Onward Christian Soldiers?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 12 years ago

One or two respondents on one of my hubs objected to my statement that all the familiar moral codes state that it is wrong to kill. They pointed out that the fifth Mosaic commandment is correctly translated "You shall not murder", not "You shall not kill". Of course I was well aware of that. But I find it odd that Christians should prefer to fall back on Mosaic law when Christ himself reportedly said "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets". That directive from the founder of Christianity clearly outlaws military killing, unless we are to believe that soldiers go into battle wishing to be killed. I therefore have no time whatsoever for the sophistry that continues to justify militarism.

Anyone?

1. manlypoetryman profile image76
      manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would venture a guess that most that subscribe to this particular statement you raise are "zealots"...with more passion then logical sense. I hope they explained their reason for answering your statement in such a manner. Christ came to abolish the old...and bring forth the new. That can not be deabated by strong believers in Christ. It is as true as any Mosiac Law. Also, Christ's parables...where you should not worry for anything...which ultimately means God is in charge. God will do what he says...when he says he will...how he says it. Though...I am sure passionate enthusiam for Christ is understandable...However, Christians are still to remain the "light" to the World...that Christ called upon.

In other words...slow your horses...when rushing to make statements. Does your position help to show the love of Christ in what you say? No one is perfect by any means...everyone down deep...wants to defend our God, and also our Savior, Christ...(myself included)...but in the end run...we must ask ourselves...if the message we just sent out...is a good one? Does what we say...aid the body of Christ...here on the planet...and those that would be a part of it.

Case in point...Do you feel that every televangilists has furthered the message of Christ in a good way? I don't think anyone can say "yes"...all though many a televangilists was just given it all he/she had...in passion for Christ?

In this Christmas season...Any and All Christians...remember why the Christ child was born to the World...Go forth with a message of Peace and Love...and even if you be as human (myself included) as the next person...don't forget the pin-point messages of Christ...and bring forth his light to a World. A World that just does'nt quite get him...and a World that does!

Merry Christmas to Everyone...and a Very Blessed New Year!

2. Cassie Smith profile image60
      Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus is not the founder of Christianity, he was a jew.

Your argument seems to be a case of sophistry itself.  What christians are you referring to that justifies militarism?

Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course, but I'm sure you understood me. I'm happy to call him the inspiration for Christianity, or the well-head, if you like.
        The ones that do. I'm not going to name names. If you think there are no such people, just ignore the assertion.

1. Cassie Smith profile image60

Well that sounds a little like people who think jews control the world.  They won't name names but there's people who believe it.  I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is.  If there was one.

Nope, Jews don't control the world. Nobody is in absolute control, but big banking and big corporations are making a serious bid for it.

The point of the thread was to examine inconsistencies between stated beliefs and de facto beliefs particularly in the field of military adventurism as practised and advocated by some who also profess to follow Christ's teachings. In the public arena, Bush and Blair are obvious candidates, but even in this thread, Onusonus (who was not in any way the subject of the thread) appears to follow suit.

At least it's a more interesting thread than:
            God exists /no he doesn't /yes he does /etc wink

Oh well yes, you will certainly find a divergence of view points among individual Christians and the Christian world itself.  These view points caused schisms so that there are various sects of Christianity.  And I'm not only talking about Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox.  There's also ancient subsects like the Nestorians, Copts, etc.  Individuals can always find something in the Bible to support anything but that doesn't necessarily agree with the teaching of the Christian authority of whatever sect.

Also, if you are looking at public figures such as Blair and Bush, you should keep in mind that as public figures, they may have expressed their beliefs but the bottom line is that any government decision making cannot be dominated by their private beliefs.  Bush's decision to go into war against the Taliban in Afghanistan and what was thought to be a threat in Iraq was left over from the Cold War of mutually assured destruction.  You build up a strong army so that the communist opponent wouldn't even think to send anything your way.  However, times change and this strategy was not appropriate when it came to Islamic terrorists.

Iraq was not a country of Islamic terrorists before the allied invasion. But we've successfully fostered the terrorist mindset by our intervention. And we're doing the same in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

No, it was not a country of Islamic terrorists but it did have one dictator that did threaten the US and kept us guessing as to whether he had nukes, and was tolerant of the presence of Al Qaeda in his country.   Bush made the decision to attack and finish the job that his father aborted.  As for the terrorist mindset being fostered, it was done long before that and it will probably continue.  The Muslim Middle East are failed countries that aren't able to build democracies and economic futures for their citizens.  They've often used the US as a scapegoat for their failures and with the way things are going on over there, it will continue.  As always it will be their people that are suffering and continue to suffer.

I think maybe you have never lived in the Middle East? Your impressions seem to be stereotypes gleaned from American media. You might not have noticed yet, but the US (and most of Europe) has degenerated to oligarchy and is no more democratic than medieval France. Try voting out big oil or big banking and see how you get on.

3. JBBlack profile image60
      JBBlackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I kind of have the feeling that this tendency to support militarism has to do with a sort of contextualization in the old testament, as well as fulfillment of end time prophecy.  If you read the Bible from cover to cover, there is a great deal about war before there is a great deal about peace.  But when you get to the end again and start looking at bits about the resoration of Jerusalem and the final Battle between Jesus and Satan, if you interpret this sort of thing to be literal, once again things start to seem oriented towards physical conflict.  Excuse my limited knowledge and slight inaccuraices in detail please, if any.

I agree with you. I think it is a great shame that the Book of Revelation was ever included in the Bible. It comes across as the demented ramblings of a bitter old man.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, Paraglider, as an atheist it's difficult for me to understand the difference between "Murder and Kill" Giving the benefit of the doubt, I would imagine that the distinction is between deliberately taking another's life and finding oneself in a situation where it is necessary to take another's life in order to protect one's own life: Self defense??

It must be awful to live in the US, and feel that everyday you need to be armed, because your life is at risk. Doesn't sound like a free, great or wonderful nation to live in!

As for the young men and women who, in my opinion, go off to war to protect "Us" I feel that this is very sad and misguided. They do not protect "us" they are inadvertently helping an elitist group rape other nations of their natural resources and sovereignty. I know, I  will be slammed for this viewpoint. But, I'm trying to cast my mind back to when the so called "enemy" were ever really a threat to us. Let me see, can't remember a time  when this was "truly" the case. No to militarism. Let the likes of Bush, Blair et.al, send their own children off to war.

I've never lived in US but have worked there quite a lot over the years. It's not such a bad place, but far less diverse culturally than Europe (generally). And what passes for politics is hopelessly bipolar. Too many people believe their own myths, at least that's what I see. Certainly, the streets are far safer in the Middle East!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

x

agreed.

But no on m.e.

5. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A true Christian would never be offensive; yes he could defend.

2. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

97Paraglider Good Morning
      "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets".

============

Good morning Paraglider

sipping on my first cut of coffee  "Yawn" 
    Translation of 4000 year old words ??

If someone came into my house (especially at night uninvited) intending to do bodily harm to a wife and/or children, they will certainly be shot. 
    AS I would suppose would happen to me if I were to do the same.

If my neighbor is raising poisonus snakes and they are getting out of their boxes and coming to my house; I would go to my neighbor and protest. When he does not correct the problem, I might enter into his property and fix the problem myself.

I would expect him to do the same. 

Sometimes the thin line between right and wrong isn't thin at all.
      I have heard, Good fences between neighbors MAKE good neighbors.
    However, we can build a fence so tall that it falls and someone gets crushed.

Maybe I should wake up some more before commenting.

3. Paraglider profile image88

Jerami - both the scenarios you cite constitute self defence. I'm more concerned with military adventurism as advocated by a surprising number of religious folk.

And with the idea that it's OK to fall back on Moses as exemplar when Jesus is just too difficult (or wrong? Is that what we're saying?)

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Had to leave earlier and will have to do it again ,, just checking in for a few.

I was actually visualizing my two scenarios in a larger picture, rather than a personal one.
         Unfortunately, many times, nations streatch the truth a bit in order to gain popular public opinion to their agressive behaveior.

The good guys and bad guys all wear white hats, unlike in the old western movies when we could know the bad guys cause they wore black hats.

Sorry ...  gotta goe out some more

4. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

One man's kill is another man's murder.

5. Paraglider profile image88

The problem I was having was in persuading some people that they can't have it all ways. You can't claim that Jesus was always right AND it is sometimes right to disobey his teachings. You can't UNLESS you are prepared to admit moral relativism or situational ethics into the equation (which I was advocating). But that is anathema to the absolutists who insist there are absolute standards of good and evil.

And Merry Christmas to all from me too smile

1. aka-dj profile image63
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I'll take that.

I did my seasons greetings under the topic "Christmas", perhaps you saw it.

But, I repeat it back at you.
      Be blessed this Christmas season! smile

PS, very thought provoking thread!

Thank you - have a good one. I go home on Christmas Eve to spend a few weeks with family and friends in UK, before coming back out to the desert for another year or so.

6. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

I think that a Christian person definitely should not join the military with the intent to kill people but rather to defend our liberty and the liberty of our allies. That's what I like about the American military, they usually don't fight unless someone else is the aggressor.

Iraq being a major exception, of course!

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well say what you will about Iraq, but I think it is debatable. It definitely wasn't a conquest, we didn't get any oil from them. Everybody said that a maniac dictator had WMD's.

Not a conquest? Regime change, execution of leader, 100,000 Iraqi deaths.
          (But no WMDs - just hot air)

1. profile image0
            Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah conquest. no Subjugation, no plundering, no mass migrations, no forced culture changes. We removed the evil dictator, stabilized the government, and now we are packing up our stuff and leaving,(a little prematurely if you ask me).

Lots of lucrative contracts to rebuild the infrastructure, but of course,  no plundering...
              No mass migrations, just thousands rendered homeless, penniless, maimed or dead.
              But thank you for demonstrating to Cassie Smith (above) that Christians who support militarism are not a figment of my imagination wink

1. pisean282311 profile image63
                pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@paraglider u r right man...those who use any kind of force under any reason are not following christ in principal...Christ didnt use force even to protect himself forget rest....The use of force in any name is mostly for political reasons and can be linked with broader theory and must not be seen from narrow prism of religion....

Hi pisean - personally, I'm a pragmatist in such matters. I think that sometimes force is justified (though not nearly as often as it is used). But I am not religious in any way and I support situational ethics. I worry about those who claim to know absolute right and wrong, especially when they back up their 'knowledge' by highly selective scripture.

2. manlypoetryman profile image76

"Christ didnt use force even to protect himself" is the perfect example of Peace.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
                    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Manly, good to see you again here...Your team (Houston Texans) is rolling, mine lost last night..

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
              Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As a Christian, can you not mourn the deaths of the Iraqi people and say that the war was wrong? Can you not mourn the death of US/UK soldiers and say that the war was wrong? I know from reading your previous posts that you are a college graduate. Looking back, were the lives of all those people, worth it for a "Maniac dictator?"  Or, do some Christians believe that some lives are worth more than others?

7. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Hi Dave... I think almost all culture value life, but to the effect that some people think that to sacrifice their life - to kill for others sake is the highest form of value, and to be killed is an honor in whatever value they upheld. - Personally I don't understand that, but who is to say a culture is wrong in believing that way? People indulge war for various reasons, mostly economic, also in defense if somebody attack them, sometimes in offense too.

Hi Maita - Merry Christmas smile

There is too much pro-war rhetoric flying about in the public domain. War is always a failure of diplomacy. Sometimes though, it is a deliberate failure engineered by vested interests in conflict.

Merry Christmas too! Thanks....Are you going home to UK????? or you are stuck there in Middle East? Post those pics again like LAST YEAR, SNOW PICS if you go home...

8. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

sorry, I think we ambushed this thread already.....

1. manlypoetryman profile image76

Hmmm...probably...Sorry, PG...and others that have inputted.

2. Paraglider profile image88

Anything you do is fine with me smile

Yes, I'm going home on Christmas Eve for 3 weeks. The snow hasn't arrived yet, but there will probably be some while I'm there.

Thanks and enjoy your vacation....Don't forget to get pics.. it is getting foggy here and raining but no snow at the moment...

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Not my topic.!

Not my op!

I will let it be, not my problem.

10. paradigmsearch profile image60

Oh, my!

11. paradigmsearch profile image60

Kinda next be

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

Closed. big_smile

Nice to see someone happy smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)