Any rule of thumb about how long your Title should be?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

I know how important it is to give your Title meaning, but how long is too long?  On some of mine that I include photos and instructions, if I say that in the Title, it gets pretty long, but I want people to know that info.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

From an SEO perspective I have heard that Google only pays attention to the first 60 characters.

mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

1. Cardisa profile image88
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

60 characters is what Google says. They only crawl the first 60 anyway so more than that is a waste.

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Mornin', Mary and UW!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Good morning, Habee. How are you today?

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great! My daughter, 3 of the grands, and I are about to go out of town for some Christmas shopping. How have you been?

Hi habee, are you going into the BIG city of Atlanta to shop?? I see  you have a new Hub.  Have to check it out.  Have fun!

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope, Mary. We went to the big city of Albany! lol. Toys R Us, Old Navy, shoe stores, a department store, and out to lunch. When we got back to our town, we went grocery shopping. I'm whipped!

UW, best of luck in your job search!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I'm okay. Still looking for a full-time job. Writing every day and trying to make that my full-time job smile

6. QuestionMaster profile image79
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

Long enough to get your keywords in while still making sense to the viewer. smile

7. TinaAtHome profile image66
    TinaAtHomeposted 12 years ago

I was advised 8 words and 5 key words.

8. Time Spiral profile image80
    Time Spiralposted 12 years ago

I have not seen a correct answer here yet, so I will tell it to you.

No, there is no 'rule of thumb' as to the length of the title in the SEO perspective that you're talking about.

The idea that Google only looks at 60 characters is absurd, and incorrect.

The entire SEO market is so completely full of sh%@ and dirty practices, and BS, that I'd be extremely careful taking too much of anything they say into consideration. I'm not saying there is no merit in the field, obviously there is, but it's a dirty, dirty, filthy industry.

Your title should only do one thing: Set an extremely clear and succinct expectation for the reader. That's it.

I take the organic approach to SEO. Write stellar content and it will naturally be optimized for the web. Focusing too much on stuffing keywords into H tags should always be an after thought.

Thanks for much for the "correct" answer.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No need to be insulting... as I said... I have heard that. I didn't know we had such an expert here..

But yes, the title should tell the person exactly what they want to know about your article. I also stay away from keyword stuffing and just let it happen naturally.

1. Kurant82 profile image60
        Kurant82posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, Touche (That one was for you :]) Universal Writer, haha Time Spiral I am sorry we are not as advanced intellectually as you may be. For the love of god I am so sick of people saying SEO this and SEO that. The awnser is simple you should keep your titles short and sweet, and to the point so it is easier for search engines to place your topic in order for people to find it. This will make sure your topic shows up and in search results more often.  You should try this in order to attract greater traffic. Hopefully Time Spiral does not insult my own mental copacity after reading my awnser. :] no hard feelings Time Spiral.

9. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 12 years ago

Should the length of the title really matter? We are seeing a full photo of your hub on the search engine. Neat and curious photos will most likely make them come.

As seen on Google front page.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5780835_f248.jpg

thanks for showing me this, ngureco, I should check my Hubs more often to see how (or if) they show on Google.

Hey folks, I didn't mean to start an arugument here.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry... I'm over it now smile

big_smile Good

10. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

To whom it may concern?

Please use Google search and pick any topic you would like to search for. When YOU look at the search engine results, then LOOK at the results with knowing this...

If your title is TOO long, then Google will only display a 60-65 character title. The REST of your title will END in ..........? Your searcher will only have a vague idea of what your hub is about. It might not be enough of an idea, that they click to read.

If your title is under 60 characters, then Google will display your entire title.

You only need to do a search to prove what I said true or not. From an SEO perspective, your URL and TITLE should have keyword richness.

11. mother knows best profile image60
    mother knows bestposted 12 years ago

Children, children can't we all just get along here! ;P lol Sorry I couldn't resist....

12. Time Spiral profile image80
    Time Spiralposted 12 years ago

Yeah, my goodness. Why is everyone jumping all over me here?!

It is true that in one search engine result page, google's, only a certain amount of your title is shown, but google knows your entire page, so the entire title is determined in the search algorithm. but the aesthetics of the way your title looks in a search engine result page is only one consideration and is not more important than the content of your title.

And yes I am an expert but that does not mean my suggestions are infallible. Don't get so defensive. It is very unnecessary.

Follow the guidelines in my original response and you will have effective titles.

My overall point is very simple. SEO should be an after thought, not an impetus. Your title should be succinct and designed for the human viewer.

1. QuestionMaster profile image79
      QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is it just me or did you contradict yourself in that post?

"But google knows your entire page, so the entire title is determined in the search algorithm."

"Your title should be succinct and designed for the human viewer."

So wait, do you want us to write for Google or human viewers?

2. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am also an SEO Expert, not tooting my own horn but I have been doing this for years and I have a track record with both small businesses and large corporations.

I can say right here and right now that SEO is about more than just serps, it is about aesthetics too.  A well formated search listing is much more likely to be clicked than a page which has a title longer than 60 words, especailly if the keywords drop off the end of the title. 

Search engine optimization is just that, you are not just optimizing for the position of your result, you are trying to maximize the CTR too. A bad looking page title can drop CTR by over 70% (shown in testing).

While the actual length of the title tag has inconclusive results on both sides of the argument, one thing is for certain, keywords should be as close to the beginning of the Title tag as possible. The further your keywords are from teh begining of the tag teh less impact they have.  It has also been shown that broader title tags are much less effective than niche title tags, which means longer title tags can have a negative effect on SERPs.

This means that longer title tags are not only generally irrelevant, but the truncation also looks unprofessional, gives a lower CTR, and worst of all it means that social media sharing looks messy, so you have a lower social media engagement.

The title should be designed for the user, as you said, which is why a ~60 character limit is a good idea, it provides a good user experience. Just because Google crawls over 60 characters doesn't mean it is a good idea to have more than 60 characters.

13. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I saw this the other day on Searchengineland - a short excerpt from Dexter with a snarky seo comment and a couple of industry videos on SEO. 

http://searchengineland.com/why-do-holl … ame-102041

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)