Google Ad Ratio Concerns

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. GAbaptist profile image66
    GAbaptistposted 12 years ago

Over the past couple of months my adsense earnings on Hubpages has really bottomed out, not that it was that great with only 35 hubs, but it was bringing in some, and my traffic has been the best it has ever been. So, this week I have been testing my hubs adsense pub-id's from several locations to see whose ads ae being served.

I've done this in the past and was satisfied that I was indeed getting the 60-40 split that Hubpages offers, but this week has been a drastically different story. I have googled my hubs from many different computers and locations over the past couple of days and have yet to be served ads with my publisher id on them. No wonder I am not getting any clicks! When I go to the adsense interface, the majority of impressions come from my own sites and a mere handful from hubpages.

Has anyone else had any problem like this? With HPads on, is it still a 60-40 split with the adsense ads or does it go down? This has got me thinking twice about publishing any more hubs here until I can see the proper ratio.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is my understanding that with HPads on, there is only one ad left that might carry your id.  All the rest carry an id that HP will then split 60-40.

Even most of the ads from adsense are going through HPads and will not carry your id.

Are you seeing impressions and income from HPads?  If so, at least that part of the system is working.  Impressions should be (very roughly) 60% of the visitors.  And I mean very.

GAbaptistposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply wilderness. Yes, my HPads revenue is steadily climbing and the CPM rate has been very good over the past week or so, but still low compared to what adsense used to be.

I need to go back through the FAQs and see if I can see exactly how the ratio thing works in conjunction with the HPads. I guess I had the wrong idea about how all of this works, as I was thinking that under the HPad program adsense blocks were repaced, when in reality they are still there, just pointing to HP's pubisher id instead of mine.

2. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your understanding is not my understanding.  What I am about to type is the explanation that was given to me by HubPages when I was invited to join the HubPages Ad program beta test last January.

When HubPages implemented their own Ad program, part of how it functions is to examine bids between potential ads and then serve whichever has the higher pay rate to the page.  What this has meant in terms of function is that more ads are being served from HubPages direct ad program and many less from AdSense. 

The split on advertising is still 60% impression time to you and 40% impression time to HubPages.  This is stated right in the FAQ, http://hubpages.com/faq/#impressions

So, as far as the adsense blocks, we should still be getting a 60-40 ratio even with HPads activated?

Most of my hubs display with about 3 adsense blocks; one at the very top, one near the first paragraph and one at the bottom. Where do the HPads generally display?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
            mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you are on HPAds then the only block paid out by Adsense is the last square block on the bottom right of your Hub. The other blocks are all HPAds paid, even though some of them show Adsense Ads, (the difference is HP pay you for your share of these, not Adsense directly). This is how it was explained to me.

1. wilderness profile image96

That's what I was trying to say as well - I just couldn't remember which space was reserved for adsense.

As Relache says, there is a bidding war between advertisers, and recent changes have included adsense in the bids for HPads.  The result is that only one space left that adsense pays us direct for.

2. wilderness profile image96

That's what I was trying to indicate - guess I didn't do well at it.

However, more recent changes have, I believe, resulted in adsense ads being included in HPads spots and being paid through HPads at the same 60/40 split.  Those are the ads that will not carry our own adsense ID even though they are from adsense.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

HP does run different ads a lot of the time--but depending on your topics and available advertisers.

Thanks psycheskinner, I originally thought hp replaced the adsense blocks with its own paid advertisers as you described, but adsense blocks must get rolled into the HPad mix too, which is what I didn't know.

3. profile image50
    gaboy911970posted 12 years ago

do no get you

4. QuestionMaster profile image78
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

Maybe it has something to do with this recent tweak to Adsense serving? http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/83959

Could be QM. All of the ambiguity with the earnings can be really frustrating! How are we supposed to give HP's earnings programs an honest assessment if we don't know how they are suppose to work? Or is that how they really want it?

5. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

This FAQ entry explains the difference in layouts:
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-appearance

Keep in mind: as others have mentioned, Google ads could very well be served into those orange blocks that indicate Ad Program spots. In fact, we're allowed to serve more than 3 Google ads per page through a special agreement with them.

Regardless of your choice between AdSense-only or Ad Program + AdSense, it is always 60% of the time, all the impressions are yours, and 40% of the time, all of the impressions are shared between HubPages and any referrers.

Thanks for responding Jason. That is what I was trying to determine, if HPads also consisted of adsense ads in addition to others. I think I understand the whole thing a little better.

This is what I explained in my last post before Jason's!!!

Quote "The other blocks are all HPAds paid, even though some of them show Adsense Ads, (the difference is HP pay you for your share of these, not Adsense directly)."

Yes you did Misty, and I'm sorry for not acknowledging you sooner. You were correct and best of all, it was confirmed by a member of the HP staff.

Thanks for your willingness to offer help and understanding to the way HP works.

No problem smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)