Breast Cancer.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

Can breast cancer be prevented?

1. overcrok profile image78
      overcrokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes it can be prevented, but it depends mainly on genetics. Avoiding hormonal supplement combination of estrogen and progesterone can decrease the risk, also alcohol and all the substances known for a certain hormonal involvement. Like testicles, breast should be checked once a month.

1. profile image0
        MP50posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good Answer Thanks.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, it doesn't depend on genetics.  Breast cancer cells are estrogen feeders.  Too much estrogen, perhaps breast cancer.  Estrogen also resides in fat.  Too much fat, perhaps breast cancer.  Breasts contain more fatty tissue to begin with.  Free radical (cancer) cells have a lower incidence of survival in a healthy environment, ph balanced, oxygenated, and nutritionally edified.

2. Kris Heeter profile image71
      Kris Heeterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, a certain number of breast cancers can be prevent.  Breast cancer is not really considered "one disease" any more - the causes vary significantly and there are a variety of different tumor types  - all with different origins  (I've covered a small aspect of this in a recent hub).  But the good news is that the research indicates that at least a third can be prevented through nutrition and lifestyle changes.

1. profile image0

That is  good new's........I think you know your stuff.....Thanks.

3. profile image0
      fit2dayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anything can be prevented, the sad thing is that prevention doesn't make money , so people aren't told specifically what to do in the area of prevention. Just telling people to exercise, eat right and quit smoking is very void of details, especially since most people have a misunderstanding of eating right.

What people need to understand is the fact that cancer is a very complex disease and is usually caused by a chain of factors instead of one single thing. The companies producing foods, cosmetics, etc. that link to cancer are also the ones giving the most money to breast cancer organizations.

Ultimately people need to educate themselves and not just go along with what's said in the media in terms of health.

1. profile image0

Good Answer and well put.

4. profile image0

Thank You for the interesting comments...........

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

That depends on the underlying cause?

1. profile image0

Good Answer Thanks.

3. Healthy Fat Guy profile image60
    Healthy Fat Guyposted 12 years ago

Wow,  this site has quite the forum community!

I don't know if "prevent" is the right word.  But there is loads of evidence that certain supplements can cut down the risk of any type of cancer.

First...Vit D  at least 1,000 IU a day.  More than what's in a multi.  Or just get more sun.  But the evidence is overwhelming.

Antioxidants...Prevents cell damage from free radicals.  Berries in particular.

Medicinal mushrooms...Cordyceps sinensis,  maitake,  ganoderma lucidum.  Supercharges NK (natural killer) cells,  interleukin production,  organ function...

I feel a new hub coming on...

1. profile image0

Go for the new Hub and get it written Bro..........

1. Healthy Fat Guy profile image60
        Healthy Fat Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely,  I'll just need to track down some research on the subject.  Unfortunately,  there are not a lot of good web resources about this stuff.  You really need some library books.  And they take time to go through.

And I also read about the problems with your kidneys.  I'm trying to get together some info on that also.

Best wishes MP 50.  You inspire me!

And you look great!

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

HFG - you're on the money.

4. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 12 years ago

the sulforophane in broccoli is linked to a lower incidence of breast cancer. as is a normal body weight and very low alcohol intake.

not all breast cancer is estrogen-dependent and genetics is definitely a factor. if your mother or sister has breast cancer, your risk is higher than average.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

I don't agree.  I think genetic risk factors are a small percentage of total risk.  Lifestyle is a much greater influence on the way our bodies behave.

But often it's difficult to assess which came first.  Does one contract an ailment because our parents did or does one contract an ailment because we follow the same lifestyle as our parents did?

1. cathylynn99 profile image75
        cathylynn99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

7 of the genes responsible for the development of breast cancer have been identified.

i'm talking about inherited genes.

cornell university says 27% of breast cancer is inherited.

1. Kris Heeter profile image71
              Kris Heeterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that number by Cornell may be a bit dated (2003) and it may be based on just one study that they published. 

NIH (National Institutes of Health, the CDC (Centers of Disease Control) and ACS (American Cancer Society), all put the statistics pretty much between 5-10% based on compiled data from a number of funded studies.   These types of studies can vary - depending upon a number of variables. 

I haven't looked at that Cornell study and I'm now curious:)  I may dig up that published work this week to see how they conducted the study.  Sequencing the known genes back then was harder and I suspect the data pool much smaller.

5. Kris Heeter profile image71
    Kris Heeterposted 12 years ago

I think maybe we all may have a different interpretation of the word "genetics". 

Inherited genetic breast cancer is around 5% - pretty low.   Genetic mutations that lead to cancer (that occur due to lifestyle and environmental exposure) is greater.  A significant number of "non-inherited" type breast cancer tumors have been examined and scientists have found a high and greatly varied number of genetic rearrangements - changes in the DNA (I've written a short hub on this) that are not inherited.

The things we breath in, use on our body and eat can all cause some genetic changes and DNA damage during our life time.  Will those be inherited to the next generation?  Probably not.  These types of genetic changes are somatic (they do not affect eggs and sperm).

The estrogen pathway and estrogen-like chemicals do have significant affects - those to can cause changes how DNA is expressed.

6. nadejda13 profile image59
    nadejda13posted 12 years ago

Catalytic Therapy of cancer can be used not only as therapy for existing cancer but as prevention as well. See more about this modality in one of my hubs.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Other than double mastectomy, it can't be 100% prevented.  You can, however, reduce your risk.

1. profile image0

Thank You for your comment....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)