) “The Holy Spirit speaks of messengers from heaven whom sometimes intercede as a friend for man to God and God shows pity, therefore, setting that man free from death.”
                This, thus, demonstrating, the existence of heaven and it's inhabitance.

As noted: In Scripture (Hebrews 8:1-2) “The Lord today resides in heaven where he ministers in the Temple.”
                This, thus, demonstrating, the existence of heaven and it's inhabitance.

Concerning: The existence of hell and heaven
                As noted: In Scripture (Luke 18:19-31) “The rich man and Eleazer the begger.”
                This, thus, demonstrating, the existence of heaven and hell. The Holy Spirit also speaks of Abraham being in the place of the righteous dead.

As noted: In Scripture (1 Peter 3:18-21) “The Lord after his death of mercy, visit and ministers to those whom were sentenced to hell after the flood.”
                This, thus, demonstrating, the existence of hell.

2. profile image51
              paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not the reincarnated one but in the symbolic terms or in character; like Mirza Ghulam Ahmad is the Promised Messiah of our era; those who die don't get reincarnated or come again. Elijah did not descend from the skies physically so Jesus will never come again.

Christians should not commit the same mistake the Jews committed.

1. profile image0

"Not the reincarnated one but in the symbolic terms or in character; like Mirza Ghulam Ahmad is the Promised Messiah of our era; those who die don't get reincarnated or come again."

I have quoted you paarsurrey.

May you please explain a little these two terms - symbolic terms or in character?

1. profile image51

Jesus was follower of the Law of Moses; he brought no new law; he was sent to Jews for their reformation and that they follow Torah, in its true spirit; and that they end their made-up differences; this was the character of Jesus in a nutshell.

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad followed Quran- the Law that descended on Muhammad, he did not bring any new law and was to follow Quran in its true spirit; and was sent as a Truthful Judge to end the differences of Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity and Muslims etc.

So Mirza Ghulam Ahmad is Jesus Messiah Christ of our era in character; he is re-incarnation of none.

1. profile image0

So he was mortal I believe?

2. mom101 profile image61
            mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is my understanding that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

3. profile image0

You have brought up some very fascinating points Disappearinghead: if there
        is a body-independent consciousness, then that must be immune to body damage; which is not the case. I will think upon that.

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Someone that loses speech, doesn't lose thought. Perhaps the brain is merely a neccessary tool, like the tongue. The brain damaged no longer have that needed tool and therefore even though thier spirit/immortal soul is unchanged it can't use the broken tool effectively to communicate/function in the mortal realm.... hmm

1. profile image0

Mind and body and brain are so deeply intertwined that it is quite impossible to separate them; at least with the kind of information we have right now.

May be Mind and Brain are not as important, as Soul is - which is difficult to establish.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Maybe Mind is Soul, and brain is like tongue.

1. profile image0

may be,  Mikel...

5. profile image53
        Euphony101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eastern peoples know that there is a Soul  or Conciousness which is ATTACHED to, but not a part of, the physical body which is its vehicle for learning experiences on earth. The Soul is immortal. Physical bodies of flesh and blood are subject to corruption, disease and death, the Higher Self is not. Therefore, what affects the physical does not affect the Spirit or Soul.  When physical life ceases, the immortal returns to the Higher World for rest and evaluation before returning, if necessary, to this world to progress further on its spiritual path of evolution.

1. profile image0

Eastern people have always been very Imaginative. They could master the world had they only combined their imagination with their rational faculties. Their gods ate their reason, and the British ate them afterwards.

This concept you have put here, Euphony101, is indeed noble, and fascinating - just missing the reason...as always.

1. profile image53
            Euphony101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your reply, PhenomWriter. I hope you find the answers you are looking for someday. God Bless you.

2. profile image50
      ravihomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In hindu they burn the body after the death.....

3. profile image51

Burying or burning don't matter much; the dead body has to be disposed off with honour and respect; the soul however does not decay or burn.

Those who achieve the purpose of life set by the Creator God; will be given as a reward a new life having entirely different dimension that could be perceived now, that is the heavenly life promised by the Creator God.

Those who fail to achive the purpose of life will come to know what good life has been acieved by their fellow human beings and that was achievable for them also yet they did not make any effor for that; that is their hell.

The zeal to achieve the purpose of life is one aspect of the human spirit.

4. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

nothing happens. that's just how it is but many people refuse to believe it. it kind of gives me the creeps how desparate people are about death being the end. if religion didn't talk about the afterlife, it would cease to exist or actually it would never have existed. the afterlife is religions strongest ally.

1. profile image0

Then we must debunk that belief, and search a solution for immortality. Who desires to die?

As for nothing happens, a science that can not still define this thing which is 'biological life', or that thing which is 'consciousness', can not buy to say that nothing happens after life.

Good reply...

5. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There's maggots, decays, etc.  There is a forensics place in America somewhere that tracks how bodies decay in certain situations.

1. profile image0

We all know perhaps what happens to the body after death. We are uncertain that what happens at the moment of death - the specific moment when a living being transforms so easily, into a mere corpse.

A science which can not define what is this thing called 'biological life', or that subtle thing called 'consciousness' - should stay quiet with the maggots.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And, where did you get this from? Just curious.

1. profile image0

Oh, did you ask thisisoli?

No, I asked you.

1. profile image0

This is my own synthesis. I hope they are rational, and scientific. And I have not still found these answers anywhere; least to say in the books I read in school.

I will happily change my knowledge-base, if anyone can provide the answers.

I guess I don't understand your stance.

Biological life is existence.

Consciousness? I'm not sure what you want to know about it....which part? Sub-conscious or just Consciousness(self awareness) or Both(Human Consciousness).

1. profile image0

Can you provide a scientific definition for 'biological life'? I never saw one...

I will love to get to know a little about Human Consciousness, and also animal consciousness - what is it? What is it made of? What happens to it when a person dies?

I hope I will get the answers.

2. thisisoli profile image69

Why would there be a scientific explanation of something that does not exist? There are plenty of scientific explanations and pshycological explanations to cover delusions such as life after death.

1. profile image0

Are you sure that nothing happens after death? I must compliment your confidence.

2. thisisoli profile image69

Ahh sorry I keep forgetting that made up nonsense that many people clicng to in an attempt to deal with the unavoidable end of their existance should take precedence over what actually happens in real life.

1. profile image0

Some of us have seen what happens in real-life. We are no longer interested in that - we want something better than maggots, and a rotten body

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
              A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really, really, really wishing for something doesn't make it so. lol

1. profile image0

Every action begins with a thought; even the toughest ones...some people, who are very clever, never makes the thought. I hope the smiler is an exception

6. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I respect you and your work (did you change your picture, or am I dreaming?).  This is a good question that we put off in our daily affairs. I will tell you what I believe, but not for the sake of argument, just to share with my fellow human being who is curious about what I think. It is interesting that you refer to yourself as a human being, since that might be assumed. The Sioux, the Pima, The Maricopa, The Creek and many other tribes of Native Americans all spoke different languages. In their own language the name of the tribe is translated human being, or children of the Earth or like that. They believe that life is a continuum, death is a door to another place, which could be loosely translated to mean “happy hunting ground”. The Christians, who bothered to talk to these people about faith, were impressed with their open hearts. They went through a lot of pain for no good reason.

The Bible (I am a believer) says that man was appointed to live once and then to die. It goes on to explain that it doesn’t end there. The spirit of a man cannot be destroyed. In the early Church, there were great controversies about the nature of the “resurrection body” that they were anticipating. One spiritual leader, in a requested letter to settle doctrinal issues (trouble already) addressed the controversy. He compared the body we have now to a grain of wheat. He explained that corruptible (temporary) seed must be planted in order for the incorruptible (permanent) to grow. He pointed out that the two bore no similarity to each other and the incorruptible has infinitely more “glory”.

He said that the people who were trying to argue the point were fools. It was beyond their comprehension. The Native Americans had the same take on that part. I am an American and as such, was taught to respect the beliefs of others and accept them as good neighbors. This can be at odds with many Churches that have a policy of aggressive evangelism to proselytize the world. Sometimes it is hard to strike a balance. Personally, I am looking forward to the day I discard these rags for the new suit. I am thankful that it does not depend on my righteousness and I will be clothed in the righteousness of the one who allowed himself to be sacrificed on my account.

“He, who is forgiven much, loves much”. I have been forgiven much.
      Again, I respect the beliefs of others and their right to believe as they see fit. I wish them well in their pursuit of happiness. If anyone has a mind to come and impose their beliefs and restrictive religious system on me . . . good luck with that.

1. profile image0

ANTONY

This was the noblest Roman of them all.
        All the conspirators save only he
        Did that they did in envy of great Caesar.
        He only in a general honest thought
        And common good to all, made one of them.
        His life was gentle, and the elements
        So mixed in him that Nature might stand up
        And say to all the world, “This was a man.

Julius Caesar, Act 5, Scene 5
        William Shakespeare

7. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I could tell you the truth, but that would be like telling you the ending to a good book or movie, and I wouldn't want to spoil it for you with the surprize ending that is instore for all.

1. profile image0

accepted...

8. Dave Mathews profile image60

To use a quote from Tom Cruze in the movie
      "Top Gun" "That's top secret." "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you."

2. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 12 years ago

My belief is that our spirits go to Paradise, where Christ went to preach to those who hadn't seen him, and where He said to the others crucified that day 'today you shall be with me in paradise'.

There, we await resurrection into a perfected body, and our deserved version of heaven.

1. profile image0

belief...

3. Vinaya Ghimire profile image80
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 12 years ago

According to the Hindu world view our body is composed of five elements: earth, water, fire, air and ether. After we die these elements are mixed up the respective elements.

1. profile image0

And that makes a lot of sense. Our essence is reabsorbed. I've always felt the consciousness will live on, but  maybe not as a separate consciousness. Possibly reabsorbed into a larger part of the whole.

4. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

The Bible seems to give different answers to this question. But does it really?
    Or, is Paradise the same place as heaven? Is heaven and "The Kingdom of God" the same place?

Jesus said to the other man crucified that day,today you shall be with me in paradise.
       And yet, Scripture says that when we die, we sleep in the ground with our forefathers until the FIRST resurrection. How can these both be true?
       These are just two instances mentioned in the bible among many.
       I think that they are all true.

We are just trying to come to a misguided conclusion that all of these instances are talking about the same event, happening in the same timeframe.

Just like if we read an artical covering last weeks football game.
    One sentance might mention the score being 7 to 3 
    Another "      "     "      "    "     "   14 to 6 
      "     "       "     "     "    "     "   17  to 20
           Final score …                       20 to 41
      How can all four sentences be true?    Answer,  time sequencing!

All four sentences are talking about the score at the end of four different quarters.   In the first quarter;  the other three quarters has not happened YET!  But today;  all four statements are true.

The way that I understand the scriptures, The Rapture happened in or about 138 AD.

The first resurrection happened around 900 AD.
       The 1000 years that Satan WAS bound in the pit ended around 1900 AD.
                 The sixth bowl judgment is poured out at that time.
    The little season that Satan is given to bring together the kings of the earth began around 1900 AD.

All of prophesy are established as to follow a certain time sequence.
    And until we recognize this fact; prophesy apears about the same as a jar of different colored jelly beans in a single jar.
       But take those jelly beans out of the jar, line them up in a sequencial order (by color)  and a different story comes into view.

Yep!  ... this is just an opinion, 
       (My opinion) of what the bible is saying. 
    It all makes sense to me, when lined up in a chronological order.
    But dump all prophesy in a single jar and it looks like a mixed up mess.

So, I believe that if I were to die today, I would either go straight to heaven or sleep in the ground until the 2nd resurrection ocurs, which is soon after the battle.

1. profile image0
      darknight444posted 12 years agoin reply to this

well it depent on youre bliefs
      but in abrahamique beliefs it s an eternal life in paradise or hell of fire

I sometimes see this as being kinda like a spider weeb, with each detail being an intersection of the web. 
          It would be easy enough to draw this spider web on a very large wall, yet being almost imposible to describe it in words.

1. profile image0

You speak here like Noam Chomsky

Just looked him up.  Interesting fella!  will read more about him.

Thnks for pointing him out to me.

My reason for believing that event horizins could exist here on earth in a much smaller degree would be ...  Does anything in the universe exist unique to itself? 
               Anything that I can imagine comes in a great variety of sizes, degrees, and flavors; located almost everywhere.

After all;  people once thought that our sun was unique in itself.

I think that everything that we think to be imposible, ...  probably "IS" someplace else.

Yes, YOU are unique. There's not another identical individual. You might have many things in common with others and nothing in common with others, but no two humans are identical. wink

I can agree with that ...  But you miss the point that I was attempting to make.
                   Why can there not be every variety of event horizons ... each individual in itself yet be only one of multitudes of similar but different events.

Each individual ant is unique yet I can not see the difference except for size and color.

Back in a couple of hours.  gotta get some meat to put on the BBQ before the football game starts.

I just wanted to point out what I did.
                  Actually, that's what you choose to perceive. wink

1. profile image0

Just for fun - -  but you rarely wink  wink

5. Jerami profile image58

Vinaya Ghimire wrote:
    According to the Hindu world view our body is composed of five elements: earth, water, fire, air and ether. After we die these elements are mixed up the respective elements.

Emile R wrote ...And that makes a lot of sense. Our essence is reabsorbed. I've always felt the consciousness will live on, but  maybe not as a separate consciousness. Possibly reabsorbed into a larger part of the whole.
    ========

Me
    Many years ago I read the "Seth" series by Jane Adams which pointed to a conclusion similar to this.
      Except she wrote that the "whole person" experienced different life situations simultaneously. That the dimensions of time separates these fragmented selves, and upon death these, (for lack of a better term) smaller selves reunited bringing together everything that they each learned together into a unified body.

Or something like that anyway. It was a long time ago that I read her books.

Don't know how much of it that I buy into?
      But it was an interesting read.

1. profile image0

Unbelievable. I wrote a hub to that effect. I'll have to look her name up and see if I can read more

Just got back home from taking my tenant to work.

So here I am for a few.
        She wrote this series of books (I think)  back around 1950.

When I read Dianetics (SP.?)by L Ron Hubbard; It had some of the same principals.

6. profile image0

Good replies - but without evidence. Something is there for sure; but what?
    If a place exists after death, then life is simplified. No worries, no cares, no hurry. We shall get a second chance.

Will we?

Or maybe this is your second chance.

1. profile image0

I see a lot of evidence to believe that.

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Without evidence it is not sure anything is there.

8. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

You're dead, does it really matter?

Are You dead, or did you leave your cocoon(body) behind like a butterfly does? Are we the cocoon or the butterfly?
      That's the point, do we die or do we simply shed something like a pair of gloves.

2. aguasilver profile image70

Depends on what happens when you die I guess?

9. profile image0

Even without evidence, people may get strong intuitions. Isaac Newton got an intuition that the apple falls because the planet pulls it. He made a difference by showing evidence.

Some people may have realized the existence of a God. Same intuition. We must help them to establish that intuition into a science, or something closer. Many things in life may not still have an explanation; but we can not deny they are real.

Evidence must be a tool for humans to discover truth - not to block it.

10. profile image0

Suppose we have only one life - then what we need to do?

Will you search for immortality, to preserve this most precious gift? Or just die because a book or a priest tells you to accept your annihilation?

Is Immortality possible?

(Because we are not sure that a God will save us in after-life. He is still an intuition without evidence.)

I disagree, as many know, I have proof.

1. profile image0

Proof that God exists? Will you explain Mikel? This discussion is getting interesting...

Dayum where have you been?

Read the Hub.

1. profile image0

I were happy if you could make it a little shorter. Whatever...

2. gabgirl12 profile image61
      gabgirl12posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The key word in one of your posts is 'we have only one life'.
      What we need to do is live it...

Immortality is a contradiction itself. There is no such thing. The definition of 'mortality' is to be liable and subject to death. This body will die and decompose and that is fact.

Our soul is defined as the animating and vital principle in humans, credited with the faculties of thought, action, and emotion and often conceived as an immaterial entity.

The immaterial entity has a choice to 'live' out its purpose in the human body or reject it and keep questioning until the body is blue in the face. (I refuse to be a smurf!).

Our spirits are the vital principle or animating force within living beings. What your immaterial entity does requires the inspiration of your spirit. What is it that drives? What makes you passionate? What pushes you forward?

When you have to ask what you need to do, then whats necessary is to find your purpose. When you know what your purpose is, you are free from  the questions that often plague people like 'are we alone in the universe' and 'the end of the world'.

Your individual nature is to explore and progress and push forward and get to another level soul wise. Your soul is what evolves, not your body and when your soul evolves it manifests in the body to prolong or delay the process of death. No other species on the planet has what we have, no matter how much more intelligent they are than us because they dont have soul and they are not  made in the image and likeness of God.

I'm not an immortal. I could probably die tomorrow. But I'm certain that I will have left a definite footprint in this life for others to follow and thats enough for me.

1. profile image0

Well, I also said 'suppose'... Suppose we have only one life - then what we need to do?

Immortality may sound like a dream, today. But many things were mere dreams before some people invented them. The list will be a big one. Why not try for immortality? Even if we fail, we will have a satisfaction, when we die,  that this dying is just inevitable, and we did our best to prevent it.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

gabgirl - well said, however if the soul/spirit are the animating force behind the body, then it's logical to assume that the soul is, in fact, immortal.  You are the sum of your soul's experience therefore you are immortal.

I believe purpose finds us, not the other way around.

11. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

I believe one of two things.

1) We cease to exist and retain no consciousness, or memories of ever having existed.
    -or-
    2) We continue to exist in some other form.

So far we have no way of knowing or proving either.

12. profile image0

Belief without evidence is religion. What we are not sure about, we must suspend our judgement there, and start investigation. This is the way of science.

We can neither prove God, nor we can disprove him. We must suspend our judgement, and try to find an evidence that he is really there. If we can, then after-life is possible.

Otherwise, it is wise to search for immortality. My subjective opinion...

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

What happens after death? Purely a mystic question. There's no reason to think anything would be after death, due to the knowledge already available.

The brain ceases to function then so does the mind(consciousness). There's no reason to think that consciousness expands when it can be measured and dissipates when death(all brain function ceases to exist) comes.

1. emrldphx profile image60
      emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are those who this isn't an important question to. Because they think it isn't important, they assume that their opinion is reality. And, because their opinion is reality, anyone who considers the question is stupid or insane.

And it looks like you've decided to assume something not said. How honest of you. roll
        Another assumption on your part and a very bad perception on top of it.
        Putting words into other people's mouth now are you. Yet, another great show of your understanding of being honest. Thank you for showing your true character.

Sorry Cagsil, I didn't mean this as a direct comment to your comment. I meant it as an observation. There are two approaches to this type of question. One is 'my opinion is', and the other is 'the truth is'.

Again, it was just a thought that occurred to me while reading your post, not a specific commentary on your words.

Although you do present your opinion more as a fact than an opinion.

2. profile image0

Dear Cagsil has provided a very good, and thought-provoking, reply.

Cagsil says: There's no reason to think anything would be after death, due to the knowledge already available.

Do you, Cagsil, believe that this 'knowledge already available' will not change within a few decades? I have heard that science changes.

And even for the sake of reasoning, if you are right, then the 'search for Immortality' becomes an urgent necessity.

I always try to do that.
        Yes, the collective knowledge will always change. Yes, science changes because it adds new knowledge and grows from that new knowledge.
        It wouldn't become an urgent necessity because "immortality" is like "infinity", it's beyond the scope of the average mind(thinker).

1. profile image0

Interesting psychology there. I appreciate that.

However, a man who is about to die, will very well understand the meaning of 'Immortality', whether he is 'an average thinker', or not. And the term 'average thinker' will cause dispute if that is properly advertised.

This is a bad assumption. They will certain see and understand that life is more precious than previously thought, but with regards to immortality? their view would not change.
            Well, you have "below" average "average" and above average?

Those who are "below" average cannot think on a higher level because when they attempt to do it gets to be too much for their mind and they get a headache. The "average" person will be able to expand on the thought process but will reach a point where they will give up before reaching the end of the thought. The "above" average will be able to understand completely.

Is that better?

1. profile image0

Great reply Cagsil. I truly appreciate this one.

If some people get any problem after they are made immortal, they we must leave an option for 'voluntary-death'; that is: if an immortal person gets bored with 'living forever', then he may choose to end that prison.

You are in a way near to the truth of human thinking-capacity. Really, if everyone could think about this life, then we had had less problem in this world.

Thank you
                Immortality isn't a prison. And, how exactly would one get bored with living forever? There's always something that can be done that has not been tried and there are other things that are so much fun to do that you would not get bored with them. wink
                If more people focused on this life, then yes there would be less problems, but the exact problem is that people seem to think that they can have an immortal life after death comes, because they are a spirit living inside a human body, but fail to understand immortality itself, much less they also don't understand consciousness either.

There are too many people who simply don't give a damn about this life and what it means, which is precisely the cause for the effects happening in the world today. They want the afterlife more than they want this life. This life is one they don't understand, but think they understand the afterlife, which is utterly ridiculous.

1. profile image0

Can we meet somewhere this Saturday? If we have good coffee, and smoke - I don't know what will happen big_smile

Your thoughts are sharp and impressive. Plus you are a poet. Nice meeting you Raymond.

lol
                    Nice to meet you as well and Thank you for your compliment. I'm honored and humbled by your words.

Secondly, a poet? Well, I have written some poems, but don't actually consider myself a poet. lol

2. profile image0

I think we can find two types - those who are immovable, and those who are movable.

We must, at least, move once the latter type. That brings good and clear conscience.

Sorry, I missed this post. I will have to agree- the immovable(those who choose ignorance and lead by ego) and the movable(those who are completely open minded and not led by ego) don't.
                    The immovable must see their failures and accept that they are not of good or clear conscience. The others don't, because they are already good and have a clear conscience.

3. Disappearinghead profile image60

You raise some very good points in your post Cagsil. How can they understand the afterlife if they don't understand this one? I like it. smile

Thank you. smile

14. Michael Graves profile image59
    Michael Gravesposted 12 years ago

I myself am not of a particularly religious bent, but the question of what happens to us after death is one that has been of deep concern to many people throughout history... deep enough a concern that many of the greatest thinkers in history devoted much of their time to contemplating this very issue. It is rather easy for atheists, or those who like myself have no firmly established religious beliefs, to dismiss the issue by saying, "Nothing happens. We're dead. End of report."

I think that this casual answer to the question is misleading, though, for a couple of reasons. First off, science itself seems to support the idea that it is possible for some part of us to survive beyond death. Science tells us that consciousness is a function of bio-electric activity in the brain. Since when we die, all measurable bio-electrical activity ceases, the reasons for scientific dismissal of the concept of endurance beyond death makes some sense. However, the law of the conservation of energy tells us that all of the bio-electricity produced by our brains throughout our lives does not dissipate... it can't, because energy cannot be destroyed, it merely changes form.

So what happens to it, that energy that we release over the course of our lives? Well, if science is to be believed, it doesn't go away, it simply goes elsewhere and does other things. Does that energy survive in any cohesive form? Who knows... I, for one, don't have the theological or the scientific expertise to have a well developed theory on that particular point. But I will say that, whether in a cohesive form such as the "soul", or as disjointed energy strata, all evidence points to some remnant of ourselves continuing to exist after we die.

I am also hesitant to dismiss the religious viewpoint. I have studied enough of world theology (not just the three prime monotheistic faiths, but the pagan and polytheistic beliefs of various cultures) enough to see that most religious doctrines seem to have a certain cohesion to them... almost as if they are all reflections of a common principle, cast in different mirrors. Perhaps religion, as we know it and have known it through the ages, is a limited attempt to grasp the significance of a universal truth.

As science advances, and we discover more and more of the esoteric applications of disciplines such as quantum physics, we begin to see that the primary difference between advanced science and mysticism is their viewpoint... they seem to be observing many of the same phenomena.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

I would add that in order to answer the question, can we assume that the energy you seek in your question was initially "borrowed" from somewhere else, that it was energy that had dissipated from elsewhere or, based on your argument, from someone else?

It's also been argued that the atoms which once had made up Adolf Hitler could be in body of a Jewish watchmaker living in New York. wink

If so, then that would essentially answer the question, that our lives are merely a small link in the chain of sharing the energy in our universe.

Nice.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

Exactamundo!

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Well Stated.

It could also be argued that the body continues to exist. Like the bio-electric energy, it too simply changes form.

3. profile image0

Great reply Michael Graves. Thank you.

15. Michael Graves profile image59
    Michael Gravesposted 12 years ago

Perhaps that's the true meaning of divinity... the collection of all the energy ever released within the universe? I think that all matter and energy came from elsewhere, at some point or other... Since neither matter nor energy can be truly destroyed (so say the prevalent scientific theories), it seems reasonable to assume that all things that currently exist, and ever will exist, are remnants, reflections, or new forms of things that have come before.

This is the point I tried to get across in another forum.  I believe it's not that we will all come together some day and be one big god again, but that the metaphor of god is 'the highest, purest level to which we can aspire in the spirit plane' - 'the collective consciousness of good' - (please don't get started on the subjectivity question - that's taking place in the 'term' forum.)

16. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"What happens after death?"

First, you hear the sounds of bowling pins being knocked over.

Then your eyes open.

You are in a bowling alley.

It is the year 2525.

You are standing in front of an arcade game.

Your game has concluded.

lol

Maybe.

2. emrldphx profile image60

Let me tell you, I think we took technology too far in this case... who wants to play a game with cancer, poverty, suffering, and difficulties?

I'd like to have a word with the programmers!

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is indeed possible that we wake up in a prison ward instead...

Lol, paradigm, you're one funny cyber-person... or AI construct... or robot... or one of my other personalities using the forums under a different name...

Not really sure which.

Paradigm is all of the above and one heck of a pipe smoker. (private joke)  Seriously, could you imagine paradigm suddenly waking up in a prison ward?  I'm not sure who would survive that game, him or the inmates.  lol  cool

3. profile image0

May be time-travel, if becomes available, make a solution in some mathematically logical answer to this death thing

1. profile image0

I am not sure...

2. Jerami profile image58

You might be right!

Time travel is not posible within a simgle dimension. We would have to step over into a different dimension (like steping into an elivator) and then steping back over into this dimension.

"Kinda like" it being imposible to climb the stairway from the ground floor of a building up to the 90th floor, in a minute and a half. ...
          Physically Imposible without steping into the elivator/different dimension.

17. profile image0

I am not a specialist in Time-Traveling - but I guess we need a condition where physical laws are so much distorted that they become plastic, and when we can manipulate them as we wish.

Some people are currently searching that rare condition inside a Black Hole; I hope they will exist after they enter they heads in that cosmic swirl...

I don't remember where I read it or who said it...?  But ...

I read a theory that event horizons such as this (though to varying degrees) exists even here on earth.  I do not see why this can not be true.
        But then again, I do not know!

18. profile image0

Humans have a genius for faking anything. I will be surprised if they can not fake an event horizon

This is true.
      Fake it, why fake it when it could happen? And, if it could happen at least once, then it's possible that it could happen more than once. wink

19. profile image0

But the question is - did it happen? Does an event horizon exist on Earth?

If it does, then we can safely spare the counterfeiters

20. profile image0
    Paddington Greenposted 12 years ago

I am sceptical of many claims of afterlife experiences. And while most scientists do not believe in an afterlife, there are some who make claims based on their understanding of science that they say shows that the mind can operate when the brain ceases to function.  Logically, this would make little sense, because our experiences are entirely physical.  The fact that people suffer from mental health problems when they have a chemical inbalance in the brain, would suggest that the brain is the cause of the  mind.  However, some near death experiences, in which the person has later described events, which they could not have seen, because they happened at a great distance and at a time when they were near to death, does make me wonder.  And it is much nicer to believe that there is a scientific explanation, to account for such experiences which at least allows for the possibility of mind existing without the brain, even though the majority of scientists do not agree with such findings.

21. Jerami profile image58

Cagsil wrote:
    I just wanted to point out what I did.
    Actually, that's what you choose to perceive.

Phenom said ..
      Just for fun - -  but you rarely wink 
    Posted 12 hours ago

====================

Me
    Cagsil; I think I got it?   Wasn't goina say nothing but then ...

Thought I'd say thanks for the wink,  I think?

Okay, then explain to me what you think you got? Just so we(you and I) can see if we're on the same page.
      You're not sure?

I'll be happy asuming that I do.

And NO!  I'm not twisted;  I don't think.

Oh okay. I guess I'll leave it alone. hmm

22. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Those who fulfill the purpose of life as set by the Creator God will be rewarded new life with entirely new dimensions that cannot be conceived in this life.

Those who fail to fulfill the purpose of life as set by the Creator God will not be rewarded; that is their torment.

1. profile image0

Fascinating story paarsurrey!

Are you taking part in the ongoing HubPages contest?  ...Please write a short story on this this one

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

lol We're tormented by believers in life and tormented in the afterlife because we aren't believers.

1. profile image0

You speak like you have seen after-life...will you please share that experience?

23. Rishy Rich profile image72
    Rishy Richposted 12 years ago

@ Parr: The purpose of life is beyond praying 5 times a day...& beyond your understanding

1. profile image51

It has been explained by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad- the Promised Messiah of our era in the light of rational arguments from Quran:

"THIRD QUESTION"
      "The Object of Man’s Life and the Means of its Attainment"
      Page: 164
      http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Ph … -Islam.pdf

24. profile image0

You see  paarsurrey, I myself can post links to some Hindu scriptures that can baffle anyone who is religious. Those words on death, which you will find in the Vedas, or in the Gita - are of supreme philosophical value.

But unfortunately, they are worthless. I can not live upto them. They provide no evidence that may compel me to accept them. This thing 'evidence', separates meaning from superstition.

1. profile image51

No compulsion at all; enjoy your free will, please.

1. profile image0

I can not enjoy a a free will which depends upon superstition.

But you can enjoy a will that is free and has nothing to do with a mystic concept. smile

1. profile image0

Call it without-evidence-concept

smile

It's actually called "mysticism". lol

1. profile image0

In want of a better word...

25. Anirudh Madhav profile image59
    Anirudh Madhavposted 12 years ago

true...

26. Druid Dude profile image58
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Well, now, that tears it Cag...by your definition...I can't be a mystic. I just happen to be aware that the proof I saw was for me. You? Well, you have to seek your own proof...your own blessing. Good luck, man.

roll

2. profile image0

Do you have any problem sharing your proof with others?

27. Rhonda Elisha profile image59
    Rhonda Elishaposted 12 years ago

My task as a servant of the Father and my Lord Yeshua is to follow the direction of the Holy Spirit and share to others freely at no cost nor the tic for tac of all that is freely giving to me. My reward is knowing my Lord is with me and loves me and my Holy Spirit is my appointed protector and Instructor. My faith and hope being in my future home (The New Jerusalem). That is my awaited reward. No, the Holy Spirit has no problem sharing God's proof's with those his creation!

28. profile image0

If you have the proof, then please share that.

29. profile image0

I don't have a blind hatred for God; and if I see the proof that he exists - I will immediately make a friendship with Him.

30. Jerami profile image58

First, Emile R; I am sorry about the lapse in time responding.  I do it all the time. Someone is always coming over  OR  my A.D.D. kicks in and I'm off washing dishes or something else just as useless.
    -  =  -  = 
       I am sure that I agree with that which you said in that post. At least the way which I understood it.
    ====================================

Emile R
    Ok. But, are you sure we agree? I honestly think the whole point is to come to an understanding of who the Divine is, and then understand the text through those eyes. If you don't, then I don't see how it makes sense. The Guy's all over the place. The question is why?

= - = - = -

me
    Abraham didn't know who the divine was! He just knew that it was. 
    I don't know that knowing everything about what and why "The Divine" said to everyone he said those things to, is relative to me?

============================
    Emile R
    Those who accept that a vengeful god was vengeful for vengeance sake in the Old Testament, and call themselves followers, scare the devil out of me. If you start with the premise 'God so loved the world' you get something completely different out of the text. You can't fall back on anything prior to that as any other than a history lesson in the nature of man. If you look at the anything prior to the teachings of Christ, and use them as a guide, you can't follow the teachings of Christ.

The point I'm making, I see as the opposite of yours; but we've talked in the past, so maybe I'm simply not understanding your post. I don't think the text was meant to be a puzzle. I think it is self explanatory if you run everything through the sieve of his words in the gospels. And attempt to understand where everyone else was coming from. How they got it wrong, or right.

=  -  =  -  = 

The way that I sift all of this out is to first divide the prophesy separate from the "God so loved the world" type of scripture. That and the ...    the  " love thy neighbor as thy self" scriptures do in fact mean different things to different people as they should.
      But for the ...  "this is going to happen and then that is going to happen" kind of message has NO Private interpretation at ALL.
      This, I believe is where and when people get confused. They marry these concepts together.

We may change our perspective of past events, but the events themselves are never changed.
        If we believe the prophesy at all, Our views as to what they mean can be a 1000 fold, yet the events prophesied   or   the message itself, stays singular in nature.

OR ... something like that?

31. profile image53
    ExperienceToKnowposted 12 years ago

I, as many of you, am curious as to what happens after death. I am young and cannot explain anything, but I wish to post my thoughts on the matter.

If we were to have a higher purpose set to us by a Higher Being, as is with most cases of reincarnation, how do we know what we must achieve if we cannot remember what we did on our 'past life'? Will we automatically know our path along our current life? Will we undo or redeem our past mistakes by mere instinct?

And yet...for some reason we are born with certain personality traits. Some babies smile and laugh, some are more silent and reserved. Our parents guide us through our childhood, and yet their values and teachings...we interpret them in our own way. We are not born...empty...we automatically, as mere babies, know what comforts or discomforts us.

What of the persons who go 'crazy' due to extreme circumstances? Since they no longer have an organized thought process...have they lost their consiousness? What is consiousness exactly? Is it the ability to know right from wrong? And what is 'right'? What is 'wrong'? We cannot hate or kill according to the bible, yet...when the humans forgot about God, what did he do? He killed them all and only let his favorite and his family live...Wasn't that a 'sin', what God did? At many other times, he got angry because of our disobedience (Eva) and even used punishement (birth pain).

Yet that pain can be scientifically explained. It is also a proven fact that pain is key to a human's survival...

Why would God 'test' us, if he knows the future, and knows what we are going to do anyways?

Perhaps I am getting off topic here, so I apologize. Still, I would appreciate a response that could help me understand the topic a bit more. I have a lot more to say (and ask), but it is just too much. Please do feel free to ask where my points of view come from, as I crave a nice exchange of ideas and opinions.

If somebody gotta tell YA ....    it ain't going to sink in as deep as when you learn it for your self.

There is a lot of people in your life that is just a waiting for you to figure it out ...  SOssss they can celebrate with Ya; ......................... when you get there.    somebody is still      "A" waitin for me  bless their their little hearts.             Jesus told them to wait for me!   and they are.
      Is somebody waiting for you to figure it out?    I think there is whether YA think so or not!

Such is the mystery of life!   Please pardon the sp. and gramer.

1. profile image53
        ExperienceToKnowposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...Jerami, for some reason your reply speaks deep to me, and while I am still trying to fully understand, I now realize that someone, as you mentioned, is waiting for me...perhaps not on the level you are speaking of, but...they've always been waiting...maybe they don't even know it themselves, but I'm sure of it now...

The irony of my username compared to this...it surprises me...Thank you for your deep reply...

2. profile image0

I have an answer for you, ExperienceToKnow, a relatively small answer - which is - try to learn this thing, which is Universal Love. You don't need to spend time here - perhaps anywhere. I have failed to learn that, partially if, that's why I am spending time here. You may need one more thing in the process - which is Truth.

1. profile image53

Ýour answer is a good one, PhenomWriter. I've searched what you have recommended and while I know that it will take time for me to understand completely, I also know that it can be done. Perhaps I just need to let go of these questions which only burden me, and instead learn not by asking, but by experiencing the answers through my own life...

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57

Wise is the one who says he does not know. Why have I been made wise? It does me no good. I can't contain the murmurings of my heart, or the blabberings of my mouth. I search endlessly with endless searching . . . looking for the place where I last left my brush. Alas, the paint may dry before I find it and the brush will be ruined. I regret that I answered the phone and made a cup of coffee. It is vanity. The coffee grew cold while I was searching for my brush. I hope that I have helped you as you wander aimlessly about searching for that which you may find. In the end, it is good for a man to spend his days writing hubs, placing capsules and suggesting links. I hope you have found peace in my words as I have said them in hope of a great return for the yearnnings of your heart.

1. profile image0

Do you use Acrylics or Oil?

I love oils and I can make them sing. The problem with oils is they almost alwas crack in time (linseed oil) and I am allergic to pine (real fun in Florida). With quality acrylics, the pigment is not suspended as in oils or latex. It is an integral part of the molecular structure of the polymer. I like them because they dry fast and never crack. They will outlast the oils and the surface will not get darker and darker with time. If you work with them for about 40 years, you can pass the painting off for an oil if you have a mind to. I will be glad to field any arguments on the subject.

I can save the brush, but it will never be the same.

2. profile image53

WD Curry 111 - Your comments keep enlightening me to no end, my friend.  What has been done in the past shall remain in the past forever, so why should I worry about something that has already been done? I am wasting my present time, the time I have to learn not to find out what has been done in the past, but what should be done in the future. If something remains and lingers from the past and into the present day, then I should learn with the time that I have now how I can repair the damage that's been done in the past today, so that there may be a better tomorrow. Thank you again for your words...

Well said my friend . . . well said.

32. Jerami profile image58

How many times has everyone waited for somebody else, that we love, to figure something out??? !

I'm waiting.      do I hear an  A-MEN?

33. profile image0

"How strange is the lot of us mortals! Each of us is here for a brief sojourn; for what purpose we know not, though sometimes sense it. But we know from daily life that we exist for other people first of all for whose smiles and well-being our own happiness depends."  - Albert Einstein

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5742587.jpg

34. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

If we achieve the purpose of life set by the Creator God; we are endowed another life with total new dimensions otherwise we don't get it.

1. profile image0

Which was exactly what Einstein was saying...

1. profile image51

Please quote from him. Thanks

1. profile image0

Wasn't he saying that?

2. Cagsil profile image70

Einstein was overlooking the power of the individual. wink

1. profile image0

Should I quote Bertrand Russell? Nietzsche?

Thus Spoke Zarathustra...

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5743734_f248.jpg

The Einstein quote was fine. I was just saying that it overlooked the power of the individual. That's all. If I need to explain then I shall-

His quote mentioned purpose, but failed to point out that purpose isn't granted or given, however, it is created by the individual. smile

1. profile image0

subtle thought...

Yes, but extremely powerful when adapted by the individual. smile

1. profile image0

break free...                 -this word came to my mind hearing you here.

One question, just for fun - If you were to spend an afternoon with any of these three persons, namely - Bertrand Russell,  Albert Einstein, or Friedrich Nietzsche  - whom will you choose to talk with?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5743868_f248.jpg

Einstein. smile

2. Cagsil profile image70

More BS from the religious.

If you don't have anything intelligent to say, you must be Cagsil.

Religion is BS. What more do you want? At least I'm being honest about it.

You are not being honest to yourself.

This coming for YOU who spouts the BS of religion. And, you talk about me not being honest with myself. WOW! You take the cake dude.

I guess you see the reflection of your own dishonesty. Cause, I am always consciously active about being honest with myself. So, if you seem to think I'm not being honest, then you're only seeing something within yourself.

Good luck getting around your ego to see the truth.

You are in serious denial of how boring you are.

Denial? Again, you describe yourself. lol

Deleted

2. Dave Mathews profile image60

WD Curry: You waste your energy trying to have a serious discussion with Cagsil, you know this. Don't incourage him he is an antagonist who draws his pleasure from upsetting others with his Atheist dribble.

Hey Dave, how dishonest of you. I'm not an Atheist, regardless of what you think. Secondly, I don't antagonize anyone. I only point the flaws in their thinking.

3. profile image51

Drawing attention to yourself again Paar. roll

1. profile image51

To the issue in the thread; the core issue.

How can you do that when you cannot recognize people? Or truth for that matter. You bumping your own statement which is false and anyone with a little bit of common sense and education would realize it, is utterly ridiculous.

It goes to show you're not bumping the thread and want to address the core issue, but you want attention.

Your own actions work against you, yet you're not paying close enough attention to yourself to see it. That's the real shame.

1. profile image51

You can elaborate on the topic of the thread "What happens after death?".

Every human being value life and tries utmost to live; there is a natural urge in the human beings to live; this urge can be interpreted to mean that there will be a life , after, this one.

Being an atheist you are perhaps perplexed at that.

Feel free to express yourself fully on the topic of the thread if you have anything good to say.

35. profile image0

I thought it was a community? ...little subconsciously fighting community?

You are both brilliant people - we all have different colors, and we must mix those colors to make a great painting. Otherwise...we are just lines.

36. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Are you two really gonna argue over who is the biggest attention ho?

Seriously?

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5751322_f248.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)