"Christianity" vs. "Roman Catholisism"

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image59
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Christianity I see as the following of and the belief through faith, in the teachings of Jesus Christ and the acceptance through faith that Jesus is God.

Roman Catholisism embraces most, but not all of Jesus teachings but not all, and then interjects different teachings into the Roman Catholic Dogma.

Which is more correct which is more incorrect and why?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
      MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was unaware that belief that Jesus was God was necessary for Christianity. 

Other than that, Catholicism is a branch of Christianity and is no more/less valid than any other branch of the religion.

1. Chris Neal profile image77
        Chris Nealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Belief in Jesus being the Son of God and also that He died and rose again on the third day are the cornerstones of Christianity.

1. LookingForWalden profile image60
          LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not to the gnostic Christians or Christian Deists. big_smile

Ever hear of a little book called "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" ?

Don't tell them who wrote it!  Fundies have this need to both 1. Say that non-trinitarians AREN'T Christians and 2. Claim that America was founded as a Christian country.  As it is impossible for them to change their minds about either of these points, learning of that particular bible might cause internal hemorrhaging.

Lol.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59
              couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who did write it?  I'd like to read it.

Thomas Jefferson

Lol. You said not to tell em. big_smile
                  It was handed out to all incoming congressmen till the 1950s. I heard they started handing them out again about 10years ago.

The same people who tell me that I am not a Christian proudly say that "There has never been a non-christian president"... I find it hilarious that by those standards there have actually been 6 non-christian presidents and fully over half of the original signers of the declaration were also not Christians.  BUT... America was founded on Christianity.

I couldn't resist telling... I am human after all.

2. Chris Neal profile image77

Gnosticism and Christianity are inherently antithetical. Either you believe in Grace (a cornerstone of Christianity) or you believe in works (which basically means everything else, including gnosticism.)
            No, I've never heard of that book, but if it depends on the "Gospels" of Mary, Judas or Thomas then there's a reason for it.

Your proving the point of dictating what a Christian is.
              It doesn't depend on them.
              Probably should have read the above posts before you did.

I don't have time to read all the posts. That's not snark, I have a sick wife and a special needs kid. I assumed you would enlighten me if I was wrong.

I'm not dismissive either. If it's a book that I might be interested in, then please tell me more.

I don't define Christianity, the Bible does.

1. lizzieBoo profile image60
                  lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you said that the cornerstone of Christianity is grace. That is exactly right. It is grace that has given us Christianity, not the Bible. The Bible was compiled by Christians, that is to say, those who were graced with faith were able to verify which, of a large number of texts, were God's truth.
                  Those chosen texts remained together for Roman Catholics, albiet in Latin, until the Reformation when, with the King James English translation, a number of texts were removed.
                  My question to Protestants is, if the Bible is the word of God and is true from cover to cover, why were things removed from it when it was translated?

1. profile image0
                    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only the New Testament was written by Christians,
                    But not all. Revelations is Hebrew, not Christian

The Old Testament also Hebrew

2. Cassie Smith profile image60
                    Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The answer probably lies in the split from the Catholic Church during the Reformation.  Protestants made sure that they are distinct from the Catholic Church and how they did that probably was by reorganizing the Bible.  Look at Jefferson and his Bible as an example.  By the way, not all Protestants sects take the Bible literally.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

Chris - what do you think is the reason?  Is it Thomas the Doubter or Thomas Aquinas?  (I think Aquinas came later - a catholic saint).  I'd like to hear what you think of the gospels? of Mary, Judas, Thomas.

That they are all fundamentally at odds with the Synoptic Gospels and the writings of Paul. They put forth a gnostic vision of Jesus and God, where matter is bad and spirit is good, which disagrees with the Bible that holds that creation is inherently good, whether matter or spirit. It's what we do with it that corrupts matter.
                They also hold that man is inherently good, which again is at odds with the Bible, which states in Jeremiah that the heart of man is desperately wicked and always tending toward sin.

2. Valerie F profile image61
                Valerie Fposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I may, the Gnostic texts attributed or alleged to have anything to do with Mary, Judas, or Thomas are early examples of fan fiction- interesting to read perhaps, but completely lacking the veracity and even the quality of canon.

Back on topic, no Catholic worships the pope. Not even your Catholic friends, Jane.

That's an interesting but thoroughly modern thing to say. Back in the 2nd century, "fan fiction" would have been a very costly and time consuming pursuit. It was more of an attempt to synchretize Christianity with Greek philosophy and Roman mystery religions.

1. Valerie F profile image61
                    Valerie Fposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fan fiction back then was no more costly than making up any story and telling it to others. No doubt there were numerous stories circulating about Jesus around the time (much later than the canonical Gospels and the epistles) the Gnostic texts were written that were indeed pure fiction or contradicted canon.

2. profile image0

Greeks are Christian, they have no other religion

2. profile image0
      andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"All Roman Catholics are Christians but all Christians are not Roman Catholics." big_smile

Jokes apart, neither is more correct or incorrect. Only Jesus Christ is correct. But one has to understand the real need of embracing any religion in one's life. If one has a crystal clear idea why religion is required and in which form in one's life, there should not be any such confusion as mentioned in the topic by the OP.

Merry Christmas! smile

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Neither are more correct or more incorrect because you have presented false premises within the comparison.

Actually, surprisingly, he couched the question appropriately with statements like "I believe" and "through faith"

He isn't arguing proof and evidence. 

Responding with "its a fallacy" is just trolling.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

What? I merely pointed out he offered false premises within the comparison. How is that trolling? Sheesh.

No, all you did was say the premises are false. You don't say why. From anyone else, I would thinkk it was a troll, but that's just the way you roll.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Oh I see, the obvious false premises are not so obvious.

Dave's claims of the Catholic Church interjecting teachings are no different than teachings that were interjected into Christianity.

"Oh I see, the obvious false premises are not so obvious"
                Glad to see you're finally catching on.
                Of course, if you really were so much smarter than me you could, you know, actually teach instead of sneer.
                That would be refreshing.

4. secularist10 profile image61
      secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems like you've answered your own question.

But the fact is, comparing Protestantism and Catholicism is like comparing Big Foot and the Loch Ness monster. Which is more correct?

They both rely, fundamentally, on unprovable, unverifiable, fantastical claims that require blind faith.

There is no way of telling who is right and who is wrong when reason and evidence do not apply. Anything goes.

5. couturepopcafe profile image59

Having been both at different times, they both believe from the same book.  Catholics add those appointed sainthood posthumously and of course the pope who makes the laws governing Catholicism.  Otherwise, same religion not including the minor things (such as Church of Christ doesn't allow dancing)

I'm pretty sure - but don't feel like looking it up - that believing Jesus is the son of god, the son of man, the way, the light, the word, the lamb, the messiah - is all tangled up with believing Jesus is god. Catholics are the only ones who name a trinity as The Trinity but the underlying text in OT points to Father, Son, Spirit as one and the same in both branches.

The only requirement for all Christians (at least according to the Bible) is that no one gets to the father but through Jesus so one must believe he is the saviour.  Please don't make me look it up.

Actually, I believe that the "requirement" for Christianity is having a belief system based on Biblical teachings included in the New Testament.

On that note, Satanism is based off of Judeo-Christian beliefs.  Just saying.

It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to argue which is wrong, as most religions actually agree on most things.  It's little quirks that cause all the issues and arguing about a 10 percent difference (or less) in beliefs sounds nitpicky to me.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59

Yes.  I'm not actually promoting one or the other.  I based my comment for requirement on what I was taught in both schools of thought.  They say that you can do everything else right but if you don't believe Jesus is the messiah, you're out.  This is what they mean by getting to the father.

6. lizzieBoo profile image60

There is a great deal which is misunderstood about the RC church. Much of the misunderstandings are in the visual elements which have evolved over a 2000 year period and are therefore submerged in a historical resonance which isn't always clear to the modern observer.
      Much of what we see are alot simpler than might appear, but everything has a very relevant and particular symbolism of its own, and in keeping with everything we know about scripture. Many people look at the opulence within some bigger churches and mistake it for an exhibition of power and might. The truth behind that tradition is simpler.

Christianity became Catholic, or in other words, Universal, with the conversion of  Roman empire, which dominated 2 thirds of the world at that time. After Rome was Christianised, they converted their giant bathhouses and temples into the churches we now call Basilicas, because they were large enough fit the hundreds of people who could now worship without fear of execution. Constantine's mother Helen, the Empress of Rome, and therefore the worlds richest and most powerful woman also converted to Christianity. After doing so, she decided to pilgrimage around the world, visiting churches and decorating them with her gold and jewels which she no longer wanted, thus starting a tradition of churches being decorated in the same splendor. Her treasure went from being a source of power and status to being nothing more than untouchable beauty. The gold we see in churches is not currency either. It merely has visual appeal.

The tradition of saints and angels is Biblical. Angels are mentioned, sometimes by name, numerous times in scripture. Saints are those, like the men and women chosen by Christ himself, whose faith, good works and sacrifices are an example for us to follow.

Rosary beads are designed to aid meditation and prayer, as are the stations of the cross and statues, which give a focus towards prayer and humility. These are just a few elements which are beautiful when they are understood and imparted with love.

Excellent information.  Well done, you.

Thank you.

2. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

The Catholics of today teach an interpreted bible vs evangelicals teaching with a fundamental approach.

The catholic method leads to a more pliable and adaptable version of Christianity, one that can include science.

Fundamentalism, well, humans riding dinosaurs 5000 years ago. Need I say more?

I'm not saying one is right over the other.
    One is just extremely ridiculous.

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

RCism is Christianity with the addition of a few theological-philosophical dogmatic extras and a lot of guilt.

Mind you, having been brought up very traditional RC and then had brushes with evangelical fundamentalists, I do not think guilt is exclusive to RCism.

4. profile image57
    Arcjahadposted 12 years ago

I was told by a Pastor than since I don't believe in the trinity that I wasn't a Christian , so I researched his comment and he is correct but I'm glad that I'm not a Christian because now I can read the bible and see the truth of the scriptures without all the made up crap that man has ruin the the scriptures with like the trinity, hell for humans and the secret rapture . The scriptures are absolutely beautiful when you read the pure word

Please explain your view of the phenomenon of father, son, holy spirit as anything but a holy trinity? 

Also, it's my understanding that the rapture is written in Revelation.  Is this not your view of it?

5. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

We shouldn't ever forget that the R.C. church is the mother of all forms of organized religions which call themselves Christian.

As the old saying goes, Like Mother like daughter. The same in many ways and different in others.

The limbs of a tree look different than the trunk and is still one with the roots. Catholicism is the root system of Organized religion as it is today.

At least; that is the way that I see it.

1. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I beg to differ.Your analogy of Christianity[with its many branches]having its"root"in Catholicism is incorrect.
      The thing is,a tree has many roots,Catholicism is the trunk of Christianity...but not the root or roots.
      The diversity of vastly different beliefs and writings after Christs death[if he was,in fact,a human and not a symbol for some metaphysical wave washing over humanity]would be the roots of Christianity.
      Out of hundreds of books and at least thirty established sects only 27 were chosen for what became the catholic church.I find that rather odd.

"These are only a few of the things Christ said and did.If you put them all into books I suppose they would fill the whole world" 
      The end of the book of John
      ...what do you suppose he was telling us?We should search for the rest so we have a clear understanding?Was he speaking of such great volume because Christ symbolised this jump in human spiritual evolution?

1. Jerami profile image57
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see this last night when I checked in for a few.

You do have some good points in your reply of which I could agree.
        The key word in my statement above was ORGANIZED religion.

The roots of our faith in God go all the way back to the beginning.
          The roots of organized religion (Christianity) as we know it today go back to 326AD.
          Faith in religion is one thing and faith in Jesus Christ is a another.

I may not be expressing myself properly?

Gotta run off for a while; again.

1. cheaptrick profile image73
          cheaptrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Again,at the risk of incurring your wrath,I beg to differ.
          There were many large organised sects with their version of canonical works.
          It's an illusion to think that random scattered books circulated,then were drawn together to form the 326CE canonical bible[which,by the way,was and still is changed all the time]of the RC church.
          The 27 books selected had already been deemed canonical by the bishop of Alexandria two hundred years before.
          It's a fact that Constantine rammed the 27 through the council of Nicea which was a rubber stamp affair.The whole thing was for political expediency.
          The RC church hijacked Christianity and turned it into something entirely different to serve political ends.That move[along with the destruction of all other sects,cause now They had the power]effectively severed all"Roots"and allowed the RC to dictate what Christianity was.
          The protestant movement began,as most reformations do,as a purification when Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the door.
          The first thing on his list was:You don't need buildings or another person to worship,you need your direct relationship with God....it's curios that that is the core of Gnosticism[the early churches most dangerous competitors] as well.
          Look around and see what people have done with what he said.Huge churches,massive clergy,and Tithe,Tithe,Tithe.
          True Christianity can not be represented by that.If Christians really want to follow Christ they should live the way he did in every way,don't see much of that.
          Sorry about the length of this post.

1. Jerami profile image57
            Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Again,at the risk of incurring your wrath,I beg to differ.
            =====================

I have no wrath left in me ...   thank God it has all been spent!

====================================
            It's a fact that Constantine rammed the 27 through the council of Nicea which was a rubber stamp affair.The whole thing was for political expediency.
            ========================================

Then we agree ??
            ========================================================

The RC church hijacked Christianity and turned it into something entirely different to serve political ends.That move[along with the destruction of all other sects,cause now They had the power]effectively severed all"Roots"and allowed the RC to dictate what Christianity was.
            ============================================================

I agree,  Just as it was predicted by John in Rev. 13
            ============================================

The protestant movement began,as most reformations do,as a purification when Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the door.
            The first thing on his list was:You don't need buildings or another person to worship,you need your direct relationship with God....it's curios that that is the core of Gnosticism[the early churches most dangerous competitors] as well.
            =====================================

Exactly!  Just as John said that it would be! But the organization (catholisism) Killed all oposition. As it is written , and then told us to interpret scripture as we like. ?
            ======================================
            Look around and see what people have done with what he said.Huge churches,massive clergy,and Tithe,Tithe,Tithe.
            True Christianity can not be represented by that.If Christians really want to follow Christ they should live the way he did in every way,don't see much of that.
            Sorry about the length of this post.
            ========================================

Don't be sorry!   Just think about what you wrote.
            I couldn't have expressed it better myself.

6. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

lizzieBoo, Dave Mathews;
    In my opinion; You both are absolutely correct.

It is so easy to see the dogma that others posess.
    Kinda like dirt on the back side of our own knee caps.  It takes  lot of effort to see our own.

The NT is but a very small percentage of that which ws being taught in the first half of the first century.
      Let us "assume" that everything which is written in the NT WAS true at that time, around 55 AD.

Where I disgree with religion is concerning those things that happened after that time.

Speciftclly the "Rapture"  and "second coming".
       People say that these could not have happened yet or it would be documented in history. And we would know it.  Really?

During a time when  war is going on and 10s of thousands of Hebrew rebels are being hunted and killed, followed by Millions being relocated throught out the rest of the Roman Empire, that 144,000 individuals couldn't just vanish without everyone knowing about it??   Really ??

What were the names of the Indians that died on the "Trail of Tears" and what was the exact number of them that laid on the side of the trail?

As I have been saying for two years now! 
    We can NOT even begin to understand prophesy when we refuse to attempt to understand there being a timeline established that these prophesy are/were to be fulfilled.
       We can't even bake a biscut without having some kind of understand as to how much time must pass before we take them out of the oven.

And prophesy is MUCH more complicated than baking biscuts!

This is when and where organized religion fell off of the narrow path.

I agree with the song that says "Jesus loves me this I know cause the bible tells me so" 
      But I do not agree with organized religions Interpretations of scripture.

7. bettybarnesb profile image60
    bettybarnesbposted 12 years ago

Hey Dave: I truly do not know a great deal about Roman Catholic beliefs. I can only comment by what the HOLY BIBLE tells us. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law of God and he didn't change any parts of the Old Testament. What he did was fulfill it. The entire Bible is written about Jesus; therefore, God will just the heart of mankind in "that day." I believe only God knows.

Be blessed...

1. profile image0

The Old and New Testament was written about and contains only God, No one else

8. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Beliefs are not something that people claim with their mouths. What you do in your life and how you treat others is the word of your belief.

Good and excellent thought.  What we think about (or believe) becomes our philosophy and our philosophy is what dictates our lives.

2. Chris Neal profile image77

Amen!

9. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 12 years ago

I did not know there was a Gospel of Mary and I was raised RC.  I have 4 different versions of the BIble & the Gospel of Mary is not in any of them.  Who wrote it & is it only in a Catholic Bible?

The Gospel of Mary is gnostic, so you won't find it in any Bible RC, Protestant or Eastern.

No one knows who really wrote it. Most scholars agree it is from the 2nd century.

10. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 12 years ago

On Christianity vs. RC the one thing I see is that Christians do not worship any idols but the Lord God, many of my Catholic friends worship the pope.

RC doctrine is not to worship the pope. He represents St. Peter, not God.

2. profile image51
      tonka21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

they don't worship the pope but they do reverence him

11. profile image51
    tonka21posted 12 years ago

I was brought up catholic but I now consider myself a christian, the RC church is christain & does believe in all of Jesus Christ teachings but they also have alot of man made rules that I don't really believe in, I'm not saying their bad just not nessacary as a christian, I also believe it doesn't matter where you worship as long as your praying in your heart to the one true God you can be in any church or anywhere, anytime, anyplace

12. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

"Christianity" vs. "Roman Catholisism"

Truthful Christianity of Jesus and Roman Catholicism are poles apart.

1. Mark O Richardson profile image82
      Mark O Richardsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Christianity is very broad and there are various denominations. Roman Catholicism is one denomination and I feel that it has some truth.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There are 30000 christian denominations. Most Christains, are Catholic and you state they have some truth. The Bible says they are the Universal truth and knowledge.

Pope Francis believes in the Big Bang, evolution, Aliens are our Saviors and Dogs go to heaven. I will go more with the Pope, he is less one-sided and diverse.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)