25 "Worst Passwords" of 2011 Revealed

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (28 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"If you see your password below, STOP!

Do not finish reading this post and immediately go change your password -- before you forget. You will probably make changes in several places since passwords tend to be reused for multiple accounts."

1. password

2. 123456

4. qwerty

5. abc123

6. monkey

7. 1234567

8. letmein

9. trustno1

10. dragon

11. baseball

12. 111111

13. iloveyou

14. master

15. sunshine

16. ashley

17. bailey

18. passw0rd

19. shadow

20. 123123

21. 654321

22. superman

23. qazwsx

24. michael

25. football

Much more info at:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/25-worst- … 55980.html

1. rbe0 profile image61
      rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whoever stole my password and posted it on the internet in this article is a total a-hole!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's what I do. lol

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

and...password123 and welcome

sometimes techy folks set things up for some of us and then some of us forget to change the password (not me)

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

A sporadic PSA bump.

4. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Someone somewhere is upset that all their passwords have been used up by being posted online wink smile

1. imkd profile image60
      imkdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No absolutely not... two password are mine listed above but happy to see them there big_smile

5. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

I find it interesting that "ashley" is a common password - I wonder why? Thanks for the PSA, paradigmsearch!

6. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 12 years ago

phew *wipes brow* glad none of mine made the list. That was amusing thanks for that. smile

7. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

very interesting.  It is hilarious that people actually use the word "password" as their password.  I can understand using their own name as it is easy to remember.. but a dead giveaway.  But still, "password"??? lol

I use several letters (mix with lower and upper case) with numbers, but still my hotmail email account got hacked a few months ago.  I heard many hotmail accounts had been hacked, so it must be hotmail.  It's a jungle out there!

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine got hacked and I can't retrieve it...
      It says it will send a confirmation to my mobile but I tried plenty of times to no avail.

8. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

my password is 2011

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Whew - glad "b!tchslap" isn't on the list!

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

damn that was mine! lol

2. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

10. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5803270_f248.jpg

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Mornin' all! What are you guys doing today? I'm going to have to tear myself away from the puter and get to chopping, dicing, slicing, and baking for tomorrow's feast! If any of you are in South GA tomorrow, like on your way to FL, stop and eat with us!

12. georgescifo profile image74
    georgescifoposted 12 years ago

you might have missed the password "love"

1. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cant think of any common services that allow a four letter password anymore

a good password should be alpha numeric, use caps if possible and even incorporate special characters!

13. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

i read this same item (OP) in the local newspaper this a.m.

14. CZCZCZ profile image89
    CZCZCZposted 12 years ago

I find it hilarious that after all these years the top is still just simply password and 123456, who is actually still doing this.  Use a pets name and street address, or a grandparents middle name and your birthyear or something besides password.  Heck just use a pattern that is easy to smash on the keyboards that is random and use the shift to start or end the pattern.  Anything can be better than simply password

15. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 12 years ago

The password to my server is incredibly insecure. It'd be out in seriously seconds under a dictionary attack. I'd picked it after a recent format knowing it wasn't going back online. I'm taking it apart.

16. paradigmsearch profile image60

Over the next year, I bet 121212 (and variations thereof) are going to make the list.

17. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

Those are passwords you use on things that don't matter only, lol.

Using a password like that is how you get "hacked"

18. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Good thing I'm dyslexic.
    My password is drowssap.
    Shhhhh. Don'ttell anyone.

19. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I am interested in knowing how you came up with this list of 25 bad passwords - and who does this kind of research?  Thing is, who is out there answering the survey "For scientific study purposes only, please tell us your password(s)"  who?  I mean, if I was stupid enough to use "mypassword" would I be dumb enough to reveal it?  come on now.  or is this just on of your paradigm searchs?  I bet it is!  that explains it!  haha.  fooled me!

20. Rising Caren profile image79
    Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

If I look at my passwords on  different sites, I can tell how long I've been on it.

I have some very weak passwords out there on sites I joined as a tween/teen, stronger when I reached 17/18, stronger still around 20 and now my passwords are much much stronger.

Though I admit, if it's not a site I worry about, I sometimes use my passwords from my last password age, so it's not a completely accurate way to track evolution of my passwords over time.

Of course, I'd never be lazy enough to just use "password". I think my stupidest password ever was asdf;lkj .I used that one in 8th grade after I learned how to type.

21. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

You wonder who does this? An administrator at a school used 123456 recently and was discovered when a student got into records and started playing. Everyone was dumbfounded. Luckily the kid was doing things to show the admin how stupid it had been and didn't cause actual damage. He just sent Nyaah, nyaah messages apparently!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)