Being Pressured to Have Children

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

Many people have children because they are pressured by their parents, society, and religion to have children.   We are living in a pro-natalist culture where there is reward for having children.   People who chose not to have children are often considered irresponsible, immature, and selfish.   However,  those same people thought about the pros and cons before they decided not to have children.   These people are happy regarding their lifestyle as they refuse to cave into convention.   Why there is immense pressure for people, especially women, to have children?   Many people have children much to their regret!

1. Alecia Murphy profile image72
      Alecia Murphyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the thing is that so many people consider it to be fulfilling the purpose of being a woman. To me, it depends on the woman. I'd like to have kids but I want to be realistic in terms of selecting a mate, the time period, and the financial feasibility of doing it. I feel like if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish I would have been realistic when I selected a mate. lol

1. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol     

(I thought I WAS being realistic.  It didn't help necessarily do any good.   smile  )

2. pelt545 profile image39
      pelt545posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course, I may be pressure or expected to be with a woman of the same race, get married, and have kids. But, I would have kids whenever I am willing, ready, and able.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Maybe 'one size fits all' is the easiest thing to comprehend.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

If you are a person supporting yourself in your own household no amount of "pressure" should be able to cause you to make a new life you don't really want to care for.

I plan to remain childless, and in a way it is selfish. But that's okay. I give in other ways.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that's selfish at all.

4. S G Hupp profile image81
    S G Huppposted 12 years ago

If you don't want them, it is in no way selfish not to have them.  Be honest with yourself...I think there is a lot of pressure on people (especially from their families) to have children, but in reality, raising children completely redirects your life.  If you don't want them, don't have them.

1. kerryg profile image82
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I would even say that if you don't want children, it is MORE selfish to have them than not to have them, because in that case, if you do have them it will be only to relieve the social pressure on yourself and you will probably end up resenting them. Kids can be hugely disruptive to your life even when you do want them. When you don't.... My mom is more than 50 years old and still bears the emotional scars of growing up unloved and unwanted by one of her parents. It's not pretty.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1. Especially that last bit.

I realised when I was in my early twenties that I didn't want children, for a range of reasons including the fact that I'm just not used to them (I was an only child), and also because I was the product of a marriage where my mum wanted kids but my dad didn't. Cue divorce procedings and a whole range of other fallout that I won't go into.

I made up my mind that I wouldn't even CONSIDER having kids unless I met a man whom I thought would be both a good husband and a good (and willing) father, and who had sorted out his own "issues" and was able to commit both time and finances to bringing up a family.

That particular man didn't materialise for me (and tbh, I might not have recognised him if he had). But I'm not at all unhappy about that and I think it was for the best.

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

I wish I could have children, even one, but I can't due to a messed up body internally. The world is an ever shrinking place, so I do believe people should keep the quantity of children they have down to 2 or less for the sake of the planet and its resources. I would think this makes perfect sense to the majority of thinkers!

6. Marcy-Lipton profile image60
    Marcy-Liptonposted 12 years ago

I completely see your point and I am in total agreement now.

We are conditioned by the industrial powers and the media that making more worker drones is a good thing. Its in all of the propaganda vehicles; love romance comedies, religion, books etc..

on the other hand, my opinion might change

7. Tater2tot profile image57
    Tater2totposted 12 years ago

I want kids but not for a long time... not until my late late 20s. I want to be able to enjoy my life without having the pressure to take care of someone else. But I know that kids can be a joy later on in life so I still want them.

8. Teresa Coppens profile image91
    Teresa Coppensposted 12 years ago

Having children is a very personal decision.  The demands of even one child are exceedingly high emotionally and financially.  Every child however is a gift and child bearing is not to be taken lightly.  I thought very long and hard before I decided having children was right for both my husband and myself.  All three of my boys have been a blessing that I've never regretted.  They have enriched my life in ways I could not have anticipated.  But, having children is not the right choice for everyone.  As a teacher, I see so many who are feeling unloved and definitely not cared for.  Sometimes the decision to have children is not out of love but for other reasons.  Bad decisions always affect the children the most!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)