GLBT Groups boycotting the Salvation Army....Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Repairguy47 profile image60
    Repairguy47posted 12 years ago
    1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"On its webpage, the group claims that "the services of The Salvation Army are available to all who qualify, without regard to sexual orientation." While the words are nice, their actions speak volumes. They blatantly ignore the position statement and deny LGBT people services unless they renounce their sexuality, end same-sex relationships, or, in some cases, attend services "open to all who confess Christ as Savior and who accept and abide by The Salvation Army's doctrine and discipline." In other words, if you're gay or lesbian, you don't qualify.

The organization also has a record of actively lobbying governments worldwide for anti-gay policies - including an attempt to make consensual gay sex illegal. (Yes, you're paying lobbyists with those donations.)"

There ya go.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

If you read the article you'd know why.

But I'll bite anyway.  The Salvation Army along with many other "Christian" charities is on record as being anti-gay marriage and holds the belief that gays should maintain celibacy as a lifestyle rather than offend God.

Some Gays dislike the idea of giving to a charity that finds their relationships to be sinful and abhorrent.

Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

So boycott a charitable organization who would be able to help a lot of people because they think differently than they do? How very caring they are.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which is essentially what you were waiting for a chance to say when you posted the question.  Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

If you had a different response than that you would have received a different response. You basically said they aren't getting what they want so we will throw a fit. I say throw a fit and I'll give double to the salvation army this year.

Look, I'm going to be completely honest here.  I do and will continue to give money to the SA because it offers programs in my area that there are no other organizations provide.

However, I view it and much of the charity work I do for Christian organizations as a necessary evil.  To help people, they are the ones I have to deal with.  On an actual volunteer level, most of the people I deal with are liberal Christians or atheists.  (As an aside, I always thought that was funny that fundies are too busy talking to actually do any work)

In short, the views of the organization are not the views of the people that are actually making the difference.

Now, on the flipside... would you give money to a Gay organization that was providing food to the hungry... or an anti-firearm organization that was providing Christmas gifts?  How about Satanists that were running a spay/neuter program?

Yes, I would give money to a gay organization that was helping the needy, are there any? No, I wouldn't give money to a satanist organization claiming to help animals, I wouldn't believe they cared.

GLBT groups do work on the local level (my college group did food drives and toy drives)Search for local groups in your area.

Now, using your same logic try a little empathy.  Put yourself, for just a moment, in the shoes of a gay man (or lesbian if it's easier for you).  Would you believe that a charitable organization cared about you if it was essentially calling you and the person that you loved an abomination?  How about an organization that said that regardless of your feelings for your wife, you should never be intimate with her or for that matter married to her.

It just seems odd that an organization that is supposed to be about love and respect has a public stance that reflects intolerance.

How about the intolerance of the GLBT community? I have never had a salvation Army bell ringer say anything to me about homosexuals, has it happened to you?

*smiles* Nice attempt at diversion but you didn't answer my question.  How would you feel about giving money to an organization that said you and your wife shouldn't be married and aren't allowed to be intimate?  Would you feel they were caring?

2. profile image0
              EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For some reason, this made me chuckle lol

2. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is the Salvation Army the only organization that provides help to the needy?

Good thing we have a choice.

No its not and feel free to give to give to whomever you choose.

3. skyfire profile image78
        skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*cough* helping lot of people ? Does that include spending on pedophile priests salary and supporting to right political parties ? Since when church and charities started doing something constructive without asking anything in return.

Are you trying to say something?

1. skyfire profile image78

erm... nothing? Hail mary.

Throwing a pass?

1. skyfire profile image78

*burp*

You're excused.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Charitable Organizations have to compete for money just like everyone else.

I can choose to give my money to the Red Cross, St. Jude's, The Shriners, or any other.

If one chooses to be mean to LBGTQ, then I'll give my money to one with a slightly more open mind.

The free-market works.

3. Repairguy47 profile image60

I did a search of local gay charitable organizations and found they give money to gay related causes.

You are in Texas, yes?

Try this:  http://www.ersicss.org/index.php?option … p;Itemid=4

They donate to gay related causes (as the salvation army also donates to christian related issues) but they also do soup kitchen, women's health, and animal charity fundraising as well.

Maybe its my poor eyesight but I couldn't read a thing on that site, too dark.

Oh, here let me make it easier for you...

"Some of the organizations/causes we have raised money for are: The Montrose Clinic, The Bering/Omega Foundation, The Colt 45’s, The Garden Party, Miss Camp America, The Assistance Fund, Pet Patrol, Montrose Clinic Women’s Health Initiative, MCCR, GLOBO, The Pride Committee, The Montrose Activity Center, The Houston GLBT Community Center, NLA, PWA Coalition, Community Awareness for Transgender Shelter, Casa de Esperanza, The Names Project, Unhinged Productions, Fairy Godmothers, Stone Soup Food Pantry, PWA Holiday Charities, PAWS, Wishful Thinking Fund, AIDS Foundation Houston, Camp Hope, H.A.T.C.H., AssistHers, as well as many other worthwhile causes."

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

They donate money to anti gay rights groups, openly. Why would anyone donate to a group that will use that money against you? Just because you haven;t been keeping track of how they spend their money doesn't mean the rest of us are just making this stuff up. It's public record.

I personally don't donate to them because they evicted my elderly neighbor, who had terminal cancer, to sell the house she had been renting for decades for a quick profit.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would never donate to them after referring a 20 year old man to them for emergency accommodation during a freezing month of January some years ago. Unfortunately, the young man was not a prolific criminal, drug user or alcoholic, so the SA could not claim from the supporting people pot of money available from the government. Despite having a spare bed in the hostel, it was deemed that a young person with more problems would have been more profitable, so the young man I referred was turned away. Seven days later he was dead.

It's an imperfect organization to say the least.  It is however a well represented organization, especially in rural areas where such organizations are limited.  There is a lot of frustration on the lower levels where "real life" meets unrealistic operating expectations from the administrative guys.

My final conclusion is that the SA ends up doing a fair amount of good, but it is largely by accident... and by those in the trenches largely ignoring what the main offices say.

I agree with what you say Melissa. The people on the ground did not make that decision, and I never stopped referring. The problems with the SA were structural, at some level where they (the decision makers) did not work with people, just budgets. Those above and beyond (the decision makers) were not social workers, volunteers or probation officers. They were responsible for budgets! That's it! But I no longer give to that charity (not a reflection on the workers) I give, as much as I can afford, to charities that are engaged in the real world, as it is. smile

I just reread what I wrote and I see how it sounded.  I agree completely with you and what happened was horrible, but unfortunately not surprising.  Most of my money goes to my church, that has it's own program that is well-run but exceedingly small.  I still guide my kids (especially the littlest one) towards the red buckets because it seems like the most obvious example of giving available to me. (The kids aren't allowed to attend actual church services until they are old enough to have a firm grip of self)

I do volunteer at the SA events pretty often, because they are chronically low on actual workers (once again, I wonder where all those charitable fundies are) I wish my area had more secular charities as they tend to be more well run.

It sounded fine, it sounded honest. The charities are as effective as their workers and their objectives, be that secular or religious. You and I are a fine example of that, are objectives would be the same. To help, whenever we can, however we can. I would definitely volunteer at a religious event if I believed it would help people who need help, and I have no doubt that you would volunteer at a non-religious event to help however you could. Our objectives are the same. smile Whoever we are, we just need to question the motivations of the charity, religious or otherwise.

Awww Hollie, that is why you are my wife-in-waiting!  I could push the old man out the window if your visas are in order.

I will get them in order. We are charitable human beings, hubby can have the spare room!

Actually, the oldest will be moving out within the next couple months... That leaves him with two spare rooms.

2. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

mad

5. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

You will find as in every organisation members  of the Salvos that have engaged in homosexuality and peodophile behaviour.  They need to be careful not unlike the Catholic Church to be entirely hypocritical

6. KeithTax profile image71
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

Has anyone considered United Way as an alternative? Remember, giving is something you want to do, not something you are forced to do.

7. Repairguy47 profile image60

I'm glad I was able to offer a place where love could bloom.

This is the nicest gesture, in fact the only gesture, you have offered.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Oh?  You're still here?

lol

8. Rachelle Williams profile image92
    Rachelle Williamsposted 12 years ago

People who agree with homophobia are certainly welcome to donate to those organizations that have clearly made a stance against gays and lesbians.

There are plenty of other social service agencies that do not have a belief that I, as a lesbian, am less than human and do not deserve the same rights as anyone else. 

The Salvation Army performs a valuable service to the people they serve, so you should support them if you agree with their stance on homosexuality, and anything else for that matter. 

But, surely you can see that it would be completely ridiculous for someone like me to support them.

I agree completely with your feelings, but for some of us it's the best of the choices if we want to help.  Damn, I feel like a sell-out now sad

1. Rachelle Williams profile image92
        Rachelle Williamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You shouldn't feel like a sell-out.  You should always stand up for what you believe in. 

As long as you are being true to yourself, you should feel good about your choices.

9. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

Mind you if us LGBT were to deny charity and services to the salvation army I am sure they would boycott us to justify there actions. It works both ways :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)