Only a small percent of the human brain is actually used...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Seek-n-Find profile image69
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

I saw the movie "Limitless" last night.  I've thought about this before, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on the ability to unlock  and use a greater capacity of the human brain.  The statistic I think I heard before is that we use about 20%.  Do you think humans used to be able to access more of their brain?  Do you think there is a way to access more of our brain today?  And if so, how do you think that would change our human experience?

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are various arguments about this on the web and in the scientific world. Brain Scans have proven that at some point the majority of the brain is actually used although at some given point in time only 20% may be in use.

It's one of the most contested scientific questions of all!

1. Seek-n-Find profile image69
        Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It this is one of the most contested scientific arguments of all...then this should end up being quite an interesting forum!  :-)

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And yet, it isn't a contested scientific argument at all. It is in fact a laughable myth.

"Though an alluring idea, the "10 percent myth" is so wrong it is almost laughable, says neurologist Barry Gordon at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore. Although there's no definitive culprit to pin the blame on for starting this legend, the notion has been linked to the American psychologist and author William James, who argued in The Energies of Men that "We are making use of only a small part of our possible mental and physical resources." It's also been associated with to Albert Einstein, who supposedly used it to explain his cosmic towering intellect.

The myth's durability, Gordon says, stems from people's conceptions about their own brains: they see their own shortcomings as evidence of the existence of untapped gray matter. This is a false assumption. What is correct, however, is that at certain moments in anyone's life, such as when we are simply at rest and thinking, we may be using only 10 percent of our brains.

"It turns out though, that we use virtually every part of the brain, and that [most of] the brain is active almost all the time," Gordon adds. "Let's put it this way: the brain represents three percent of the body's weight and uses 20 percent of the body's energy."

lol

1. SimeyC profile image89
            SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's contested by Psychics all over the world smile

And a lot of scientists say that labelling the 10% statement as a myth is also misleading!

What do I think? 'If I only had a brain'!

1. Pcunix profile image91
              Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What "scientists"?

The 10% nonsense went out when we realized how hard it is to make a computer with even the brain power of a worm, never mind a large mammal.

Any "scientist" who contests that is an idiot.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

lol lol <--- coveted double laughie

What scientists?

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image62
                Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much an scientist who has read the research and looked at the scans of people's brains responding to different inputs. (Including me, an experimental psychologist).

That is a myth. Humans use all of their brains capacity and functionality.

1. melpor profile image91
        melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

TroubleMan is right, we use all of our brain. This is a misconception.  How can you use just a part of your brain?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lack of neural pathways which deliver information via electrical currents.  Alzheimer's sufferers are an extreme example of brain neural deficiency but many people fall in the grey area (no pun intended) and cannot understand why, no matter what they try, they can't seem to 'get it together'.

2. profile image0
    ThomasRydderposted 12 years ago

That's absolutely incorrect..how can you parallel the brain usage of someone who achieves a doctorate with one who digs ditches for a living? (with apologies to ditch diggers).

LOL! You're confusing an education with a lack of education, which has nothing to do with human brain functionality.

1. profile image0
        ThomasRydderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm not...I'm saying the person who achieved the doctorate used more of his brain than someone who is a high school grad...

Now, you're confusing effort to get an education with no effort to get an education.

1. profile image0

Nope...effort doesn't have anything to do with it. That's lack of initiative or funds or guidance. Scenario 1. A person goes to school, pursues an education, achieves a doctorate, goes on to be a surgeon. Scenario 2. A person attends high school, graduates with average grades, gets a job as a burger flipper at mickey d's. Taking all the little avenues like effort and those other convenients escapes away, the surgeon brain is utilized MUCH more than the drive up window guy.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
              Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

-or- A guy gets a highschool education and can't get anything but a job in the U.S. Patent Office...

-or- A guy barely gets through highschool, but at 9 years old writes a symphony that to this day is considered one of the greatest in human history...

-or- A guy is a lowly carpenter that never went to college at all and changes the world with the thoughts of his "under-used" brain...

-or- A guy goes to college gets a degree and can't even read...

I believe your self-image/self-esteem must be based on your degree or lack there of.

lol So, how did he get the degree?

Paid someone that can read... Cheated while he was really really good at sports. roll

Sorry, I don't buy that fairy tale.

2. profile image0

Ahhh...so we attack my self-esteem or supposed lack of self-esteem or education in lieu of an intelligent argument....what splendid technique

3. profile image0

example one might be a result of the economy
                example two someone who discovered their calling later in life
                example three-Jesus Christ is the Son of God...he has an advantage
                example four-that guy didn't apply himself.

Summary-none of these even address the subject at hand. Go find another conversation that deals with the economy or career planning.

Summary-none of these even address the subject at hand. Go find another conversation that deals with the economy or career planning.

Yes Sir!

On my way... hmm where is that hand salute smiley when I need him???

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Einstein is example one, did he use less of his brain than a surgeon?

Mozart was example two, did he use less of his brain?

roll

This guy is an example of the many professional athletes that have come out of colleges in the U.S. They applied themselves at thier sports, does that mean they have used less of thier brain? I think not.

***Try and keep up there Thomas.

And, nothing to do with brain functionality. Sure, there are lots of reasons why people don't get an education. But, to say one person uses 20% of their brains while another uses something else is pure baloney.

I fail to see your reasoning regarding the original claim? Again, you are confused.

1. profile image0

I'm not confused in the least. Ok...lets change the scenario. One...a person does the same as stated above. The doctorate, the careerr, blah blah. Now...backtrack...that SAME person goes to high school, graduates, and spends the rest of his days serviing in a restaurant....which picture uses more of his brain?

1. Pcunix profile image91
                  Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know.  The person waiting tables might have to be more agile negotiating around tables and customers while  balancing plates, remembering orders, keeping track of who is likely to be finishing up, and so on.  That could take considerably more brain effort than typing out a white paper.

Or consider those strange math savants who contort themselves in seeming agony as they multiply six digit numbers in their heads but don't know how to drive a car.  What is their brain doing?

1. profile image0

you may well be right...I can't argue that point at all. But the argument isn't who uses more...it's whether or not some use theirs more than others. And I absolutely think that some do.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Not necessarily, Thomas.  The high school student may be using as much voltage at his age and level as the grad student is using at his.

3. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

you can imagine the madness if every part of the brain was activated at once

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

all my neurons are always firing at a 100% clip...

except when I'm watching a hockey game on TV..

during which, they are in 'rest mode'.... much like a politician's.

5. profile image0
    ThomasRydderposted 12 years ago

oh, and by the way, mikel...don't bother taking pot shots at my self esteem and education. Both are hail and hearty and neither are threatened by your lack of decorum or ability to adhere to the subject at hand. Say something intelligent, or nothing at all..if you please.

6. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

When we look at BEAM (brain electrical activity map) scans, we see varying degrees of activity.  BEAMs assess electrical transmissions by measuring the four individual brain waves and brain wave combinations. 

The first measure of brain health is voltage which determines the brains electrical power.  The second measure is speed recorded in milliseconds.  The third measure is rhythm and the fourth measure is synchrony.

The brain is able to do what it does through electrical charges but is useless without the neural pathways (neurons, dendrites)that actually transmit information in the form of an electrical current.

If someone is missing one or more of the four primary biochemicals that make up the brain's code, brain waves suffer.

So in the case of the achiever vs the underachiever, Beethoven the child vs Mikey the nosepicker, it's simply a matter of brain chemistry.

Assuming all brain chemistry is in balance, beyond that, we can challenge our brains with tasks that are new to it.  That doesn't mean if you like to cook you should try a new recipe.  It means learning something completely outside our comfort zone.  New pathways will grow over time and the brain will become more efficient.

The med school student may not be challenging his brain any more than the surfer, the fry cook or the reader.  What matters is the degree to which this is a new challenge to the brain.

Medications, hormones, diet, lifestyle and environment can all effect brain function.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73

Nice.

yikes ...Mikey the nose-picker??? hmm

Sorry, I didn't mean you.  I guess I meant Cromagnum Man. (sp.?)

wink

I was joking (no offense taken) I simply thought it funny.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)