Astrology is Science or Beyond Science ...

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (77 posts)
  1. maulikbhatt profile image69
    maulikbhattposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5917070_f248.jpg
    “Vedic Jyotish Vigyan” is the key and complete Shashtra to understand the Nature and the effects of Nature, and it's absolutely through Astronomy, Mathematics, Geography and power of Nature.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Astrology is a science? Since when. lol

It's nothing more than mystical interpretation. lol But, nice try. hmm

1. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll

imho astrology is more of a science than math is, but hey, whoever claimed that astrology was anything more than guesswork?

roll

We know astrology is nothing more than mystical guesswork. As for astrology being more a science than math? Interesting thought. But, then again, I never considered Math a science. lol

lol, isn't it?

Never care enough about Math to ever be bothered whether or not it was a science. I guess it could be considered some type of science, if you want to get technical about it.

However, astrology isn't. wink

Yes, Astrology is a science.  Just not the kind of science you want it to be.  big_smile

1. Peter Hoggan profile image70
                  Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think math in itself is a science however it does provide scientists with a means of scientific notation and to test scientific theories.

Rafini, could you point to one scientific advance that astrology has brought about?

Peter, I think you're right.  I've heard math called a "non-exact science" and that's what I was referring to.  After all, it did lead to computer science (which is based on numbers/algorithms - right?)

Astrology is a subtle science...it advances an individuals understandings of themselves and others as well as the world (as in, interpersonal skills).  As I said, not the kind of science Cagsil wants it to be.  big_smile

2. psycheskinner profile image84
                  psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The science kind?  How does it meet any of the suggested hallmarks of science--falsifiability, objective validity of data, experimental testing?

Hi!

(the same way Math does)  big_smile

2. Goatus OQueef profile image60
      Goatus OQueefposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not science.
      Put it in the some pseudoscienticifc basket as homeopathy, numerology, phrenology and alchemy.

Not so sure homeopathy belongs in their, ganted there is a lot of nonsense and crackpots involved, but some natural cures do work.

1. Goatus OQueef profile image60
          Goatus OQueefposted 12 years agoin reply to this

not to the degree of western medicine. People seriously underestimate the power of the placebo effect.
          Natural medicines only ever seem to help with vague things like "I've got a general sense of unease" or "my chacras are off", so if they are told they are better, they 'feel' better.

Before chemists had the ability to synthesize salicylic acid (the active component of aspirin) we maid pain treatments from the bark of the birch tree which contains salicylic acid. A rather simpler example is taking medication to cure a headache, most of us do not hydrate our body effectively and one of the symptoms of this is a headache. So we take some medication and flush it down with some water. The headache disappears and the medication looks to have done its work but it’s often just good old water that’s corrected the underlying problem.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59
            couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Goatus - Not to the degree of western medicine?  No offense and with all due respect but that's probably the most misinformed comment of the day.  I can't think of any western medicinal cures...none.  Western medicine curtails symptoms caused by dis-ease or lack of homeostasis. Western medicine does not cure, in fact it tends to complicate the bodies natural healing capabilities. Homeopathy, when correctly applied, creates natural conjunction and allows the body to correct itself.  This is something which so many people don't 'get'.

Placebos are powerful generators of mind over matter.  They do, as you say, work.  Much the same way I believe a scab will form as a wound is healing, I can also expect my body to correct itself given the right tools and edification.

Perfectly said.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
                psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't know any western medical cures?

Like vaccines that stop kids from getting Measles? Like antibiotics that cure a child with an infected wound? Like chemotheraphy that shrinks a tumor? Like serotonin uptake inhibitors that reverse suicidal thinking? Like anesthetics that allow for painful life-saving operations after car accidents? Like plasma that replaces lost blood and stops you from bleeding to death? Like antivenoms that stop you from dying of a snake bite? Like insulin that makes diabetes a chronic rather than fatal condition?

None of this cures the condition the person presents with and saves their life?  Really?

The point being made is that medicines like insulin treat the symptom not the underlying condition.

Everything you have said does save lives and we are much better off for it. However your take on what is being said is missing the point, which is, that some homeopathic cures do work.

2. Peter Hoggan profile image70
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

Astrology is science? Yep, and chalk is cheese!

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, man, I was wondering why that white thing in the refrigerator tasted so...well chalky.

lol, buy better quality cheese couturepopcafe.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Also cats are dogs.

4. GoldenBird profile image58
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

Hi maulikbhatt,

You have asked just the right question. You surely have a good knowledge of hubpages forums. We have some scientists who frequent these threads, and you will be very unfortunate if you miss to receive some of their most treasured feedbacks on this most serious subject. Good luck!

5. maulikbhatt profile image69

Shubham All Scholars,
    Good to see your replies … Kindly clear that....
    What you understand about Astrology?
    And if you don’t know Astrology than how can Claim anything about IT?
    Shubham…

1. brittanytodd profile image88
      brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know it's based on the location of stars thousands of years ago.  They are now out of place, which is why they have recently updated the calendar and many are reluctant to make the switch.  It's simply a money-making scam now and is no longer considered a serious science (if at all).

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let me bite and that too hard.

You astro folks consider the mystical effect of Jupiter in kundali and the thing is that jupiter gets regularly knocked out by meteors and few other internal changes.

Do you by any wild wet imagination think that the effect of Jupiter (whatever it is as per you) is going to be same today in comparison to the effect when kundali and rest of the astrology game structured at first ?

1. Publicminded profile image58
        Publicmindedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. skyfire profile image80

Tanmoy, GoldenBird Profile is enough to post here.

Why one more profile for trolling?

6. Peter Hoggan profile image70

maulikbhatt, you are the one making the claim that astrology is a science, surly then the onus is on you to prove it so.

So in your own words define science, how astrology fits in, and what scientific advances astrology has given us.

7. Peter Hoggan profile image70

What do you mean by "Beyond Science"?

8. maulikbhatt profile image69

Shubham Peter Hoggan,
    What you understand Astrology and also Science?
    If you understand both than I think there is no any questions in your mind.
    Shubham..

Stop assuming that we are in agreement with you.

You have yet to prove anything, atleast I don't fall for your TV and all the glossy stuff as a credibility. That will work on clueless people who look upto astrologers for the answers to their life.

9. maulikbhatt profile image69

Shubham skyfire,
    You are yet not understand that
    This is not about anybody (Me or you or any other humanbeing)...
    But it is about Astrology and Science
    So how can you understand other things my dear…
    Kindly talk about subject no personal offence...
    Shubham..

*Sigh* Typical religious indian assuming that person who disagrees with you knows nothing about what you preach eh?

I posted a question for you. So let me repeat that.

"You astro folks consider the mystical effect of Jupiter in kundali and the thing is that jupiter gets regularly knocked out by meteors and few other internal changes.Do you by any wild wet imagination think that the effect of Jupiter (whatever it is as per you) is going to be same today in comparison to the effect when kundali and rest of the astrology game structured at first ? "

So tell me about this astrology thingummy which is science and beyond science as per you.

Deleted

1. maulikbhatt profile image69
          maulikbhattposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

You're here to get subscribers to your prediction service, right? It shows in all your hubs. That means you lied about -

1. Preaching (this covers point of identity which you have to show to get new subscribers)
            2. Showing negative side of astrology by indirectly linking it with betting (is that how you make us (Indians) proud on international forum?)

Do you have the capacity to answer any of the questions that have been asked? So far everything you have posted has been a complete misuse of magnetism and electricity, an understanding of both these topics is the result of scientific endeavor.

10. Peter Hoggan profile image70

I can see no connection between astrology and science. In my opinion astrology should be spelled with a double s.

Asstrology!

11. maulikbhatt profile image69

Shubham skyfire,

Kindly talk about subject no personal offence or something like…

If you have no capacity than how can you understand the things my dear…

You can ask questions…

But if you not have primary school level knowledge than   how can understand university level things

If you understand than kindly clear that …

What you understand Astrology and Science?

Shubham..

*sigh again*

Dude, I posted question for you, read it again and if you can understand simple scientific query in it then answer it.

If you can't spot any valid query in it then I suggest going back to nearest ICSE school for studying science.

Stop assuming what I know or understand about astrology. Try throwing any astro gibberish at me, you'll see.

Once again, Read my question in previous post and answer it.

12. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

Back in the days of the Yorkshire Ripper I shared a house with, among others, an astrologer. He took the information relating to the known victims and worked back to a date of birth for the perpetrator which was within two weeks of the man eventually caught - Peter Sutcliffe.

While I do not understand astrology I respect it.

So he got the date wrong then!

1. Charles James profile image67
        Charles Jamesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To get within 2 weeks was pretty good for an unscientific guess.
        For a logical process it is still pretty good. To get more accuracy he needed more murders but fortunately Sutcliffe was caught by otheer means first.

13. Peter Hoggan profile image70

maulikbhatt, I think your understanding of science is closely paralleled with your understanding of the English language.

However, as always I am quite happy to be proved wrong. So let me ask you again, what has astrology contributed to the field of science?

14. maulikbhatt profile image69

Shubham,
    This is not about my understanding of English language …
    Astrology is mother of Science…
    … Astronomy is comes from Astrology.
    Shubham,

Really?  sweet ^_^

How astrology measures force of gravity from planets like Jupiter and Saturn? Here's university level question for you wink

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, in the very same way understanding and knowledge comes from ignorance and myth. smile

1. GoldenBird profile image58
          GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When did you make your last hub? lol

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Let me consult the planets and the stars for an answer and I'll get back to you on that one.

OK, Now I am a believer. My astrological sign is Scorpio and I have just found an article that describes Scorpios perfectly. Every douting Thomas must read this. All the star signs are covered.

http://www.jokes2go.com/lists/list6.html

My astrological Sign is Aries and there's some funny stuff in there.

That boss's wife part made me spit water on monitor lol

3. maulikbhatt profile image69

Shubham,

This is not exact astrology my dear.. and not a subject of belief ..

However

First you have to understand Tropical & Sidereal Zodiac

The article you send is about Tropical Zodiac and Sun Signs.

My dear if you wants perfect guidance than kindly follow Sidereal Zodiac and Moon Sigs

Shubham,

Why haven't you responded to what I said?  If you truly believe in it, you could at least try to argue against what I said with critical discourse (and possibly some peer reviewed sources like dipless said...

Hey Brittany, now what fun would that be? lol

Hahaha big_smile

tongue

4. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 12 years ago

If you switch your attention from poetry to science for a few minutes Tanmoy then you'll see why objects heavier than air can fly.

My question to OP still remained unanswered- How Indian astrology calculates the gravity or any form of force from planets like Saturn and Jupiter to us which is often considered in Kundali and rest of the calculations of kundali. OP is purposefully avoiding question because he's got no idea about that. It's genuine query which doesn't require much offense from likes of you.

Deleted

When someone sticks their head through the noose of stupidity and ignorance someone is going to tug the rope. maulikbhatt has been asked on multiple occasions to provide relevant answers and all have gone ignored. The opening post is both stupid and ignorant and an insult to anyone with the slightest intelligence, perhaps that should be a reason for flagging. It’s frustrating when people like maulikbhatt make insane claims and downright refuse to substantiate them, this is the stuff that elicits angry and frustrated responses.

There isn't any degrading in it, as it's from observation which you can see If you follow each and every post of OP. There isn't anything Uncivilized there as well, Tanmoy look around you see the perfect example for which you're accusing me.

@Uthurban, nice excuse for perfect science. Perfect science "astrology" lacks funding, attention and can't be explained on forum.  Fun stuff.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
          Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WHY Are YOU HERE?  sad

You appear to be Sniping at Skyfire on the pretense that you are concerned about the welfare of another... which of course is a ploy!

Factually you are only Butting In to a conversation where one person is totally misleading the forum with irrelevant posts in the hope that people will read his 'Terribly Self Promoted' hubs - and the other (Skyfire) of similar nationality is making a point of fact that relates ONLY to those of that nationality! And Rightly so, I believe!  If one of my countrymen insulted others internationally by calling everyone "My Dear!" I would certainly take the time to 'ReEducate' them also!

But Your Entity has been created SOLELY for the purpose of Sniping!

So.... Why Are You Genuinely Here? 
          I see Nothing Positive in Your Baiting Coach!

2. uthurban profile image56
        uthurbanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is simply impossible to dictate your questions in a thin forum like this one. You should better do some research, or get some recent books published from BHU. Indian Astrology is a perfect science, however, due to lack of funding and the presence of some morons like you, it is not getting its due attention.

In a forum, one can't teach you from scratch. Its not possible. If you are such an ignorant moron then go and first refresh yourself with a bit of worldly knowledge.

Stay away!!!!

uthurban, perhaps you can help maulikbhatt out here, in what way can astrology be considered a science and what has astrology ever contributed to the field of science?

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Here's some "worldly knowledge" for ya from wiki...

"In the early 2000s, under the Bharatiya Janata Party led government, astrology became a topic of political contention between the religious right and academic establishment, comparable to the "Creation science" debate in US education.

The University Grants Commission and the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Government decided to introduce "Jyotir Vigyan" or "Vedic astrology" as a discipline of study in Indian universities, backed up by a decision by the Andhra Pradesh High Court, despite widespread protests from the scientific community in India and Indian scientists working abroad. In September of the same year, the Supreme Court of India issued a notice to the Ministry of Human Resource Development in reaction to a petition, stating that the introduction of astrology to university curricula is "a giant leap backwards, undermining whatever scientific credibility the country has achieved so far".

In 2004, the Supreme Court dismissed a further petition, judging that the teaching of astrology does not qualify as promotion of religion. In February 2011, the Bombay High Court reaffirmed astrology's standing in India when it dismissed a case which had challenged it status as a science."

big_smile

5. dipless profile image68
      diplessposted 12 years ago

This is another clear example where someone with minimal understanding of what science is. Please could you explain to us in clear language what Astrology has brought to any field of science and please back up your statement with peer reviewed papers. If you are unable to do this I just think you are trying to preach your views on astrology to us and people don't take kindly to being preached at.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mind You...

It does emphasis the importance of pelvic floor exercises though! big_smile

1. dipless profile image68
          diplessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile haha indeed it does.

Peer review? funny as hell.

Check how OP responds to any skeptical query throughout this thread. If you don't believe in what he's selling then you're clueless.lol This pattern is quite common among religious people who practice numerology, tarot, astrology and everything mystic. This thread was unsuccessful attempt of self-promotion for his future prediction service.

Well I guess he didn’t predict the outcome of this thread accurately, just goes to show how good his predictions are smile

6. Peter Hoggan profile image70

dipless, when you say minimal, I think you are giving far too much credit. Ignorant might be more appropriate. I have asked the same questions on multiple occasions but there have been no answer’s so far.  You might be lucky, but I doubt it.

1. dipless profile image68
        diplessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, it possible is a more appropriate word, but until he refutes my questions personally, i'll refrain. Hopefully he can show me something credible to base his opinions smile but I doubt it.

7. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It is not narrow-minded to know what science is and what belongs in that category.

It is narrow minded to assume anything that is not science is not important.

On that basis I think making a grab for the "science" title on no factual basis just because it sounds "important" is narrow minded.

8. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 12 years ago

I do not believe this is even a question, or that it could generate so many responses.

Is psuedo-Science real Science?

Appearently for many today, it is.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)