Hub starting at 45

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

I had the idea that hubs started at 50 so am wondering why my latest is only at 45?

1. nicregi profile image65
      nicregiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi there. It will jump from time to time due to traffic and how popular it is with search engines. It will change day by day so no worry about it.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's not what we are talking about.  We are speaking of the starting score - the score it has when you first hit "Publish".  No search engine has seen it before then.

2. Felixedet2000 profile image58
      Felixedet2000posted 12 years agoin reply to this

it will definitely go up, emphases are laid on title names, the higher the ranking of you title the better for the hub initial traffic, that is not to say that the hub will necessarily be your best.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

They have been starting at 45 for a while now.

Have they?

I noticed a few of mine that were below 50 when I first hit "Publish" but others were above.

I know there is some aging that affects the score even before it is published, but I suspect there is more to it because the only aging most of mine get is the time my fingers spend banging in the text.

2. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You could make sure they are grouped, and also twee the crap out of them. Watch for spelling.

3. Bard of Ely profile image79

OK, thanks for explaining!

4. timburton287 profile image60
    timburton287posted 12 years ago

Hi, I'm newbie here, just want to know which score is more important if I want to have dofollow links: the hubs score or the author score?

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Scores are really not important.. Your hub score has to be above 40 and profile score over 75 that is the only significance of your scores here,.

@ Bard.. sometimes I have poetry hubs starting below 50 as I generally do not do too much of a keyword search for poetry..

1. timburton287 profile image60
        timburton287posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I'm reading some useful hubs about how to increase profile score here.

5. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

7 hours... You have my attention. Or not.

6. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Nice hub. But need to break it up. Just my opinion.

7. nicregi profile image65
    nicregiposted 12 years ago

Got what you mean but even for me, I see my hubs (unpublished) jump from 45 to 50 even 61 at times. Didn't really thought about it as I update then without publishing from time to time until they are ready for the 'world' smile

Sorry couldn't answer your question much but for me, it seems normal.

8. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Don't be the least bit put off by that, though off putting it seems.

I've had em' start off at 45...which caused me to wonder if I'd started a hub about a topic that was, perhaps, ....overly present on site.

It doesn't matter, original writing will always wind up with the type of performance that you'd want.

9. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I just checked by switching to another tab just after starting a hub.

Yes, they start at 45 now.  Some will be higher when you actually hit "Publish" and some won't..

1. bgamall profile image68

I started some on the critique of libertarianism that started at over 50. That was just recently.

I wonder if that would be the same now?

I don't like that starting at 45. It would limit my enthusiasm.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The starting score is just based upon the title.  I've had them start out at 45 and above 50 recently.

I'm convinced that it has to do with....title keywords, is all.

2. Pcunix profile image90

They won't necessarily be 45 when you hit "Publish".  Of the last three I did, one was at 44, one was 53 and the other was 51.

But you will see 45 if you use another tab to go look just after you create it.

1. bgamall profile image68

Interesting. That seems to ease my concerns.

It also changes quickly.  The one I did yesterday is now at 63, the day before that is 74.

It's a meaningless number anyway.

10. HikeGuy profile image70
    HikeGuyposted 12 years ago

I've had them start at anywhere from 47 to 53 -- it doesn't seem to have any bearing on the hub's score and performance.

11. timburton287 profile image60
    timburton287posted 12 years ago

My hub score is 54 two days ago. And now it's 74. What can affect a hubscore?

12. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I'm a very slow writer, so most of mine start at about 52 and go up as I work on them. Never had one start at 45, but had one at 49 one time. I usually work on a Hub over a few days and sometimes it will hit 70 before I even publish.

13. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

I'm not too concerned where they start.  I wait for the score to rise to 75 then I sell.

14. Bard of Ely profile image79

Well I usually post them the same day I do them so I don't forget about them! I am in a 30-day challenge again so need to get on with getting them out there I feel!

15. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

I have noticed over the last 10 months that what appears to be the deciding factors in the score of a hub (pre publication or just after publication) are the words in the tittle.

For example if the words in your title are common, not in a niche category, the starting score will be rather low and will slowly increase once it is saved/published as the words in its title begin to be searched for. If the title words are uncommon  or niche, then they start out with higher score and goes up quicker.

I have tried this "experiment" several times with the same results.
    I write a hub with the tittle that I want the URL to contain. Just before saving it I change the main title (the URL wont change no matter how many times I change the title) to one word, then save the hub.

Usually, no matter how many words, amount of photos etc..., the starting score is rather low (45-48). I then change the words in the title to what they were originally meant to be and the starting score goes up by about 3 points....cool

1. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Luis, you have saved our bacon!

After reading this,  I changed my last title that started at 49, even with photos, lots of nuggets, spell checking and an hour and a half of work on what should have been a catchy topic. 

Then I tweeted, feedsharked, facebooked, Google plus oned and will Digg. That's it! 

Next, I will work on keywords, which I still do not understand.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Xenonlit, I'm pretty sure the Big G takes a pretty poor view of us +1 our own hubs. Honestly, check it out with other hubbers but I'm sure I've heard they do. I'm sure one wont make much difference, so just to let you know.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do not Google +1 your own hubs, this is a no no in Google's eyes.

As far as key words, think of it this way; If you were asked to describe your article using only single words what would they be. Those should be your key words......cool

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand why +1'ing your own article is a no no with Google. Google Plus is just another social network, and no-one seems to mind if we 'Share' on Facebook or 'Tweet' on Twitter in order to show our friends and acquaintances our latest work. +1'ing is the same thing, and you can even choose who to share the article with. Have you any links you can post here that go to a Google TOS page which says we should not +1 our own stuff in order to share it with our friends etc as I would like to know the details? Thanks

16. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

From what I know in Twitter, Facebook you are posting your article to be seen by others. Google +1 is like giving yourself a vote up. At least this is what I have read on this site as well as on two other sites....cool

I think this information may be incorrect then. I have used it a few times and it behaves pretty much the same a Facebook and Twitter. All you need to do is click on +1, then immediately click on the box that pops up. You now have the option to 'share' it. in exactly the same way as you do with Facebook, no difference. Try it and you will see what I mean, (if you have a Google Plus account) you can even add a comment, and if you click on the word 'public' is says "Visible to anyone who has added you to a circle, as well as on your public profile". This really is just another social network that allows you to notify your friends when you have a new article published, or when you want to share someone else's that you like.

I think you are confusing +1 with sharing on plus.google.com.

The latter is exactly like sharing on Facebook or wherever and that's fine.  The former is a vote for a page and the general idea is that you shouldn't be voting for yourself.

In reality, it doesn't matter.  Unlike FB "Like", you can only use +1 while logged in to Google, so you can't vote more than once as the same person.  One vote isn't anything that will cause Google to notice.

Even 500 votes doesn't seem to matter.  That's how many I've accumulated at my main site, yet when I ask Webmaster Tools to tell me about Audience Characteristics, it tells me that I'm an insignificant turd:  "Your site doesn't have enough +1's yet to show characteristics."

I don't vote for myself out of principle.  I DO share on plus.google.com, but I don't do that through those multi-purpose +1 buttons.   I go to my page and share from there.

So, final answer:  I don't think you should vote for yourself and maybe Google doesn't either but I wouldn't expect that they care because your one vote is unimportant.

Here's a great example.  I just used "scroogle.org" to check where one of my pages is.  I'm 14 on page one and http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki … s_and_Sudo  is two above me at 12.   That LHN page has (or had right now) TWO Google +1 votes.  My sudo page has 41.

So even 41 votes vs. 2 doesn't matter as much as other factors.

This leaves me confused then. Why does clicking on the +1 symbol at the top right of a hub open the 'share' box that allows me to do exactly the same as I do with Facebook, i.e. leave a comment and share with my circles? Surely there should be two separate icons then, one to vote an article up, and one to share it on Google Plus, but instead it is all on one button!

I should add I am not interested in the 'vote up' aspect of it for myself. I am interested in the easy ability to share it with my circles in the same way as I tweet and share on Facebook. It is made much easier when all three buttons are in a row at the top of the article instead of having to log in to Google Plus separately to the others in order to share the newly published article with my circles.

I agree.  There SHOULD be two separate actions.  Google screwed up, IMO.   

But as I said, your one vote is so completely unimportant it is hard to imagine that Google cares.  I just won't do it myself, but I'd be gobsmacked if it turned out that Google cared about that.

17. Bard of Ely profile image79

Well I am totally confused now seeing as I don't know what a +1 is or where to find it! Perhaps I have been missing out again?

The button is at the top of every hub right there with the Facebook stuff.

If you would like to join G+,  I think it is now open to all - just go to http://plus.google.com

If that doesn't work, see the "Find me at Google+ also." on my profile here.

18. Bard of Ely profile image79

Thanks for the info!

19. Bard of Ely profile image79

I am already in Goggle Plus it appears. I found the +1 symbol but still not sure if it's OK to click it! It is all so ridiculously complex and for what Google pay now is it worth caring?

It sounds as if it won't be an issue if you click it Steve, and at least it will allow you to notify your circles in Google Plus that you have a new hub published so they can come and read it. I am sorry you aren't doing well with Google right now, but if I recall correctly you are on HPAds so naturally your Google income will have dropped to a very low amount as there is only one Ad block being paid by them now. On the plus side a large part of your HPAds income is from Google Ads, it is just the revenue is being paid to you by HP rather than directly from Google.

Bard of Elyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cindy, with a lot more work here from the HP ads programme I now get nearly as much as I used to get from Google without as much work. If I didn't get that I think I'd give up on this online earning thing. Give me a proper job any day!

LOL, I don't think I would like a 'proper job' at all any more Steve, but luckily for me I have a Husband who earns well, plus I am doing well right now in terms of income here, (earning at least the same as I was getting from a part time job at the Vets a few years back, and that was a 20 hour a week job). It seems that some have had their traffic come back, and others have lost it in recent Panda updates. You never know, you could find yours suddenly turns around and skyrockets like mine did back in Mid October. I hope so for your sake smile

Thank you, Cindy! I admit I don't understand how all this stuff works but I know I do an enormous amount of writing for very little pay. It is still better than anywhere else though and I don't have any option. I have said I will go back to the UK next year if I had enough money to do so (need around 1,000 GBP to pay for Tiggy's treatments and flight) and someone in the music biz I know in Cardiff says she will try and sort out a benefit gig to raise it!

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
              wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who's Tiggy?  Your kitty?  What's the matter?

Yes, Tiggy is my cat! If I leave here for the UK or anywhere else for that matter she has to have a series of treatments by a vet, be issued with a Pet Passport, I have to pay a Pet Travel Agent to book her in at the airport and pay a minimum of 595 pounds for a one-way flight! She then has to go through an 8-hour ordeal of travelling with 4 hours in the hold of the plane. To not do any of this I need to find regular income which I no longer have.

20. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Oh no!  What's wrong with her?  I have never heard of a Pet Travel Agent, wow.  I feel for you, I really do.  I had a cat in chronic renal failure for many years and it was heartbreaking (and expensive, but I didn't really care).  I can't imagine needing to travel internationally with a sick kitty though.  I'm so sorry.  sad

I will donate to the Tiggy fund...

Oh... I just read your hub, I see now.  Tiggy isn't sick, you just need to get her all vaccinated to enter the UK.  Regardless, I'm sorry for your situation AND I would still contribute to the Tiggy fund.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)