Have you ever lied to your physician?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. ithabise profile image72
    ithabiseposted 12 years ago

If your answer is 'yes', about what and why? Were there any repercussions due to it?

2. ithabise profile image72
    ithabiseposted 12 years ago

I have never lied to a doctor. My problem has at times been not presenting enough information about my condition--but lying? Never. (That temptation is yet to come.)

3. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Indirectly, yes. It was my first pregnancy, very toxic,in my old country. I was throwing up all the time, could not work as I was literally throwing up ALL the TIME! Doctors took mercy on me and put me into the hospital for a month, as I developed high blood pressure into the bargain. They would prescribe me a bunch of medication, vitamins, what not, without any explanation what exactly I was supposed to take. I was scared to death for my unborn baby and NEVER TOOK ANYTHING. I would throw EVERYTHING out of the window as soon as nurse turned her back on me. I am sure the grass under my hospital room's window was growing VERY healthy big_smile. After a month of "treatment" and plenty of rest as there was nothing else to do in the hospital but to eat(if you can) and sleep, my blood pressure went down and I was released and went back to work and to throwing up... Was it a lie? Well,I was determined to have a healthy baby by all means. Never trusted doctors anyway...

ithabiseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Was it simply complications from the pregnancy, or was there an explanation as to why you were in such distress? I like the fact that at least somebody (you) was thinking about the child!

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All my pregnancies were very bad. I don't know why. I felt every second of it. I did not need a pregnancy test, ever . I felt it right away as if somebody hit me with a hammer and replaced me with somebody else, very sick one. Seriously, not a good experience.

4. Kris Heeter profile image70
    Kris Heeterposted 12 years ago

Nope, but I did have a physician in a round about way accuse me of not disclosing something about my health history.  I had been totally upfront with the guy.  But I guess maybe people do lie enough to doctors that they are naturally suspecting of patients and the truth.

ithabiseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can see men lying far more than women--that's if you can get him to even go! Good point though: never looked at it that doctors may suspect people to be untruthful with them.

5. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

Nope, but I discover I mislead myself many times regarding medical issues specifically bipolar disorder. Sometimes I follow some of the recovery steps - confusion, denial, anger, depression, acceptance, testing phase, then emotional adjustment.

So, in a sense it is not disclosing information to medical professionals, since I tell them openly, it is not listening to self or complying with procedures of self. Then again, physician heal thyself is an old saying,  which could be construed as religiosity, and there goes the pendulum toward realization. I've been manic all day and all night for that matter.

Therefore, my prescription is to stop writing manically, eat something, rest, then comeback and check for damage control.

Thank you for this forum question - it has contributed to my well being - smile!

6. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

All the time...lol

7. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I used to always tell the doctor I only smoked 10 - 15 cigarettes if she asked. Stuck to that story for years LOL

8. ennaye profile image56
    ennayeposted 12 years ago

No , never. But always felt the doc is not interested in listening to my problems.
    Would have loved to lie about my weight, but could not as weight is so evident. He would not have believed it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)