Why am I receiving hub information from people I'm not Folllowing?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

Hi,

I've noticed over the past few months that I appear to be receiving notification of hubs published by people I am not following?

I very purposely only follow a handful of people because I find it impossible to give any real focus to more than that.

The only possible explanation I can see is that I commented on the person's hub previously. The fact that I comment on someone's hub does not mean that I forgot to click that I wanted to follow that writer.

Please can you tell me if this feature can be switched off and if so how.

Thanks.

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you comment on any hub, there is a checkbox which has 'follow this hubs comments' - I think there is a global setting where you can uncheck this - but in my case I haven't set that and have to manually uncheck this flag when entering comments.

(you'll note there's the same thing for forum topics too!)

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not talking about comments. I'm talking about the person's new hubs (which haven't even been written at the time that I comment) showing up on my page as someone I'm following when I'm not following them... smile

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This has happened to me as well, only a few times, but not since November.

Also if you participate in weekly topic inspiration the newly published hubs will be sent to you.

2. profile image0
      Ari Lamsteinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sophia,

You should only be receiving email about new Hubs by authors who you are following.  We try to only send Hubbers information that they have signed up for.  Please forward the emails that you received in error to team@hubpages.com, including a link to this forum thread and a brief description of the problem.

Ari

3. profile image0

Hi Sophia,

I just spent some time looking into this.  It appears that you have the setting "When a Hubber that I am following publishes a new Hub" to never, so you should never receive these emails.  I have looked into our email history, and it appears that while we have sent you quite a bit of email in the last week, we have not sent you an email about a new Hub by an author you are following since November 10th.  Most of the notifications that we have sent you since then are about comments to Hubs.  Is this what you are seeing as well?

Ari

1. profile image0

Hi Ari, the hub appears on my hub 'feed' page, along with the hubs of hubbers I do follow. For a while I was receiving hubs on my 'feed' page from David russel. Now I'm receiving hubs from Xenonlit  Is there a way that there people can send me their hubs? If so, I don't think it should be allowed. It's spam! smile

1. HikeGuy profile image70
          HikeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sophia -- If you are following any topics, I think new hubs in those topics show up in your feed. I subscribe to several topics, so my feed includes new hubs in those topics --  including hubs by people I've never read before.

You might click the "following" tab on your account page. There are "unfollow" buttons you can click to unsubscribe to the topics. That's the only explanation I can think of. Hope this helps.

I don't think it has to do with leaving comments. I often comment without following the hubber and new hubs by those hubbers don't show up in my feed -- even when I'm following the comments.

1. profile image0

Hike Guy I am not following a single topic. I'm following 5 hubbers in total. The hubs that are appearing are a) from people that I commented on b) nothing to do with what they had been writing about previously, and were simply the first hubs that they wrote after I made the comments. In fact, I received the next few hubs from these people. I emailed the first person and they stopped afterwards. If hub pages hasn't set us up to receive hubs for people we comment on, then I can only think that some hubbers have discovered ways of broadcasting their hubs to fellow hubbers - which I don't like.

1. HikeGuy profile image70
              HikeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see why you're concerned. I hope you get a response from someone who can help.

2. profile image0
              Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

seems to be case with forum topics too - if I've made a comment in a forum category in the past?

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
              rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What do you want to show up on your feed? Only hubs from the 5 people you follow? hmm

How do you have your feed configured?

1. profile image0

Yes. I have it configured correctly. If you look above, Hubpages checked it. I am configured correctly. There are only two ways this could happen: a) some people know how to make their hubs appear by clicking on the share button b) Hub Pages now assumes that if one comments on someone else's hub, one wants to follow it and automatically put it on the feed

4. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

beats me, i really don't know

2. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

I'm getting that, too.  It seems I get hubs that are in any of the categories I've published one in...  Topics I AM NOT following.  Trust me, I checked.  I don't care that much, but it does clutter up my feed.

1. profile image0

Which is why I think that Hub Pages has done this. And precisely it does clutter up my feed. More importantly, sometimes I'm just being polite by commenting on someone's feed. I really don't want to read anything more of them. I think that this might be HP trying to get more activity on HP>

3. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

You have to remember to un-tick otherwise you will get emails etc from people you don't follow if you post on a post and not un-tick the follow box...

1. profile image0

Barry, I don't think you understand what I'm saying or asking. smile.

a) I emailed one person. I might have commented on their hub to be polite but don't recall. In any event, all the hubs they subsequently published after that got added to my feed. The only people one is supposed to see in one's feed are the people one follows. I did not follow this person. I subsequently emailed this person and told him I did not want to see his hubs in my feed and did he have any idea how they got there. I did not receive any further hubs. This might mean that someone has written some software to make it possible.
      b) Someone commented on something I wrote. I read one of his hubs and commented on it. Incidentally, his hub appeared in my feed. That's why I commented on it. Again, the only hubs that should appear in my feed are the hubs of people I follow. I am not following him. I've now had five or six of his hubs appear on my feed. I'm about to email him and tell him I don't want his hubs on my feed. What I'm trying to ascertain is if HP is involved in this because, according to hP, only hubs of people I follow can appear in my feed.

You got it??? smile

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I got it tongue

The same seems to be happening to me even thought I have unticked (follow this forum topic I still get emails about this thread...

2. profile image0

Sophia,

Thank you for clarifying what the issue is.  We are investigating.

Ari

1. profile image0

Thanks Ari. smile

3. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
        Fawntiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is currently possible for a story to appear in your feed if HubPages guesses that you might be interested in that story, even if you are not following the topic or person. If you do not find these stories interesting, then please "hide" them using the menu that appears when you mouse over the grey circle with the X on it in the top right corner of the story.

4. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Fawntia

You made your point! Enough said smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)