Vitamin C - Why humans are not real omnivores

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Herbivore Lion profile image57
    Herbivore Lionposted 12 years ago

An omnivore is not a creature that just happens to eat both plants and meat; it is a creature that can thrive on a diet made up entirely of meat or entirely of plants. In order to do this you must be able to produce both vitamin C and the amino acid taurine within your body. Carnivores can produce vitamin C but not taurine. With herbivores it's the other way round. Scurvy happened to humans as a result of not getting enough vitamin C into their bodies, but no ship's cat ever got scurvy as they are naturally carnivorous.

Animals are placed in the categories of herbivore, omnivore and carnivore due to what they NEED to eat, not due to what they CAN eat. If animals were put in dietary categories based entirely on what they CAN consume then pretty much all of them would be classified as omnivores. Cows for example are forced to eat dog and sheep meat in factory farms and in the wild they must occasionally consume the odd insect when eating grass. And while domestic cats are obligate carnivores they do willfully enjoy the odd fruit or vegetable.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5293837_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5293849.jpg

1. martinrocks_88 profile image61
      martinrocks_88posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? cat is an omnivore? i wasn't aware of that and i have never seen a cat eat any fruits.

Herbivore Lionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please re-read the post. Cats are not omnivores but can eat a vegan diet if it is supplemented with synthesized taurine which is the same type of taurine used by the regular cat food industry because the meat is of such low quality it loses most of its natural taurine.

http://www.veggiepets.com/shop/about-ve … -cats.html

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
          Melissa A Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Poor cats.

Given any thought to the miserable farm animals used to feed cats? Nutrition wise vegan cat food is no more artificial than regular cat food. A good thing though it is not made up of the diseased rejected parts of animals. Also if you believe it cruel to feed carnivores vegetables then presumably you would think it cruel to feed herbivores meat which is what many farm factory farm animals are fed.

Another point most if not all commercial pet food is padded out with grains and vegetables so that would mean most owners are already cruelly feeding their pets vegetables.

Sounds like your issue is with bad pet food, not with feeding animals animals. I purchase the highest quality food I can afford, it's expensive enough to purchase meat for humans that is humanely raised. I do not support bad pet food or factory farming anymore than feeding obligate carnivores the improper diet for ethical, cultural, or religious reasons. I look for pet foods that are not corn and soy based, preferably with human grade ingredients. Although, carnivores can certainly eat and benefit from many forms of plant based foods. This is just not the ONLY source of nutrition they should receive, and I think the same goes for many people.

2. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

..but man, is steak yummy!!!!

Can't we just re-classify steak as a vegetable so everyone can be happy?

http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/370184-10023-46.jpg

That would be a perversion of science.

2. martinrocks_88 profile image61

Gonna sign up a petition for this great cause..LOL. STAKES!!!!

3. Herbivore Lion profile image57

The ultimate point of this post is to disprove the commonly held presumptions that humans are omnivores. The canine argument is rather ridiculous as horses and camels have canines. Obviously they don't eat meat. Watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSeMRQTjcsA

Science does not work with an agenda.

2. Herbivore Lion profile image57

"Science is but a perversion of itself unless it has as its ultimate goal the betterment of humanity." - Nikola Tesla, the man who invented the 20th century.
        All science clearly has an agenda. There is just good agenda and evil agenda. The invention of fire and the wheel were about the betterment of humanity and therefore good. Vivisection is about sadistic imbeciles making a lot of money out of torturing animals and therefore evil.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
          Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fire - deemed to be a result of nature and naturally occurring phenomenon resulted in the discovery of, not the invention of. We humans, in later times, learned and discovered how to harness it better.

2. Melissa A Smith profile image95

Gee, I did not say anything about vivisection. I said something about people seeing what they want to see, in terms of science. It's called "wishful thinking", the opposite of intellectual through process.

3. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

As the ultimate vegetarian, I eat carnivores so as to do my part in ridding the world of meat-eating species....

one bite at a time

1. martinrocks_88 profile image61

LOL

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I'm a Laplander; I have to eat meat.

5. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

As Bill Bailey says -
    I'm a vegetarian. I'm not strict; I eat fish, and duck. Well, they're nearly fish, aren't they? They're semi-submerged a lot of the time, they spend a lot of time in the water, they're virtually fish, really. And pigs, cows, sheep, anything that lives near water, I'm not strict. I'm sort of like a post-modern vegetarian; I eat meat ironically.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)