What Makes Marriages Successful?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. jayb23 profile image71
    jayb23posted 14 years ago

In a fictional hub which I have written titled P.S. I still love you - Part 1 , I came across alot of readers specially women readers who identified with the story. Women prefer men who can love them unconditionally and care for them. Based so far on the interactions that I have had I wonder what really makes marriages tick? Does Financial stability of the husband matters or that he is a loving husband matters more as in he may not be that financially good but nevertheless he is caring and loving. So in a nutshell what scores more Financial Stability or Love?

1. Lgali profile image57
      Lgaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think Financial stability is more important.

2. lisafwg01 profile image60
      lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can only speak for myself, but, for me, financial means don't matter when it comes to how I feel about a man. I am more than capable of taking care of myself financially; who a man is in terms of personality, values and how he treats me is far more important than what's in his wallet.

2. jayb23 profile image71

So you mean to say love should second or may be third in a marriage? Will marriages where money scores above love survive the test of times?

1. Lgali profile image57

if you have no money how you can live always fights for daily requirements

1. lisafwg01 profile image60
        lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why does the man have to be the primary wage earner? Would you love a man less simply because you made more money than he does?

1. Lgali profile image57

I think both have finacial responsibilty

2. LornaDane profile image60
      LornaDaneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably as long as the money does.

1. Lgali profile image57

I find money and love sometime go together

jayb23posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe both money and love have their own place in marriage and which is more important depends upon individual's personality and the external envoirnment.

1. Lgali profile image57

without money no fun

2. Zeta Sfico profile image60
          Zeta Sficoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree. when you find a lover, of course love will be in the first place. but, when you want to live together (married), money will take over. how can you live without money?? as long as the financial status is good, then go on with ur lovely lover..

3. LornaDane profile image60
    LornaDaneposted 14 years ago

By financial stability you imply that the person can live responsibly and within their means no matter the income. While this is by no means the most important factor in compatibility, I'd have to say that it ranks higher than love.

If we are really talking about financial status then you aren't going to find out what is more important in general because if financial status is important to you then love is merely and bonus and vice versa. One really has nothing to do with the other.

4. jayb23 profile image71

In today's world a man is no longer the primary wage earner. Women have become financially independent. It all then boils down to the ego factor of both men and women and if there is love ego will not be a problem.

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

If the love is the right kind of love it will survive financial instability.  On the other hand, if it isn't quite the right the kind of love, financial instability can (and probably will) erode it.  Then again, solid financial stability can kind of mask a lot of imperfections in the kind of love people have.

Having said all that, I think - when it comes down to it - having the right type of love is the thing that immunizes the relationship against breaking up.

jayb23posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spot on. I completely agree to this.

2. freelanceworld profile image61
      freelanceworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with above both replies.
      Money is not something which can break a marriage on its own.
      Crisis bite but cant kill!

It all about the Purity of Love.

3 Cheers for the real lovers smile

6. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

It is probably a matter of perspective.  If a couple lives in a small community and no one has a great deal of money; then money will not be a big factor.  If a couple lives in a metropolitan area and they were doing well and suddenly there is a financial crash; that will be difficult to handle.  I strong relationship may weather the storm.

7. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

jayb23, depends of the object of love...

1. mandybeau profile image58
      mandybeauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AAAH what makes marriage successful one word DIVORCE lol.

8. profile image0
    Gods Gardenposted 14 years ago

Communication, Trust, Passion, Respect, Love....without these you can have all the money in the world and your Marriage is Doomed.

9. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 14 years ago

Trust + Love + Satisfaction + Finance + Children

10. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Wanting to be together, satisfying each others needs on both physical and emotional levels, and never having doubts in each others trust is what I believe keeps two people in a healthy relationship. Money doesn't bring love, but it does help with shopping..........

11. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

two good forgivers????????

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good answer here. smile

12. Dink96 profile image59
    Dink96posted 14 years ago

Mutual love, respect, admiration, a sense of fun and adventure, trust, the ability to laugh with each each other, cultivation of your own friends' and interests, a nice ass, and a good dancer.  (What?  Okay, 9 out of 11 ain't bad.)  But even with all of these, you can't guarantee a successful marriage.  It takes careful tending, to keep and maintain a successful marriage.  The road stretches out flat and the tedium can make things boring at times.  But that's when you have to really get creative and get things rolling along.  I would love to see He Said, She Said weigh in on this one.....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)