Traffic has dropped from 1800 to 600 in few days

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Laura Marie profile image60
    Laura Marieposted 12 years ago

My traffic has taken a dramatic nosedive in the past 3 days or so. I was doing really well and was happy with earnings from the ad program and eBay (disappointed with adsense, but hey you cant have everything), BUT now my traffic continues to drop day by day and it is at the lowest since after the first panda, of 600!

Is anyone else experiencing the same?

1. kmackey32 profile image65
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My traffic has also dropped a bit. I was thinking maybe it was because of the weekend when my traffic always goes down. Pluss there was a Holiday in there. Maybe Monday things will take off.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
      LindaSmith1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have the traffic that others may have, but I have blue arrows on almost every hub, whic is unusual.

3. Jerrico Usher profile image56
      Jerrico Usherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Traffic is something that goes up and down, sometimes it dips- it's not personal, especially if your traffic was up before. It's often due to things like people going out (sunday's a lot of people go to church, swap meets (after?), and a variety of things happen all the time that pull people away from the computer- especially a sunny day following a gloomy one (in Oregon it was cloudy and ugly yesterday).

People often panic about traffic when it dips suddenly but keep in mind it's like any business- some days you get a lot of customers, others you get none at all- the business doesn't like the dip in sales but it also doesn't think because a day or even a week of dead times means the company is failing.

It's also not always the search engines or even hubpages fault (most people tend to "blame" the bigger entities that provide the venue for the traffic but like your business the venue is just an opportunity.

The actual traffic is based on people actually showing up- interests change and a dip can just mean thousands of people changed their interest that day- possibly due to some news report, family showing up, etc...

I wouldn't worry about it unless you go months with no traffic. You'll likely see your traffic dip UP within the week.

Keep in mind traffic works on (where you should be focusing on) a "trending" basis, sometimes the trend is up sometimes down, sometimes it stays at a certain level. Just like we tend to get overly excited when traffic hits an all time high, we tend to get highly dissappointed to the point of panic (the opposite end of the spectrum) when it dips too low- but the reality is you should average it over at least a month to get a valid daily traffic "heart beat".

Focusing too much on the day to day trends will freak you out, then make you overly happy (dopamine drop, dopamine release based on emotion), it will likely make you bi-polar lol, because traffic is bi-polar smile

Just my two cents. This is my experience. A business often will plan their day based on the exact day a year before- my fiance works at a gift shop and they actually plan their staffing according to last years numbers and today's "trend" over the past month-

Also comparing this month (full) to last years November and so on. They don't worry about the day to day even though they track it- where the overall earnings are concerned- because it would drive someone nuts.

I hope this helps, if not or you don't agree just ignore this post smile This is what I live by, but that's just me.

1. profile image52
        provobluetangoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm new at all this so this is really helpful!

4. CWanamaker profile image94
      CWanamakerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah my traffic is unusually low as well. Hopefully it's just because of the holiday weekend.

5. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just joined HubPages, but I do know that the (continued) Google updates are affecting a great many webpages.  I just posted an extensive article about SEO that might offer some tips to increase the importance of your Hubs in the eyes of Google.  SEO takes time and study, but it is well worth the effort.

2. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Ditto

3. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 12 years ago

same here.

4. profile image30
    thefitfemstudioposted 12 years ago

I own a womens health site and my traffic went down also. I was worried at first. Thanks for the post.

5. arizonataylor profile image80
    arizonataylorposted 12 years ago

MY traffic crashed on October 13 and did a very slight rebound three or four days ago.

6. prairieprincess profile image93
    prairieprincessposted 12 years ago

My traffic up until this weekend has been slowly climbing and then since Friday, it's been going down, more than for the typical weekend slump. I was wondering if I was the only one.

1. prairieprincess profile image93
      prairieprincessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I neglected to put the comma in. It should read, "My traffic, up until this weekend, has been slowly climbing ...

Typo -- haven't had coffee yet brain!

7. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

When you wake up from your nap, I'll tell you the straight truth. I live on the Space Coast. They just busted some Estonians who were hijacking serious net traffic to the computers in their basement. A tech (friend of mine) caught it at NASA. They worm-holed in to browsers with all of the sweet stuff they learned in IT and SEO school. There are thousands like them all over the world.

We are at war, but you wouldn't know it by the way we act. That's all I'll say right now. Big Brother is watching. Whatever happens  . . . don't take the mark.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56

lol

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news … ackers.ars

I apreciate the appreciation, but this part is no laughing matter.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here is a link so you know . . . I might be joking, but this is no joke.
      http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news … ackers.ars

I apologize I wasn't laughing about or at you, just at the irony that is the world today- no offense meant. Believe me I get how possible this is and have seen things like this happen a lot lately.

8. homesteadbound profile image82
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

My last few days has been down more than 60 percent

My traffic has been up 42%... it's just trends folks... this is why a balanced portfolio is best, although Homesteadbound your the most balanced portfolio I've ever seen since my account LOL, but maybe my topics just seem to be trending now and yours not- next week it will likely switch the other way around... the important thing, however- is that my income hasn't changed regardless of what traffic I'm seeing- still doing about the same (meaning climbing about 20 cents a day consistently). Just add more hubs, that's what I'm doing- at about 20-40 hubs a day lol, if you got the content that is... I'm out of "writing" mode and into "building writing into hubs" mode lately...  but that's likely why my numbers are up when likely they'd of gone down too...

9. bangingbeauty profile image56
    bangingbeautyposted 12 years ago

My traffic also has the tendency to drop during the weekends. I was worried about it the last time, but then it started picking up on a Monday and continued on during the weekdays. Some of the other hubbers have also reported facing the same situation so I guess it is nothing to worry about.

I noticed that too- the weekends tend to be dead but ironically my earnings only go down a few dollars...

10. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

There is a natural weekly cylcle of traffic, during which your traffic can vary by 20-30% according to the time of week.

There are also usually drops in traffic on public holidays.

But there are also cases of people "plunging", where people lose around 95% of traffic within 24 hours, which has been going on since August.

It's difficult to know for certain which you are, but I would maybe guess you are a type of plunger?

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We like to be called 'graspers' now, LOL, as in 'grasping at any theory to get our traffic back'.  Sound a bit more pro-active! smile

11. Azure11 profile image85
    Azure11posted 12 years ago

I read that last week there was a small change in the google search algorithm that favoured newer content, I don't know if that might have affected anyone (if indeed it is true)

1. Laura Marie profile image60
      Laura Marieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes was it called Google caffeine or something? If so perhaps I need to update my content.

2. kmackey32 profile image65
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

IDK about that. My oldest hubs get the best traffic.

1. Azure11 profile image85
        Azure11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess in terms of hubpages your whole subdomain would be counted as a website so as long as you have some recent hubs or updates then it would be counted as being up to date - but as I say I am not sure how true this is anyway.

Our subdomain/acct is treated both as a website and each hub as a web page. Google is more about the individual pages these days than a whole site in any respect.

Although the site as a whole/subdomain as a whole are still important it's the individual pages they are (seem to be) concentrating on because of their new updates concentrating on "fast" "quality" content. In a way they are treating each page as a site all it's own but also the site/subdomain itself second.

12. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

Its ok, traffic is picking back up today. Its always best for me on Mondays. smile

13. hardlymoving profile image90
    hardlymovingposted 12 years ago

Welcome to the traffic nosedive club.  If your readers have been using the google search engine to get to your articles, then its google's program that's decided to lower your articles' ranking.   If you find that hard to believe, do a test search on one of your most popular article using another search engine (like bing, dogpile, altavista, etc.) and compare the results with google.  You'll probably see a huge difference.  Its as though google is penalizing you for being successful in drawing an audience by pushing your articles to a high page number when a reader does a google search.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)