LDS say they have 14 million members

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (60 posts)
  1. profile image52
    passingthewordposted 12 years ago

Salt Lake City TribuneGraphing activity: When the Graduate Center of the City University of New York conducted an American Religious Identification Survey in 2001, it discovered that about the same number of people said they had joined the LDS Church as said they had left it. The CUNY survey reported the church's net growth was zero percent. By contrast, the study showed both Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh-Day Adventists with an increase of 11 percent.

On the question of how many Mormons are actively participating, Brigham Young University demographer Tim Heaton noted in the Encyclopedia of Mormonism that attendance at weekly sacrament meetings in the early 1990s was between 40 percent and 50 percent in Canada, the South Pacific, and the United States. In Europe and Africa, the average was 35 percent. Attendance in Asia and Latin America hovered around 25 percent.
    By multiplying the number of members in each area by these fractions, David G. Stewart Jr. estimates worldwide activity at about 35 percent - which would give the church about 4 million active members.
    Stewart, an active Mormon who served a mission to Russia in the early 1990s, has been conducting research on LDS missionary work in 20 countries for 13 years, examining census figures, and analyzing published data.
    The LDS Church claims that it has 12 million active members. The LDS Church counts members until they are 110 years old. Members who are excommunicated or have their membership removed are still counted among the membership of the Church. Inactive members and those who have moved on to other Churches are also still counted among the membership.

Another Lie from the LDS Church

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They might as well claim the entire population of the world, as I heard they are "saving the souls" of all citizens -- living and dead -- whether they want to be saved or not.
      I know a few atheists who would turn over in their graves if they knew about this.
      roll

1. profile image52
        passingthewordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They have even baptized for Hitler, in order to give him a chance for salvation in the next life.

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
          Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you better be able to prove this rather than state another "legend."
          Facts are facts. Half truths, rumors and lies are usually what these types of legends are made of.

Further, though I also grew up Mormon (and have no interest in any religion at present...they are all false to me), no matter how much you rant and rave about how awful or what lies that church may spread, it won't have any effect on those who choose to follow anyway. The same is true for any religion, or for that matter, any other organization. I am also of the opinion that Republicans and Democrats are also false religions. You don't see millions of Catholics leaving the church in droves over priests being pedophiles. Those who are devout are usually not going to be ambushed or derailed over any big issue because it's a deeply personal thing.

The bottom line, I have determined for myself is simply that I subscribed to this religion for a rather long period in my life, and I was very angry about what I perceived were all the "wrongs." But in the end, as long as I considered myself a victim, I got to be as negative and hateful about this and anything else I wanted rather than take responsibility for my life and decisions and move on without regret. And when I realized that, I no longer had to grind an axe, I allowed my devout Mormon loved ones to live their lives as they see fit, and I'm peacefully living mine as I see fit.

It's a better way. It's no surprise that the Mormon church's membership gains are a net zero. Those of us who have observed through the years already knew that, despite what is being publicized.

2. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good that LDS has 14 million members...who cares?...in end religions are human made thing...one follows x or one follows y ...in end how does that matter?...following something is normal human behavior...

1. profile image52

ok.....

3. emrldphx profile image60
      emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a question for you. Why Mormons?

Do you pursue all churches in your quest to out all lies?

1. profile image52

No. I grew up mormon and i have seen and heard all of the lies the lds church put out. I see how they manipulate the people.
        I was a missionary and i was taught to bend the truth and even flat out lie to people. And i was told by leaders of the LDS Church that it was for the good.
        If you read my posts and comments you can find out why I am finally expose all that I was told (By the LDS Church) to hide and lie about.

1. MissE profile image78
          MissEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keeping track of who is active or who is not in ANY church is NEVER going to add up.   When they talk about membership numbers they are talking about the number of people baptized into the church.  What lies are you referring to and where exactly is your proof that they are lies?  If it's out of your head (which I'm pretty sure it is) then that doesn't count.  Why did you choose HubPages as the place to spread your "word" around?  I assume, based on your score, that that is your sole purpose here.  I also notice that you have no picture.  If you're so sure of yourself, why don't you show your face?  Maybe you're afraid of  "the Mormon Mafia". big_smile  Why do you even go to BYU if you're SO against the LDS church?

1. profile image52

miss e, hello, I am here to reveal that the lds church lies about the most littlest things. When they talk about membership they are talking about membership. the lies of the church, just look at my history on the hub and you will see why i am here.
            I choose the hub to spread this because this i the safest way to do it. I started this hub when i was 18.
            My purpose on this hub is to reveal all that was hidden to me when i was growing up in the lds church. also to reveal all that i was told to lie about by the elders of the lds church when i was a missionary.
            Why do i stay anonymous? because i am not ready to be exiled by my parents, my old friends, everybody. If your a mormon i am sure you  know what happens to those that leave the church. People turn they're backs on you. Why BYU? I am stuck. I was forced to come here by my parents. But you know that is ok. I am apart of about a hundred students that know that the LDS faith is false and we are spreading the word around the BYu Campos and helping people see the light . That the lds church is false.

2. emrldphx profile image60

You were told by the LDS Church(which would come through official publication) to lie?

Do you have any evidence? That's a pretty bold claim.

1. profile image52

Look at the doctrine and you will see what iam talking about

1. emrldphx profile image60

In other words, you don't have any evidence that the Church told you to lie?

1. MissE profile image78

Exactly.  All I hear are empty statements.  "Look at the doctrine", which part?  Is there a specific doctrine, or all of it that you think is a lie?  Are you anti-christian as well then?  Is it the jello salad you hate?  You know that's a Utah thing right?  Maybe it's the Cougars.  Who told you you going to BYU was part of the Mormon doctrine?  You're right.....that is a lie.  You've probably guessed that I am Mormon by now.  Well spotted.  My sisters and my Dad are not members anymore.  Do I hate them?  No.  Have I turned my back on them.  Not even close.  Here's more news.  I'm a UT Longhorns fan.  I was rubbing that win in all my BYU friends faces......and they still talk to me.  It does sound like you have some misconceptions there.  Looking forward to your response to JasonCulley.  He makes some good points.

1. profile image52

Man the lds love to us that anti word.
                  Read the rest of my post and you will see what i was told to lie about.
                  And if you don't believe in what i posted that means you are an  "anti mormon"
                  Do you even know what anti means when it is talked about in the bible? It means instead of (anti christ instead of Christ). So you are calling me and instead of Christian. Ok I’ll call you an instead of mormon.

2. profile image52

Hey emridphx next time i ll get you video.

1. MissE profile image78

You're still not talking doctrine here.  Statistics are not the doctrine of any church.

3. profile image0
                Cranfordjsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@emrldphx It's really ironic when you are pressing someone for evidence, in regards to a statement made against a religion, a religion whose entire existence is based on no "evidence".

3. pennyofheaven profile image78
          pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't worry too much. TV and the media have a much greater influence than any religion.

4. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All religions lie about numbers. I dont think it is deliberate though. Ask a muslim and a christian which is the fastest growing faith on the planet. I guarantee they will both disagree.

5. profile image0
      Cranfordjsposted 12 years agoin reply to this
    6. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any person who takes an active cause to destroy or defame another person's faith should not be listened to.  They have a personal axe to grind which blinds them from all other trains of thought or reason.

I've been in LDS leadership for decades and I know that our stats are as honest as they can be. 

...but to each his own...

1. profile image52

goldenpath long time.
        What I have shared and will share are all words spoken by lds prophets and from Books that are in Good standings with the LDS church.
        So why would you not listen to what I have to say?
        You are apart of the leadership, so you should know this.

2. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Most religions do lie about their numbers, especailly in the westernized world.  Even in census reports you will see a huge disparity between actual and reported statistics.

3. JasonCulley profile image60
    JasonCulleyposted 12 years ago

passingtheword . . . I came across some of your posts the last few days and was wondering a few things as I read more of them.  Now I am not going to get into a religious debate with you on a public forum.  What you believe is what you believe and what I believe is what I believe and words on a computer screen will not change either one of our beliefs.  I am not sure what happened to you since you haven't really shared that.  You say you went on a mission and was told to lie?  Lie about what?  Mormon young men normally go on a mission after turning 19 in the US right?  You posted this -

Looking at when you joined it says 11 months ago.  Eleven months ago you were 18?  So When did you go on a mission? 

Like I said I read some of your posts and it seems your main purpose is to bash a church and its members, one you used to be part of.  Why not make better use of your time and spread what you believe instead of the latter.

That is very unfortunate if your parents, old friends would exile you because you don't share their beliefs anymore.  You can't change your parents but maybe you need to find some different friends.  I know many people who are in your situation (non-believers or in-active in the church) and not one of them has been exiled by their loved ones, in fact just the opposite. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I am interested in hearing your reply.

1. profile image52

wow 11 months ago. Well i was 19 at that time. I graduated high school at age 17. I left on my mission shortly after age 18 (special circumstances). And I only did 6 months again (special circumstances). But that is enough info.

I was told to lie about the seed of Cain, what was taught what should happen when the seed of Cain marries the chosen race.
      That Joseph Smith never added his 2 sense to his translation.
      The Book of Abraham. This is just a few
      All of my posts are a small part of all that i was told to stay hidden.

Why do i do this? Because this is the safest why to do it. And I want people to know what they are getting into when the decide to become a mormon.

1. emrldphx profile image60

No missionaries go before turning 19, I know that much about the LDS.

1. profile image52

ok if you say so.

1. MissE profile image78

Ummmmm... it's the absolute truth.  There are no special circumstances.  It isn't like college or high school where you can graduate early.  You go when you're 19.  Period.  Thanks for exposing your own lies so clearly so that we can disregard everything else you've said.

1. profile image52

ok miss e. you must not be a mormon. or maybe a anti mormon lol.
              There is so much that you think you know about the lds faith that i am sure you are  ignorant about.
              Like do you know that the early church taught that God was Adam and Michael the arch angle.
              Just a small taste of the crap taught by the lds church. i could go on and on. but your will see more post about these false teaching. The lies of the LDS church.
              check my post on the book of Abraham. tell me what you think or am lying.

1. MissE profile image78

LOL!  Wow........ I really don't have much to say other than that.   Twisting the truth again I see.....I'll have to check the post later.  Busy.

1. profile image52

missE what am i twisting? Adam God doctrine. You must not understand what you believe.
                  Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, pp.50-51, He (Adam) is Michael, the Archangel, the Ancient of Days…He (Adam) is our Father and our God, and the only God with whom we have to do.

Millennial Star (was replaced by Ensign in 1970), vol. 16, p.530, Elder James A. Little confessed:"I believe in the principle of obedience; and if I am told that Adam is our Father and our God, I just believe it."

Millennial Star,vol.15, p. 801 (1853) Editorial,Adam is really God.
                  Millennial Star,vol.15, p. 825 (1853) Editorial, "It has been said that Adam is the God and Father of the human family."
                  Millennial Star,vol.16, p. 482 (1854) Conference Report, "Polygamy has been gotten over pretty well ... but they are troubled about Adam being our Father and God.
                  Millennial Star,vol.16, p. 534 (1854) Franklin D. Richards, "Adam is our Father and God ... the Prophet and Apostle Brigham has declared it, and that it is the word of the Lord."
                  Wilford Woodruff Diary, vol. 4, p. 129 (April 9, 1852)Wilford Woodruff 4th President, Adam is Michael or God.
                  Wilford Woodruff Diary, vol. 6, p. 381 (December 16, 1867) Wilford Woodruff, Joseph also taught Adam-God.
                  Women of Mormondom, p. 179 (1877) Edward Tullidge, "Adam is our Father and God. He is the God of the earth. So says Brigham Young."
                  You must believe this because this is what you prophets said. If you don't you are an anti mormon.

1. pennyofheaven profile image78
                    pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. So what was Eves role if Adam was God?

2. JasonCulley profile image60
            JasonCulleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

passingtheword . . . what were the special circumstances that you were able to go on a mission before turning 19?

1. JasonCulley profile image60

No answer huh passingtheword? Maybe because you didn't really go?  My intentions on HubPages was never to discuss religion, my beliefs or others beliefs.  Religion is a personal choice up to each individual.  Everybody has the ability to decide what they want to believe in or not believe in.  I ask again, why do you spend your time bashing one church in the forums instead of producing Hubs with topics and subjects that you believe in as far as religion goes.

1. profile image52

I have a father who is a stake president and a grandfather who was one of the Quorum of the 70 and other special circumstances but it is none of you concern at this time. And if you don't believe my thats ok. Things are made to happen when the right people want it to get done.
                I am doing what i believe. Not bashing but telling the truth. I am share what is not told to people when they are introduced to the church.
                You have not check out my forum on the book of Abraham. Check it out and tell me what you think.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

14 mil. Hmmmm...are they all voting for Mitt?

1. MissE profile image78

It's quite possible. Bwahahahahaha....
      Actually I have a few friends (Mormon) that are hard core Ron Paul supporters.  Go figure. big_smile

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dear God, I hope not. LOL
      I think they are confused because Jon Huntsman is also running, who is also Mormon.
      There are a few democrats in Mormondom, but very few. They are mostly acknowledged with eye rolls.

Jon is an independent thinker and was a very, very good governor for the state of Utah. But he won't win because he's a dark horse. Even if the whole country voted conservative, it would take the race of 2016 to put him in office since he lacks a lot of visual presence. Either that, or a divine miracle.

So far, I haven't found anyone that impresses me enough to vote for them. I'm hoping Hilary will wake up and smell the coffee and come to the table. Otherwise this will be a one-sided race.

1. MissE profile image78

Hilary?!  BHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh wait.........were you serious?!

3. profile image52

well most of them are not even alive.

5. profile image0
    darknight444posted 12 years ago

i belive it will help cristianity survive islam

1. MissE profile image78

Whaaaaa.....?

6. JasonCulley profile image60

passingtheword . . . I was just going off what you said.  I read you started doing the HUB thing when you were 18 and looking at your profile it says you joined 11 months ago.  So that would lead a reasonably educated person to believe you joined when you were 18.

1. profile image52

i responded above

1. JasonCulley profile image60

Yes you responded above but not really to my question?  No worries.

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

that's A LOT of special religious underwear!

1. MissE profile image78

Just couldn't help yourself........

1. profile image52

LDS church teaching is so out there. Joseph smith had a good imagination.

2. profile image52

MissE check out my forum on the Book of Abraham. I would like your point of view on it.

8. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I love Mormons, man! They are the bomb!!! big_smile

1. MissE profile image78

tick....tick...tick......big_smile

9. JasonCulley profile image60

I have read your forum posts but like I said I did not join HubPages for religious debates.  Thanks for sharing your circumstances and I hope you can find the strength and courage to tell your family how you really feel someday.

10. Perspycacious profile image63
    Perspycaciousposted 12 years ago

I for one am ready to read passingtheword's first Hub, and if you have been waiting for the whole 11 months now, I have an idea how you feel.  The objective seems to be to single out Mormons and use HubPages as a social media site to do so.  Nice to have passingtheword's comments to ponder and weigh.

11. whoisbid profile image61
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

There is a mormon in my office and he is one of the more honest workers in the company. He does not drink or smoke and he is polite to people of all religions. I think that people are being unfair when they categorize all LDS members the same way

1. profile image52

I am not talking about People of today. I am talking about the LDS doctrine and its founders.

Do you know anyother people that are Good people and don't drink or smoke? Are mormons the only ones that don't drink or smoke?

12. MissE profile image78
    MissEposted 12 years ago

I'm super busy with Christmas and did not join Hubpages for it's religious debates.  I'll probably comment on the Adam/God Theory later.  Yes, of course I've heard of it.  Anti-Mormons love to harp on that.  We know what lies are out there.  I think you're a poser passingtheword.  If you had really gone on a mission and therefore through the temple you would know that the LDS do not profess to believe that.  Anywho, I just ran across this article that Ford put out about my church.  If anyone is curious about reading about Mormons, this is a short page of bullet points that are very fair and pretty accurate.  The Ford Co. has an interfaith group to promote understanding and tolerance among it's workers.  That pretty much rocks.
    http://thefamily.com/?p=18949

1. profile image52

You are right MissE. The LDS church does not believe in the Adam/God Doctrine "ANYMORE".
      Spoken by LDS Prophet Brigham Young (Publicly) Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, pp.50-51, He (Adam) is Michael, the Archangel, the Ancient of Days…He (Adam) is our Father and our God, and the only God with whom we have to do.  Michael had been previously identified by Joseph Smith as "Adam, the father of all, the prince of all, the ancient of days" (LDS D&C 27:11, added to early text in 1835).

Millennial Star (was replaced by Ensign in 1970), vol. 16, p.530, Elder James A. Little confessed:"I believe in the principle of obedience; and if I am told that Adam is our Father and our God, I just believe it."
      Millennial Star,vol.15, p. 801 (1853) Editorial,Adam is really God.
      If you think I am a poser that is ok. But the words that i share are not my words. They are LDS doctrine and you can't deny that.
      Ford will do anything to get people to buy their cars.
      Adam/God doctrine was taught by the church but like cults when they what to change their minds they do it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)