Why create such a huge universe if we are the only ones in it?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (77 posts)
  1. LewSethics profile image60
    LewSethicsposted 12 years ago

He could have done it in four or five days if He didn't insist on making most heavenly objects thirteen billion light years distant.  Just showing off?

1. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can see that this would become a concerning question when one does not think there is an unseen world, and thinks there is only just what we can see. There is, however, a huge unseen world that we cannot fathom and likely needs all that room. wink

1. profile image0
        AKA Winstonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

(There is, however, a huge unseen world that we cannot fathom)

Ms Dee,

If it is unseeable and unfathomable, how do you know it is there?

2. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What if we aren't the only ones in it?

3. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seeing as most people think everyone who doesn't think exactly as they do is going to hell...There needs to be alot of room to put all of us that are going to "Hell"

4. LewSethics profile image60
      LewSethicsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm asking this question because I think the concept of a superior being creating the universe is stupid.  I'm trying to point out what seems to me an obvious glitch in that theory.

5. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe your concept of the universe may not be quite accurate.

The uniiverse is the one that is all things and has no boundaries....

It cannot be seen with the eyes and what can be seen as reference to the universe you call it different.

6. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just showing off??   What's that supposed to mean?
      Dear Lord, if You wanna show off, then please do!   I would LOVE to see God in action literally;  I'd sit and watch Him paint the universe if I could!

7. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is wrong to think that the days of creation of heavens and earth are of 24 hours duration.

1. David Legg 7 profile image67
        David Legg 7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure why you think that's wrong. The plain meaning of the text in Hebrew is that those are literal 24 hour days. It goes so far as to say, "and there was morning, and there was evening the first day," and so on. Considering that immediate and unmistakable context, you have to go through some serious textual manipulation to consider it to mean something else. And if you are referring to the text that says that a thousand year is like a day to the lord and a day is like a thousand years, remember, that is talking specifically about the attributes of God. It is not linked to the creation narrative. I think the only part of the creation narrative that is fuzzy on time is the amount of time that passed after the creation that Adam and Eve spent in the Garden of Eden before the fall of man.

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image62
          tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

GOD exists outside of time. to say a day is as a thousand years to GOD simply means time has no effect to HIM, HE is the creator of time and space. HE created time to give us order and all that space out there was created to bring balance into HIS creation. and while it is true HE could have created just our single planet and left it at that, where is the beauty in that. GOD is perfect, balanced, beautiful, and in the beginning all HE created was also perfect, balanced and beautiful...man is the creator of chaos and imbalance and all that is ugly in this world.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
            Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. Space already existed, the only thing in it is God, time also already existed, for time has to exist for anything to happen requires it.

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image62
              tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

you are thinking like a human and therefore limiting GOD to your own human understanding of life.

and as for showing off, not that it matters, GOD can show us HIS glory in any way HE chooses or not at al...but to my way of thinking, HIS very first act of creation was pretty darn awesome and to mans way of thinking "showing off".

2. Gaizy profile image71
    Gaizyposted 12 years ago

The question assumes that the universe is only here because of us - are we really that important? - The universe might not even have noticed that we are here yet.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When we finally meet another race from another planet, we're going to have to reinvent our religious beliefs.

1. mattforte profile image90
        mattforteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Word.
        Well, for some people anyway.

On the other hand, our religious beliefs may have to be reinvented before we can even achieve the technology to do so. Can you fathom us having the ability to join up and travel the universe as long as we are still warring eachother?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
          Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure Alien can disproved to  the Christian, that the earth is greater than 6014 years old. where most human being can't convince them

I wonder if they will try to nuke the Aliens if they show the Christian many of the other truths.

2. profile image49
          Jesus was a hippoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

War is a catalyst for invention. Just look at how the jet aircraft came to be...

2. Druid Dude profile image59

necessity is the mother of invention. The jet isn't the first invention, nor the last, and therefore, not the only.

3. TJenkins602 profile image60
      TJenkins602posted 12 years agoin reply to this

and lets hope it doesn't anytime soon, because the effects will be devastating.

3. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Your "why" assumes a "creator" and/or "G/god" created human beings through conscious thought, because without any form of consciousness, even the thought of creating something wouldn't be recognized.

And, if people think that they are that important to the world they live in and the Universe, then I would say that they need to get over themselves.

The position that a "creator" and/or "G/god" created special the human species, you must as yourself why?

Why would a "creator" and/or "G/god" create humans? For amusement? For servitude? For what purpose?

To understand the purpose- now from my understanding, a purpose cannot be granted or given(to individuals). So, any "creator" and/or "G/god" cannot grant you or give you a purpose. Thus, the human species wasn't created by a "creator" and/or "G/god". A purpose must be created by the individual through knowledge(including experience) and discerned wisdom(truth), which is solely based on consciousness, the human will, the human conscience and free thinking.

4. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

To the ancient Hebrews, the Earth was flat and was propped up on pillars that reached down through the sea to Sheol the realm of the dead below at the very bottom. Above the Heavens were a dome, which the sun and moon traversed on the underside. The stars were embedded in the dome and were either angels or the light of Heaven leaking through holes in the dome. Think of a snow globe sitting in a saucer of water.

So the universe of the bible was only of a size sufficient to form a dome from Earth horizon to another. Therefore life elsewhere was unthinkable as they had no concept of a vast universe. Hence no mention of aliens in the bible.

1. Druid Dude profile image59

The word would have been foreign to them. An alien would have been considered a stranger or a strange creature, and the bible is full of them.

5. brittanytodd profile image89
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

The Keplar 22b just recently took a stroll in space and found over 2000 other planets that are Earth-like in their positions among stars and size.  The Deccan Herald has a nice piece on it, but I am not posting the link to avoid getting it snipped.  It really makes you think about life on other planets.

6. DIY Backlinks profile image58
    DIY Backlinksposted 12 years ago

I would think there is other forms of life out there and the creator has a plan for it all. Just my opinion of coarse.

7. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

If god is omnipotent making the whole universe is easy, he may have just done it because a thing that exists is more "good" than one that does not exist.

8. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

The universe is full of stuff and other planets uninhabitable.
    Then is our planet specially designed?
    The universe is empty only having earth.
    Then we are under some close scrutiny for some reason.
    The universe is full having abundant life everywhere.
    Then we are a fluke of existence.

If God made the universe empty, we would say what a waste. If God chose to fill it up with stuff, we would say that's impossible.

God is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't.

If the universe is so large to us, it must be small to God. This is hard for a finite being to grasp but not an infinite being.

9. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I hate to point out the obvious, but I don't think there are many people left who think we are the only intelligent life in the universe; whether they think God created it, or not. And none who think God created the universe for the specific reason to accommodate man. Are there?

1. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Life by definition has to process energy, store information and replicate.
      A single celled organism is not intelligent life.
      A single celled organism needs a certain gravity, certain chemicals, certain protein molecules, certain amino acids and for the amino acids to line up properly and in order they need dna. Dna works with Rna so both are needed.
      Dna contains written code that instruct the organism to function. In everything we have today that is written it is written by some higher agent. So we have several questions to answer:
      where did the rna come from?
      where did the dna come from?
      who wrote the rna and dna?
      how did they get there?

Single celled organisms are not just happenstance.

lets look at intelligent life.
      Intelligent life needs all the above just to get itself able to become a multi- celled organism. Multi celled organisms need much more to live.
      so to keep this short how much less happenstance is intelligent life compared to the single cell organism?

Now if God did create the earth and put man on it. We can assume man is intelligent life then how is God working out salvation on other planets with intelligent life? The two are inseparable.  Where the intelligent lifeform has the ability to choose the good and the evil there will always be the issue of sin.
      So if we do not want to limit God then we can say that there are hundreds of earths with intelligent life and hundreds of Jesus dying on crosses.
      But i prefer to pull this back to a realm of understandability and say there is only on planet with intelligent life and we are it.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You aren't interested in those answers, if you were, you wouldn't be posting so many lies about it.

Understandability? lol

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If that works for you, that's cool. I have no problem accepting that some have a limited ability and must reign in their thinking to encompass the range they are capable of. But, I don't want to have to limit myself to  the extent of your abilities. Thanks for the input, just the same. smile

1. profile image0

you're welcome

2. profile image0

You do limit God of course everyday, so you really are limited beyond what my limitations of God are set at.
          God is knowable
          You say he is not.

Maybe you want to rethink your post.
          you are still welcome though

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You must be joking. smile You limit the concept of God within the parameters of your own ego. I can't imagine a more constrained home for a deity. Each time you claim to know God, it simply shows how clueless you allow yourself to be.

3. profile image0

(A single celled organism needs...)

brotheryochanan,

You are unfortunately clueless as to how simple a single cell organism could be in its most basic form.  There are lessons if you want ot learn, but I doubt if you care.

Hard to read and keep one's head in the sand at the same time.

10. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Sure there are.  I think it is entirely plausible. We cant know for sure one way or the other, but if forced to choose I would bet there isn't intelligent life elsewhere. (Not that I believe in God at all)

11. roydellray profile image60
    roydellrayposted 12 years ago

It really is refreshing to read all the debating, going on for centuries, valid arguments for and against Gods and life in the universe.
    Here's some interesting concepts:

1) If we are design, why just us, why so destructive and bent on annihilation. With deteriorating levels of empathy and increasing levels of apathy.
    No!, design must be intelligent. If we are to empower a being with ultimate creation, then it must follow we empower it with an intelligence far greater than we will ever know, and as such, the ability for flawless design.

2) If we are random, seeds that germinated and evolved into "intelligent"? life, then by that very nature, statistics say it has happened to a greater extent everywhere, the evidence is in the diversity of our own planets life-forms.

3) If we are outcasts of some extinct galaxian race, interbred with apes for survival, then we are potentially alone, of course this is not to say that given the technology required to initiate this, then other such planets must also exist, how many and to what degree, who is to say.

Which is your theory?

I personally like no. 2, although sometimes think its no. 3

12. Rain Defence profile image80
    Rain Defenceposted 12 years ago

Well why would you think that we are the only beings in this universe? There are trillions of solar systems, each with millions of stars with their planets orbiting them. As far as I'm concerned it'd be incredibly unlikely that we are the only ones in this universe when you consider how many planets there are out there.

1. psycheskinner profile image85
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why would you think we aren't/  Incidence will be odds x opportunity.  the universe is very large--but life seem to be very very rare.  We really have no idea if there is life elsewhere, let alone intelligent life.

1. TMMason profile image61
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was listening to a lecture from an Evolutionary Biologist, Astro-Physiscist, etc... who stated that the odds of life spontainiously occurring would be 10 to the 140th power, (he qualified that with "that is a conservative estimate"),... and he followed that up with, the number of particles in the universe is thought to be 10 to the 70th power,... would you know if that is true, Psyche?

And would that not point to an impossibillity for a second occurrance of life spontainiously occurring?

Or do you think maybe life could have traveled from here, ejected in a collision at some point, or some such way, and spread to somewhere else?

How have you been, Psyche? I hope well. Merry Christmas.

1. profile image0

Speaking of fine tuning...
          Scientists have discovered that everything that exists in the universe is delicately balanced on a razors edge. I was surprised to know that carbon and oxygen are supplied from the inside of stars, carbon and oxygen are primary building blocks for life. If the delicate balance of nuclear action in the stars were tinkered with even a small amount that delicate balance would not supply the materials for life and the chances for life occurring would be ever so greatly minimalized.
          If gravity were changed one part in 10,000 billion, billion, life the size of humans would be crushed. Gravity has such a narrow range of tolerance for life to exist its barely comprehensible.
          There's so much more to the fine tuning of the universe that the question, "Who set this up" jumps out at ya.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why do you use these forums to spread lies about science?

2. profile image0

(the odds of life spontainiously occurring would be 10 to the 140th power)

TM,

Anyone who claims a particular probability is a charlatan, as it is impossible to know the probabilities without knowing the circumstances that produce simple cells in that manner. 

It could be that the chance is zero.  It could be fairly common.  There is no way to know.

Also, simplicity of organisms is quite different now as what may have occured at first.  Here is a good explanation of how simple things could have been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg

13. LewSethics profile image60
    LewSethicsposted 12 years ago

I am being facetious, and the question is tongue in cheek.
    BTW  Only we live in a solar system, because the name of our star is 'Sol', hence 'Solar' system.
    Other planets orbit other Stellar systems, with names attached according to the star involved, as in 'Alpha Centauri' system etc.

14. profile image0
    AKA Winstonposted 12 years ago

(A single celled organism needs a certain gravity, certain chemicals, certain)

brotheryochanan,

You need a refresher course in both biology and chemistry.  Your claims are bogus. here is an online refresh for you:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg

1. profile image0

after watching the video i noticed that it failed on these points.

the cell was not dividing, it was being torn apart by mechanical forces
      the cell was not growing it was adding to its size but stuffing itself. Growth is not defined by the contents of our stomach - adding to mass, but by actual growth.
      I did not see persuasive evidence as to its replicating itself.
      Life needs to pass all three tests.

The first atheist laudable comment was "lightning hittin a mud puddle". I never enjoy these kind of presentations that use the wrong wording. A mud puddle was never the inference.

Also the single cell that this may make... although the ocean vent theory also just a theory based on we see them now so they must have always existed is a bit of stretch.

Given that this idea might actually be true, we only got as far as a single celled creature, much more is needed to produce a multcelled animal.

I've just got to say, Please do not show me any more atheist rooted stuff as the more i am exposed to atheist desperation mechanisms I just wanna call them all liars and move onto something less vapid and more believable.

I went to http://www.nobelprize.org/mediaplayer/index.php?id=1218 and listened to the lecture by this guy on this topic. The amount of maybes and ifs and "this is not a universally accepted model, but what we think a stripped down version of an early cell Might look like < 43:45 into the vid.
      It would be much more assuring to hear people lecturing within the more positive end of knowing rather than the hit or miss of maybeing..

To also just mention that in both vids... dna just popped up, by george it was already there... is a bit much to swallow.

Thanks for your input however I did not find this overly refreshing

Have you ever heard Prof. Walter Vieth lecture, Bro?

He is/was a top notch atheist Evolutionist... then he actually thought about the BS he taught and lectured on.

Needless to say now they, the Atheists and Secularists, hate his guts. he destroys their BS on evolution and science and the bible not being in harmony.

He is very interesting to listen to and he breaks it down to laymans terms very well. Of course he spent years as a prof in a top atheist univ. as a top lecturer and Prof. He has awards from the Royal Academy of Sciences, I believe the only non-britain to have the award. A very very learned man indeed. His biography and conversion is very interesting in itself.

http://walterveith.org/

http://amazingdiscoveries.tv/c/9/Science/

1. profile image0

Yes, last year i encountered what i suspect are all of those videos. I found them informational.
          Many scientists have to confront 'intelligent design' if their area of study brings them there. As in the secular world people deny the existence of God and science does too, therefore it creates all these theories - which are theories or (here's one for troubled man - myths). It is our responsibility to discern what are myths or theories from facts. Science deals purely in facts but conjours tailor made scenarios to support a theory they want, cycling universes, parallel universes, inflating universes but these when spoken of are theories not facts and we need to know that. When science strays from facts it becomes dishonest and at these times, indeed, the whole world is shrouded in wickedness.
          It is a glorious day in heaven which all the angels do rejoice when another atheist scientist becomes honest to their convictions and recognizes intelligent design and the God behind it.
          I admire walter and his works.

Lee strobel has some interesting books as well, the case for christ is full of persuasive evidence.

In keeping with the above, above post, when scientists strip the cell down to what they THINK was its basic form they conveniently set up parameters for a workable hypothesis and then they omit the primordial goo and enter the ocean to use hot sea vents and then they say... lalalala. What they have is a theory based on assumption and that is nothing more than a myth. Science assessed by its innumerable theories is a purporter of brainy myths.
          I or We, as creationists have no reason to believe that when God created man on the planet he used a primitive cell structure much less complex than ours today.

2. profile image0

brotheryochanan,

If you are waiting for 100% confirmation and a video that shows how it happened, you will be disappointed.

The video I linked to shows how simple a single cell organism can be, how it can develop, divide, multiply, and compete and increase in complexity by natural selection, all of which qualify it as life.

It doesn't prove it happened that way.  It shows that life could have developed that way. 

What evidence do you offer that all life was created at the same time by a supernatural being?

Oh, I forgot.  You don't have any.  Sorry for you.

15. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

Astronomers have estimated that in our galaxy alone, there may be 2 billion planets which support life.  And our galaxy is only one of 500 billion in the universe.  And our universe may be only one of billions.  So, life is probably very common, although the distances involved will mean we will never know of each othr.

So we can go out to every planet in the Universe and spread of the word  of Christ our God    ...........................

JUST KIDDING

The probability that life exist on other planets is greater than there is just one Yahweh God in the Universe. You could limit you mind to think the universe revolves around you and your beliefs within our already over ego world of so many other God and gods.

The reason we have not come in contact with Alien is more likely that our distance to other Galaxies are far to great. If Alien they are more intelligent to travel to us first, they probably would not look like us or be warlike or be illegal alien from Mexico

16. DoubleScorpion profile image78
    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years ago

If we can ever figure out how to travel fast enough to be able to visit other planets that have characteristics that might support life within a reasonable timeframe, Then I guess we will know if we are the only life in the universe. Until that time we can only guess or assume.

Same as with religious beliefs. Some believe and cannot be swayed, while others remain skeptical.

Well we are going to need to move wayyyyyyyyyy faster than the speed of light.

So I think we have a ways to go, if ever we can at all, DS.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78

I don't see it happening in our lifetime, grandkids or great grandkids maybe??? The closest planet that might be able to support life is 20 lightyears away...That would take some serious speed to get there in a person's lifetime. Maybe suspended animation? Who knows. Unless we have an "Independence Day", I doubt any of us talking in these forums will ever know for certain if there is other life out there.

1. profile image0

Its very highly improbable. The cosmos is so very large for very good reasons.
          As a christian I could care less about life... complex life not single cell life, life that processes energy, replicates and stores information.

The heavens do show the glory of God in this area and others all roads do lead to God.

brotheryochanan

God in this area and others all roads do lead to God.

:Everyone is god:  Do we agree with this part or will you fight to the end of time trying to prove YOUR God is better than MY God

OR

A death in this life in exchange for an afterlife is all you live for

There is only one path to God. And that is thru Yeshua the Christ.

There is no other way.

1. profile image0
                Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And also through Zeus of course.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

Yahweh or No Way 

We experience about dictator and mean bosses in our lives, they are very short live in my real world.

By weighing Yahweh down and up sides and their pro and con , such fear, angry, arrogant, jealousy, picky attitude for rewards and punishment, closed mindedness, evidence, wars,hidden dinosaurse, unreasonable magic tricks and powers everything

If any human being  holds as many as God's image. downsides as this. Then this God or man of an image him,would not be  a boss of me

You can call it what you want, Castle.

I think that was what you were doing anyways?

But the fact is just that.

Yeshua Christ is the only way to God.

I suppose the universilist Christians like the new liberal Catholic Chaldeans will argue there is another... but there is not.

Christ Yeshua stated it as plain as day... and all the wishing it away won't change that.

I won't need to wish it, Yahweh will shrink all on his own.

2. profile image0
          Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that light travels at 186,000 miles per second, so it would be impossible for the human body to travel this fast, as we would be torn apart, even if we could create a space craft which could travel at this speed.  Even at this speed, it would take two million years to get from our own galaxy to the nearest one.  This is because light travels 10 trillion km in one year, but Andromeda is 21 quintillion km away, so even at this speed, it is impossible that man will even leave our own galaxy.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78

I wasn't talking about leaving our galaxy. I was talking about the closest planet that scientist think might have the conditions capable of supporting life. That planet is only 20 light years away. I am aware of how fast light travels. I don't know if humans can travel that fast or not, well because, we've never done it. There were theories about breaking the speed of sound as well. But humans can handle that. Who knows. It isn't the speed that is so bad, but the G-forces that are created if that speed is reached in a short amount of time. A gradual build might not bother us though.

17. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

I've heard this question asked before.

For reasons unknown to me we has people do like God but when God does something it's strange and unusual.

Why do the wealthy buy masions and large estates?  Why do some people ride around in limosines?.  Didn't kings have large provinces.

In the past there was a country where it was said that it was so large the sun never went down on it-Britain.

I believe it God hadn't made the universe large people would question is he so great?  Why then didn't he make a larger universe.

18. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

There is nothing wrong with it.

We, human beings, have to probe into all of it; it is a challange to us.

19. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Surface of Pluto May Contain Organic Molecules"

http://news.yahoo.com/surface-pluto-may … 08586.html

20. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years ago

I can not believe we are the only intelligent life in the universe. I believe there are many many other planets with life on them. There is much Native American art that could be UFO's or alien life forms. But man or human in his present form has only had the technology to find alien life for the last 100 years or so. That is only a drop in time.

I myself have saw several UFO's in my life that can in no way be explained. In at least one case I know the craft was not of this earth. If it was then the government is hiding much more than I ever suspected.

If you walk outside and look straight up you could theoretically go up in that direction for ever. I really thought that by this point in my life that proof of alien life would have come out or happened. It may still happen. If a alien space craft landed tomorrow on the White House lawn or in Central Park in NY it would change the world. 

If there is intelligent life on other planets and when we have proof it will change the world. In ways we could never imagine.

You did not actually see or meet an Alien up close, did you?

21. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 12 years ago

Huge universe because gotta keep us busy!

22. peanutroaster profile image63
    peanutroasterposted 12 years ago

The earth was just practice.  He played around with humanity for a while, grew bored and has moved on to more interesting things.  That's why he doesn't come down and meddle with us like he did in the old testament.

Wherewith it was carved in stone back in OT or in Present TV today, not accept it as truth unless I experience it for myself

23. peanutroaster profile image63
    peanutroasterposted 12 years ago

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
    Carl Sagan

24. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Everything is a manifestation of energy...including consciousness. This is the full implications of E=MC2, and doesn't negate the possibility of God.

God is just a word, it's that higher energy you get from casting out good questions and knowing how to  listen for those quiet answers that come back to you, that really counts in my experience

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)