Can we become Saints?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (42 posts)
  1. magodis profile image63
    magodisposted 12 years ago

Saints are our fellow human beings with special spiritual lives when they live in this world. We praise them and plead them to mediate but have we ever planned to come to that level? Why can't we try to be a real saint where this world offers many opportunities?

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We do? Where do you find them?

magodisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi penny, we do find them in the Holy Word. And activities are available all over the world. Thanks

Ok cool. So sainthood is therefore everywhere and in everyone. Just not always apparent in some cases.

However it is not easy to achieve that. We need to do a lot of homework and out door works. Best regards

Yep no pain no gain.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe Paul labelled anyone who believed in Christ was a saint and one does not need to be granted that status by committee by the Church post mortem.

There is little value in trying to pray to dead saints because they are 'asleep' in their graves awaiting resurrection; they are not in Heaven.

Where is heaven do you think?

2. aka-dj profile image66
        aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HEY!
        That's what I was going to say!!!

Oh well. I guess I will just have to "second that"!

http://mintywhite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/thumbs-up-238x2501.jpg

2. magodis profile image63
    magodisposted 12 years ago

@Dis.. Yes you are partially correct. Sainthood is not granted by the church. Sainthood should be a self attainment during our life before we die. Being a Christian does not mean a Saint as world's major part of the dirty people are christians. This was an early belief of God's chosen people - Jesus castigated them saying "not all sons of Abrahm would go to heaven"

@penny, interesting! Heaven is in the same world we are living. Some people enjoy heaven here. But never think that rich does. I meant "heaven in mind"

1. aka-dj profile image66

Dirty Christian people! hmm

Who are these that you refer to?
      Who are you to make the call? sad

Dirty people are; most of politicians(in war, peace, drug business), drug traffickers, brothel owners, arm dealers, some pharmoceautical  manufacturers, rapers, thieves, liars and etc etc.
        If we calculate, I think40% would be Chritains 40% would be Muslims others would be the remaining 20%

This is where we part company (so to speak).
          Just because someone calls themselves Christian, doesn't make it so!
          I was born into Catholicism, (VERY loosely so), but neither of my parents were (true) Christians. So, neither was I. I did all the Holy Communion, Confirmation, Catechism etc. but it was all ritual, and meaningless to me.

Being born again was the turning point that changed everything.
          Of course, I discovered what millions of people have done as well.
          I went from being a christian to being a Christian.

What you refer to, I would call CHRISTIANISM.
          One's a religion, the other is a lifestyle/relationship.

There's NO WAY any (real) Christian would be a criminal, such as those you list! The first thing these ones MUST do, is stop, if they are into anything like that. We are called to REPENTANCE. (Turning away from sin and evil)

I hope that makes sense. big_smile

DJ! 100% agreed! Real Christians - where are they is a problem

There are millions.
              They just seem to be hiding, or cop a "bum deal" from those who don't know better.

Thanks for the chat, and the hub reads (discussion).
              I must go and get some "beauty" sleep. lol It' almost midnight!

Catch ya another day.
              Blessings
              DJ

PS. This is the kind of discussion I have wanted on these forums, but sadly, they only occurred VERY rarely. Especially when antagonists derail the discussion.

Welcome DJ. Good Night!

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems that what YOU call a Christian is a Christian. lol

NO, it's not what I call.

It's making a distinction between true and false.
              Something you clearly have difficulty with! smile

BTW, you still haven "educated" me about myth vs parable! Don't you know? Is that why you avoid the issue?

Please feel free. I'm actually waiting, as any eager student would! smile

DJ, both myth and parable are narrations but usage is different. Myth gives something that they believe had happened earlier without proper proofs. Parable is narrated to explain something deep or difficult to understand with original message.

Yes, you believe you are an authority on what is true and what is false based entirely on a single book, we already know that.

You believe there are invisible entities swirling about us in a constant battle of good and evil, that is your truth. And, I have difficulty seeing those invisible entities... because they're invisible. lol

I'm glad I managed to get SOMETHING through to you1 smile

Again, it is not MY truth. It's what the Bible teaches AS truth. I merely accept it.
                  As to you not being able to see them, what other things do you not SEE, that you believe?
                  Heck, you believe (about) me, whom you don't SEE.
                  You only have EVIDENCE of me.

It's a SPIRIT world/dimension we are talking about, so yes it is UNSEEN.
                  You are improving your understanding, at least. smile

3. profile image0
                AKA Winstonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

(It's making a distinction between true and false.)

aka-dj,

So, Christianity is based on resolvement of a dichotomy, true of false.  The only ways to solve a dichotomy of this sort is either through a system of logic or through an intuitive decision.  That means that the resolvement is a human decision, or opinion. 

I wonder what the Catholics and liberal Protestants would say about your opinion.

I would agree entirely with what you said.
                  As for the two groups (IE denominations), I don't think they care too much about my (one) view.

The truth is, like you said, they (we)  all have to use logic and intuitive decision to come to our own conclusion.

Truth cannot be a dichotomy. It has to either be true, or not true, (IE false).

There IS a God, or there is NO God. Yes or no! That's the simplest form of true false. Each one CHOOSES which one they believe, or accept as reasonable, and then attempt to live it out.

To that end, Jesus either IS/WAS all that the Bible claims, or NOT.

Quite simple, really.
                  The consequences of making a PERSONAL decision may prove to be much more difficult. big_smile

2. pennyofheaven profile image79

Nice

3. mjane24 profile image60
    mjane24posted 12 years ago

Saints are those who are saved by Jesus,accepted as their savior.

Dear Mjane can you elaborate that?

1. mjane24 profile image60
        mjane24posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Saints are those people who have been born again by the Lord Jesus.Believing,repented from sin and turn to Jesus.Once they ccepted Jesus they become Gods' child or saints

So you still have to repent today when Jesus supposedly died for our sins?

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Yes, we can be a fan of the Who Dat NO Saints, but in order to be a member of the Saint team, you must first have a talent - in football!!

5. profile image0
    AKA Winstonposted 12 years ago

(You are improving your understanding, at least)

aka-dj,

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for you.  Tell us, dj, what is the definition of truth?  I will give you a hint - there is no uniform definition.  The definition of truth has been debated for over 2000 years and no one has been able to come up with a universal definiton.

But you are claiming the bible teaches a universal truth - don't you see the contradiction?  How can it be a universal truth when there is no universal truth? 

All it boils down to is your personal opinion about the nature of reality - and that represents what is true to you.  That is why the Muslims, the Hindus, and the Catholics all disagree with your opinion of what constitutes universal truth.

Now, have you leanred anything?  Have you at least learned that your beliefs are nothing more than your personal opinions and signify nothing about reality?

Very good.

I actually understand where you are coming from. (Without God).

An accurate definition of GOD would be Perfection, Unity, Holiness, Lawgiver and Creator. (Just to name the major ones).

Because He is ETERNAL, what He "say", or holds as the one and only possibility, IT MUST, by definition be ultimate TRUTH, because it is unchanging and without contest, or contradiction.

I certainly cannot claim to know ALL, because, God is TOO BIG to be fully known, or understood.
      But, getting back to why I'm "right" is because Jesus is the physical manifestation of (this) God, who also claimed to BE truth, in the flesh. I have Christ in my life, therefore, I have truth in my life.
      Now, this (subjective position) is available to every person, and is NOT unique to me. So, it becomes a universal truth.

Sadly for you, it still comes down to a personal decision to believe, acknowledge and receive Christ.

The above is what I have learned!

1. profile image0
        AKA Winstonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

(I have Christ in my life, therefore, I have truth in my life. )

aka-dj,

Here's what I have - .I realize truth is nothing but someone's opinion, and I know I am not kidding myself about having occult knowledge of something that even if real would be unknowable simply because some ancient tribesman scribbled his opinions about the subject on parchment.

Again, I disagree. Truth is truth, regardless of ones opinion.
          The sky is blue. It's a truth. Just because a colour blind person, (or a blind person) cannot verify it PERSONALLY, it remains true.
          As for some "tribesman scribbling some text" is a SUPER GROSE degradation of the facts.
          This shows a complete lack of knowledge on your part, or a deliberate lie to somehow reinforce your opinion (to yourself).

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

It's funny believers still use that silly example to support their irrational beliefs.

Muslims, Christians, Jews and Flying Spaghetti Monster followers all agree the sky is blue. lol

Off topic, but what can one expect from you?

I guess then, that the sky is NOT blue, since it's a silly example to you.

You have some serious comprehension issues.

After reading your last five or six replies you had to my posts, I'm absolutely convinced your comprehension is less than 50%. Is that the exam score you got in school?
              (I worked that out simply by counting up the number of times you went off topic, or did not answer a question)

I guess that's why you haven't written any hubs.

You don't want to embarras yourself. That's ok. I won't tell anyone. big_smile

You can beat the dead horse all you want, but just because some one claims to be the truth does not make it so. And, just because you have swallowed that nonsense hook, line and sinker also does not make it true.

Only despots and dictators make those kind of claims of truth.

Conversely, just because YOU don't buy it doesn't make it NOT so.

Show us all, PLEASE where you get the idea that Jesus was a despot!

I think you dreamt that up in your childish imagination, for which you also discredit others of doing!

Jesus most likely never existed and if he did, he was not accredited to writing anything down.

You showed us the words of a despot, whomever wrote them.

"...the physical manifestation of (this) God, who also claimed to BE truth"

That is a ROCK SOLID basis for argument, if I say so my self. lol lol lol

And you expect to be taken seriously when you comment on Him? lol lol lol

Well done. I respect you more because of this, (not). lol lol lol

Go write a hub on it. I promise to read it. big_smile

Why is that a problem? Unlike believers who are absolute in their beliefs and will make absolute claims of things that have NEVER been shown to be true or exist, one has to leave open that which has not been shown otherwise.

Hence, it is far more "ROCK SOLID" than your absolute claims of existence.

2. aka-dj profile image66

Yes, except if it is true! In which case NO, He's NO despot.

No, it has never been shown to be true and you know that. It is a belief held by you and you know that, too.

Make all the claims you want that it is true, but you know those claims would be false.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)