Marijuana.

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (170 posts)
  1. Brandon Mallo profile image57
    Brandon Malloposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5757421_f248.jpg
    For the legalization? Against? What's your take on everything?

1. profile image0
      icountthetimesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The "war on drugs" doesn't appear to be very successful, so perhpas a different strategy is needed. Note that I'm saying that everything should be legalised, but we do need common sense solutions.

1. Felixedet2000 profile image58
        Felixedet2000posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Drug addiction is a personal choice, human are free spirit, this sort of  war never end for eternity, it will live with us for all ages.

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the war on drugs is very successful and drug addiction is not a choice. Thankfully correct awareness and education on these matters are.  Thanks smile

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
            Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

??? hmm I have to disagree with this one. The war on drugs is the biggest failure in law enforcement history. Prohibition coming in third place right behind the second place standing of prostitution.

1. profile image0

Mikel I was referring to just that in I believe the war on drugs is nuclear and successful in the eyes of those making millions from the fact our babies are dyeing.

The war on drugs was a strategic bumper sticker that the government is still gaining everything from with no regard for horror and death

Sorry my anger causes sarcasm that doesn't always make sense.

Great to see you by the way

smile

You Too... smile

(But I still don't understand hmm)

1. profile image0

its me, no know english ha

war on drugs fuels the country so the money it generates for the murders cops to dealers to politicians make them think they are a success and winning behind doors when basically winning to them is knowing death isn't enough for them to admit there can't be a war on drugs if no one is being saved helped or improved

I am sorry Mikel. I find this hard to articulate because I don't believe there is a program war on drugs because things are only getting worse hmm:

ps so jealous if your still on that sailboat big_smile

The war on drugs is only profitable to the drug lords and the drug supplier nations, and the puppet politicians that are financed by those countries. The war on drugs costs the people of the United States tons of money and is a complete failure.

I'm not on the Sailboat anymore, I had to sell it (give it away) so I could eat. I'm homeless now, living as best I can out of my truck. (nothing to be jealous of). Thank Goodness for free WiFi!

2. MikeNV profile image67
      MikeNVposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is a lot of money being made keeping it illegal.

3. Borsia profile image39
      Borsiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A few weeks ago I saw an interview with the current "drug czar" where they asked him what he saw as the downside to legalizing.
      One of his top reasons was that it would be a terrible blow to the prison industry.
      I was absolutely dumb struck. I mean I know that they are horrifically corrupt but to defend keeping it illegal in order to imprison people from a financial standpoint!
      May he forever burn in hell and all of his fellows with him.
      They actually have the gall to say that they should ruin peoples lives to support their rotting carcases.
      Another reason to vote for Dr. Paul and get these creeps out of office.
      I was equally astounded that the interviewer didn't challenge him on it.

2. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

It has been researched and found  that Marijuana has a propensity to bring on mental illness.

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Name one case or one person who died from smoking it.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Putting another nail in the coffin of the marijuana myth is a report in the November issue of the British Journal of Psychiatry with lead author Killian Welch saying “"It is now accepted by most psychiatrists that smoking cannabis increases an individual's risk of psychosis, and more specifically schizophrenia." But his findings go a step further and state “People with a family history of schizophrenia are particularly vulnerable to the psychotomimetic effects of the drug, and are likely at particular elevated risk of developing schizophrenia if they use cannabis."

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
          Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read the abstract; it says that using MJ increases the risk of psychosis, but doesn't say by how much.

Also, it doesn't seem to answer the following important question:
          Do people with a tendency for psychosis also tend to use marijuana, or does the use of marijuana cause people who wouldn't normally become psychotic to do so?

This study shows correlation; no argument there. I'm not sure that causation necessarily follows, though, or has been shown. Do you have the ability to show us the data from the study?

1. barryrutherford profile image75
            barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I here what your saying I have a old freind who used marijuana & I can tell you without a shadow of doubt he was paranoid whilst using the Marj drug and bits in between. Years later after he quit he was a different person-Psychosis free

2. profile image56
            notworkifuloveitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seriously? You're saying that even though there MAY be causation you're willing to take the risk? If the only way to find out is to use it, is the possible result worth the escape from reality you get from it? ...and it doesn't say by how much it increases the risk? These are words I would expect to hear coming out of the mouth of an addict. But I'm sure you don't believe it's addictive.
            Whoops! Not for you, Barry, this was for Jeff. New at this. Maybe I should put down the blunt!  LOL

"You're saying that even though there MAY be causation you're willing to take the risk?"
              No. I never said that, or anything remotely like it. You just accused me of being a drug addict, which is both false and pretty darn rude. Retract your accusation.

1. profile image56
                notworkifuloveitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I did no such thing. I said that this is the kind of rationalization that addicts use to justify their continuing to use. If you're not an addict, just say so, but don't make accusations about accusations that were never made.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image57
        WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bob Marley.

Don't get me wrong . . . I used to grow my own. In Florida, if you plant in the fall, it buds out immediately. Of course, you can't help topping it as often as possible. In a few weeks, you have a bud ball. When cold weather hits, especially a light frost, the plant responds by putting out a thick layer of clear droplets of pure resin. It drops the bigger leaves and the dwarfs that remain turn purple on the under side. When it comes time, you cut the plant (it is only a foot or two high) at the base, let it wither, don't trim it, twist the whole thing in a spiral and let it dry. Put it in a gift box and give it to a friend for Christmas.   
        http://wdcurry111.hubpages.com/hub/me-stuff

I don't smoke anymore. Well . . . maybe sometimes, but not often (don't tell them at church). Stigmatizing someone for smoking weed isn't a joke. It speaks to the imbecilic, neurotic personality of American lawmakers, who were probably in a bad mood from a whiskey hangover when they passed the law. Do the research . . . the main thrust of anti-marijuana law was directed against Mexicans, who ethnocentric Americans wanted to drive out. It escalated from there.

The war on drugs is a war on people. It is a war on the poor. If you want to hit yourself in the head with a hammer . . . go ahead. It is a free country.
        Notice that I don't have a fake identity here (that is me in the picture, but I quit wearing the hat). I am serious about making the laws more reasonable. It should be legal for adults.

1. mom101 profile image60
          mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

wd, I have tried and tried hard to weigh the pros and cons of legalizing this plant.

You say it, drug war, is on people. I don't listen much to news. It is just too depressing. I don't go to mexico, therefore, I don't know what happens there.

i know a few people who smoke the stuff and they are really good people. They will tell you straight up, they smoke because they are hooked and have been since their teen years. They can't get a regular job, even though they want to, for the fact they can't pass a test. Most of them have had beautiful families that just fall apart because of the addiction. You know, skip the bills,buy the smoke. I do not say that being mean. It is sad, and there is no easy or kind way to say it, but it rips my heart to think about it.

These people are hard workers. Good people. Do anything they could to help you.

The war on drugs you say is a war on the poor. I have to disagree with that. I mean, from what I see, these people I just mentioned. They work on jobs that are like odd jobs, daily cash paying jobs. They make dang good money, more than I do. Money is not the problem. Pot ain't cheap.

Ten bucks a joint. I mean, damn. Not exactly cheap. I couldn't do it just for that factor alone.

What I know about weed you can write on the back of a match stick.

If people ingest it, how does it react? Does it give the same effects as smoking it?

1. profile image0

great post thank you smile

2. WD Curry 111 profile image57

Mom101  - I am almost sorry I opened my mouth . . .  I am an artist in the real world and have work to do. I am compelled to address your heartfelt concern and perspective. I am an established expert on the subject. You asked the right person.

I smoked pot for years and liked it very much. I was self-employed most of the time. Suffice it to say I did some incredible projects, that are beyond the ability of most . . . successfully. I organized a crew and took care of logistics. I used professional grade eye drops if I smoked on break, and was not hampered in my dealings with customers. I knew Doctors, Lawyers , Bankers and all etc. who used it responsibly. You don't know because they will not tell you. Some people are slackers, smoke too much, won’t even take a break to pass a drug test for a job. Take their pot away from them, they will still be shiftless.  They are intensifying their lack of ambition, but it has another source.

I find myself defending the use of marijuana. That is not my intent. It isn’t healthy physically. Over use can lead to neurosis or even psychosis. Users must face reality and  weigh the risk. At one point I found it was worth it. Alchohol is debilitating poison. It will kill you, your family and total strangers. It is extremely addictive, and once hooked will replace your bodies need for anything else. If you stop cold turkey you will experience DT’s or even die. Users must face reality and  weigh the risk. Is it worth it? My point is to show the incongruity in our thinking. It is a strange, unexplainable dichotomy.
            War on poor - Thank God you haven’t seen it . . . it is ugly and will test your faith. Example :

I worked at Devereux, look it up. One of my favorite students, Jason, was a pot smoking fool. He is a little emotionally disabled. Not as much as most of my students. He was sharp in some ways, but came from a poor family. His mother used hard drugs and drank when she was pregnant.  He took regular beatings from his alcoholic dad. He was sexually abused by a neighbor. When he came to my class, all he ever said was f*** you . . . MFer. We did molding and casting & sign and display. He liked it. After 3 years he was doing well -leader in class - handy with tools - cooperative. He turned 18 and we let him go.

Three months later . . . popped for weed (3or 4 grams) . . . probation (6mths, drug class, random testing) . . . flunked test (new charge violation of probation) . . . probation (1yr, drug class, NA, scheduled and random testing) . . . flunked test (violation of probation) . . .  1yr in county jail . . . out 6 mths - busted for 3or 4 grams . . . (1yr probation w/tests) . . . flunked test (felony violation of probation) . . . 2yrs state time. I left out a couple of “failure to appear's.

If I had the resources to do a post-secondary vocational effort, with living quarters, it would be a different story. I left Devereux to do just that with a State funded program. The state pulled the plug. If I had it my way, I would keep the skilled focused worker busy in my shop. When he went out back to take a “swat”, I would turn a blind eye. When he came back, I would put headphones on him and let him do his highly skilled job for 3 hours without a break. He got so focused on what he did, you would have to make him stop and go home. He wanted to finish the project. Nothing could stop him but the law.

Crack is worse. Mom gets busted twice for slinging rocks (selling crack) on the same corner within 6 months. She doesn’t get a chance to kiss baby goodbye. Gone for 10 years. What about the baby? Don’t wait for the church to take her in. She goes to foster home after foster home, where she may be neglected, abused and raped. Welcome to a peek into the collateral damage from the war on drugs. I have been nice, since the Lord has seen fit to hide these things from your loving eyes.

For all of you full grown men who have a college education: Wake up you are ignorant, self-righteous, and delusional. You don’t have the wisdom that God gave a goose. You will be held in account for your lack of understanding and compassion. You will probably want to prove yourself a fool and argue. I don’t banter with the demons that have blinded your calloused eyes. Uncle Sam has become a Tijuana cop. He sells you the stuff and then he turns around and busts you for it. Set the captives free!

I reiterate! Drugs . . . EVEN CRACK . . . should not be a criminal issue! It will only exasperate the problem. The energy spent will be neurotic by definition (look it up). The issue is spiritual and one of mental health. If the Church wasn’t living in a self-imploding, fairy tale wonderland and carrying God’s money around in a leaky bucket . . . we would be well on our way to recovery.

End the war on drugs and declare a war on poverty and ignorance.

2. nightwork4 profile image59
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

b.s. those studies were don't by anti-marijuana advocates and have been proven wrong many times. i hate when people use mis-information to make a point. study all sides before you try to show your brilliance. wow.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As much as I hate to say this, there are studies that quite clearly show that for the modern stronger strains of marijuana that actually is support for the claims of increased likelihood of mental health issues. From the studies I have read, the 'stronger' strains are actually lacking in a chemical. Naturally marijuana has a number of chemicals, one of which is known to trigger schizophrenic symptoms in those who already are pre-disposed to developing this disorder. In the stuff our parents were smoking there is a counter chemical, something that blocks the other chemical linked to triggering schizophrenic disorders. To make a blanket statement that smoking pot can make you mentally ill is just as miss-information as saying that it wont trigger mental health problems. In the UK (and I don't know if this is still the case but it was when I moved here) the stronger "skunk" is actually classified differently to "grass" and for grass the penalty for possession of small amounts is a lot less then for possession of the same amount of skunk. What annoys me is that here in the UK "skunk" is demonized beyond its real potential dangers while the safer option of smoking "grass" (which the government agrees isn't quite so dangerous) isn't made clear to people, especially teens and young adults (who are smoking without having any clear idea of what the potential risks are). Frankly if they legalized the less potent "grass" they can keep their "skunk" in a classification of being among the most dangerous drugs, if I wanna get stoned I will just smoke more of the grass! lol

Seriously, of those posters here that smoke pot, would you happily buy less potent grass (legally) that is more like what our parents smoked instead of the stronger stuff?

It seems like it would be a fair compromise big_smile

3. WD Curry 111 profile image57

So does social networking.

4. cobrien profile image60
      cobrienposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marijuana should be used to TREAT mental illness. I think the increase in mental illness is probably caused by an unacknowledged pollutant in our food, water, or air.
      I say legalize it, tax it, and get our country out of debt.

5. Borsia profile image39
      Borsiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are also studies that show MJ to be just as effective as prescription drugs in fighting psychosis as well as clinical depression and a host of other mental illnesses.
      I have real problems with reports done by groups who have something to loose by making it legal.
      Much like the "studies" done by the US and British governments that claimed you could have a sever overdose, possibly with fatal results.
      It has since been proven that you would have to smoke over 200 Lbs in 1 day to get any type of overdose and that even them it would be the quantity of tars that would strangle you rather than the actual drugs effects.
      If we are going to delve into personal antic dotes I know a pretty large number of people who have smoked it for over 40 years and none have suffered any mental problems as a result.
      The bottom line, as far as I see it, to all drug use is that it is much like the drug alcohol. Something like 90% of Americans drink at some level but only a relatively few ever develop a drinking problem.
      Of the people who use drugs a relative few ever become addicts.
      Most who do will become addicted to something no matter what the laws are and it is cheaper and more effective to deal with it as a medical problem than a legal one.
      There isn't a single credible study that doesn't show MJ to be the least harmful of all drugs including Alcohol, which btw is one of the worst.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Indeed it is, and not forgetting tobacco. I'm sure there are studies (although I'm not familiar with any ) that have separated the harmful effects of tobacco and MJ? As they are frequently used together. I don't know what's floating around the market today in terms of MJ, maybe it's become some kind of super drug that has more harmful effects than alcohol and tobacco combined. Although I doubt that. Interesting though, maybe I'm ill advised, but aren't alcohol and tobacco both physically and psychologically addictive? Can the same be said about MJ, when it used without tobacco?

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Or it could be said the state of the US culture as it it today is a mental illness.

4. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years ago

The war on drugs is one of the worst mistakes the USA, its government, and its people have ever done. Prohibition did not work and the war on drugs is not working and never will. We should legalize especially marijuana and tax it. But small court systems especially in the south's old Bible belt in the southern USA make big money from their court systems so it will be hard to make them give up their cash cow.

But we will never win the war on drugs. Maybe we should just legalize it all and be done with it. Stopping drugs from coming into the USA is like trying to dip the Atlantic Ocean dry with a coffee cup.

1. kmackey32 profile image62
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Im not so sure the souths court system makes big money off it. I once sat through some court hearings in NC and seen a man fined $25 for possesion of maijuana. The fines in NYS are much greater than that.

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
        crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is quite different in the Cleveland County NC Court System. Their court is so crowded on Fridays that no one is allowed to go to court but the people being tried.

http://www.alternet.org/rights/47815/

Read that article as it is amazing. More than a Billion Dollars a year is spent on U.S. Pot Prisoners. I can think of a lot better places to spend that money than on pot prisoners.

One in eight people locked up in the USA are locked up for pot.

All of this money could and should be spent on other things.

The USA is never going to win a war on Drugs so why should we keep wasting money.

Make it legal, tax it and end a situation that has gone on far to long.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The police have jobs to hunt this drug down; the departments get money and funding to buy equipment to hunt down drugs; the companies that make these products generate unnecessary jobs building these unnecessary machines; etc. etc.

Another perfect example of mal-investment due to government's infringement of liberty.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image72

The "court system" doesn't make money off it, but plenty of other folks do, as Evan pointed out.

There's also a lot of fear-driven economic activity: fear of crackheads breaking into innocent people's homes (sometimes justified, usually not) drives a lot of handgun sales, burglar alarm service subscriptions, etc etc. The NRA would probably be upset if we ended the War on Drugs: the gun companies wouldn't sell nearly as many home defense tools.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60

I'm not sure that the NRA's policy is to "get guns sold en masse", I think they are more of the nature of "Don't take the guns we have away"

Well, they do lobby for that, to be sure.

I have to admit that I'm speculating, but I'd be astonished if Browning, Colt, Winchester, Beretta, etc. didn't contribute heavily to the NRA's lobbying war chest.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
              Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The gun manufacturers and gun dealers are big contributors to the NRA. It's a big mistake to think of this right wing organization as being composed of hunters and target shooters. And the Congressmen and women elected with NRA support tend to be right wingers on plenty of issues other than gun control.

1. profile image0

big_smile

I thought I was on the gunslinger's thread!

2. profile image0

thank you nice post

5. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

I'm suspicious of "wars on" just about anything whether it be drugs, terrorism, cancer, poverty or just about anything because use of the term tends to exaggerate the danger and to focus too narrowly on what should and can be done about it.

In the case of the "war on drugs" the focus has been too much on severe prison sentences for users and too little on rehabilitation, and on huge amounts of taxpayers' money spent by the DEA to catch drug dealers with little success in stemming the tide of drugs coming into the country or in the case of methamphetamines being made in the USA.

Vote Obama out if you hate wars! Put your walk where your talk is.

6. knolyourself profile image59

Ever heard of an American drug lord?

Not sure of the definition of "American drug lord." And, no I couldn't name one although we have had a number of big time dealers in Detroit. When I hear drug lord I think of Colombians and Mexicans. However, I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who qualify. I may have missed the point of your question.

7. knolyourself profile image59

Well it means you have heard of drug lords a zillion times in other countries but not many used for anyone in the US even though the US is biggest illegal consumer in the world. Which can
    only mean America has no drug lords how is that?
    Suffice it to say that drugs are an essential ingredient of Empire politics.

8. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 12 years ago

http://blog.norml.org/2009/07/01/study- … l-illness/

Life itself can cause mental illness....

I know people who have been using marijuana for 30-40 years...and they have not become "mentally ill"...

Prohibition is a miserable failure. It only opens a black market where money disappears while enabling law enforcement to victimize the population, regardless of whether they use or have the "drug" at all.  New York cops were recently exposed planting weed and other drugs on innocent people simply to boost their arrests.. This is not isolated to the Big Apple by any stretch...and this type of corruption runs rampant..

There is no justification for the ongoing criminalization/"outlawing" of marijuana....aside from the huge amount of money that is made, either through its sale or the tax dollars used to pay crooked cops and a broken criminal justice system..

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

i wouldn't mind becoming a farmer...looking for a career change big_smile

1. profile image0

cool

1. michifus profile image57
        michifusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Love the new profile pic Kimberly - what a cool photo!

1. profile image0

thanks buddy! big_smile i love that horse and of course you too in that avatar tongue

10. mikelong profile image62

"There is no culture without agriculture." -Pablo Rodriguez

11. michifus profile image57
    michifusposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, Marijuana is bad for your health. Resin, pot, hash is even worse, in fact it contains 10 times more tar than a cigarette.

Heavy marijuana smokers run the same risks as smokers in terms of lung diseases, and as has been pointed out, marijuana can cause mental health issues. OK, so this is most likely due to there being some predisposition, and the mental health, while they cant be ignored, I believe are relatively small, but higher than the natural occurrence of mental health issues.   issues probably should be put to one side as nothing causes mental health issues like stress, and life in general.

Decriminalizing it will save millions if not billions, but it is not a solution. What has happened in the Netherlands recently (only one city I think) is that to stop drug tourism, they have made people register to use the coffee shops. I don't like the idea, but i do think it is possibly a workable solution for both camps.

At least that way you can

A. Control usage
    B. tax it and make money
    C. Kill the foreign black market in an instant
    D. demonstrate that this is not something for everyone and an alternative to a beer
    E. Keep track of users and effectively monitor the health problems resulting from it.
    F. Save a fortune on prosecuting tokers, and would allow the police to concentrate on more important things.

People who want to smoke marijuana will smoke it. You cant stop that. As for issuing of registration cards in order to buy it,there will always be dealers selling to those without a card, and they can be prosecuted in the normal ways.

Unfortunately, no government could introduce it. There are too many voters against it. Only at state level could this really be introduced, and when it proves to be effective and profitable maybe incorporate it into US law.

Right. Another of the worlds problems solved. Time for a joint I think.

1. profile image0
      pcoachposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that is the most clear, concise and honest piece of writing every written in a hubpages forum. And it covers my personal opinion precisely. But there is one perspective I would add. Disregarding the illegality of marijuana for the moment, the effect of alcohol and marijuana are two different things. A drinker of alcohol is so much more likely to cause accident or injury to persons. A smoker of marijuana is LESS likely to go out and rob the liquor store while under the influence of marijuana. Quick story. My wife used to work for a former solicitor general (that means the state's trial attorney)  of our state but in a private capacity after his term. When reading the newspaper about just this type of instance, he remarked that while you will read about people who might rob liquor stores, vandalize businesses, etc., or even gang related crimes, most of these folks DID NOT smoke a joint before they went out to do their "crap". He said, "Who smokes marijuana and then goes out and does anything?" It would be more likely that a bunch of "pot heads" would be hanging out talking about the idiots that tried to rob the store... 

Legalization of marijuana should definitely be considered.  With a tax, of course. But with regard to other "drugs", I would not support the legalization of almost any other drug. It is ridiculous that we "support" persons in prison for almost any marijuan charge, except perhaps distribution or possession within certain footage of schools and such. I guess this is where I step out of my proverbial "box".

well said smile

2. mom101 profile image60

If this stuff you say is so "loving" that is can't harm, and all that other stuff, why not let the schools give it out to kids, let's say when they have a headache or bellyache or something?

If it so loving, then why not give it to the kids in school who are bullies, to chill them out, or to the kids who are being bullied to help ease their anguish?

Yeah, these statements are ridiculous. People, wake up. THINK.......

Well I can think of 2 legitimate reasons that legal marijuana should still not be given to kids. One, children are still growing and developing physically, smoking anything really, could potentially damage that development (say lung health and capacity, or even simply height, I have heard of kids who started smoking at like 11 and their growth was stunted). The second reason I can think of with very little effort is, children are not usually able to make reasoned and informed choices in regards to things that are not inherently 'good for you'. Think about it, Mc Donalds is bad for your health, its highly fattening and while as a 'treat' it isn't a major problem but how many kids would only have it as a treat if given an option? Should we ban Mickie D's or should we hope that parents will take care of their children?

I don't think anyone denies that inhaling smoke (of any sort really) is bad for you.  The issues is in adults not being allowed to make their own choices in regards to their health. Would you put someone who carved up their arms with razor blades in prison? The health issues around smoking could easily be called self harm.

I think it is fair to say that many people have thought about this issue but have come to different conclusions from you. Just because not everyone agrees with you doesn't mean they haven't been thinking smile
          Fair enough if you wish to challenge the thinking of others but to imply that they haven't been thinking by telling them to, well it stops being a challenge and becomes more of an attack big_smile

2. nightwork4 profile image59
          nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

the same reason we don't give alcohol or guns to school kids legally.i find that after such an absurd statement that you are telling others to wake up and think.

nightwork4, it would be absurd to do such a thing. I made that statement as a sarcastic remark.

There are those that wish the weed plant to be legalized.Says the plant does no harm. I think that statement is also absurd.

Our children are our future. We should be protecting them at all cost.

He complains that the jails are supporting the folks they arrest for illegal possession and wasting the taxpayers money. I agree with that to the point they are wasting the taxpayers money by giving theses people a free ride. No work, 3 meals a day, heat/cool etc.  Most of them able bodied people who choose not to work. Many neglecting their families. Here is where I differ. If one is charged with illegal possession. Put a bracelet on him/her, send them home with the following conditions, a job, at least 6 months consecutive employment, all bills he/she has paid, on time, revoke any public assistance they may or may not have, impose a fine that has to be met and one that in place of taxpayers money being used for his/her crime has to be paid by the offender. Yes, tax money is being wasted I agree. But if I go out and write a bad check, I have to make it good.
            In an idea, I suggested making it legal to grow but only for personal consumption. Like with tobacco, the growers are given an allotment. A user could be given an allotment,say 5 pounds a year for their own use. No selling.

I cringed when I even suggested that. Think. I am almost positive that if some parents grew it, their kids would be doing most of the work harvesting it and more than likely consuming it as well. But, he is ticked off because he thinks his rights are not equal to tobacco growers. Yes, as of right now it is legal to buy a pack of cigarettes,, but the use of them have been banned in most places. My guess is that , in the next few years they will be banned from purchasing while the weed plant will be legalized.

i agree, we have a flawed system.

In my opinion, if it were to become legalized, we would see more poverty and more crime and more tax dollars wasted. How can this help anything?

I agree, saying that smoking weed wont hurt you is absurd. Inhaling smoke of any sort will harm your lungs, end of. That's the risk any smoker of anything (pot, ciggys, cigars, pipes, etc) takes.
              Somehow that is not an argument I am faced with very often. The argument that wins me over is the argument that the illegality of weed is causing more harm then the plant itself could ever do.

True statement, cannot disagree. If weed were legalized but could only be bought at specially liscensed stores (like liquor stores are with alcohol) sure kids would get fake ID's or get bums to buy for them, but at the moment they are already buying it themselves. Often from gun toting gang bangers. How protected are they really? I don't think the local crips or bloods are going to be half as safe as a licensed store.....
              Fact is, we can't make their parents responsible ones, or make sure they have enough time to get to know their kids well. I don't think we will be putting all kids into state care so that all kids will be safe from bad parents. The best we can do is minimize the risks. Gangs often exist for only one reason, illegal drugs. Gangs are one of the biggest dangers our kids face when they are out of our direct care. They wont be going anywhere so long as there is money to be made selling illegal drugs.

Being anally raped, living in fear of their lives daily, yeah, prison life sounds like a great time! roll
              Sorry but this attitude that people have that being in prison is somehow a pleasant experience gets right up my nose. Ever had to live in fear daily of being beaten up? I would rather be homeless, sleeping under bridges and eating food from dumpsters while stuffing old newspapers bunches in my clothing to keep warm then live with that daily fear. Many runaway kids seem to feel the same way. What I cannot fathom is why you would think differently? That being housed with violent and dangerous criminals who will take any opportunity to victimize people would be a price to pay for 3 meals a day and a roof over you head. I have been homeless but never in prison, if given the option I would go back to being homeless before being sent to prison. I value my freedom (such as it is) and personal safety more then getting the free ride that prison represents.

And what happens when prisoners are given jobs? Cries from the community that prisoners are stealing their jobs. You might want to look into the prision blue jeans that got communities up in arms at their job losses. Not to mention that its hard to support your family from behind bars (assuming you have a family, and as far as I have heard, most prisoners don't have families, thats part of why they turned to crime, being alone in life). I mean the many violent criminals in jail aren't likely to have family to support but wouldn't do so anyway even if they were out, more likely they would exploit and terrorize their families. Prison isn't just for pot smokers.

What if the person caught with illegal possession has a job? A place to live and isn't on benefits? I have known more like that then on the dole. For that matter why should it matter if they have a job or not? It doesn't matter to buy alcohol. When I lived with my dad he smoked weed and I never knew! (not until I had grown up and he told me). Now my step mom, she was a drinker. She used to go for drives with me and my two little brothers in tow. Alcohol did more to damage my childhood then weed (and my dad eventually lost custody of me because of her drinking), why not make it illegal?... Oh wait! They did! That's right, and it lead to unprecedented levels of crime. So people on welfare can drink themselves silly, ruining the lives of anyone around them and thats hunky dorie.

I could go for something like that, I think it would be much safer to grow your own. No getting something laced with something else cause the gangs want to increase the addiction factor of their weed (make sure you only buy from them cause normal weed isn't enough anymore). Here in the UK there have been reports of broken glass being put in weed yikes
              Did you know that it is illegal for you to grow your own tobacco? The tobacco companies wouldn't get the big bucks if you could grow your own wink
              So if you want to smoke a ciggy but not have the arsenic, polonium-210, benzene, formaldehyde, or hydrogen cyanide you're sh*t out of luck. hmm

You may have cringed but at least you were looking at possible options for a solution. That I can respect big_smile

2. mikelong profile image62
              mikelongposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it is your statement that is absurd.

To think that prohibition/criminalization of weed "keeps it out of the hands of children" is ludicrous...

Most people already begin consuming it in middle/high school...

Marijuana was legal to consumer prior to the 1920's....did we have a probblem before then?

No........simply look at the forces behind criminalization...

One will find corporate interests seeking monopoly over wood-based paper making over hemp...(which is why hemp is also illegal under the marijuana prohibition....obviously this move had nothing to do with "weed" 

One will also find that this "weed paranoia" was also being directed at Mexican Americans.....and the "bad weed" was partially used as a way to justify the illegal deportation of up to a million and a half American citizens of Mexican descent...

Oh wait...Mikel was talking about "criminal" invaders...

Mikel, what about those Americans who violated the Constitution by kicking Americans out of their own country?  I wonder how many came back through "illegal" means? How many Americans have lost their birthright in this way? (remember, for those who didn't return..their children, grand-children, and great grand-children are also American citizens....but they have been denied)...  "Criminal invaders"...again Mikel, pull your head out of the sand and recognize what it is you are talking about.  Criminality is coming from the very government/system you are trying to protect...

Mom keeps making up nonsense....she must know who the people locked up are...(sarfcasm)  Obviously she has not.  It is also evident that she has failed to read the articles I mentioned about the NYPD. LAPD, LA County Sheriff/Corrections and other corrupt agencies that use drug laws to artificially boost prison rolls...

As one cop told my brother the last time he was locked up (while incarcerated 5 times, three of them were completely made up by the police...bcause they can do it. I witnessed it all with my own eyes...at through the b.s. court proceedings, testified on numerous occasions)..."keep coming back..I'll keep a cell open for you...you are paying for my houses and boat...."

Yeah.....the real issue at hand....perpetuate criminal creation so that huge profit can be made...

Keefe Commissary isn't complaining either.... 

Again....there has yet to be a single justifiable reason mentioned for the ongoing prohibition/criminalization of marijuana...

If you support these things, and then you complain about deficits/debt/overspending/corruption in government, take a look in the mirror, pat yourself on the back, and congratulate your efforts to keep the real criminals in business and rolling in the money that should be going to make universities free for in-state students to attend. etc...

What nonsense...

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57

That says it. Let's put it on the ballot and vote now.

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Prescription medicine is bad for your health also.

M. Is good for Multiple Sclerosis victims--It slows down the plaque that forms and in some stops it from forming entirely.

It is good to stop nausea in Chemo patients

It is also good for glaucoma patients

It is a herb and grows in nature

Here they complain about the jails been over crowded, so much they allow murders to be released on parole.

All they have to do is release those who sold marijuana

True, and as has been pointed out, the whole lung cancer thing is only applicable if you smoke it. Space cakes are certainly the way forward.

Prosecuting marijuana users is pointless and expensive. In the UK the police have said as much, and that it is a drain on resources which could be better used elsewhere.

Unfortunately, a government that legalizes it is likely to lose a hell of a lot of voters. I cant see any administration taking that risk.

12. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5765047_f248.jpg

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

nice

2. bbnix profile image60
      bbnixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

An interesting discussion, thank you...

Thanks Kimberly, for a beautiful photograph, and your wonderful compassion and love of life...There is much to hope for, even in sometimes frustrating Toronto or wherever you may live....

We've seen many decades of this exact discussion with respect to the many facets of marijuana, good and bad, while spending billions of dollars in attempting to limit its use, distribution, and ultimately, it's production, yet, not having any substantive gains, other than violence and the amount of money spent on the "drug war".., not to mention the destabilization of many second and third world countries many countries by simply throwing money and at the problem. It's time to reset our priorities to those of understanding and empowerment, not "us and them" the age old mantra, and failed notion, of justified subservience.

We still know so little of the causes of physical and emotional health problems, let alone their possible cures or treatments....

There are very limited resources to help not only the addict or those of us with intolerable physical or mental pain, no matter their personal choices or possibly self-destructive behaviors....and resources are becoming more scarce, not abundant, while clever, yet very expensive propaganda and military machines benefit only a few....

1. profile image0

great post thank you

1. bbnix profile image60
          bbnixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, my dear friend....

13. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

The Drug War in the US is a clandestine war against Mexico and other Latin American countries.

I'm surprised that Mexico hasn't invaded us yet. ... I suppose that fighting all those drug lords takes up most of their time.

Legalize it, and let Mexico prosper.

Weed is the cash cow for a lot of these Drug Cartels, I've heard numerous stats that put the number around 40% or higher of their income is generated by the sale of weed.

Imagine that. All we have to do to crush these cartels is say "who cares if you want to toke up".

hmm  They Have. Thier army is 10+ million strong. They have demonstrations in our schools, they have forced our children to not display the flag of the United States while they are parading in our country waving the Mexican Flag on Mexican Independence day. They even have us pay for the education of thier people (those in the United States illegally). We're just to blind to see it I guess.

LOLOL - no.

Immigration to increase your livelihood is NOT an invasion.

It's actually called "freedom"

Legal Immigration is one thing.

Theft of a nation through a Criminal Invasion is another.

"Illegal Immigration" is the Politically Correct way of saying 'Criminal Invader'.

If they are illegals they are criminals.

Pretend they are just poor helpless people that have no choice but to be criminals if you must. But set the poor bank robbers free from prison, because they too only did what they had to in order to get a better life, steal it from someone else.

LOLOL -no. roll

What precisely are they stealing? Be specific, please.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image72

"I'm surprised that Mexico hasn't invaded us yet."
      Really? That'd give us carte blanche to invade Mexico, and Mexico wouldn't stand up to a US invasion for more than about a week. They'd be nuts to invade the US.

"Legalize it, and let Mexico prosper."
      Indeed, and the US would share in that prosperity as we stop wasting money on interdiction and incarceration, and allow our farmers to legally grow hemp, a very useful plant, and sell the crop for biofuels, fiber for paper and textiles, etc.

"Immigration to increase your livelihood is NOT an invasion."
      Can I get an Amen?

"Theft of a nation through a Criminal Invasion is another."
      While I agree that immigrants ought to come in through the front door rather than sneak in through the back window, I also think it should be a lot easier to get in through the front door.

Why are you afraid of immigrants?

Why are you afraid of immigrants?

I'm not.

I dislike Criminals especially the 10+ million criminals that cry poverty made me do it, I'm not really a criminal, I'm just poor and am forced to break your laws. What they are really saying is unless I break your laws I can't become rich and powerful. So they have chosen to be a criminal, like any other criminal they should reap the consequences of that choice.

14. profile image0

Just curious what percentage of countries are not in the exact situation, and please do account for the ones hidden or not discussed.  We are all armed and will no doubt die the only question is who will be first?  I just with no disrespect feel odd talking about the obvious.  Does it matter who when we are the deadliest as far as we know?
    Thanks for the rant

15. profile image57
    geordmcposted 12 years ago

Why is it that everyone thinks that smoking is the only way to use marijuana? It can be eaten or vaporized as well, So much for the tars and such, Huh? Also consider the fact that "legal" prescription drugs (supposedly controlled by a "Doctor" account for 100,000 deaths per year, alcohol accounts for 50,000 deaths just from poisoning alone. Marijuana deaths 0 (ZERO!!!) But no one wants to consider that fact when they vilify weed. C'mon Man, WAKE UP, please. The marijuana plant has over 22,000 legal uses. This one plant could hold the key to our economic future, not just from taxes for personal use, How many jobs could be made from textile mills, paper mills, auto bio-fuels, plastics, ect. Alcohol prohibition only strengthened organized crime. You complain about Mexican cartels power because of marijuana. Legalize it and you take away their power base, they don't sell alcohol in this country, do they?

16. mikelong profile image62

That is very true, eliminating the "weed rots your teeth" and "it causes lung cancer" defenses for ongoing criminalization...

There is no justifiable reason for keeping cannabis illegal....all we are doing is making tax dollars disappear...we keep financing criminals, enabling them to buy weapons and power..

17. TheMagician profile image89
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

I'm definitely for legalizing it, of course with having regulations. This war on drugs has been nothing but useless.

I personally though just don't like weed -- it's horrible and tastes gross and I'm allergic to it to top it all off, haha. But I've always loved the smell of unlit marijuana. Point blank, the stuff is incredibly less of a hazard than alcohol. I'm really surprised the government has such an issue with it.

1. profile image0

Dude, try this hit, ear!!!!!!!!!!

1. TheMagician profile image89
        TheMagicianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Was that an "ear" or an " 'ere " ? Hahaha

18. mikelong profile image62

Our immigration problems stem from a poorly devised immigration system.

I urge you to look at how complicated, costly, and biased this process is....

I would add, especially for undocumented immigrants from Mexico and Central America, it is American companies (and those of the "allies" like Japan, South Korea and even Canada) that have undermined land distribution and socio-economic development..whether it be El Salvador, Honduras, Belize, Mexico, or Columbia..

What would drive men and women from Oaxaca and Chiapas to the United States?  What is going on these regions that is causing such a problem?

Let me know when you find out..

Terrible Social systems in thier 'home' countries.

When did it become the job of any foreign nation to support the population of, or fix the problems of some other foreign nation. It is thier job to fix thier country, it is NOT my job to fix thier country.
      The decision to steal what works better from someone else is the same mentality the bank robbers have. So if you feel it is ok for foreign criminals to steal my life then you must believe that bank robbers are also to be given what ever they steal and should merely be pitied for not being born rich.

If they can't stand thier own Government they should fix it, themselves. Stealing from me, because the country I live in has a better social system, is not an acceptable solution to thier problem.

They cannot be allowed to steal from me to make for themselves a 'better life'. They must Go and fix thier own countries. Just like we do everyday.

19. mikelong profile image62

I think you need to do some more reading, beginning with my post (rereading).

Again...look at the U.S. companies in these nations...look at their relationships to land-use/access policies in those nations.

Why was the Honduran president so dangerous to the establishment in that nation that a midnight-shove (still in pajamas) into a helicopter-coup needed to happen?

Who would lose in Honduras if a land-reform took place to give the indigenous population access to the lands that they have traditionally held?

It is easy to through around some generalized statements (as you did), but let us show some depth, shall we?

It is easy to through around some generalized statements (as you did), but let us show some depth, shall we?

Absolutely.

Show me why I should allow foreign criminals to steal my life.

Show me how the theft of my country and my way of life, is any different than allowing bank robbers to steal money from banks.

Show me how changing the already watered down term 'Illegal Alien' to 'Undocumented Immigrant' makes them suddenly no longer thieves or criminals.

Show me where in the constitution of the United States it states I have a responsibility to fix the problems of foreign nations.

Then we'll talk.

1. profile image0

Mikel good to see you again and your right show us where American or canadian.  I am embarrassed to be Canadian.  We are now the minority in our own country.  Everyone just hates each other in Toronto and I never thought I'd say this but whoever someone is back it on up cause I'm finally taking care of mine

pissed is mild, lets 2 countries fix the world while our troops are mutilated and we are so busy getting clean water to keep those nuc's cool over there, us water

whatever no one cares no one has the time, no one shows compassion and clearly now no one likes me

inevitable anyways cause I now don't care but will die for those Ii love

So sad our world and all the resources we need

but no one can find the time, let the nuc's fly

i can't care anymore, helping has done nothing and i am a fool, naive

Awww hun! I like you! I think you are one rockin chicka! Try not to the the apathy that seems to pervade society get ya down! There are lots of folks out there who care and look for little ways the can be a part of the solutions, they just don't make it to main stream media (frankly, they don't pull the viewers, getting them glued to find out every sordid detail, and as such wont make tv companies big bucks with advertisers). We are the silent majority sista! We just aren't loud and crazy enough to get and keep peoples attention tongue

2. Jeff Berndt profile image72

"Show me why I should allow foreign criminals to steal my life."

Your life has been stolen? You're surfing the web from beyond the grave? roll

20. mikelong profile image62

So, in other words, you cannot answer the question I asked..

I wager it is the cognitive dissonance of our nation that has been deposited inside of you..

The Honduran people waited for months for their president to return from forced exile in Costa Rica. President Obama said that he would be reinstated...but all has been forgotten.. 

Those in Honduras know what I am about to say...in their eyes, it was the Americans that are the criminals..  You worry about some guy "taking your job" down at the meat packing plant (like you'd be down there...right?)...but ours steal elections and overthrow national leaders...

I can't think of anything more criminal than that....  Own your national legacy Mikel... Read up on the School of the Americas...  Ask yourself about Iran-Contra...and then wonder why we have more Salvadorians living in the U.S. than in El Salvador...(mostly here in Los Angeles with me...and a large percentage undocumented). Hondurans are here too... 

Let us discuss reality, and cut the tripe...  I've already started....will you join me?

So, in other words, you cannot answer the question I asked..

No actually. I answered your question.

I get it. You're on the Criminal Invaders side. You like them better and are promoting the invasion of the United States. To you that invasion is justice, and not a criminal act.
      What you're saying (again) is that it is our own fault that we are being invaded and we deserve to be invaded because of the foreign policies of the 1%er controlled Government. You further state 'because' these foreign nations consider our governments actions to be illegal, that somehow justifies them invading the United States, and we should just roll over and accept thier take over because 'We Deserve it'. Lastly you try and claim that it isn't really an invasion at all, merely desperate people doing the only thing they can, (just like the desperate poor thieves that rob banks).

I disagree. They must leave the United States, return to thier own countries and fix thier own countries. Thier Invasion is not about justice, it is about Money. They cannot get rich in thier own countries so they come here to steal the wealth of the United States so they can become rich and powerful. They are criminals and should be arrested and at the very least heavily fined (so they know returning will not result in them becoming rich) then jailed and after serving thier sentence deported. They should be placed on a No Entry list and be forever banned from a return to the United States.

I'm really sorry that thier countries suck. But fixing thier country is not the responsibility of the United States government or the citizens of the United States, even if you really really believe it is. If they truly want to be a part of the United States they should join the United States by requesting that thier country become a new state within the United States. Accepting our laws and our constitution and our way of life. They don't want that, they want to dictate the law. The only law they agree with are the laws that benefit them. So no, I do not feel sorry for them.

If you like them so much (enough to commit treason by aiding a foreign nation) then perhaps you should go with them and live in thier country (and see how well they treat you then).

"[Illegal immigrants] cannot get rich in thier own countries so they come here to steal the wealth of the United States so they can become rich and powerful."

Yeah? How many rich and powerful illegal immigrants do you know? I can't name any. Can you? Can anyone? Nope. Because illegal immigrants don't get rich and powerful. They get more money than they could in their home countries, true, but "rich and powerful" ain't in it.

"If you like [illegal aliens] so much (enough to commit treason by aiding a foreign nation) then perhaps you should go with them and live in thier country (and see how well they treat you then)."

Um, do yourself a favor and look up the definition of "treason." You're embarrassing yourself.

Am I?

Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]."

Being taken over by the citizens of a foreign nation would constitute serious injury. hmm

The Criminal Invasion helps the governments of several foreign nations, Mexico being foremost in that list of nations.

So, you think all the illegal immigrants in the US are Mexican, Bolivian, Salvadoran, etc spies and infiltrators?

Yes, you're embarrassing yourself. Or ought to be. You might not actually be embarrassed by those silly assertions.

No. I think they are all Criminals, and should be arrested and treated as criminals.

I'm not embarrassed nor am I wrong.

But thanks for playing. roll

Oh, now you're changing your definitions. A minute ago, you said that someone who speaks up for illegal immigrants was committing "treason,"* and then demonstrated that you know the definition of treason (to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure one's own country), you imply that illegal immigrants are agents of a foreign government, sent here to "overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure" the US.

So you may not be embarrassed, but...

*"If you like them so much (enough to commit treason by aiding a foreign nation) "

21. profile image0

someone said marijuana

I heard that, too.

22. zzron profile image56
    zzronposted 12 years ago

It can make you act and feel pretty freaky! LOL.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3468706.jpg

1. profile image0

lol

miss ya buddy

23. profile image0

Is Marijuana Medicine?

The potential medicinal properties of marijuana have been the subject of substantive research and heated debate. Scientists have confirmed that the cannabis plant contains active ingredients with therapeutic potential for relieving pain, controlling nausea, stimulating appetite, and decreasing ocular pressure. Cannabinoid-based medications include synthetic compounds, such as dronabinol (Marinol®) and nabilone (Cesamet®), which are FDA approved, and a new, chemically pure mixture of plant-derived THC and cannabidiol called Sativex®, formulated as a mouth spray and approved in Canada and parts of Europe for the relief of cancer-associated pain and spasticity and neuropathic pain in multiple sclerosis.

Scientists continue to investigate the medicinal properties of THC and other cannabinoids to better evaluate and harness their ability to help patients suffering from a broad range of conditions, while avoiding the adverse effects of smoked marijuana.

How Widespread is Marijuana Abuse?

National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH)***
    According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, in 2009, 16.7 million Americans aged 12 or older used marijuana at least once in the month prior to being surveyed, an increase over the rates reported in all years between 2002 and 2008. There was also a significant increase among youth aged 12-17, with current use up from 6.7 percent in 2008 to 7.3 percent in 2009, although this rate is lower than what was reported in 2002 (8.2 percent). Past-month use also increased among those 18-25, from 16.5 percent in 2008 to 18.1 percent in 2009.

24. mikelong profile image62

Mikel,

It seems we may both be on the "criminal invader's" side....but I support those who can't defend themselves, while you back those who destroy societies..

Yet, you didn't answer my question...

You're pulling a Herman Cain on foreign policy....

Uh...NO. I'm not on the Criminal Invaders side. I am on the side of the Law Abiding.

Uh...NO. The Criminal Invaders that are destroying the society known as the United States is what you are supporting. These criminals are not defenseless underdogs that simply need help because they are poor and defenseless. They are soldiers working for drug lords, and foreign nations. They are well armed, well financed, and highly connected.

Then please tell me again what question is it that I didn't answer, while you continue to dance around your treasonous beliefs.

roll

May I interest you in this fashionable top hat, lined with genuine grade-A US-made tinfoil? roll

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57

Okay . . . chill out . . . you guys are gumming up the flow. Legalization will stop criminal activity associated with it dead in it's tracks. Case in point . . . repeal of prohibition. Try to be more succinct, less emotional, and work on those chops to bring them up to a professional standard. No thanks for the hat, I like mine.

Peace,
          Chip

25. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

Wonders the goal . Eradication ? Is the intent to drive this plant , this herb , this . renewable resource into extinction?  Ben Franklin  would turn in his grave if that be so.

26. mikelong profile image62

http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/06/ … in-us.html

http://www.soaw.org/about-us

http://www.mayispeakfreely.org/index.ph … ;doc_id=32

"Under the dollarization regime, El Salvador has no control over its own monetary policy. By adopting the US dollar as its official currency, El Salvador has ceded its authority over money supply and interest rates to the Federal Reserve. It is highly unlikely that the Fed will consider El Salvador’s needs when determining interest rates. Therefore, the Salvadorian government has to depend on taxes and spending to stimulate the economy since it no longer has control over money supply and interest rates. This has caused El Salvador to run higher deficits through the last decade since the government was forced to raise expenditures to stimulate the economy as opposed to decreasing interest rates to spur consumption and investment.

The poorest Salvadorians are the most affected by dollarization. When the dollar was adopted, all businesses needed to change their prices and translate them into dollars. This led to a phenomenon known as “rounding up”. Because the colon-dollar exchange rate was not an exact value, but a fraction, the shift to the dollar caused businesses to change from colon to dollar by rounding up to the nearest dime, quarter or dollar. This left the poorest Salvadorians worse off because while prices rose, wages did not, leaving everyone with a lower real income. However, since the poorest Salvadorans have very low incomes, a fraction of a dollar comprises a larger part of their income than the average Salvadoran."

From: http://voiceselsalvador.wordpress.com/2 … -salvador/

More to come..

Agreed, that country sucks.

They should fix it.

1. mikelong profile image62

How can "they" fix it, when they can't get passed US?

Remember Honduras...."they" tried to change the American dominated system...and their president was choppered out of the country in the middle of the night...no investigations, no trials, nothing...just a black hood over the head and he never set foot in his home nation again...

El Salvador was the same situation...but we demagogued them as "communist enemies", and then turned Honduras into a giant base to train guerillas into El Salvador...Iran-Contra.... 

Who were the Sandinistas?  Read "Sandinistas Speak" by Tomas Borge, Carlos Fonseca,, Daniel Ortega, et al.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ … vador2.htm

Who was behind the coup against Hugo Chavez in the beginning of his administration? 

Watch "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"...U.S. helicopters were ready to wisk the legally elected President of our former unofficial colony of Venezuela (Gulf Oil, in other words, the Mellon family..(behind the prohibition of marijuana in the early 2oth century}...lost a lot of money). 

But that won't be what you hear on our corporate media outlets (not even "those liberals" on MSNBC)... 

Being both of Armenian and Native American heritage (not to discount my Reynold-ness(, I've experienced at least two forms of aggression by people who used the American flag to justify their actions.

You could read "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" and get another sense of what I am saying.. You can add to that "Licensed to Kill: Hired Guns in the War on Terror"...

Expand your perspective, and then we could have an actual conversation..

Keeping your head buried in the sand does you, or your nation, no service..

27. profile image57
    geordmcposted 12 years ago

How many Illegal aliens are already here? We've been getting INVADED for decades by foreign nationals. So, we no longer see them as an invading force.But lets get back to the main subject.
    Legalizing marijuana would stop the cartels power grab just like ending prohibition cut organized crimes power base by re-legalizing alcohol. How much profit did they lose when that happened?
    Making weed legal would, in effect, make them legal businesses, subject to taxation and regulation. It MIGHT also stop the violence since they would have legal recourse's to fall back on. Not needing to resort to violence to end disputes, like what happens now.
    Since weed has so many more uses it make no sense to keep it illegal. Think of it, this country needs jobs and this plant could create many new jobs as well as recreate many lost jobs. Lets start with bio-fuels. How many jobs could be created in this field. How about the paper industry, after all oils have been extracted, the residual pulp could be made into paper for less than what it costs now in tree acreage. 1 acre weed = 4 acres of trees. How about the plastics industry? Hemp oils can be used to create bio-degradable plastics. How about the textile industry? Clothing? I could go on but you get the point, Keeping weed illegal is just plain stupid as are those who want to keep it that way!

28. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

although i am not for the use of any recreational drug, I am torn because most of my Hub readers are probably on something

1. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am totally against the use of marijuana for medicinal use. It does more harm than good. The effects of smoke on lung tissue are the same as it is for smoking cigarettes. It will increase your risk of lung cancer just as smoking cigarettes do. There are other medicines out there that does the same thing but with less side effects. Remember all drugs produce side effects in the body when used. There is no such thing as a drug with no side effects.

1. profile image57
        geordmcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let me ask if you ever even tried it or not? I don't like to smoke it I prefer to use it in edibles. Why are so many people so woefully undereducated on this subject.
        1- ANY man made drug will have MORE side effects than something natural.
        2- By eating it you no longer risk lung cancer
        3- there are more deaths from prescribed drugs- 100,000 per year 
        4- marijuana related deaths- 0 (THAT'S ZERO deaths)

1. Greek One profile image63
          Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that's just ridiculous

are you smoking/eating something?

1. profile image57

How so? Obviously you don't have any numbers to dispute it.

you're just talking crazy doobie talk!!!

2. melpor profile image90
          melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Geordmc, most man-made  drugs are the exact same chemicals that are naturally made. Most prescribed drugs have their origin in nature. Aspirin, the miracle drug, is a good example of that. Some cancer treatment drugs on the markets have their origin from plants. Some drugs are found in other animals. The vaccine for tetanus was originally extracted from a virus found in horses. The list goes on. Blood pressure lowering chemicals are found in our own body, scientists just simply developed a way to make it more potent to increase efficacy to the condition of hypertension. Almost all ailments we suffer from are treated with drugs that originally were found in nature and now we have the ability to synthesize these drugs in the labs with the same chemical structure. The chemist only changes one or two chemical groups in the parent structure of the compound to change its potency.

Many people have lost their lives to smoking marijuana. One of the main side effects of it is that it cause a sudden increase in heart rate if you are not careful and that can lead to a fatal heart attack.

2. kirstenblog profile image78

Are you aware that you don't have to smoke it to ingest it? The only valid and proved direct health risk is from smoking it, because frankly inhaling any smoke is bad for your lungs. Every other risk associated with the use of marijuana is still very much up for debate. You can find scientific studies to support just about every view people hold on this issue. To be against the medical use of a plant is in my opinion, short sighted and naive.

I can give an example of a medical use that has probably not even been thought of by very many people at all.

As a teenager I was anorexic. When forced to eat I would throw it up as well. I would wake up in the morning and have a diet pill (legal and from the store), a mountain dew (for the caffeine since I had NO energy of my own) a zoloft (anti-depresant, wonder why I was depressed? lol) for breakfast. I might have a cheese string for lunch, MAYBE. No dinner.

A friend was starting to get worried about me. One day she said to me that she didn't want me to think she was pressuring me or anything like that but she thought that smoking pot might help me. That was the only reason she said anything, because she was worried and thought it might help. That was it. We didn't talk about it again for ages. Then one day we were hanging out and she was going to go buy some and she asked me what I wanted to do. She was happy to take me home, take me with her or go get it and then come back to hang out some more. I decided to go, I figured I didn't have to smoke and I didn't want to go home or wait somewhere. I ended up trying it that evening, when her other friends passed me the pipe I got curious and tried it. I didn't get stoned. I didn't get what all the fuss was about. The next day she asked at lunch if I wanted to go smoke a bowl? I said sure, still didn't get the point but something to do is something to do. I got high that time! Boy did I! And I got hungry! Very hungry. And I was high. When you're high you think differently, to an extent anyway (everyone is different). When high I realized/discovered that bananas are OK to eat.
        A year later I had talked myself into being willing to eat good healthy foods. It started out that that only happened when I was high (that I would eat and not feel guilty for having done so, enough to throw up). Eventually the excuses I made up to eat while high became the reasons why I ate while sober.
        Smoking pot killed my anorexia. Something to think about......

29. Kitty Grey profile image60
    Kitty Greyposted 12 years ago

I can't believe that the American government is still successfully using propaganda and scare tactics to brainwash a large portion of the populace into believing outright lies about marijuana. It does not give you cancer (quite the opposite); it does not statistically increase your risk for psychosis. Someone knowing someone who was paranoid on it doesn't make their assertion is passable for medical information. The US government has spent more money than we can fathom on spreading lies, corrupting medical studies and trying to keep us stupid.

Let's think really hard about this: we all know the story about how America loved weed until the early 1900s when it realised that medication was profitable. Marijuana did not immediately become illegal; its sale was restricted to pharmacies. This was the first step toward our current and ridiculously expensive healthcare and medical industry.

The two main chemicals in marijuana are THC (tetrahydrocannibinol), which is an analgesic, neuroprotector and appetite stimulant and CBD (cannabidiol), known to relieve anxiety, inflammation and nausea and inhibits cancer cell growth. Contrary to what some people have claimed, the University of Sao Paulo released a paper in 2006 concluding that CBN (cannabidiol) is equally effective to current pharmaceuticals in the treatment of schizophrenia, but without the horrible side effects that go with taking antipsychotic medications.

Currently, the American government is fighting for patents on the chemical components of cannabis so that pharmaceutical companies will be the only entities capable of selling and distributing the medication. Basically, they don't want you to have it, because they want to take it and sell it to you when you need it most.

It's time to stop trusting everything the government tells you.

Shame on you!

I hate theoretical physics smile

30. profile image0

raise your hand if your high!

1. profile image57

My hand is up. However, this does not negate the fact that the plant does have more uses other than chemical intoxication

2. Kitty Grey profile image60
      Kitty Greyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is part of the reason no one takes marijuana advocates seriously.

1. profile image57

Did you read my first post? I made comments about a few of the other uses. You should know that cannabis has over 22,000 uses as well as being an important food source being the highest in omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients!

1. Kitty Grey profile image60
          Kitty Greyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was not negatively remarking at you, friend, and I did read your first post. I was actually speaking up against the comment made by kimberlyslyrics. I'm glad that you pointed out the fact that it does indeed have other usage.

1. profile image0

please do speak up then, thank you big_smile

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

roll

2. profile image0

or humour does grab peoples attention and i speak as a recovering 24 year heroin daily iv addict.  I will never stop seeing the both sides of issues and am  well prepared for judgement from people who don't know me.  sad really but hopefully education will reach the judgemental

Education will only reach the judgemental when they are prepared to listen. Holding out loads of hope, yeah...lol

1. profile image0

lol  lol

3. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Actually some people do. Can you provide evidence that substantiates that "no one takes marijuana advocates seriously?"

1. profile image0

I believe whatever approach is taken to an obvious controversial topic has nothing to do with what someone may believe.  Judging me is proof alone given you do not know me proves in one post this topic is dead and will never change.  If we accept that people will not be judged and attacked.

Just this mornings thought

Have a great day big_smile

and Hollie stay cool there may be a dual lol

My money's on you. wink

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

My money's on you. wink

3. Hollie Thomas profile image61

My money's on you. wink

Apparently, I have said this three times. lol

1. profile image0

and I'm lovin it!!!!!!!!!! think it was 4 but 5 would be cool not so popular here

cool  cool  cool  cool  wink

Hey Kimberley, if I was popular then I would worry, seriously. wink

1. profile image0

lame is the new cool wink

31. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

People you know, people around you every day in all walks of life smoke it. Here in Oregon U.S.A. it is prescribed. What makes a pothead a criminal is sending them to the halls of higher learning... The University of the Department of Corrections. And you are wrong.

32. ronaldo1 profile image60
    ronaldo1posted 12 years ago

There is indeed a slippery slope supporting the rights of the individual to do as they please with their own bodies, versus a state obligation to the rule of law in the promotion of the General Welfare. Why stop at Marijuana, is there a larger debate we should be having or no?

33. mikelong profile image62
  34. mikelong profile image62

Our immigration system is abysmal..

See image (below) larger at:

http://i55.tinypic.com/296okdu.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/296okdu.jpg

Our Immigration system makes it difficult for foreigners to get in unless they are someone that can provide something useful to the social system.

An applicant must be an extraordinary individual to be accepted. As it should be.

If we simply open the door to anyone that wants to come for free money, or because thier own country sucks, then the United States would soon collapse...Just like it is because of the 12+ million Criminal Invaders that have decided to bypass the Legal Immigration system, (like a bank robber: can't get it legally, steal it).

what free money would that be then?

Welfare, tax free jobs, Government Grants for education, etc.

illegal immigrants get welfare and government grants? Really?

Tax free jobs are not free money. They have to work hard for that money, often at very low wages

Bank robbers also work very hard while robbing banks, that hard work does NOT make it legal, or right.

Poor them my BUTT. I have worked two and three jobs my whole life. I am now unemployed BECAUSE the Criminal Invaders have stolen the industries I am qualified to work.

Them working "at very low rates" makes it impossible for me to get/keep a job unless I become a criminal like them and stop paying taxes, welfare, social security and all that.

1. mikelong profile image62

The undocumented pay the same taxes that you do Mikel...

They pay rents...which goes to property taxes...

They buy food, clothes, gasoline..all kinds of products....sales taxes...

They also work.....and while they may not file income taxes, per se, these taxes are deducted from their paychecks....and they do not seek the refunds that they are typically entitled to..

Undocumented immigrants have been propping up the Social Security fund for a long time...

The "thefts" you speak of Mikel are nonexistent....unless you were planning on picking strawberries this season, or getting a job at the meat packing plant, or perhaps at one of Walmart's distribution centers...

Nonsense...

Got Proof? I think you're at best delusional, at worst lying.

Yes they live in the houses people like me used to be able to live in. Since they invaded I am homeless and live in my pick-up truck. Thank You to the poor poor criminal invaders.

I use to... before they stole my ability to be employed. Poor them.

Hmmm I use to work too... poor them.

ENTITLED???Criminal Foreigners ARE NOT EVEN ENTITLED TO LIFE in a nation they are not allowed to be in.

LOL... Dream on... yea OK, if it helps you sleep at night.

OR Any type of Construction work... Landscaping... Factory Laborer... Warehousing... Yes I have applied to all of those jobs, however since I pay taxes those companies can't afford to hire me. Walmart and companies like them won't hire me because I will call the police on the Criminal Invaders and they (the company) are afraid of those ramifications. So once again either I must become a criminal or I must starve and live out my life in my truck. POOR THEM.

Yes your position is pure nonsense.

35. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

No one has the right or ability to enforce personal morality/choices/preferences and so on...cant be done successfully.Prohibition and the war on drugs and prostitution have proven that.

Besides,if the million or so people in prison for possession charges were let out...where would the industrial prison complex get replacements for the slave labor contracts to Private companies they make huuuge amounts of money on?

An aside here is:I've read repeatedly about how much stronger weed is now as compared with my time HA!.I don't know who Y'all have been talking to but we used to get weed that was up wards of 30% THC by total volume[Ya!That's a Sh$t load]and believe me you got Serious high on it!It did cause mental illness in some people however,where do you think our current crop of politicians came from?

And FINALY I get to say
    "Is this the weed thread"?
    Home at last!

36. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

in debates such as these, i always ask myself "What would a Governor think?"

http://truthquake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/arnold-schwarzenegger-smoking-pot-joint-marijuana-governator-funny-stupid-bodybuilder-governor-illegally-used-police-chp-cover-up-affairs-hotel-movie-pumping-iron-child-sexual-drugs-crime.jpg

1. OldGamer profile image67
      OldGamerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Üerhaps "Good stuff, indeed!"

37. mikelong profile image62

"I'm not on the Sailboat anymore, I had to sell it (give it away) so I could eat. I'm homeless now, living as best I can out of my truck. (nothing to be jealous of). Thank Goodness for free WiFi!"

Mikel, if this is your current situation, then I do understand your frustration. I've been there myself.  What type of work do you do?

Construction laborer, landscaping, Factory, warehousing, security, bouncing...all the stuff the Criminal Invaders do, cheaper than I can do it.

Mikel, I don't know what town or state you live, but here (TN) the little town I live in is what some would call the hell hole of America.

Though I don't see many getting rich, there are jobs. May not be be what one wants, but there are jobs. Most of which require a simple drug test.

In today's world, we have to stay up with the competition whether it is people viaing for jobs or companies for contracts. I don't get paid as much as the job I do is worth. No where near. But, it pays the bills.

We can't change the world, but we can change our circumstances a lot of the time.

Good luck to you.

38. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I think pot should be legal, even though I'm not a regular smoker. I might partake once or twice a year, but I've found that it's great for controlling pain. I also find it much less harmful than alcohol. I'd rather be around someone who's stoned than someone who's drunk. Stoned folks don't get violent - they just want to chill, listen to music, laugh, and eat Cheetos! lol

39. mikelong profile image62

Mikel,

I don't like the flow of undocumented immigration any more than you do.

However, I cannot say "let those countries take care of it themselves" because, more often than not, the direct or indirect support of the United States officially through diplomacy and unofficially through U.S. multi-nationals and others of their ilk are deeply rooted in the problems creating the immigration to begin with.

I believe that the only way to slow this movement of people is to enable a climate in those nations wherein the people would rather stay than risk the highly dangerous and very expensive trip here, and the ongoing issues they face in their new country.

Instead of ousting the President of Honduras, perhaps we should have let the people of that country decide for themselves how they wish land to be used and where resources and the wealth from their resources are allocated, for example.

If we keep saying "they need to fix themselves" while ongoingly making sure that they can't, we will get nowhere in terms of solving the problem and we will, in time, destroy ourselves.

I want to discuss warehousing more with you in the future.  I hope that you are able to get things turned around quickly.

40. jcmayer777 profile image63
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

Pot has been decriminalized, not legalized, in many urban areas. 

Personally, I'm all for legalization assuming the following:

1.  There's a way to tax it effectively.
    2.  It is controlled properly with strict age guidelines (18?)
    3.  It is regulated for quality control, so nothing else is slipped in.

I haven't smoked for two decades and wouldn't start again even if it was legalized, but I don't see it as a gateway drug and don't think its nearly as bad as those ridiculous propaganda vids that came out  years ago.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)