Do people use God as an excuse to not take personal responsibility for

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 12 years ago

thier actions?

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont think some people are even honest about it with themselves. I think that the people who claim that their actions are what god wants, actually believe it themselves.

2. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, they use the devil as an excuse!  "The devil made me do it"

I know right? I wish people would take responsibility for their own actions.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some do all the time and probably all do some of the time.

But mainly (at least Christians) use God as the reason TO take personal responsibility for their actions.

1. janesix profile image59
        janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL..you're FUNNY Brenda

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been called worse.  It's nice to see somebody appreciate my humorous side.  So, thank you!  But...how did you know? (Since that post of mine wasn't humorous).  Are you...eh...psychic??  LOL
          (I am kidding about the psychic part of course).

2. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you really need God in order to be responsible for yourself, never ever stop believing then!

I would ask that you try to understand that quite a lot of people don't need invisible super deities to take responsibility for themselves. Some people realize that no one else can live their life for them and thus it is an impossibility for anyone else to be responsible for their lives. It's my life and its my responsibility, and I don't want anyone taking responsibility for my life even if they want to force me to give them that responsibility. Freedom dies when personal responsibility is abandoned.

4. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes; some people do

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Actually, people use absolutely everything as an excuse to not take personal responsibility for their actions.

1. OutWest profile image56
      OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bravo!  So true.  It has nothing to do with or without God.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

1. 2besure profile image80
        2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True Jeff, very true!

3. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 12 years ago

Naturally.  Because if God is in control of your actions then you can do whatever you want because it would be sanctioned by God.  No thinking required.

I love the concept of free will when god is all knowing because if god knows everything ahead of time then how can you do anything different to what god already knows you will do?

I've seen many arguments about this. One person even went so far as to argue that your actions change what god already knew.

Hilarious.

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You have this all backwards.
        Free will is interesting.
        If you consider what socks you will wear today, what you will have for breakfast or how much gas to put in the car as part of free will then this is wrong. These are just normal decisions encountered in everyday life.

There is only one free will action that God is concerned about and that is whether you will believe in Him, everything else is not free will. We are free to do as we will. God hardened pharoahs heart. The same hand that picks up a pencil can choke somebody, but not all people do. To say that God had something to do with charles manson is treading a very thin line.

I don't make excuses for God about how he and the future is but there are an incredible amount of prophecies in the bible about what will happen to whom and when this will occur and some of these take place a hundred or more years after the announcement.
        The entire OT is full of types and shadows of greater things to come and of Jesus christ, killed.
        God is really 100% accurate about future events.
        How He does this i do not fully understand.
        Jacob i loved but Esau i hated.. even before they were born!.
        Sarah will have a child (at age 85 ) and abrahams seed will be as the stars.
        There is no doubt that contained in the bible are thousands of future predictions, this is unparalleled and sets the bible apart from all other books. Gods predictions are accurate to the name of the person, the event and the outcome.

But when it comes to people the only predestination he has is by his permissive will - that we become sons of God.
        Does He know who will and who will not?

well,
        God only knows smile

1. kirstenblog profile image78
          kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if you are aware of this but there have been lots and lots of people who have murdered others (possibly by choking them, tho probably other methods where employed more frequently) that absolutely believed in God. I guess they are up in heaven now kickin it with God? Since that's all God is concerned with. Their actions? Na, only their beliefs are important.... roll

http://markbiwwa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/bullshit.jpg

2. Rafini profile image81
        Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't consider God to be a "micro-manager." 

I believe God to be the ultimate 'Boss'  (if you will) in that He sets the rules to follow yet understands that sometimes His "expectations" will fall short.

1. Rafini profile image81
          Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

oops!  lol  I meant 'sometimes people will fall short of His "expectations"'

4. Rev Bruce Jackson profile image66
    Rev Bruce Jacksonposted 12 years ago

It is the same type of hypocrisy that Jesus sought to address much like John the Baptist shared when he called the religious leaders a "brood of vipers." It is a teaching that allows many to use salvation as an excuse for doing whatever since Jesus already paid for their sins.  Unfortunately, the lack of biblical teaching causes many to live as superficial saints.

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I think the born agains who ' found Jesus' as adults are sometimes prone to think that. And the Catholic thing with the confessional always made me suspicious.

But, I also think some of the religious  can have an overly developed conscience and they truly regret when they fall short of who they would like to be. I think the concept of forgiveness on a cosmic level is a valuable option in the arsenal of helping people find peace within themselves. When used sparingly.

6. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

right...quite right...

7. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

Yes! Yes! and Double Yes!
    The rest of the time it's the devils fault instead. No one is ever responsible for themselves roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)