What On Earth?? Duplicate Content???Help!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

I have just written a hub last night, about a singer, who has never been written about before, apart from on her own YouTube site, and I have been wacked with a duplicate warning and unpublished!!! How on earth can it be duplicate when the whole hub came out of my brain? On top of this it says it was human monitored!!! how on earth can it possibly have happened? and how am I supposed to know what bit is so called copied, if they don't tell me??? sorry to rant, but this was written every single word from my brain, nobody else's, with help from the girls family!!! any ideas?

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

None, your new hub had been indexed but no snapshot was taken of it, so we can't see it.

Check yourself that nobody, perhaps the girl on Facebook or something, hasn't copied verbatim what you have written as you were writing it?

I can't help thinking that if you wrote this with help from the girl's family, you may have shown them bits you have written for their approval or something?

Check bits of text into Google in case someone copied your hub the moment it was published, as that is another possibility.

Also, are there any quotes in the text that might be duplicated anywhere else? If so, take snapshots of them and add them back as images instead of text.

Oh and while I was looking at your cached hubs, I saw that your 'sleeping girl' hub has been copied word for word about 5 or 6 times.

1. Debby Bruck profile image65
        Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WOW! We could use your expertise to check all of our hubs. This trickery of other people to copy astonishes me.

2. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OOOOOOOOOONNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

You Must Ask Jason to please STOP trying to teach Cross-Eyed Elves how to moderate!! sad

It should also concern you that the 'Alf' responsible is Tone Deaf anyway! roll 
      Plus he's not tall enough to be deemed a Human Moderator and sees EVERYTHING double! sad
      I just don't understand why Cagsil continually forces his Strange Uncle 'Alf on the community!  yikes  He hasn't worked for Santa now for 17 years! (Sacked for overzealous stroking of the Reindeer apparently!) sad

Good Luck with this... maybe staff will manage to put it in the right perspective and put that wee problem out with the wrapping paper, if they can stay sober enough to trip over the little man! smile

Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol Thanks! I am going to get drunk with them!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Did your hub include the same content as her YouTube profile?

Maybe your summaries were very similar?

3. Nell Rose profile image91

Thanks guys, I think what has happened is that Jenna sent me her interview through email and as I copied what she had written word for word, it probably was the same content as on her Youtube page! talk about panic! lol! hopefully its resolved now as I have changed the wording, fingers crossed!

1. Debby Bruck profile image65

Good luck.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nell, a similar thing nearly happened to me once.

I've invited one or two belly dancers to do interviews and/or write guest blog posts for me.  I always say anything they give me must be original, not copied from anywhere else - but I'm learning not to trust them to obey that request!  Several times, they've sent me an interview they've already given to someone else, or a blurb straight from their website.  Sheesh.

4. Nell Rose profile image91

Hi, no I wrote it from an email from Jenna herself, maybe it was similar, but I have changed it now, so hopefully they will re publish it! phew! Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the good luck, this is the first time I wrote about someone with their collaberation, so thats probably why we got a few things the same!

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let us know when it is republished, because I am looking forward to reading it smile

Thanks Izzy, I am so annoyed! nobody else has written about her on the internet, even her mum has been investigating!

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years ago

I had a Duplicate that I could not figure out, so I just took it down. made my head swim lol.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I tried out Copyscape and found that when you use a LINKS capsule and any automatic text comes up with an url you plug in, that catches as "duplicate content". I've begun writing my own summaries for the Links or not using the Links capsule. Whew!

Cheers!

Hi, patty, thanks for your reply. I really can't figure it out on mine. I am in contact with a woman in America about her daughter, won't go into it as it will say what the hub is about, but it was her info and my writing that wrote the hub. Nobody else has written about the girl, and now I have googled every line and link! lol! and of course changed anything that may have been similar to what was on the girls youtube site. So hopefully they will republish it. if it was only my hub I would take it down, but I promised this family that I would write it, and sent them a copy. fingers crossed they will republish it, but it totally confused me! thanks!

2. Debby Bruck profile image65

Thank you for this note. I use both the LINKS capsule and the text box to insert hyperlinks. You are now suggesting we not use the automated NEW system. I see we do not have the same options as we did last week. They automatically pull up a list of suggestions.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I started writing my own descriptions for the non-hubpages links to avoid auto-flagging for duplicate content and I still do that, if I have a lot of links in a capsule. If one or two links only, I let it auto-fill the descriptions.

I think mine was because it was similar to what she had written on her YouTube page, so I just changed it around, first time it had happened so I will know next time, but it was strange, still it worked out. I will do it your way in future, thanks.

Whatever works best!

2. Peggy W profile image95
          Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is good information to know...regarding the link auto-fills.  Thanks!

6. Nell Rose profile image91

Its been sorted out now and republished! phew! thanks again for all the help.

Congratulations, that's great! I'll look at mine again in a couple days. I can always improve. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

nice! good to hear you got it worked out so fast.

7. tlpoague profile image82
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

This happened to my daughter this morning when she publish her third hub. I tried to warn her-before it was published- that it might have been a picture she was using and the way she formated the hub. (Her topic and format made it look as if she was copying it from a dictionary.) She is looking into it. Since she is still new, I have been trying to give her tips to help. I will have to keep Patty's idea in mind, the next time I am proofing my daughter's hub.
    I am glad to hear that you were able to work it out, Nell. I will have to jot over to read it.

1. homesteadbound profile image80
      homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know other people that this has happened to also.

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Just in case anyone hasn't seen this, I just noticed the message about duplicate-content messages going out in error (along with the message about the technical delay in reporting).  I don't know when the duplicate "issue" was discovered or began, though.

9. depression gone profile image55
    depression goneposted 12 years ago

seems crazy to think someone may have copied it onto a major site like facebook and then seen as duplicate content...probably is a mistake, you should get in contact about this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)