Jesus was a yoga teacher

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (54 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 12 years ago

It's obvious to me. Christians, try to prove me wrong. You can't.

1. MickeySr profile image78
      MickeySrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of the great misunderstandings and misrepresentations of who Jesus is and what he came here for is that He came to teach anything . . . yoga, a Christian religion, peace & love, whatever. He is the divine creator of all that is, so everything He does (did) we can of course learn from, and there were numerous circumstances in which what He did or said took the form of teaching - but that was not His mission or purpose, He did not come into His creation to teach us stuff.

He came to do something, to accomplish a task, to execute a particular work . . . again, as He went about to do this He taught, and was called "teacher", but we miss His true identity and subvert His accomplished work when we cast Him as coming to teach.

1. liftandsoar profile image59
        liftandsoarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point Mickey.  The gospel has been so diluted with secular values and eastern mysticism that most have heard "another gospel."

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're the one who made the statement.  The burden of proof is on you to prove Jesus taught yoga, not on Christians to prove He didn't.  You can't.

janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dang it! You're right!

2. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 12 years ago

Googled yoga. Sounds about right.

3. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

Jesus hated yoga.
    It says so in Jermicheal 3:16 or something like that.

janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, he hated yoga alright, but it payed the bills

1. LookingForWalden profile image60
        LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol

pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So he charged for his service?

"Everyday, he had to get that paper y'all." Luke 623:39

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Haha Ok what paper?

I'm just messing around. big_smile

Hehe me too!

4. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 12 years ago

He did? Can't find that book hehe. If you meant Jeremaih couldn't find yoga in that passage?

5. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Yoga is pretty awesome. It's relaxing and clears the mind of distractions-allowing deeper thought.  On more than one occasion I've actually contemplated verses during yoga.  So, while I think the bible probably would have mentioned somewhere if Christ was a guru, I can't see why he would have any particular problems with Yoga.

1. profile image0

Now it's tempting to point out Scriptures debunking that theory, but I'll refrain.  I wanna hear proof from janesix first.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, believe it or not I actually like you quite a bit.  I really have no hard set opinions on the matter of yoga and the Bible.  If you say Jesus was against stretching, then I will-on this matter-completely defer to your judgement.

1. profile image0

lol
          Nah.  Way too easy.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58

*Smiles* I didn't say I would stop doing yoga.  I have fibermyalgia and it helps considerably with the pain (which means I take less hydrocodone)but if you say it's sinful I won't disagree with you or attempt to pick apart the verses you use to support your argument smile.  So there you go Brenda, one completely free "You are completely right" card.  Merry Christmas smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
              Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Melissa. My wife suffers from lupus and one of the symptoms is fibromyalgia. I shall mention yoga to her.

I've never considered whether or not elements of yoga are suggested in the bible, such as being still, or meditating on God's law. In the church environment I grew up in, anything remotely Eastern was branded as New Age and opening a door to demons. It's quite astounding the level of willfull ignorance that pervades much of the Church.

Jesus in the the storm on the boat story illustrates stilling the mind in the midst of the storm quite well I thought. At least when viewed other than literally.

2. profile image52
                WalkWithJesusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Meditating on God's law does not mean to meditate in our minds. There is a vast difference, Please see my Hub about schizophrenia.
                Meditation through Yoga is not permitted by God.
                Yoga is a trick made up by the serpent, the devil. I will not explain everything in here, but it is totally not approved by God.

Where does it say that?

2. profile image0
                  Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol I don't mean to laugh, but you can't be serious. I've always wondered why the fundamentalists look down so harshly on yoga. To claim God, himself, has weighed in on the issue is ludicrous. I'm a little flabbergasted at the serpent comment. How did you come to that conclusion?

1. profile image52

I don't mean to make you "laugh" - if you really did, of course out of ignorance.
                    And yes, I can certainly and am serious.
                    I don't claim God, I cite God.
                    The devil has you by your own tongue and you don't know it.
                    A higher awareness is strictly forbidden in his Will.
                    Enlightenment through the third eye (accessed through yoga) was originated by Hinduism, one warned religion that salutes idolatry and stepping out of the Commandments to fulfill their religion - the devil's religions.

3. profile image52

Meditating on his law means to keep it in mind in everything that we do consciously, not the act of drifting away from disconnecting of the world inside our heads. It is not only extremely dangerous but a sin.

It doesn't seem like you have experienced meditation by your comments? Do you actually know what it is?

1. profile image52

Apparently you don't. You think it is some sort of mind stimulation that leads to no danger. You are obviously unaware of the spiritual nature around you that you cannot see.
                    Yoga is a form of witchcraft, and any is forbidden by the law of God.
                    We are taught to meditate through his word, and not literally "meditate" like a monk. You obviously know nothing of the Pineal Gland.

2. profile image52

What you don't know will in fact turn you against yourself. What you do will save you. You don't need to "meditate" to fulfill completeness. You never can and never will through the help of unclean spirits. Only through God and Jesus will you accomplish this. Prayer is meditating through him, not the type of meditating that requires total release of the mind only to be caught by unwanted forces. They're not going to tell you, they're way smarter than you. That's how you got into it in the first place.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

Of course you can back up your claims with scripture, logical argument, and testable evidence? Or are your claims based on what some schmuck told you on God TV?

4. MelissaBarrett profile image58

There are two major possible ways to go with religion as a believer.  The first is to accept that faith is a journey and you will continue to learn new things and reevaluate answers your entire life.  The second is to accept that the first answer from the text or your clergy is the absolute law and then move on to answering the next question you have definitively.

The first path accepts new ideas and evolves, but lacks the security that comes with "a final answer".  The second path has the comfort of more solid answers to their questions, but perceives anything that doesn't fall within their specific views as an affront to their deity (read abomination).

Regardless, the physical part of yoga (including the relaxation and deep breathing techniques) helps with chronic pain for many people (myself included).  Before your wife tries it on her own though, she should get clearance from her doctor and at least some basic training from an instructor who will teach to her specific physical level.  Instruction can be expensive, but if you have a YMCA (I'm assuming you are american) in your area, personal instruction is exceedingly reasonable financially.  In fact, the YMCA will sometimes waive the cost completely for those "officially" disabled or those who can show financial hardship.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

Well observed Melissa and so true. I spent many many years on the second path before I moved to the first. Though in all that time I forever had nagging doubts about the second one. But to have those doubts was to be "not a proper Christian". And yes I too have discovered that the first path does not come with security, but I think it's a price worth paying.

As to the yoga, my wife just told me that she tried Pilates but it just left her in more pain.

Im not an American, so YMCA just conjures images of the Village People for me. lol

Anything that help to stimulate deeper thought is always a good thing for me.

6. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 12 years ago

What's all this crap about stretching!  Yoga's a bit more than that.  You could say that stretching is a part of it, designed to keep the body flexible and healthy whilst the Yogi gets on with the real job.  So what is the real job?   To yoke with the Divine within oneself.  In other words it is a self-imposed practice to reach and meld permanently with the God-part of our own selves.

The very first Yoga Sutra of Patanjali (200 to 300 BC) is "Yoga is the science of controlling the activities of the mind."   The third sutra reads: "He whose mind is completely still becomes aware of his true nature."   Bit more than stretching on a Yoga mat, eh?

A still mind is a great thing. Liking yoga more and more

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58

If you were offended by my statement, I apologize.

I wonder though, if you see the possible irony of becoming over-defensive of a perceived slight on a process that is supposed to bring inner peace.

7. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I challenge you to find the position downward dog outlined in the New Testament. Barring that, I would think all similarities are incidental.

You want me to find that?

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cool. Yes, please do. smile

Nope couldn't find any thing with downward dog? Ok tell all??

8. jeyaramd profile image62
    jeyaramdposted 12 years ago

Each soul is potentially divine.  The goal is to manifest this Divinity within by controlling nature, external and internal.  Do this either by work, or worship, or psychic control, or philosophy--by one, or more, or all of these--and be free.  This is the whole of religion.  Doctrines, or dogmas, or rituals, or books, or temples, or forms, are but secondary details.

Do you think nature externally can be controlled? Or are you talking about something else?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)